Postpartum Chat - June - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 225 Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks ladies.  I just had my 3 year old nurse and get most of the milk out.  It is feeling a bit better so hopefully that was it.  I think both sides are somewhat sore just because I have two kiddos on them constantly.  I started the baby on a paci (not that she really likes it) so that I could get moments of breaks for nursing.   She wants to nurse all.the.time. and so does my three year old.  Ugh. 

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 225 Old 07-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Andrea - I third massaging, and let your baby drink & comfort suck off that side as much as possible. I had a clogged duct a few days ago and cleared it that way. Keep an eye on it - if it's red on the outside or you're getting feverish, it could be mastitis.

My little girl has the worst case of baby acne at the moment. People look at her and go "Aww she's...uhh...precious!!". lol.gif DD1 had it too and it passed quickly, so hopefully it won't last long for this one either.

I went out today and had baby out of the pram a bit. I got lots of oohs and aahs from strangers. I guess you don't see 2.5 week-olds out in public much.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#213 of 225 Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post

Jenni, be aware that even if he is NOT on the birth certificate in most states he could still petition to have paternity established if he can show a relationship (or even a one night stand) within a time period that could establish him as the father of the baby. And then get visitation, but if he's not inclined to be involved, it wouldn't be very likely. And, agreed that if you can live without it, sounds like you're better off not having him on there!

I need a haircut too....and a pedi. My feet are so dry from wearing flip flops!

In Texas he can go through the steps to establish paternity. I don't think it's very likely, considering that he told me several times that he'd figured out a way to relinquish his parental rights. And then there's the whole flat-out refusing to sign the birth certificate thing...

I need a haircut and a pedi too. My feet are in sad shape right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

Thanks ladies.  I just had my 3 year old nurse and get most of the milk out.  It is feeling a bit better so hopefully that was it.  I think both sides are somewhat sore just because I have two kiddos on them constantly.  I started the baby on a paci (not that she really likes it) so that I could get moments of breaks for nursing.   She wants to nurse all.the.time. and so does my three year old.  Ugh. 

I introduced a pacifier about 2 weeks ago to get a break from nursing when he wasn't hungry, just wanted to suck. He's soooooo not a fan! He'll take it for a little while and then spit it out. Thankfully it's long enough to get him to sleep, which tends to be the only time he needs it - when he's tired and has eaten but not fallen all the way asleep. The paci helps get him over that hump to being fully out. It has saved my nipples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post
My little girl has the worst case of baby acne at the moment. People look at her and go "Aww she's...uhh...precious!!". lol.gif DD1 had it too and it passed quickly, so hopefully it won't last long for this one either.

I went out today and had baby out of the pram a bit. I got lots of oohs and aahs from strangers. I guess you don't see 2.5 week-olds out in public much.

Ezrah has rotating baby acne. It's only appearing in one place at a time. Right now it's on his chin. I'm hoping it goes away soon because it's so hard for me to leave it alone and not pick at it.

I get comments every time we go anywhere. I don't think that people bring new babies out much. Which I don't get. How do you get anything done, and doesn't it get really boring to be at home all day long?

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#214 of 225 Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 PM

I get the same sort of comments. I dunno, but now that I think about it, I don't think I tend to see very many really new babies. And of course on TV a brand-new newborn is never played by a baby of that age either, so people aren't used to seeing them.

Did some shopping today and test-drove the Mei Tai. It doesn't kill my back, which is a plus. But it means I can't stare at her cute face all the time. Tradeoffs.

I feel like a bad mama for getting bored during 20-30 minute nursing sessions (particularly several of them in a row). I started watching a little TV. Is that bad? It's not like she's actually seeing any of it... her head is pointed the other direction. I suppose I could read? Or read to her? Not like it matters what I read to her, she won't understand it anyway. I don't know.

#215 of 225 Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
I feel like a bad mama for getting bored during 20-30 minute nursing sessions (particularly several of them in a row). I started watching a little TV. Is that bad? It's not like she's actually seeing any of it... her head is pointed the other direction. I suppose I could read? Or read to her? Not like it matters what I read to her, she won't understand it anyway. I don't know.

LOL! I had to glance at your siggy after I read that... yup, you're a first-time mum. :p Dude, I do nearly all my daytime nursing while surfing the internet. If you want to be classier and actually read books, more power to ya! You don't have to be looking at her the whole time. She won't notice. Miles is pretty darned cute and I like looking at his squishy cheeks and all, but I'd get pretty bored doing that all day too! TOTALLY OK to multitask. Don't waste a shred of guilt on that! And yeah, I don't see how you watching TV is going to have a detrimental effect on her. I've read bad stuff about babies watching the flickering images, but nothing that indicates the sound is bad for their brains, so I'd vote for "have at it".

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I like little babies. I can be a good mother while being a bad mother. Their needs are so basic! I can read internet comics while feeding Miles and as far as he's concerned, I'm the bestest mummy in the world. Not like my pesky three-year-old who demands, like, eye contact and interaction and prepared meals and stuff.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#216 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

LOL! I had to glance at your siggy after I read that... yup, you're a first-time mum. :p Dude, I do nearly all my daytime nursing while surfing the internet. If you want to be classier and actually read books, more power to ya! You don't have to be looking at her the whole time. She won't notice. Miles is pretty darned cute and I like looking at his squishy cheeks and all, but I'd get pretty bored doing that all day too! TOTALLY OK to multitask. Don't waste a shred of guilt on that! And yeah, I don't see how you watching TV is going to have a detrimental effect on her. I've read bad stuff about babies watching the flickering images, but nothing that indicates the sound is bad for their brains, so I'd vote for "have at it".

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I like little babies. I can be a good mother while being a bad mother. Their needs are so basic! I can read internet comics while feeding Miles and as far as he's concerned, I'm the bestest mummy in the world. Not like my pesky three-year-old who demands, like, eye contact and interaction and prepared meals and stuff.

This! If I'm home & breastfeeding then I'm either on my laptop or watching DVDs. Sometimes I read a book or attempt to sew a little, but mostly I'm just playing around on MDC or whatever. You're stuck in a chair anyway - it's not like you'd be out doing triathlons whilst breastfeeding if you weren't watching TV. ;)

So no guilt! Just enjoy it while it lasts. :)

#217 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Heh, I sort of suspected that. The literature I brought home from the hospital says stuff like, talk to her and sing to her, etc. while nursing, changing her diaper, and so forth. I do this some, but she really doesn't seem to care either way. Half the time when she is nursing she seems at least half-asleep. The home health nurse said that getting into the habit of reading to her now can't hurt, but it doesn't matter what we read at this point since it's just the sound of our voices that she's reacting to. So yesterday I was reviewing for the board exam and read to her a little bit about asthma... more for my sake than hers really. If it's the TV screen and not the recorded sound that causes problems for babies, guess I'll continue marathoning Cheers reruns with a clear conscience.

#218 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM

I read all kinds of books (silently) while I'm nursing. I also watch copious amounts of tv shows and movies on Netflix. I talk to him too, but he's barely making eye contact with me so I don't feel bad for not devoting 100% of my attention to him during every second of nursing. Besides, he's attached to me, or on me, or near me for 95% of his day. Nursing is not the only time he has me as a captive audience.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#219 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 09:50 AM

I just used my Ameda pump for the first time and it works great! I was super engorged on my right side, which baby took care of with his nursing session. And then I pumped both sides because he was so full off the one side that the other side didn't get emptied and I could tell that it was on its way to being engorged as well. I got a whole 3 ounces! Half an ounce off the right side and 2 1/2 off the left. I think I'll keep pumping after I nurse him so I can start building up my frozen milk supply for when I go back to school in the fall. I'd like to have at least 60 ounces saved up.

Jenni

#220 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Eugh. Yesterday I cleaned out our wardrobe, and came across a cool asymmetrical skirt I bought from an op shop while heavily pregnant, hoping it'd fit after I had the baby. I tried it on a few weeks ago and it was way too small, but today it fit (well, more or less)... so I decided not to look like a slob, for once. So I dressed up in the skirt and tights and a nice cream blouse and did my hair all fancy-like... and felt positively glamorous, for about five minutes. Then my breasts abruptly let down for no good reason, soaking my blouse and dripping milk all over my skirt. eat.gif

Miles was sleeping on DH's lap, but obligingly latched on for me... but it's too late to save my outfit. And I have to go to the supermarket shortly. Clearly I need to start actually wearing my breastpads...

Speaking of milk, Mum gave me her old manual breastpump and a few bottles the other day. I felt vaguely guilty taking them home - DD never had a bottle. I don't plan to use 'em very often, but I am very tempted to leave Miles with DH so I can go see the new Harry Potter film...I wouldn't even have considered it with DD, but Miles is so much more chilled out (and sleepyu!) that I think it might actually work. I'll have to try him out with the bottle to see if he'll take it, though...

Also, I just signed up to donate milk for a mother in NZ. She had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer, and has been going public to request donor milk for her baby - NZ has no milk banks, which is ridiculous for a country that's generally pretty progressive about birth and babies. Every midwife I've talked to about it has bemoaned the lack of milk banks, but it doesn't seem like the government is keen to get them going. But I've always vaguely wanted to donate, especially because I hate needles and don't give blood. bag.gif So, we'll see if they get back to me! I seem to have a more ample supply this time than last.

#221 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Smokering, I have the same shirt drenching problem! Pumping and bottles will be a necessity for me because I'll be in school. But even if I weren't, I think I'd still pump so that I could have some times away from the baby here and there. After a while it starts to feel rather stifling to not be able to EVER be away from the baby. Or to time outings without baby between feedings.

Have you seen the Human Milk 4 Human Babies Facebook pages? It used to be called Eats on Feets, but they changed their name a few months ago. There is a global page, and then tons of pages for different countries and US states. There is a vast network of milky mamas that are sharing milk and wet nursing babies all over the place. It's so cool!

I'll be donating some of my milk, assuming that I'll have extra that I don't need, to mamas in my area that need it. I pumped exclusively for my birthdaughter for 4 months and she had breastmilk for 6 months. I was getting 50 ounces a day at one point. Of course, I don't expect to have that much milk stored up this time around because I'm nursing a baby and pumping at the same time. But I've never had issues with undersupply so I'm hopeful that I can feed my baby and help feed another one as well.

Jenni

#222 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM

I've heard of it. I thought Eats on Feets was a better name. :p I'm not on Facebook, though... I did tell my midwife that I was willing to donate, though; a lot of midwives coordinate milk donation between mothers, sort of under the table, if they happen to have a client who can't breastfeed.

I like to think I'm preparing our flatmate well for fatherhood. :p He's single and has no kids, and has led a sheltered life thus far... but since he's moved in with us he's been treated to a front-row view of me fainting, vomiting, wandering around the house in early labour... DH cutting up the placenta and steaming it... my cloth pads drying on the clothes horse... plenty of breastfeeding... and now me with attractive wet patches on my shirt. Not to mention the crying, vomiting and pooping of the baby itself. If he ever should happen to take a wife, nothing will faze him. In the mean time, he spends a lot of time hiding in his room... but then, he's a computer geek, so that's not exactly out of the norm. Oh well, he chose to move in! At least I'm a good cook...

ETA: Also, we're well into July now. Shouldn't we have a new chat thread?

#223 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Sorry I have been out of the loop! Finn has turned into a fussy baby and is either nursing or needing to be soothed 24 hours a day!

By the way... I am totally with all of you on the watching TV.. being on the internet while nursing. What else are you suppose to do? haha

I am already tired of the newborn stage... let's get to 3-4 months already!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#224 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Oh no, 3-4 months was scary with DD1! I'm all for fast-forwarding to 5 months though.

I'm having a lot of leakiness too. Even with lying on a towel, I've pretty much destroyed our mattress. eyesroll.gif

You guys are going to laugh, but baby Rosa is back to being baby Nameless. I spent 3 days putting off announcing the name, before realising that my reluctance to share it with anyone probably wasn't a good sign. Back to the drawing board...

#225 of 225 Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
ETA: Also, we're well into July now. Shouldn't we have a new chat thread?

Good point! I started a new chat thread. :)

Jenni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page