The 41+ week thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else 41 weeks or more? I'm 41w1d today.

What are you doing to stay sane?

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#2 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 AM

I'm 41+1 today, too! I don't know if I have been staying sane. I spend a lot of time overanalyzing every twinge in my body. When I'm not doing that, my brain's default-coping setting has been, "Well, we missed all our dates, so I guess we're not having a baby afterall." Totally weird! I know that's not the case, but I feel like I have to remind myself that yes, baby is, in fact, still on the way. I'm a first-timer so I really have no conception of what's about to happen.

Good luck to you. Maybe the full moon tonight will pull these nuggets out of us!

Laura (33) and DH (39) due in June with our first!
"...Living just enough, just enough, for the city"
#3 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDay View Post

I'm 41+1 today, too! I don't know if I have been staying sane. I spend a lot of time overanalyzing every twinge in my body. When I'm not doing that, my brain's default-coping setting has been, "Well, we missed all our dates, so I guess we're not having a baby afterall." Totally weird! I know that's not the case, but I feel like I have to remind myself that yes, baby is, in fact, still on the way. I'm a first-timer so I really have no conception of what's about to happen.

Good luck to you. Maybe the full moon tonight will pull these nuggets out of us!

I feel the exact same way!

#4 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 AM

I am 41wks today. I am going crazy. I was induced with my first at 41+1 so I keep reminding myself that last time I didn't have a baby at this point either. Oh, and I am also not dilated or effaced in any way. I have also had no contractions. Sweet. I had an u/s yesterday and everything looks perfect. He's still happy in there I guess. My midwife scheduled me for induction on Monday saying that I need the mental reassurance that it is going to happen. And then assured my I'd go into labor this weekend. Acupuncture today. Another u/s on Friday.

The hardest part is the peanut gallery. All of my neighbors are bugging me and wondering why I wasn't induced a week ago. Hearing other people talk about how they went into labor at 38 weeks is annoying. It's just hard being a spectacle and having to answer the same question over and over.

I am literally going to howl at the moon tonight.

#5 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Does it help to know that a study showed 41 +1 as the most common time to have a baby if you're not induced? They talked a bit about that in our Bradley class and it reassured me when I went to 41 +2 with DS. With this baby, I'm just assuming it'll be 42, so I don't even feel antsy, now, at 39. Have you guys tried talking to baby? Visualizing?

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#6 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 AM

I'll be 41w on Friday. 

I've talked and visualised until I couldn't stand it. I've dutifully practiced with the Hypnobabies Come Out track. Nothing. Nearly no prodromal labour which is my usual way of things. I've held my daughter and did the mourning cry of letting her go as my youngest. I've taken Birth Prep since 34w, EPO and borage, intercourse and orgasms neveryoumind the hundred phone calls and emails I get everyday, the public spectacle I've become. My last two were born at 41w2d which is Sunday for me. I'm ok with that I guess. I guess. What else is there to do? Solstice baby? No thanks. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM

So glad to see this thread , I'm starting to freak out !  I was due the 5th ( and I know when I concieved , so it's accurate  ) and so afraid of medical intervention.... on the flip side, I'm worried about making the wrong choice and accepting that sometimes mother nature does screw up.  

#8 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Heidi, I utterly and totally agree with you. I hate making this decision!

#9 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm 41 weeks today. Had bloody show this morning, so I'm really hoping today is it - particularly because tomorrow's my birthday and I don't want to share. :p I know bloody show doesn't guarantee labour within a specific timeframe... still, it's nice to feel that something's happening. So I'm going to spend today washing my hair, tidying up and otherwise puttering around getting ready, just in case.

Quote:
Does it help to know that a study showed 41 +1 as the most common time to have a baby if you're not induced?

Are you sure about that? I've read that for first babies, 9 or 10 days after the EDD is the average, but for multiparas it's more like 3 days after the EDD. I came across a study on it yesterday, online.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 PM

partytime.gifHappy almost birthday to you and baby!partytime.gif

#11 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Yes apparently the more accurate calculation is LMP - 3 months + 15 days for primiparous caucasian women (10 days for non-caucasian I believe?) and +3 days for multips. These are all just averages though! 

Lots of interesting info here: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/dueDates.html

Sometimes I think they should just do away with the EDD altogether...although then we would probably go batty with nothing to plan around or tell people!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Are you sure about that? I've read that for first babies, 9 or 10 days after the EDD is the average, but for multiparas it's more like 3 days after the EDD. I came across a study on it yesterday, online.

#12 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM

And ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

partytime.gifHappy almost birthday to you and baby!partytime.gif

#13 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM

Just saw this nifty post on the topic today on someone's FB http://www.ecobabyoutlet.com/category-s/198.htm  Smokering, you're right, that is for first baby.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#14 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Post dates stinks. What will you ladies miss about being pregnant? 

Right now I'm having a difficult time feeling baby centered and can't say I'll miss feeling him moving and such lovely things BUT I will miss the lush, pregnant hair (especially once it starts falling out postpartum) and the always clear skin. I'll also miss - to an extent - my ripe and taut tummy. I think it's a very foxy look for me redface.gif

#15 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I honestly can't think of a single thing I'll miss about being pregnant. I don't do the dewy-skinned glowing-bellied earth mother thing, I just creak and faint. Not the pleasantest way to spend nine months! Of course, being cynical, if I have a terrible newborn who never sleeps, well, I might feel like I've downgraded my station in life a bit. :p But I don't think that counts as missing pregnancy... just not liking the newborn all-night nursing sessions.

Yep, feeling real poetical today!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be doing much of note tomorrow, beyond me hoping not to go into labour. DH told me proudly that he just bought me a birthday present online - which is sweet, but I doubt it'll arrive by tomorrow - and we're supposed to be going to a cafe for lunch with my family, but not until Saturday (and not at all, I guess, if I give birth before then!). So, yeah. We'll be having roast chicken and chocolate mousse for dessert, and watching the recent Star Trek movie... which is nice... but it won't be the funnest birthday ever. Oh well! Don't mind me, I'm just in a quietly foul mood with life in general... and wondering if that's a sign of incipient labour. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#16 of 63 Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
fjc

I'm 41 wks tomorrow.  Had 8 rounds of acupuncture, 3 rounds of homeopathic inducement and nothing.  The acupuncturist has never had a baby resist the contraction inducements before so I can't wait to meet the fireball inside who knows what she wants when she wants it!  

I was 2 wks early with my DD and 41+1 with DS.  I hate being overdue! All of a sudden its now a uterine death trap - "let's check your levels, go to the hospital for NST, yadda yadda yadda"  Where was my laidback midwife of last week? Geesh! 

Oh and DH is gone at a course until Friday night.  

I like the idea to howl at the moon tonight!! lol!  Naked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamcelroy View Post

Acupuncture today. 

I am literally going to howl at the moon tonight.

SAHM (32) Married to DH (32). Loving my DD ('06), DS ('08), and DD ('11)

#17 of 63 Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

41w2d today.

I've been really relaxed up until now, but today I'm feeling incredibly over it. I feel like my body is never going to go into labor by itself. I've tried pretty much every home induction technique short of castor oil, and at best I get one or two piddling contractions.

I just don't understand why nothing's happening! I've been having contractions for weeks, baby's been engaged for weeks. What exactly is the hold up??

I'm also freaking out a little because tomorrow is a major national holiday (like our 4th of July) which means everywhere is going to be understaffed.

Oh yeah and my mother is arriving from the other side of the world in under 48 hours and we need to somehow transport her home from the airport and get her into her apartment while I'm either in labour, close to it, or have a day old baby.

surrender.gif

#18 of 63 Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh Snowflake, that sounds so rough. 41w2d is my coocoo bananas cutoff because it's the date labour began with my last two. After that, forget it. 

I'm not yet in the 41st week - I have until midnight for that. Today I was incredibly, terribly exhausted. I tried to nap when I put the little one down but my 4 and 7yo's were animals and it was more mental torture than restful. I'm sure some of it is me, I know I'm cranky and have a short fuse, but come on! I cried a lot because I feel physically and emotionally defeated. I'll lose my HB in a week. Tomorrow I have a NST scheduled and Monday is the BPP. I feel like they're let's-find-a-reason-to-induce tests. I think I'll reschedule the NST and give myself the weekend - I'd have to bring three kids to it anyway. My 20mo is currently trying to beautify my hair with a brush meant for dishes. On the upside (maybe) (it's not impossible) I've had a fair amount of contractions today. I'm hoping I can be awake enough when my SO gets home at some awful hour to make love - which I am not in the mood for - and hopefully birth the baby by the weekend. Also, I'm putting these kids to bed early. etc etc etc with the whinging.    

#19 of 63 Old 06-16-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, (well, yesterday...it's 1am here) was definitely the cut-off for me too. The shift in my mood since just a couple of days ago has been drastic.

I need to find my happy place again. I'm flailing about feeling like this will never end, but if I stop and think rationally for just a moment I remember that I'll be induced by 42 weeks anyway, so at most I have 4 days to go. I've waited more than 9 months, I can survive 4 days, right?? Not that I'm thrilled at the prospect of being induced, but at this point I'm relieved just to have an end-point in sight. If anything happens before then, it's a bonus.

I had my membranes swept today. That was 12 hours ago and I haven't felt anything, so I guess it didn't do much.

#20 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 AM

Snowflake, sorry to hear you're feeling a drop in your mood, I'm right there with you! 

Not sure where in the world you are, but I'll be looking at a hospital induction too if I can't move this little man out of his comfy place by next Saturday! Like you say, what's one week when you've been pregnant all this time...but don't these days just seem like the longest?! 

I'm having a sweep today also, but since I've felt nothing up to now I'm not totally hopeful! irked.gif

Kawa, I hope your contractions are a sign of something exciting! I haven't laughed much the last few days but the image of your LO brushing your hair with a dish brush certainly made me giggle! orngbiggrin.gif

Wife to wonderful hippy guy treehugger.gif, Mum to Tabitha 11/08 and Seth 06/11

#21 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Snowflake, I just wanted to say it took 48 hours for my membrane sweep to work, but it did!  I hope all of you guys that are past due welcome your little ones very soon!  ((hugs))

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#22 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 11:02 AM

Oh man, July DDC has started having their babies irked.gif (Happy for babies, but seems just a little unfair!)

Momsteader likes this.

#23 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post

Snowflake, I just wanted to say it took 48 hours for my membrane sweep to work, but it did!  I hope all of you guys that are past due welcome your little ones very soon!  ((hugs))

Thanks! My MW said it would happen within 24 hours if the sweep had worked, but a lot of people say longer. I lost my mucus plug this morning so that's something, right? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLtheTinkerbell View Post

Oh man, July DDC has started having their babies irked.gif (Happy for babies, but seems just a little unfair!)

I know!

I'm on another forum and there's a post due-date thread there, and someone jumped in to say "I had all three babies electively induced at 39 weeks, I can't imagine going past my due date!!". I know she didn't mean it to be rude, but really?? (Not to mention the insanity of inducing a week early for absolutely no reason...)

Momsteader likes this.

#24 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Yep, I had given up on it working and then my water broke in the middle of the night...I'm pretty positive it was the membrane sweep, because my water broke but my contractions were not close together yet.  A lot of people told me it took them around 36-48 hours, too.

I can't imagine electively inducing at 39 weeks!  That's crazyness to me.

Okay, leaving you guys alone now...I'm not even 40 weeks yet but just had to post my experience for encouragement!  :)

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#25 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Any action from anyone here yet ? I'll hit 42 weeks  Sat  and don't feel like a thing is happening :(

At what point do you start worrying about things deteriorating and accept intervention ? I'm so at odd with myself ! 

on another note, does anyone have any idea why I may not be getting updates to this thread ? I just logged in to see them, normally they come to my email.....

#26 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm one of those strange people that will miss so much about being pregnant ! I was misserably sick for about 4 months this time but once that went away I have been pretty content. Love the belly and feeling her move around in there, and my daughter talking to her in there. of course being able to get comfy at night will be a big bonus though ! 

#27 of 63 Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 PM

I think it's always easier to care for them inside than out!  That's a plus to think of for the last few weeks :)

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#28 of 63 Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm ready to accept a bit of prodding and by mid-week I'd be willing to accept more because I don't want to have a hospital birth only for the nerve of going past 42w. So that's my answer. I have faith in my body and all that but I also balance it with the reality of my situation, my ability to stay sane and my desire to not be physically miserable and therefore a crab.

I'm ready to hold my son in my arms, my last baby. Nursing a gorgeous, milk-drunk newborn - what's better? I'm ready to begin recovering so that I can take my older children to do fun things this summer. I'm ready to begin feeling like the real me rather than the pod person, the vessel that I've been since September. I suppose I don't think now is easier than next week but, I've been blessed with two easy babies in a row so this could all change. Regardless, the fireflies are out, the last spring flowers are blooming and my entire body and heart are ready.  

My yesterday was filled with contractions and pressure, the loom of labour. I said to my SO that it would be soon, maybe a day or two. My daughters woke me at 6:30 today (why?????) and labour is feeling less pressing. My cervix doesn't feel very exciting and there are no terrific globs of mucous coming out. I didn't do anything to encourage contractions because I wanted to wait til the weekend when my favourite midwife is on call for two full days. She told me that the MW who caught my first daughter is assisting her on Sunday - I think that would be the most divine and perfect pairing if only baby cooperates which, clearly, he does not. I skipped out on my NST and chiro appointment because I am just so done with going to offices to have things done. There's an appointment set up for Monday (I'll be 41w3d) to "help things along" which I assume is a sweep. I'm not big on those things but days away from losing my homebirth I will take it and a side of castor oil diarrhea please and thank you. 

p.s. Can you tell what a terrible Hypnobabies student I am? I rarely change my vocab. I do think of the work of birth as more intense, sensual and surreal than the negative adjectives I could use, for whatever that's worth.  

#29 of 63 Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 AM

My days seem to vary wildly at the moment. Had a sweep yesterday...well I suppose two really since my MW bought a student, and she had a go too eyesroll.gif

She's coming to do another tomorrow morning but I've already called her to say that the first one has led to me lose loads of bloody mucous (TMI?)...I wasn't sure if that was normal, but she seemed quite pleased!

I'm also not hugely keen on all these methods of 'intervention', but similarly I will lose the chance to have this LO at home after next Sat so I'll take anything at this point!

I am feeling 'done' with being pregnant now. And the insides of my legs are so tight and sore I'm waddling/limping everywhere and it's getting right on my nerves!! 

#30 of 63 Old 06-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

I'm ready to begin recovering so that I can take my older children to do fun things this summer. I'm ready to begin feeling like the real me rather than the pod person, the vessel that I've been since September.

yeahthat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page