Mothering Forum banner

June Chat Thread -- Week 2

6K views 182 replies 28 participants last post by  erigeron 
#1 ·
Link to last week's thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1315629/june-is-here-bring-on-the-babies-week-1-chat-thread

Here we go, mamas! Bring on the June Babes...

I'm 40w1d today and have been in what I will call "early labor" for the last two days.
bigeyes.gif
It has been amazing, bizarre, and unlike any of my other pregnancies. I am having contractions about 10 minutes apart during the day, and even closer together during the night (~5 mins). Complete with back ache and moderate pain. It is light enough that I can pretty much sleep between and even through some of them (not all). I'm just trying to keep sane, rest and relax, and know that my body is working on making things just the way they're supposed to be.

Blessings and ELVs to all those in labor or about to be...

Chat away, ladies
energy.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm 38 weeks, suspected breech (grrr) and have been contracting for the past couple days, roughly 10 minutes apart. I'm assuming it's my body trying to flip the baby. Nothing really productive otherwise is happening. They don't get closer together or more intense or anything. I've also had diareah for like 3 days, which is really super unpleasant. No loss of plug or anything, so I'm sure labour is still awhile away.

I hate not knowing what's going on. I have my ultrasound tomorrow to confirm position, and we'll go from there on birth plan alterations. I've been doing all the moves I know to encourage her to flip/stay head down, in the meantime. Hopefully tomorrow's ultrasound (weird, the tech just called to confirm appt. mid-post!) will show a head-down baby. I'm having doubts, though. At work today (went in for a luncheon, left after 11 stupid comments like "Omg why isn't that baby out yet???) I could feel a distinct round body part near the top of my belly. Partner poked around and also thought it was a head. Blah. Not good.

Tonight's plans consist of laying as upside down as I can on an ironing board, hot pad/cold pad combo on the belly, and ipod and flashlight down the pants to encourage baby to scoot down there and check things out. I have no idea if any of this stuff actually works, but it's worth a shot!

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

Link to last week's thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1315629/june-is-here-bring-on-the-babies-week-1-chat-thread

Here we go, mamas! Bring on the June Babes...

I'm 40w1d today and have been in what I will call "early labor" for the last two days.
bigeyes.gif
It has been amazing, bizarre, and unlike any of my other pregnancies. I am having contractions about 10 minutes apart during the day, and even closer together during the night (~5 mins). Complete with back ache and moderate pain. It is light enough that I can pretty much sleep between and even through some of them (not all). I'm just trying to keep sane, rest and relax, and know that my body is working on making things just the way they're supposed to be.

Blessings and ELVs to all those in labor or about to be...

Chat away, ladies
energy.gif
Oh yay. It definitely sounds like your body is getting ready! Hopefully you won't be left to wonder for too long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

I'm 38 weeks, suspected breech (grrr) and have been contracting for the past couple days, roughly 10 minutes apart. I'm assuming it's my body trying to flip the baby. Nothing really productive otherwise is happening. They don't get closer together or more intense or anything. I've also had diareah for like 3 days, which is really super unpleasant. No loss of plug or anything, so I'm sure labour is still awhile away.

I hate not knowing what's going on. I have my ultrasound tomorrow to confirm position, and we'll go from there on birth plan alterations. I've been doing all the moves I know to encourage her to flip/stay head down, in the meantime. Hopefully tomorrow's ultrasound (weird, the tech just called to confirm appt. mid-post!) will show a head-down baby. I'm having doubts, though. At work today (went in for a luncheon, left after 11 stupid comments like "Omg why isn't that baby out yet???) I could feel a distinct round body part near the top of my belly. Partner poked around and also thought it was a head. Blah. Not good.

Tonight's plans consist of laying as upside down as I can on an ironing board, hot pad/cold pad combo on the belly, and ipod and flashlight down the pants to encourage baby to scoot down there and check things out. I have no idea if any of this stuff actually works, but it's worth a shot!
Nikki - if I were you I'd also be doing every trick known to man. I really hope this works for you. I hope you get great news at your u/s tomorrow.

AFM - I'm getting more and more uncomfortable, but no definite contracting or anything. I'm kind of thankful for that considering we're STILL trying to get things done around here. Things are closer to being done, but not done enough. I would seriously be embarrassed if the midwife, her assistant, and everyone else had to show up at my house right now. Our family room is a mess as it's full of junk that is going to go in our DS's bedroom once it's finally done. It should be done and put together tomorrow according to DH's timeline for completion of stuff. Gah - it was supposed to be done in April - but we've both been insanely busy!

But anyways, as I was saying I'm very uncomfortable. Getting in and out of bed is really hard and just sitting/standing and stuff like that can be hard. I feel like I'm a funny site waddling around here. I often wonder what the neighbors think when they see this pregnant chic with a zillion kids in the backyard trying to keep up with all of them five days a week! They probably think I'm a nut.

So for those having a home birth, are you telling your neighbors so that they don't freak out over ummm...noises...and call the police or something? I haven't bothered to say anything to our neighbors, but we don't know them that well and pretty much never talk to them so I feel weird just saying, "Oh, by the way. We're having a home birth so if you hear strange noises end of June/ early July just ignore them." But I do worry about people wondering what the heck is going on!

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post

So for those having a home birth, are you telling your neighbors so that they don't freak out over ummm...noises...and call the police or something? I haven't bothered to say anything to our neighbors, but we don't know them that well and pretty much never talk to them so I feel weird just saying, "Oh, by the way. We're having a home birth so if you hear strange noises end of June/ early July just ignore them." But I do worry about people wondering what the heck is going on!
We're not telling our neighbours, not because we don't want to be courteous but because we're renting! Even though it's not illegal or grounds for eviction to birth in a rental suite, people get so freaked out around birth, and our midwife told us this horror story about a couple who were friends with their landlords but ended up having to move in the last weeks of pregnancy because there was so much animosity over their plan to homebirth. Her suggestion was don't tell! Better to ask forgiveness, I guess!! I told my midwife I worried about what would happen if I was making a lot of noise, and she said "for all they know you could just be in the beginning stages". This is true, and made me feel a little better. I still wonder if I'm going to be self conscious about making noise when the time comes though???

I've actually developed a relationship with the landlord's daughter, who also lives in the house (it's a big old house split into suites; we're on the main floor) and she asked the dreaded question last weekend (what's your plan [for the birth])? She asked if we were going to a certain hospital nearby. I think I handled it very well - I said "we're going to try to stay here as long as possible" (TRUE) "and if we go anywhere we'll go to X Hospital" (also true...though I'm not anywhere near expecting we'll end up there, only in case of emergency). So technically, I didn't lie! Now let's just hope she doesn't see my midwife carting the birthing pool up our back steps!!!

FWIW I've heard lots of stories about women making lots of noise birthing, sure they had woken up the whole neighbourhood and no one ended up hearing a thing!

#5 ·
Swimming Duck - when are you going to stop having the daycare kids come? My hat is off to you - I have a hard enough time keeping up with my 2 little ones, I CANNOT imagine having to lead a whole group! Yikes! I think you are due to start "maternity leave" ASAP!

BHappy, I was just wondering about you! Sounds like the babe is poised to make an appearance very soon! Sending you lots of happy labor vibes!!
goodvibes.gif

Nikki, you get some vertex vibes
goodvibes.gif
Please let us know how the ultrasound goes!

Well, it is near 100 degrees and humid here today and will be again tomorrow. Not ideal weather for a full-term pregnant lady, that's for sure
eyesroll.gif
I did get a TON of laundry done today since it dried so quickly on the line and the kids played in the little pool - which has become their absolute favorite thing ever! I might take them to the beach tomorrow because it is usually a little windy and a tad cooler there and I know they will demand to be outside. It was a long, long, long winter and they sure are making up for being cooped up for the last 8 months! The only bad thing is that my maternity swimsuit just does NOT fit me at all anymore - it is super, super tight and uncomfortably pulls on my belly and pinches my legs where the elastic is. I guess it's swimming in a tank top and shorts for me for the next few weeks! I looked for a new one at Target yesterday, but for a top and bottom it would be just about $50 and I can't justify that expense seeing as how I could have this baby any day now.

Does everyone feel ready for the new addition to the family? I did, but am starting to have a bit of anxiety lately. My SILs (4 of them) got together and literally made a sign-up schedule for helping me out for the entire month of July - what a blessing it is that I have such wonderful women in my life! So that has helped ease my mind a bit. Now I am starting to worry a little about how DD, 21 months, will react to a new baby. She has been super clingy and needy lately so I am wondering if she senses that something is up. I mean, she "knows" about the baby in my belly, but I don't think she completely gets the concept - a real, live, little person is about to invade!!!! Hopefully she will love him as much as her big brother loved on her when she was born!

ETA: I did tell my immediate neighbors that we are having the baby at home. We are friendly with both and DH and I felt comfortable sharing with them.

#6 ·
Quote:
The one thing that does bug me is when people treat the due date as something set in stone. My mother is the worst like that. I was telling her a few days ago that I was having tons of painful contractions, and she was like "Yes but your due date isn't for three days...", as if it were unfathomable that the baby might come on any other day.
headscratch.gif
I confess that she just tried calling me, but I purposely didn't answer it because I knew she was calling specifically to badger me about it being my due date.

Do people really not know about the "anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks (or more) is normal" rule?
The one I love is the use of "prem" to refer to any baby born before 40 weeks exactly. As in, "She was three days prem", not meaning 36+4 or 37+4, but 39+4. Dude, that's not prem, that's full term. Nor is a birth at 40+3 "three days overdue" - 42+3, sure.

My EDD's tomorrow, but I've gotten over my antsiness (temporarily again, no doubt!). I've been making plans, thusly:

Today (Wednesday): Dancing class for DD; blood test for me (fun!); lamb shanks for dinner, which I haven't made before, so that'll be kinda exciting; lots of houseworky things to do

Tomorrow (Thursday, my EDD): Bible study in the morning; then Mum's taking DD in the evening and DH and I will go watch Super 8

Friday: Going to watch X-Men: First Class with a friend during the day

Saturday: Having an ice cream party with friends! I'll make a few batches of homemade ice cream, and everyone can bring toppings. I'm actually looking forward to this a lot, so I'll probably go into labour before then. :p

Sunday: Er, yum cha again, probably?

Monday: My sister's chamber music competitions. She says she doesn't mind if I go noisily into labour during her performance, as it'll distract from any mistakes. :p

That's as far as I've planned, although I have a vague playdate arranged for next week as well. Still, that's a good what, six days of not worrying about going into labour? And I have a mammoth to-do list to complete during this time as well - I actually did some sewing yesterday, so yay. And got to the bottom of the laundry basket. And made a pumpkin pie. And cleaned the kitchen, which is now filthy again. And bought veggies and things. Might make a leek and pumpkin soup today to freeze - I made a huge batch of pumpkin and tomato the other day for that purpose, but it was so good we ate it all!

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Swimming Duck - when are you going to stop having the daycare kids come? My hat is off to you - I have a hard enough time keeping up with my 2 little ones, I CANNOT imagine having to lead a whole group! Yikes! I think you are due to start "maternity leave" ASAP!

BHappy, I was just wondering about you! Sounds like the babe is poised to make an appearance very soon! Sending you lots of happy labor vibes!!
goodvibes.gif

Nikki, you get some vertex vibes
goodvibes.gif
Please let us know how the ultrasound goes!

Well, it is near 100 degrees and humid here today and will be again tomorrow. Not ideal weather for a full-term pregnant lady, that's for sure
eyesroll.gif
I did get a TON of laundry done today since it dried so quickly on the line and the kids played in the little pool - which has become their absolute favorite thing ever! I might take them to the beach tomorrow because it is usually a little windy and a tad cooler there and I know they will demand to be outside. It was a long, long, long winter and they sure are making up for being cooped up for the last 8 months! The only bad thing is that my maternity swimsuit just does NOT fit me at all anymore - it is super, super tight and uncomfortably pulls on my belly and pinches my legs where the elastic is. I guess it's swimming in a tank top and shorts for me for the next few weeks! I looked for a new one at Target yesterday, but for a top and bottom it would be just about $50 and I can't justify that expense seeing as how I could have this baby any day now.

Does everyone feel ready for the new addition to the family? I did, but am starting to have a bit of anxiety lately. My SILs (4 of them) got together and literally made a sign-up schedule for helping me out for the entire month of July - what a blessing it is that I have such wonderful women in my life! So that has helped ease my mind a bit. Now I am starting to worry a little about how DD, 21 months, will react to a new baby. She has been super clingy and needy lately so I am wondering if she senses that something is up. I mean, she "knows" about the baby in my belly, but I don't think she completely gets the concept - a real, live, little person is about to invade!!!! Hopefully she will love him as much as her big brother loved on her when she was born!

ETA: I did tell my immediate neighbors that we are having the baby at home. We are friendly with both and DH and I felt comfortable sharing with them.
I have a 20 month old and he has been CRANKY! I feel like he can sense something big is about to change. I talk to him about the baby all the time, and I feel like he understands quite a bit. I have also started to put him to bed with this little 'baby-doll' and he has been so cute with it, cuddling and holding it. But it's funny, this will be my 4th baby and I don't remember there being a hard transition for my oldest from one to two (18 months apart). Maybe it is because I am a little more stressed about how he will react, he is probably feeding off of my emotions. Oh well, in a few months everyone will be all settled in and lovin' on eachother!

#8 ·
Yep, the comments! It was fun on Sunday to answer "When are you due?" with "Tomorrow" and watch people take a big step back as if I was going to explode. Now, I am not so sure I want to go back to church until this baby comes! I'm thinking tomorrow morning is a good time for baby to come.
smile.gif
And as for other mamas who KNOW BETTER making comments, I get the feeling that SOME women get some sort of perverse pleasure out of tormenting you the way they have just been tormented! Or maybe they just don't think. I know for myself, I have to watch that I don't make the dumb comments. But really, "Isn't that baby here yet?" and "You sure you aren't carrying twins?" should be BANNED from any experienced mother's vocabulary!

So I'm officially overdue. I confessed to DH that I think I'll be pregnant forever. He said, "Yep." And I asked, "Uh, does that mean you think so too?" He laughed and admitted that since the due date came and went, he sort of feels like, "Well, the baby didn't come. Guess we are going to scratch that plan and get on with life."
orngtongue.gif
Yep, I've never been this pregnant before. I am so thankful for the little contractions and such that help me feel like my body is not abandoning me and doing SOMETHING. My mother asked if my midwife was having me take black and blue cohosh, but my midwife is not wanting to try induction techniques until I'm at 41 weeks some days. I KNOW I have two more weeks until I get "risked out" of a home birth, and I could go into labor at ANY time, but it is hard not to think about it. Oh well. The crunchy back up doctor is on vacation until Saturday, so maybe that's what my body is waiting on! Or, in a better scenario, maybe I just really want to have another baby on the 8th. My mother, brother, daughter, BIL, and (sort of--18th) father all have birthdays on the 8th. My husband and I have birthdays adding to eight (5 and 3) and my little brothers do too (1 and 7). I just can't imagine this baby being THAT cooperative. I anticipate the 9th, just to be original. We'll see.

We discovered this weekend, that we have been making no plans in anticipation of a baby any time. Now, we've decided that that is not a good way to wait for a baby, so we have made some plans and might make a few more, just to have things to distract us, look forward to, and be interrupted by baby. Tonight, I am swimming and then we go to MILs house to borrow a car. Wednesday, I have a midwife appointment and might meet DH in town for Thai food with our Groupon (yum!). Wednesday night is church.
bag.gif
Not sure about Thursday, but Friday we get our first CSA share (yay!), and Saturday I made DH promise to take me to the movies if there is no baby here yet. So, we'll try to keep filling in that schedule until we have something interesting to do every night.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

Yep, the comments! It was fun on Sunday to answer "When are you due?" with "Tomorrow" and watch people take a big step back as if I was going to explode. N
Hah! It's even better to get to answer "two days ago".

While working.

At the hospital.

And then have to explain that, no, if I do start to explode, and I actually be LEAVING the building and going home~
Sheepish.gif

#10 ·
Well... it seems that I have missed A LOT! People having babies... people about to have babies! yay!!

I would try and comment on each one, but I am in the middle of a nesting tornado and I can only take a break long enough to let the ctx settle. <---- you know what I'm talking about!

We had DD's party this past Sunday and it went great! Family all came, I didn't go into labor... the food was amazing. Basically, a hit! Now we are back home and I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off because..... tomorrow is my CS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is SO weird to know what is happening. Almost too weird....

I have almost all the laundry done and the house is clean. DD's bathed and in bed, waiting on Grandma to get here to start babysitting her. We have to be at the hospital at 7:30am tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be up at 5 trying to get ready. <-- IF, I can sleep.

I will be praying for you mamas to have some great times while I'm gone and out of commission. Hoping all these babes flip vertex, all the discomfort will ease, and lots more babies will be born :) Can't wait to post my story and pics!

Don't have too much fun without me ;)

#12 ·
Well today I officially joined the overdue club as well. I had been having contractions 5 min. apart for 3 days straight. Sat was so bad we thought for sure she would be here by dinner. Nope, they eased up but stayed there. Sigh! I have a MW appt. tomorrow so I hope she says they have been dilating me more than I was last time. I am glad there are only a few of us so far that are over. Good luck to everyone who is left and enjoy to those that have crossed over.

#13 ·
Looks like im in for another night of prodromal labor. Contractions go from 3 mins apart to 7 to 5 to 10 and range from 1 1/2 mins apart to 30 seconds and range in strength from mild to severe. However, I am not dilating or effacing at all. Midwife thinks baby may be in bad position and can't get on the cervix good. She said maybe a nuchal hand, cord keeping her up or just head not flexed. I will try some knee chest and pelvic tilts for positioning. She thinks if baby can just get on the cervix, it will kick in and go super fast since I am already 3-4 cm and 50%.

Soon as I get comfy if these things fade out like I suspect they will, I am gonna catch up on this chat thread.

#15 ·
Good luck on your CS today MaryElizabeth. Soon you will be holding your sweet baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This little one is way down and on top of my cervix so much that for the last two weeks when they have checked me they can freaking feel her head even at just 1 cm...sigh! I feel so much pressure with every contraction it drives me crazy. I have been drinking RRL tea, lots of sex, and nipple stimulation but nothing stays longer than a day. I think Blue Cohosh may be in the future and I certainly will not entertain the idea of castor oil. My MW did say she would let me go much longer than the usual patients due to my desires of natural and experience. What she doesn't know is we are planning a UC.

#16 ·
Another 3 hours of contractions last night that petered out, and boy am I glad. At 3AM we were awakened by a scream and crying from the girls' room. I didn't know I could still get out of bed that fast -- guess it's all in your motivation, huh? The 4 y/o had thrown up everywhere and has alternated napping and vomiting since then. I have my 41 week mw appointment and bpp at 8:15AM. My mom & dad are going to keep the sick dd, the non-vomity one will go to daycare as usual, and hopefully dh will be coming with me to this appointment. He hasn't been able to be at a single one of the dozen u/s's I've had with this pregnancy. :( But he doesn't handle "sick" very well and I think he might be too traumatized to get up and get ready in time. *sigh*

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Ummm...NEVER...at least it feels that way right now. I'm going to stop having daycare kiddos when I go into labor. I definitely feel that I'm due to start maternity leave like two weeks ago, but considering we still don't even now how we're going to manage financially with my business closed for six weeks, I can't take any longer. And I want a full six weeks with our new little one so I don't want to start maternity leave just to sit around and wait for baby to get here. Not that there would be much sitting around as there's still a ton to get done around here. The nice thing is with the warm weather I just try to get the kiddos out as early as possible, turn the sprinkler on, and plop my preggo self in the shade. It's a win win for everyone! Then we stay out as close to lunchtime as possible. I have to fix lunch, diaper, feed, and then it's naptime and the majority of them leave pretty much right after nap and/or afternoon snack depending on when they wake. The three that stay a bit later (until 5:00) are my easier personalities of the bunch. So we either head back outside or if it's gotten too hot they just free play for that hour or so until pick-up. So I've been taking it easy on myself and letting go of activities/projects with the kiddos for now! The thing that's frustrating isn't the daycare job itself - just the fact that it leaves me no time to accomplish stuff around the house and by the time they leave my energy is way down to accomplish tasks, so it's just hard to get stuff done.

I guess I feel ready for our baby so to speak. Just not ready for the birth. The house is still in transition and since we're having it here there's of course a lot of pressure to get stuff done, cleaned up, and organized. I've been so focused on all of this stuff that needs to get done and on preparing for the actual home birth that it hit me the other day that there's going to be a new baby to care for after all of this is said and done. I know - obvious, right? But I just haven't been focusing on that part as I've been so busy running around with daycare and trying to get this house done. So that part I think I'm still processing! As far as your LO, I'm sure she'll adjust. I've been talking to my LO about the fact that there's going to be a baby around a lot. Luckily he's used to babies with my doing daycare. And he really wants to have one around too which helps. But I'm certainly expecting him to have mixed feelings once our little bundle of joy arrives! There are days where he seems more emotional and he went through a phase where he was wetting constantly throughout the day (even though he's been potty-trained since November or so of last year). So I know his little brain is trying to process all of this the best he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

And then have to explain that, no, if I do start to explode, and I actually be LEAVING the building and going home~
Sheepish.gif
Hahaha. I'm sure that goes over well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

We had DD's party this past Sunday and it went great! Family all came, I didn't go into labor... the food was amazing. Basically, a hit! Now we are back home and I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off because..... tomorrow is my CS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is SO weird to know what is happening. Almost too weird....

I have almost all the laundry done and the house is clean. DD's bathed and in bed, waiting on Grandma to get here to start babysitting her. We have to be at the hospital at 7:30am tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be up at 5 trying to get ready. <-- IF, I can sleep.
Well, I guess you won't see this until later. But I can't wait to see your pics and hear about your LO. Good luck today!

AFM - DH and I were up late last night and DS's superhero bedroom is almost done. Pretty much everything is riding on that room as we can't begin to tackle other rooms until our DS has a place for his stuff that is scattered in various areas of the house! But we're getting there. I mean seriously, it's going to be done all the way today. I'm super excited. It's looking really promising. We have this huge spiderman decal on the wall. He's got crates stacked up for storage. We got him this table and chairs set that is just the right colors for the room and perfectly adorable. The curtains are up.DH just has to clear some junk out of the closet that doesn't go in there. I bought plastic drawers for the closet and will be moving DS's clothes to those (baby is going to get the dresser that DS's stuff is currently in since it matches the crib). I did get the cosleeper put up in our bedroom the other day - it's not attached to the bed yet. I need to do that part.

My mom is supposed to be helping me finish the birth supply basket today. I hope she doesn't forget. I love her, but she can be so flaky sometimes. She took part of the list and said she was going to pick up stuff for me. If she's forgotten I'll run out and get it myself because the woman can procrastinate like no other and I don't want to go into labor missing supplies. As it is I feel completely incompetent for being past 37 weeks and not having this done.

I really feel like I'm sounding like a broken record every time I post - sorry about that. All I can wrap my head around right now is getting this house finished. I will say that planning a home birth is a double - edged sword kind of. On one hand it's a pain that I need to have the house all put together. On the other hand it will be a blessing that it's done (hopefully) when our LO arrives. When my DS was born we had moved when I was 7 months pregnant and our house was a disaster. We had a hospital birth so we didn't have to get it all squared away prior to his birth and because of that our house stayed a disaster for awhile because we were all just exhausted and busy for awhile after his arrival. So I am kind of excited that all of these things are getting done around our house in preparation for baby's arrival - I just wish we weren't worrying about all of this so late in the game.

For those that have used a liner with a birth pool, did the feel of the liner bother you? I know that's an odd question. When we did our test runs setting up the birth pool we obviously didn't put the liner in. I loved the feel of the pool. It was just soft and cushy feeling. I'm nervous that I'm going to hate the feel of the liner. Anyone have any insight on that?

#18 ·
Hard contractions yesterday from about 4:30pm until after 9pm. Then nothing. WTF IS WRONG WITH MY BODY??? I kept telling myself that maybe my body's just trying to flip the baby into a good position. It hurt so bad, though. About an 8 on the pain scale, so not as bad as it's GOING to get, but up there for sure. They stayed between 5-7 minutes apart for a few hours of it, and I was almost sure this was it. But nope... I went up to bed and they all but stopped. I got woken up by a few big ones, but certainly nothing regular. It's just not fair. I feel like I'm going to be pregnant forever. If nothing was happening, it wouldn't be so bad. I could last a few more weeks without whining. But all these teasing contractions are just terrible and keep me second-guessing my ability to tell when "this is it." Heck, it's my third child! You'd think I'd know!!

To make things even more fun, we woke up this morning to a lovely ant infestation. We've never had bugs of any kind in the house despite country living. But now we have ants! I blame the dog. We didn't have him last summer, but they're definitely attracted to his food bowl. So I've removed that and won't be able to free-feed him (he's a grazer). He'll have to learn to eat on a schedule, sigh. I've ziplocked every bit of food before they get into the cupboards. They haven't reached the kitchen yet. I've spread salt down for now to deter them from coming into the house, but I'm still seeing a few making their way across my salt barrier. The kids informed me that we have a major nest under our back deck, and as they're coming in the back patio door it makes sense that the issue is there. I'm tempted to go buy a big bottle of something terrible to murder the entire nest, because I REALLY don't want to spend my days killing ants once the baby is here. I just won't have time to deal with it, sigh. Having a pet and kids complicates things and really limits what I'm able to use, though. The dog can't get under the deck...do you think it's safe to try and get them to bring Borax back to their nest? Any tips?

Ants are making me get the heebie jeebies.

#19 ·
Eww, ants. Hope you find a way to knock em out.

Happy birthing day, MaryE! Wishing for all you prodromal mamas to have some babies soon. That sounds so frustrating. Nothing like contractions for me yet, I'm wondering how this one is going to go. My mom asked me yesterday when I was planning to call her (she's going to hang out with DS during the birth), and I told her I'd call her when I call the midwife. She asked me when I planned to call the midwife, and I told her I really wasn't sure. I mean, reading all this stuff about people in labor for days and weeks kinda makes me wonder if I'll know when it's happening? Last time it was so clear - bloody show, a day of warmup, intensifying at bedtime so I couldn't sleep, then when I couldn't talk through contractions we called everybody, and babe arrived in the morning. I know second babies usually come faster... but what if I do all that for days and days in a row? Guess we'll go with the flow. Maybe call the midwife with the info and let her decide if it's worth coming over :)

37 weeks, going on 38. I've entered some kind of timeless limbo over here. I've officially decided that this week is my last to schedule massages, which is relieving, because my hands are swelling along with my feet, and massage makes them hurt a bit more... but now the frig door (where we write our crazy schedules) looks so blank! I already am done with the toddler invasions - playgroup of 10 kids and one other adult that came twice a week (Crystal, I feel for the daycare thing!) which made me go into this tizzy of reclaiming our house-space. I actually told DH "This baby won't come until there's a couch in that room!" which made me feel completely insane upon hearing the words exit my mouth. Now there's a couch in there, though, ha! And DS has a new bedroom, complete with blue walls and ceiling and white clouds, painted by my mom, who has become my Chief Woman Of Action and Nesting Enabler.

Yesterday I spaced on a midwife appointment. Totally didn't have it on my radar (or on the frig, though it was in my phone calendar). But I called when I realized it, an hour later, and she said to come on over. Still waiting on the GBS results, did a blood draw for a CBC (she said, "might as well, just to be responsible") and to my relief I came out negative for the symptomless UTI we diagnosed a week ago. Yay for cranberry capsules and Emergen-C!

No car today, so we are somewhat stranded at home since it's 5 billion degrees outside. Gonna try to make these next days/weeks before baby comes really good attention/bonding/cup-filling-up ones for DS. He is such a sweetie, will be a great big brother, but I know he's feeling my attention pull away from him a lot lately.

Off to make some watermelon agua fresca for the day. It's my magic tonic to keep the pillow feet at bay!

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

Yesterday I spaced on a midwife appointment. Totally didn't have it on my radar (or on the frig, though it was in my phone calendar). But I called when I realized it, an hour later, and she said to come on over.
Haha I totally did the same thing on Monday. I wasn't even thinking about it, then had this sudden urge to transfer all my appointments from my agenda to my wall calendar. I pulled out my agenda, saw I had an appointment at 1:45. I looked up at the clock. It was 1:43. Ooops. I called right away and luckily they were willing to wait around for me, haha. It was a bit of a rush, though!

The ants seem to be tapering down. I put a line of salt along the door jamb as suggested on a website. Then I swept and washed the hell out of the floor, inspected the cupboards to make sure nothing in there could attract them, double checked that the dog food bin was sealed properly, and basically scrubbed down the entire main floor because of the heeby-jeebies. I haven't seen an ant since. So hopefully they've given up on trying to find food in here. Yuuuccckkk.

Still having mild contractions today, totally sporadic but painful enough to stop me. Probably caused from my cleaning-fest, come to think of it. I'm going to pour myself a glass of water and chill on the couch for a bit watching Price is Right. I'm still not used to this whole "stay at home" thing, and have no idea how to fill my time aside from nesting, hah. I'm planning on tackling the linen closet next.

#22 ·
Baby is officially head-down! Looks like all the internet flipping tricks may have worked. And the u/s tech confirmed that yes, she's still a girl. =) Everything else looks great. Looks like DH is going to be very close to his guess of 6lbs 9oz as baby's weight. Seems random, given that my last two were 8lbs 6oz and 8lbs 7oz...nowhere near close to six pounds. But the measurements show that she's just over 6lbs, currently. So she'll be a small fry compared to the other two!

#24 ·
Nikki: What a relief! Now you want to do a bunch of deep squats to really wedge her in there. Or the tummy-binding thing, if you can manage it... I couldn't. The baby has stayed head-down regardless, fortunately.

MaryElizabeth: Has it happened yet? Good luck! Hope everything goes like clockwork for you!

Today is my official EDD. I was planning to let it pass with serene disregard, but then last night I couldn't sleep, had a few more BH than usual (or was I just imagining that?) and ended up tossing and turning until 3AM at least. Ehh. I was sort of anxious for labour to start, but I'm over it again - Mum's taking DD tonight so DH and I can go out for a final fling and watch Super 8, and (as DH put it with true paternal tenderness) I'd rather watch a movie than take care of a newborn. :p

Had a blood test yesterday - DD had to come along, and was most intrigued as usual by the procedure. (Side note: as a non-vaxxer, I'm kind of in awe of parents who can successfully make their three-year-olds get shots. No way DD would put up with any of that malarkey!) The pathlab tech was most impressed when DD solicitously offered me a glass of water after the test. :) Oh, and two people gave me compliments about my hair! Given that I've felt like a slobby, bulging mess for the past few months, that was nice to hear... as were comments not directed at the size of my tummy. Bless you, pathlab tech and lady in carpark (although, lady in carpark, tugging on someone's braid as you compliment it is possibly a tad creepy. But you're old, so it's OK.)

ETA: Oh, you know how I was whining about money issues? Well, last night (after staying up until 1AM to finish an article, poor chap) DH said he'd been asked to do some podcasts on a really big freelancing site, that should hopefully get him heaps of exposure (and therefore, hopefully again, lots of sales of his ebook). Here's hoping this turns things around! He's asked for my help transcribing a few of his podcast video thingies so he can turn them into articles, too, which makes me feel useful.

#25 ·
Nikki- I'm so glad your baby turned! Yay!

Smokering...woman, you put me to shame. LOL I shipped the kids off to my mom's and I've been lying around in bed in the peace and quiet. Friends want to get the kids together for playdates and hang out, but I told them I just can't do it. So tired. How are you keeping so busy?!

I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to know when to go in. After having 2 homebirths, one that was 3.5 hours and the other 30-45 minutes, I have no idea when I'm supposed to wait it out and see how far apart the contractions are, or just go in. Having a hospital birth this time around due to hbp and it's 39 minutes away. Plus, with this baby, I get contractions now and then. Never happened with the other 3. If my water breaks, that usually means I have no time, at least with the last two. Ugh! Isn't there some manual somewhere that tells what and when everything is going to happen and what you are supposed to do?! LOL

#26 ·
We got our new loveseat delivered! Slight snag, though: we haven't managed to find a buyer for the couch yet. So we can't set up the loveseat, the boxes containing it are blocking most of the stairwell, and there is really too much furniture in the living room because the couch is bigger than the loveseat and now we have wedged in the new rocking chair. Come on, Craigslist, work some magic and send us a buyer for the couch.

Not much else is new here, still nesting. I am only 38 wks now and I don't think I'm likely to have this baby for at least another week. I haven't noticed any physical changes, and no symptoms that I haven't already been having. As long as she hangs out a few more days, though, my husband can finish his quarter, and that would really be best anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.