Postpartum Chat - June - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Aww, you read my blog? I thought my mother was pretty much the only one. :p Yeah, unfortunately, it's not really the kind of blog that lends itself to relevant, high-CPC ads. Some blogs make a ton of money with ads, but they're mostly topical blogs (like, a midwifery blog would lend itself to ads for cloth diapers, sphygnonometers, doula services etc), with a high readership. And it helps if you blog about taxes or real estate, which is not something I could ever see myself doing...

 

I've written a bunch of online articles about natural haircare, and could probably revamp some of them to start a blog about that (perfectly legal, copyright-wise, for the articles over a year old); but I'm frankly kind of over that topic.

 

I guess I could pitch something to Mothering... I've always been a bit intimidated by it, especially as I tend to cite Mothering articles in my AP articles for my regular writing gig! I'll think on it, though. Anyone know if and what they pay?

 

You're Australasian? From whereabouts? I live in NZ at the moment, but spent six years in Victoria as a kidling. Ever heard of Echuca? (It's OK, no-one ever has....)


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it could definitely be worth pitching to Mothering. Something to think about, at least.

 

I'm Sydney born & raised. My parents & extended family are all Kiwis. My mum's from Auckland, dad's from Christchurch (actually London, originally, but he moved to NZ as a boy).

 

I can't say I've heard of Echuca. ;)


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
 
sharita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

. Only bad news is, Finn gets so hot and sweaty from having to be swaddled ALL THE TIME, that he has a prickly heat rash... any suggestions???

 

I was just wondering this myself.  I just dug out my swaddle blanket and gave it a try and finally got an hour to myself while she slept!  However, now she has a horrible heat rash even though she only had a onesie on underneath and the AC was on.  Poor girl already has super sensitive skin and is always broken out as I am new to having to launder a babies clothes seperate, and now another rash on top of it.


 homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

sharita is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 AM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Huh. I have sort of the opposite problem... I feel like Miles should get naked time, but it's too cold! The swaddle's great at keeping him warm, though.

 

Could you dress the baby in just a nappy, and use a light cotton sheet or portion thereof to swaddle her? Or could you try using a fairly narrow strip of cloth to swaddle just her arms? I'm pretty sure it's the arm restraint factor that keeps Miles happy in a swaddle; he doesn't care so much if his legs are free. You'd want to be very careful she didn't strangle herself with the strip of cloth, of course...

 

Or you could pop the swaddling fabric in the fridge for a bit first. :p Like we used to do with our pillowcases as kids in summer! Or better still, you could put the whole baby... no wait, that's probably sleep deprivation talking. Never mind.

 

MW came around today and seemed positively disappointed that I had nothing to report. Breastfeeding's going fine, he's filthying up his nappies on a regular basis, sleeping just fine, I'm not haemmorhaging or suicidal or otherwise clinically interesting... we ended up having a five-minute discussion about Jodi Picoult, I gave her some baby shampoos and stuff which people keep giving me, and which we don't use (we're pretty much water-only washers here) so she could pass them on to other clients, and then she left. I felt vaguely guilty for wasting her time, but then, I think she's required by the government to make a certain number of postpartum visits, and at least this one was short and sweet!

 

Discovered today while attempting to get my new credit card up and running that we're even broker than I thought... as in, DH had better start raking in some big bucks within the next month, or we'll be Living In Cardboard Box In Middle Of Road. Sigh. It did inspire me to send my invoice in for my last article... not that I'll get paid for a few months anyway. Spent some time looking up ways to make money writing online; sadly, it's not my first time looking that up, and it seems no exciting new opportunities have opened up since last time. And my employment options were never very rosy, ever... and I'd imagine far less so with a less-than-two-week-old baby, even if I wanted a job, and I imagine DH's manly pride would forbid it anyway. Arrrgh.


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 AM
 
MaryElizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Bragg
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a cotton muslin swaddling blanket, and last night I did actually try to just swaddle his arms and let the legs be open....he still was a big sweat ball :( I have the air on 70! <--- our bill is going to be out of control! Anywho, I have found that wiping him down with a wash cloth and then applying California Babies Calendula cream is helping. Poor kid hasn't even gotten to wear any of his clothes yet haha

 

Smokering- I hope you find a good money making idea! I have looked and looked and looked before and never found what would work for me. But, then again, you have skills--- me, not so much :)


Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
MaryElizabeth is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, I am so never going to catch up with all of this!

 

I am thrilled to report that the bleeding has just about stopped!! YAY!! Down to just a tiny bit that only requires one of those tiny pantyliners. Thank God! There isn't much worse than having to wear a pad in the summer time. Yuck.

 

Baby has been extra fussy the past day or so, and he has diarrhea. Like total liquid poops without hardly any of those little seedy bits in them. I've been nursing him extra because of this. I wonder if he got a bit of a bug somehow, or if he got dehydrated.

 

I've been super sweaty at night lately and it's awful. Ezrah sleeps on my chest at least half the time, and the past few nights I've been waking up with both of us totally drenched from sweat. It's so gross! I'm trying to find the balance between keeping him warm and keeping me from overheating. So far I haven't been able to do it. It's made it a little harder than normal to get any sleep because I'm SO dang hot all the time! We have our AC on all the time and most of the time it feels just right.

 

Oh, and we have a flea infestation in our house. Lovely, right? I'm not sure what's different about this year than any other. We've never had issues before and the fleas have always been well-controlled with the flea drops once a month and the occasional bath in flea soap for the pets. We literally had to rip the carpet out of 3 rooms because the fleas were SO bad. You couldn't walk on the carpet without your legs being covered in fleas. Disgusting. So I'm obsessively vacuuming the house, and making the kids do it, and washing everything I can in hot water, and sprinkling diatomaceous earth all over the remaining rugs and carpets and washing the dogs and cats like there's no tomorrow... Ugh!! Thankfully the baby hasn't been bitten by any fleas yet and I'm hoping and praying that he won't because we'll soon have the fleas gone from the house.

 

Ok. Off to go vacuum some more!


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Bah. So Miles has developed a charming habit of suckling until I let down, and then getting frightened by the quantity of milk emanating forth, and pulling off so I drip all over him. Lovely. We now both permanently smell of rancid breastmilk. Last night he was pesking around more than usual - wouldn't drink properly, just kept sort of playing with the milks - and by morning was absolutely drenched, swaddle and all.

 

On the, um, bright side, DH had a creative response to our financial crisis. He went online and bought a $150 make-it-yourself model of the Enterprise-A. It's nice to know our children's future is in such good hands. :p


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Lidamama84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lol, Smokering, I have a similar "problem", because I have so much milk it chokes Elanora :p


Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
Lidamama84 is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

$150?! *facepalm*

 

I'm also really glad the PP bleeding is almost over. 

 

Jenni, fleas aside, how's it all going having a newborn? Do you get much help from your mother? And how's your older son doing?

 

I finally had my first excursion outside the house since giving birth. We didn't even go far and I'm absolutely exhausted! We'll try a longer trip tomorrow. I need to get my fitness levels back up again after weeks of barely moving.

 

DD is just getting cuter every day. The newborn puffiness is wearing off and her features are becoming more refined. She's just beautiful.

 

We had another fussy couple of hours this evening. I just don't know what to do for her! She acts hungry, but then she doesn't seem to want the breast when i offer it.

 

She's currently asleep in her crib next to our bed. I'm sure it won't last long, but I'm enjoying having some personal space for a little while. Ahh I jinxed it - she's already started squirming.


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
 
sharita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Wow, I am so never going to catch up with all of this!

 

I am thrilled to report that the bleeding has just about stopped!! YAY!! Down to just a tiny bit that only requires one of those tiny pantyliners. Thank God! There isn't much worse than having to wear a pad in the summer time. Yuck.

 

Baby has been extra fussy the past day or so, and he has diarrhea. Like total liquid poops without hardly any of those little seedy bits in them. I've been nursing him extra because of this. I wonder if he got a bit of a bug somehow, or if he got dehydrated.

 

I've been super sweaty at night lately and it's awful. Ezrah sleeps on my chest at least half the time, and the past few nights I've been waking up with both of us totally drenched from sweat. It's so gross! I'm trying to find the balance between keeping him warm and keeping me from overheating. So far I haven't been able to do it. It's made it a little harder than normal to get any sleep because I'm SO dang hot all the time! We have our AC on all the time and most of the time it feels just right.

 

Oh, and we have a flea infestation in our house. Lovely, right? I'm not sure what's different about this year than any other. We've never had issues before and the fleas have always been well-controlled with the flea drops once a month and the occasional bath in flea soap for the pets. We literally had to rip the carpet out of 3 rooms because the fleas were SO bad. You couldn't walk on the carpet without your legs being covered in fleas. Disgusting. So I'm obsessively vacuuming the house, and making the kids do it, and washing everything I can in hot water, and sprinkling diatomaceous earth all over the remaining rugs and carpets and washing the dogs and cats like there's no tomorrow... Ugh!! Thankfully the baby hasn't been bitten by any fleas yet and I'm hoping and praying that he won't because we'll soon have the fleas gone from the house.

 

Ok. Off to go vacuum some more!



Must be nice!  For the first week, I was thinking I was going to have a short bleeding time this time (opposite of the 8 weeks last time) but it picked up though I don't do too much but sit around, lol.  I am going on 3 weeks PP now and its still bright red but I think the flow has slowed.  I have some great long pantyliners that would work fine if they were long enough but unfortunatly the only ones that are long enough (since I seem to need coverage in the very front and very back but nothing in the middle, lol) are the huge ones I got for immediately PP and so I am still wearing the huge bulky diaper feeling ones.  Until I make it back to the store anyway. 

   As for fleas, strange that I have seen several in my apartment and have gotten some bites though we dont own a single pet!!!!  Only thing I can think is they are bad this year and maybe someone in the building owns one, but still not sure how or why they would be in my apartment.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Bah. So Miles has developed a charming habit of suckling until I let down, and then getting frightened by the quantity of milk emanating forth, and pulling off so I drip all over him. Lovely. We now both permanently smell of rancid breastmilk. Last night he was pesking around more than usual - wouldn't drink properly, just kept sort of playing with the milks - and by morning was absolutely drenched, swaddle and all.

 

On the, um, bright side, DH had a creative response to our financial crisis. He went online and bought a $150 make-it-yourself model of the Enterprise-A. It's nice to know our children's future is in such good hands. :p



Gigi does the same thing.  She will be just sucking along and then I feel the let down coming and thats when she pops off and just stares at me as it goes everywhere soaking the both of us.  Guess it only took a few times of her gagging with my forceful let down that she learned this trick, lol.  Makes for a wet night when I fall asleep while nursing.  I hate waking up all wet and she has dried milk all over her face, poor baby!!!


 homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

sharita is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 PM
 
MaryElizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Bragg
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am jealous of your flowing milk! Finn eats so much, so often that I am struggling to keep up! I can't shove enough food and water down my throat. I have been attempting to pump to actually see how much he wants/can drink in a feeding. This led me to see that my left breast is already giving up the ghost :( This happened with DD, but not until 4-5 months. I am hoping that it will pick back up... bc this baby needs both!!! At least I know that he likes the BreastFlow bottles and can drink from them easily and then immediately pop on the boob, take a paci, or whatever no problem! Still battling the prickly heat rash---- it's terrible!

 

Jenni-- I would DIE. I had a flea infestation once and it about killed me! I will be praying for you extra hard.

 

I also have lost my eat-sleep-eat-sleep newborn :( He is starting to get fussy and I don't like it! Here goes walking around with him permanently attached to either my boob or in the Moby....ugh.

 


Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
MaryElizabeth is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Bah. So Miles has developed a charming habit of suckling until I let down, and then getting frightened by the quantity of milk emanating forth, and pulling off so I drip all over him. Lovely. We now both permanently smell of rancid breastmilk. Last night he was pesking around more than usual - wouldn't drink properly, just kept sort of playing with the milks - and by morning was absolutely drenched, swaddle and all.

 

On the, um, bright side, DH had a creative response to our financial crisis. He went online and bought a $150 make-it-yourself model of the Enterprise-A. It's nice to know our children's future is in such good hands. :p


I had this issue with DD! She eventually figured out that it works better to stay latched on and she learned how to handle the milk. Ezrah seems to do this every so often as well, and then he gets squirted in the face with milk! I've started tucking a dry cloth diaper under whichever breast I'm feeding from so I can catch some of the milk and not have it dripping everywhere.

 

I think I would have smacked him in the head, with a bat, had he done that! That's a lot of money to be spending when you're worried about money! MEN!!



Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

 

Jenni, fleas aside, how's it all going having a newborn? Do you get much help from your mother? And how's your older son doing?

 

I finally had my first excursion outside the house since giving birth. We didn't even go far and I'm absolutely exhausted! We'll try a longer trip tomorrow. I need to get my fitness levels back up again after weeks of barely moving.

 

DD is just getting cuter every day. The newborn puffiness is wearing off and her features are becoming more refined. She's just beautiful.

 

We had another fussy couple of hours this evening. I just don't know what to do for her! She acts hungry, but then she doesn't seem to want the breast when i offer it.

 

She's currently asleep in her crib next to our bed. I'm sure it won't last long, but I'm enjoying having some personal space for a little while. Ahh I jinxed it - she's already started squirming.


Having a newborn is actually pretty great! I was so nervous that it would be a total disaster, but so far it's been pretty good. Since he was born a little before his EDD I get almost exactly 3 full months with him before I have to start back at school! Which will give us plenty of time to establish a good milk supply, a good routine, and hopefully be getting good rest every night, consistently. My mom helps out a little with the baby, but (here I go jinxing it) he's such a good baby that he really doesn't require all that much. We're still operating pretty much as we were before Ezrah was born: we share cooking and cleaning, the kids do their share, and it works because we're all pitching in.

 

My big kids are doing good, older DS seems to have good days and bad days. His main issue is that he isn't really listening or following directions lately. Combined with the lovely adolescent attitude it makes for some challenging times. However, he's currently lost just about every privilege he has because of his behavior, choices and attitude so I've started to see some change for the better. :) 

 

RE: the fussiness in the evening... we have that here too. I started taking him outside when he starts doing his evening fussy thing. We'll sit in the lounge chair or he'll be in his stroller, and I'll read or nurse him. Usually I read and he lays there and looks around at things. I think his evening fussiness is really him saying, "I'm bored and I'm tired of looking at the ceilings all day long!"  The sound of the cicadas really soothes him and he loves to look up at the trees. We went to the lake on Saturday and he slept almost the whole day, because being outside is that relaxing for him. So maybe try taking her outside and see if that helps?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

As for fleas, strange that I have seen several in my apartment and have gotten some bites though we dont own a single pet!!!!  Only thing I can think is they are bad this year and maybe someone in the building owns one, but still not sure how or why they would be in my apartment.


The fleas live in the grass, so they're probably just hitching a ride on you when you're walking past them outside. We seem to have conquered the fleas that are ON the pets, still working on the ones that are living in the house. Yuck.  :(



Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

I am jealous of your flowing milk! Finn eats so much, so often that I am struggling to keep up! I can't shove enough food and water down my throat. I have been attempting to pump to actually see how much he wants/can drink in a feeding. This led me to see that my left breast is already giving up the ghost :( This happened with DD, but not until 4-5 months. I am hoping that it will pick back up... bc this baby needs both!!! At least I know that he likes the BreastFlow bottles and can drink from them easily and then immediately pop on the boob, take a paci, or whatever no problem! Still battling the prickly heat rash---- it's terrible!

 

Jenni-- I would DIE. I had a flea infestation once and it about killed me! I will be praying for you extra hard.

 

I also have lost my eat-sleep-eat-sleep newborn :( He is starting to get fussy and I don't like it! Here goes walking around with him permanently attached to either my boob or in the Moby....ugh.

 

 

Try some oatmeal for breakfast every morning. It helps with milk supply. You can also take fenugreek capsules and blessed thistle to help with milk.

 

 

It seems that whatever was causing tummy problems for baby, they're over! He's back to his normal poops & he's peeing more again. Looks like my "cure" of nursing more worked!
 

 


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM
 
MaryElizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Bragg
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jenni-- I now feel your pain with the fleas... only I have HUGE roaches. Two have entered and completely freaked me out in the past two days. I hate hate hate hate roaches!

 

I'm so glad that his tummy troubles are better :) And thanks for reminding me to take these babies outside more often! It looks like a walk is in our future...


Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
MaryElizabeth is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
 
heathenmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On the Homestead
Posts: 2,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, insect issues seem to be, ah, bugging everybody!  duck.gif We have ants.  I know it's due to the drought, plus the fact that I cannot make my girls understand that food and drinks stay IN THE KITCHEN.  We had them so bad in my sister's house (we lived with her while building our house) that I ended up with some kind of weird PTSD or something.  Currently I've found them in the kitchen, dining room, downstairs bathroom, living room, and the girls' bedroom.  I also keep finding random ants crawling on me and it is really driving me nuts.  I can deal with just about anything but ants.  wild.gif


hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

heathenmom is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post


Having a newborn is actually pretty great! I was so nervous that it would be a total disaster, but so far it's been pretty good. Since he was born a little before his EDD I get almost exactly 3 full months with him before I have to start back at school! Which will give us plenty of time to establish a good milk supply, a good routine, and hopefully be getting good rest every night, consistently. My mom helps out a little with the baby, but (here I go jinxing it) he's such a good baby that he really doesn't require all that much. We're still operating pretty much as we were before Ezrah was born: we share cooking and cleaning, the kids do their share, and it works because we're all pitching in.

 

My big kids are doing good, older DS seems to have good days and bad days. His main issue is that he isn't really listening or following directions lately. Combined with the lovely adolescent attitude it makes for some challenging times. However, he's currently lost just about every privilege he has because of his behavior, choices and attitude so I've started to see some change for the better. :) 

 

RE: the fussiness in the evening... we have that here too. I started taking him outside when he starts doing his evening fussy thing. We'll sit in the lounge chair or he'll be in his stroller, and I'll read or nurse him. Usually I read and he lays there and looks around at things. I think his evening fussiness is really him saying, "I'm bored and I'm tired of looking at the ceilings all day long!"  The sound of the cicadas really soothes him and he loves to look up at the trees. We went to the lake on Saturday and he slept almost the whole day, because being outside is that relaxing for him. So maybe try taking her outside and see if that helps?


I'm glad everything's going pretty well with the kids, big & small!

 

I think you're right about the boredom. I remember DD1 being this way too. I'd have to be walking her around the house, showing her books and toys constantly until she eventually got tired and went to sleep.

 

DD1 is off daycare for summer holidays and she's already way off schedule. It's 11.30pm here and she's still up. It's making me a little crazy because by the time she goes to bed, DH & I are exhausted too and hardly get a moment to ourselves before bed. We need to get back on track! I have three episodes of So You Think You Can Dance that I haven't had a chance to watch yet. orngtongue.gif

 

We finally made it downtown to a café today. It was pretty painless. :) DD2 slept the entire time, and DD1 was well-behaved. Our waitress had pink hair, which sparked many questions from DD1, who is now planning to "paint" her hair pink too.

 

I'm going to try to make it to the mall tomorrow. I desperately need clothes! Everything I have is either maternity, or stuff that's depressingly small. I can barely get my pre-pregnancy pants over my knees! Hopefully I'll find something cute to wear while I'm losing the baby weight.

 


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
 
Lidamama84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Snowflake, I hear you re: the clothes. Even my "fat" clothes from last DD are too small!!! Nothing like that to make me feel huge!!!

 

We have an ant problem here too. That and the mosquitoes this year are AWFUL!!! Argh!!!

 

To those who are pumping, I wouldn't take what you can pump and equal it to what baby is drinking. I can barely pump two ounces but have never had any supply issues. I just have trouble getting milk out unless there's a baby there. On the other hand, only you can tell if your baby is getting enough :)

 

AFM, I went to our local second-hand store yesterday because they had a 50% off sale. Bought a bunch of clothes for me and the girls and only paid $45 :)  I just LOVE a bargain!

 

I was also diagnosed with a staph infection on my arm yesterday. Blah! All I need right now.


Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
Lidamama84 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yawn. Erk. I "overdid" it again yesterday, apparently. I can't think how - all I did was a bit of housework and cooking - but combined with a not-so-great night on the part of the baby (burps, I think), I'm absolutely zonked again today. Nearly fainted in the shower, and crawled straight back to bed afterwards.

 

Luckily Mum's taking DD to dancing class again this afternoon. DH and I are going to venture out to spend a birthday voucher I got - a $50 one for a fancy clothing store. Unfortunately I'm not sure you can buy much at said store for $50 and we don't have much extra money to spend, but the voucher expires at the end of June (ie. tomorrow), so at the worst I can "buy" a bracelet or something and sell it online, maybe. Kind of a pity - I could really use some new clothes - but then, my size hasn't settled down yet either. At least, I hope it hasn't. :p

 

Am I the only one who's terrified of the prospect of going out alone with two kids? I'm fine with dragging DD around on errands - well, I should be by now, she's three! - but throw Miles into the mix and it's a scary, scary prospect. The carseat, figuring out how to carry him... I haven't actually used the mei tai, although DH has a bunch of times!... our pram doesn't fit in the boot of our car, and Miles has never been in it anyway... I don't know, it just intimidates me. I guess I'll have to get over it eventually; I can't make DH come along on all my grocery trips for the next three years.

 

Boo to ants, roaches and other creepy-crawlies! (Including staph infections, if they count as "creepy-crawlies"....)

 

So, anyone have a differential diagnosis for Miles' problem last night? He kept waking up and growling. Very odd. Growly, talky noises; they didn't sound upset at first, but then after a while he'd try to latch on, then give up, flail around the milks for a while and start to cry. I couldn't get him to take a decent feed all night, except for once when he lay across my chest (which was a pain, because he didn't get the angle right and I had to lie there pressing my breast down with one finger so his nose wasn't squashed against it, so he could breathe... you know how it is!) I thought he might have burps, but we kept burping him and didn't get many out, and he's usually pretty easy to burp. Anyway it was odd, and annoying. Any ideas? He wasn't swaddled, but then he was this morning and was still doing it to some extent. He wasn't hot or cold... He doesn't usually "talk" much, so the noises were unusual (and kinda cute, just not at 2AM!)


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh yeah, I'm definitely afraid of going out with two kids, especially seeing as I don't have a driver's license (at the age of 28...ridiculous, I know!). DD1 has already figured out that she can act up because my hands are full with the baby.

 

Hey, I found my first white hair today. At first I thought it was just a really blonde hair, but nope, white. Hrmph.


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, I just got my driver's license this year, while pregnant with Miles, so I do understand. It was getting ridiculous - DH doesn't have a car license either (motorbike, yes), so my mother was driving us all to church each week, and really, that was a tad pathetic. But it was still extremely scary for me to learn to drive. DH has been driving illegally for all our errands since I had the baby - ulp! He can drive, perfectly well, but he can't get his license until he gets a new pair of glasses so he can pass the eye test, and we can't afford new glasses right now... or a fine for driving without a license, unfortunately. So it's all a bit fraught.

 

White hair is kinda cool! You could grow out a Rogue-like silver streak. :p I henna my hair, and whenever the roots grow out they look grey... but I don't think they actually are, it's just that the dull dishwater-blonde/mousy-brown colour I naturally have looks really dull against the hennaed red. If it were really grey it'd look much oranger when hennaed. But it still gives me a fright on a regular basis - I'm only 25! I do want to have snow-white hair one day, though - here's hoping I get the white-hair gene, not the grey-haired one. My mother's going a lovely salt-and-pepper, but her hair is totally different to mine, so we'll see...


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 PM
 
painefaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the road again
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Hey, I found my first white hair today. At first I thought it was just a really blonde hair, but nope, white. Hrmph.


Funny so did I...

SO I haven't posted in a while, Keegan is doing well. He was 11lbs at his 1month well baby visit (7lb6oz to start with). We are struggling with an oversupply issue and some "colic" in the evenings. We are currently sitting up even though I will need to be up at 4am to get DP off to work. greensad.gif shhhhh he is actually sleeping in the swing, it only took 2 hours. Momma's with older children how are the "big's" doing? Holden is still struggling with not being the center of attention and has taken to acting out every chance that he can get. Bed time and nap time are horrendous. We have tried many things (star charts, other incentives, taking things away, etc) it continues to be a train wreck. It took DP 2 hours to put him down for a nap and tonight it took me 1.5 hours (while juggling colicky and barfing baby). BTW giving up nap is not an option because DP works from 4am to 8:30 and needs that nap to make it through the day especially since she has not been getting to bed until 10pm because of Keegan. Any Ideas?

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg
 
 
 
  

painefaria is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM
 
BHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoa mamas. It just hit me that it's almost July.......!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

BHappy is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have finally crossed over to the other side, and made it into this thread! Amelia was born on 6-25 and we are both doing quite well considering. I'm feeling fairly energetic, at least as much as I'd expect at this stage. Have only lost 10 lbs or so (she weighed 7 lb 10 oz) out of the 45 I put on... so much for my Bradley method instructor saying that all the Bradley moms she knew left the hospital at their pre-pregnancy weight! We are doing reasonably well with nursing but it is still kind of a production each time. Oh, we were in the emergency room last night because she has congenital hip dysplasia (diagnosed in the hospital, rare but runs in families and I also had it as a baby, easily correctable by wearing a brace if caught early, so we're not too worried) and we managed (actually, I managed, trying to put her in a bulky cloth dipe) to get her hip out of joint... OUCH! They weren't able to do a whole lot other than reposition it a bit and tell us to wait for our appointment with orthopedics. The nurse was super-nice and a mom of 6, and she coached me about how to deal with engorgement, found me a pump and helped me take care of it... I fed Amelia and pumped 7 oz! Ye gods. Guess I do not have a supply problem at all.

 

Going to a breastfeeding support group at the hospital here in a bit. We've had so many questions and for the most part all of our medical providers have been super-helpful (except the ER resident who said her hip will pop in and out and it's no big deal... okay, maybe it will pop in and out, but she was screaming in pain, and I call that a big deal). Hubby has been more paranoid than me, because he didn't do all the research, and so any time anything goes a little bit off the rails he starts to panic, so it was nice to have our doc set him straight that if she's not feeding for very long each time, but she is still peeing and pooping and not losing weight, she's fine, really. Both sets of grandparents have been on deck and have been so helpful--my parents have been keeping us fed and advised us on having a baby with hip dysplasia, his have cleaned and organized practically our entire house (to our specifications, mind).

 

For all my railing about gender-neutral clothes, I do think Amelia looks good in pink. It brings out a nice peachy-pink tone in her skin. I'm feeling a little jealous--I thought I glowed towards the end of pregnancy, but now I'm pale and pasty, wearing whatever random button-down shirt I can find that fits (and I have ONE bra that fits now and it's not a nursing bra, so I pretty much have to strip off to nurse and a button-down is the only way to really maintain any coverage... ugh! Going to order nursing bras online soon), and she's soooo stinking gorgeous! I'm not the prettiest girl in this house anymore. Oh well, I made a human, so who cares what anybody else thinks?

erigeron is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
Oh well, I made a human, so who cares what anybody else thinks?


This is exactly how I feel! I tell myself this over and over when we're out in public to make myself feel better about my still flabby stomach and my generally disorganized appearance. Of course, I keep having people tell me that I look "great" for having a newborn. I think I look normal, so now I'm wondering what people expect new moms to look like. Walking around in pajamas with unbrushed hair and spit up everywhere?

 

Last night I just about committed murder. DS was online "looking" at Game Gears on eBay. He wants to sell his Nintendo DS and all the games and buy a Game Gear instead so I guess he was price-checking. Well, the child BID on a GG instead!!! And he BOUGHT a Playstation 2 game! WE DON'T EVEN OWN A PS2!!!! Thankfully the Game Gear seller canceled his bid. I still haven't heard back from the guy he bought the game from. I'm hoping he can cancel it. If not, I'll have to pay for the game plus the shipping so I can smash the game into little bitty pieces and then DS will be paying me back. I am STILL furious about this. The worst part is that I was sitting 10 feet away from him, feeding the baby, and I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was "just looking" AS HE WAS BUYING STUFF!!! GAH!!

 

My daily prayer for him is that he USE his brain in a constructive manner on a regular basis and that he stop causing so many problems for himself and others.

 

On a happier note, I made an appointment for a consultation with an OB to have the Adiana done. It's like the Essure, but it's medical-grade silicone instead of metal. The receptionist said that after the consultation the doctor would want me to let what we talk about "marinate" to make sure that it's what I really want to do. I told her there was no need to marinate, I was sure. I used to feel sad and upset at the thought of never having any more kids, but now I know for sure that I am DONE and I don't feel sad about this choice. Just happy and glad to be done. I adore Ezrah, but I am not going through another pregnancy and birth, and I am not up for adding any more babies to my family.

 

I suppose I should go find some breakfast now... TTFN!

 


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
 
MaryElizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Bragg
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Smokering-- Did you ever figure out what was up with Miles? Finn has been doing this, and I have deducted that it is gas/trying to get a #2 out. He is a gassy baby and at night while nursing in bed, I rarely take the time to sit up and burp him so I think it makes the problem worse.

 

Do you ladies nurse on both sides at night (or even during the day)? Do you burp the baby at night? I can sense the "colicky baby" symptoms are coming and I am trying to fend them off before it becomes a 24 hour screaming nightmare like with DDdizzy.gif

 

Finn's BM's are starting to worry me a little too. His normal amount of poop is about a teaspoon and on rare occasions he will have a "blow out" of about a tablespoon. Normally, he has a little poop in every diaper that usually accompanies gas ---> he is a very, very loud gassy baby haha    The Ped. told me this was fine...as long as he is pooping, the amount doesn't matter. I just seem to think that he should have a lot more in there and with the amount that he is eating.... I am scared of him being constipated. Am I being a nutcase for wanting more poop??

P.S. He has a wet diaper at least every 2 hours. I've never changed a dry diaper.

 

Jenni-- I am so sorry that your DS is acting up :( I can't imagine how frustrating it must be.... I will keep you and him in my prayershug2.gif

I also have come to the conclusion that I am DONE. This pregnancy REALLY took a toll on my body and I am struggling to keep it together with DD and DS....I do NOT understand how you do it with more! I never thought that I would only have 2... but for my sanity and for the sake of my poor DH, I think we are going to be a 1950's family of 4 haha. DH is talking about getting a vasectomy... we shall see!

 

I think I might try to go out by myself today... that is, with both babies. Pray for me...
 


Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
MaryElizabeth is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
 
Lidamama84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our older DD is actually being VERY good about the baby thing. I was terrified at first, because she just turned 2 (terrible twos, etc), but all she wants to do is kiss the baby. It's really, really sweet. She has figured out, however, that when I have the carseat in my hands+diaper bag, I can't run after her if she runs off. We had one dash into the street incident, luckily it was on a very quiet street, but I still did my best to scare her straight. However, this past week she's calmed down and actually LISTENS. She'll stay beside me in the store and only make one or two attempts to dash. Ahhhh. I actually found the transition to taking two out not so bad, but the baby lives in her carrier so I have hands for my eldest. It definitely gets more complicated, especially with the unpredictable newborn feeds (every 3.5hrs, every 2hrs, every hour!!!), but I just plop myself down either in the car or on a bench and feed the baby while DD1 runs around or sits and has a snack. I actually don't know how some of you mammas are still housebound. I would have lost it LONG ago. Even on my first days back from the hospital when I was supposed to be housebound, I still made DH take me for a drive every day so I could at least SEE people.  Lol, I can totally see myself turning into one of those nutters who goes to a drive-thru just to talk to the people ;p

 

As far as naps/bedtimes go, I have one word for you, Painefaria: EXCERCISE. DD1 walks and walks and walks all day (well, we take her on those walks ;p) I estimate she walks around 2km a day, or more, when you count running around the park. DH also takes her swimming some mornings which ensures a BEAUTIFUL nap. For naptime we put her in her bed and turn on the radio. She's allowed to read in bed until she falls asleep, but she still tries to come out. We just put her back in her bed. It sometimes makes for a long afternoon/evening, but I just sit and watch tv while I keep an eye on her door. Maybe your DP could take a nap with your eldest? My MW suggested family naps to me, actually, but I just can't stand being poked by DD until she falls asleep.


Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
Lidamama84 is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM
 
junebug2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Smokering: I have an oversupply issue with Little T as well. She gets on at first and the milk shoots down, she gurgles and chokes, tries to stay on because she is a crazy eater than coughs, comes off and is out of breath like she's just had her head underwater. When I take her off at this point and manually express, the milk literally shoots out three feet.

 

For a while she was eating a lot at night, coming on and off the breast in side position on her own, which was fine for both of us except that I would sleep though her eating sometimes and not burp. A couple of mornings she would wake up kind of grunting like a truck driver or obese man and it would take a lot of work to get a burp out. I also think she got tons of milk up her nose, because she would wake up all congested and snarfy sounding.  I definitely think she had gas built up in there from not burping and swallowing air in the side position. Yesterday am she got beet red out of nowhere and let out a loud shriek like someone was stabbing her, sure it was gas. My crazy milk plus her eating super fast, poor baby!

 

She had also napping for a super long nap in the evening, which was awesome for dh and I but not good for her as she was waking up at night to eat and getting the gas problem. Yesterday night she was up, fussy and cluster-fed forever, but then she went down and only woke up twice to eat, just to tide her over. Her first feeding in the morning I am trying to feed her with both of us sitting upright, burping before, during and after. She seems less gassy and the congestion goes away after she feeds in this position.

 

I still feel so lucky to be blessed with a huge milk supply! It just needs its own operating instructions.

 

It makes sense that more babies get belly troubles at this point. They are able to suck back way more, thus bringing in way more milk but their little bellies can't catch up for a bit.


treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

junebug2011 is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Do you ladies nurse on both sides at night (or even during the day)? Do you burp the baby at night? I can sense the "colicky baby" symptoms are coming and I am trying to fend them off before it becomes a 24 hour screaming nightmare like with DDdizzy.gif

 

Finn's BM's are starting to worry me a little too. His normal amount of poop is about a teaspoon and on rare occasions he will have a "blow out" of about a tablespoon. Normally, he has a little poop in every diaper that usually accompanies gas ---> he is a very, very loud gassy baby haha    The Ped. told me this was fine...as long as he is pooping, the amount doesn't matter. I just seem to think that he should have a lot more in there and with the amount that he is eating.... I am scared of him being constipated. Am I being a nutcase for wanting more poop??

P.S. He has a wet diaper at least every 2 hours. I've never changed a dry diaper.

 

Jenni-- I am so sorry that your DS is acting up :( I can't imagine how frustrating it must be.... I will keep you and him in my prayershug2.gif

I also have come to the conclusion that I am DONE. This pregnancy REALLY took a toll on my body and I am struggling to keep it together with DD and DS....I do NOT understand how you do it with more! I never thought that I would only have 2... but for my sanity and for the sake of my poor DH, I think we are going to be a 1950's family of 4 haha. DH is talking about getting a vasectomy... we shall see!

 

I think I might try to go out by myself today... that is, with both babies. Pray for me...
 


Ezrah is a gassy baby too, and you can always tell when he poops because he has so much gas that comes out with it! I would think that as along as Finn is pooping regularly that you don't have to worry. It's hard to say how much Ezrah is pooping, because so much of it is liquidy and it tends to get absorbed, but I'd say his average poop is probably a tablespoon at the most.

 

MaryE, check into the Adiana. It's permanent, but it doesn't require surgery. They can do it in the office and there is a day of downtime afterwards.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidamama84 View Post
 My MW suggested family naps to me, actually, but I just can't stand being poked by DD until she falls asleep.

 

We did a family nap this afternoon. I got in bed with baby to settle him and DD (who will be 11 on Sunday) got in bed with us. We all ended up falling asleep. DS1 was in the room too, but laying on my little sofa because the bed was full.

 

The hospital where Ezrah was born has quiet time from 2-4 pm every afternoon. This means no visitors, the nurses are quiet in the halls, they turn the lights in the halls off, and more. The goal is to give new moms a time when they know they'll be left alone (no vitals, etc) to sleep, nurse, cuddle, etc. It was divine and I've sort of instituted the same practice in our house. I think we all need a little downtime each day.
 

 


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Buddhamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shambala Acres
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been super busy here so this is my first post on this side even though I crossed over June 11th.  I don't have time to read from the start so I just read back a few.  I have the wonderful hyperlactation issue too.  But I tell myself I am happier that I have too much than not enough.  In fact I soak baby face cloths with my let down and that isn't even when I am nursing.  I will just be sitting here and it all just starts flowing *LOL*  She is hooked up 24/7 so that probably doesn't help much, but hey, it's my job thumb.gif  My DH is getting a vasectomy as well, however this is his second because he had the first reversed 8 years ago, apparently it worked *LOL*  I think at 41 and with four girls, there is no reason to do this again.  And after having to give up our UC and the ambulance ride to the hospital due to unexpected hemorrhaging during transition and then the big blood loss during birth, I don't think I want to risk anything again.  I have been truly blessed and feel comfortable having it end.  Besides, my oldest are 21 and 19 so grandbabies aren't too far away biggrinbounce.gif


Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Buddhamom is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Add me to the oversupply club. My midwife recommended pumping a bit before feedings so baby girl gets the hind-milk, but I've yet to figure out the logistics of that. DD is hardly going to sit there and wait patiently while I pump for 5 minutes before she eats.

 

Baby girl has started smiling! I got a big one yesterday, and again today with the midwife as my witness. DH thinks I'm delusional, but they were very clearly the real thing and not just twitchy/gassy smiles. Ah well. He'll get one soon too.

 


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Add me to the oversupply club. My midwife recommended pumping a bit before feedings so baby girl gets the hind-milk, but I've yet to figure out the logistics of that. DD is hardly going to sit there and wait patiently while I pump for 5 minutes before she eats.

 

Baby girl has started smiling! I got a big one yesterday, and again today with the midwife as my witness. DH thinks I'm delusional, but they were very clearly the real thing and not just twitchy/gassy smiles. Ah well. He'll get one soon too.

 


If you're supposed to pump before nursing, you might have to schedule her feedings a bit more. Like pump every two hours and then just put her to the breast to nurse. Do you think that might work?

 

Yay for baby smiles! Ezrah has been smiling since birth. I refuse to believe that they're from gas because when he has gas he cries, grunts, and makes little frowny faces. He doesn't smile in relation to anything else as far as I can tell, he just smiles. It's so sweet. :)

 

 

 

Yesterday evening/last night he was fussy and nursing constantly and when I finally got him to sleep, he slept for 5 hours!!! It was around 11:45 when he finally fell asleep, and his baby dinosaur noises woke me up at 4:45. It freaked me out that he had slept for sooooo long, but I guess if he was hungry sooner he would have woken up, right? I have to say, that it was wonderful to have that long of a stretch of sleep all at once. None of my other kids ever slept that long in the first month, it took ages to get to the 4 or 5 hours of sleep mark. I wonder if my prayers for a good baby that will sleep at night so I can do well in school have been answered? Dare I hope? Or should I call my pediatrician and make sure there's nothing wrong with him?

 


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off