she's here! born at the birth center at dawn & home later that day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! it has been awhile since I've checked in here -- but I've been enjoying reading about how everyone has been doing. Our june bug, Geraldine Sadie, was born at just after four in the morning on last Thursday, June 9th, just as the sun was rising.

I started having mild contractions around 7:30 in the evening or so on Wednesday, and we headed to the birth center around 10:30p or so. I am so so satisfied with our experience in this birth center (a midwife-led unit within the largest hospital in our small german city). I had the no drug, no needles, very minimal intervention (just a bit of monitoring when we first got there) birth I wanted for my daughter (but with the option to go full-steam with every intervention possible in seconds had we needed it!) ... and I was blessed at the end with this soo alert, healthy little creature, who was nursing in the first ten minutes! I don't even remember her crying at all, although I'm told she did give a cry in that moment before she was laid on my belly. The midwives were amazing, totally respected our wishes, and my husband was just incredible. After I delivered the placenta the midwife gave us a tour of its coolness while we waited for the cord to stop pulsing. This is our first, so it was all new to us! Then she helped my husband to cut the cord and they left us alone like that for an hour or so. It was pretty incredible. When they weighed her later, she clocked in at 8 lbs, 12 oz (~4kg). Okay, I'm rambling now.

:-)

The only snag was that the ward (which is different location within the hospital than the birth center/labor & delivery) was so totally full of women due to various reasons, that my husband would have had to go home (!) for the afternoon & night .... not the way we imagined the first night for our new family. So I talked with midwives about me going home that day, and everyone thought it was a good idea. Many checkups and pep-talks later, we were on the bus for the short ride home. The bus was maybe not our best idea ever (the 10 min ride felt a LOT longer than normal), but we don't have a car and a taxi wasn't an option since we don't have baby's car-seat either. It was kinda crazy, but it was also great to be in my own bed that afternoon. And in the german system, a midwife comes to visit you daily for the first six weeks, which has been a great help & good for our peace of mind ... especially since we are very far from our families. The care here is pretty incredible. I feel soo lucky.

Thanks for reading my rambling story! wishing all of you all the best! 

DSC06751.JPG

hi!

#2 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

She's beautiful! Congrats mama - sounds like a wonderful experience!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#3 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Congratulations!   She's beautiful!  joy.gif

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Amazing!  So glad you had a positive experience.  She's gorgeous.  Love the name.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#5 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Oh mama, she's beautiful and that's a wonderful story!

Happy Babymoon!

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#6 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Congratulations!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#7 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Huge Congratulations to you all!! What a beautiful Baby Girl! x

Wife to wonderful hippy guy treehugger.gif, Mum to Tabitha 11/08 and Seth 06/11

#8 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Blessings & congrats mama and baby. She's lovely!!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#9 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM

aww congratulations she's a doll!

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#10 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM

I can't believe you took the bus home! That's wild! Congratulations on a beautiful birth and beautiful baby :) :) :)

#11 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Congrats! She is totally sweet. I can't believe you took the bus either! I can see why you did though. :)  Enjoy your babymoon!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#12 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM

Congrats on your sweet baby girl! joy.gif
Thank you for sharing your story!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#13 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Congratulations!  She looks absolutely wonderful!!

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#14 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM

What a story!  You'll have to tell her of her first bus ride! Congratulations!  She's a cutie!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page