Mothering Forum banner

Baby arrived this morning- Birth story added

1K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  tashantx 
#1 ·
Baby Girl arrived this morning after 1 hour and 43 minutes of labor. I woke up to a very hard contraction at 3 a.m. exactly, called the midwife at 3:10 and baby was caught by the midwife's assistant at 4:43 a.m. Midwife arrived about 10 minutes later. Baby is perfect. 8 lbs. 2 oz (my guess!) and 20.5 inches, one day before her due date! I'll update with the birth story later and pics! Now if only I can pry her out of my eldest daughter's arms.
joy.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birth Story

It was a crazy fast birth. I went to bed the night before seriously thinking it was going to be another week at least because I was having zero symptoms. Then during the night I turned over and had a contraction that really hurt. I looked at the time and it was 3 a.m. exactly. I got up, went to the bathroom, had another contraction that hurt. Took the dog out to pee and came back into DH's room and had another contraction that hurt. It was 3:10 at that point. I went to the bathroom and checked myself which I had been doing the past six week and after feeling nothing but a baby's head (no cervix) I not only felt my cervix, but my bag of water was bulging. We called the midwife and doula and started setting up the pool. I was of no help because every time I did anything I had a hard contraction. I had a natural birth last time and these were much worse and in my back. My doula showed up about 3:40 and I was so beyond thankful for her. DH is not exactly into helping me so he was relieved as well. He frantically continued to try to get the pool filled while I labored over the birthing ball on the living room floor. DD2 had awoken about 3:30 and proceeded to talk incessantly through my contractions. That was annoying. :) At some point in here I kind of checked out mentally because contractions were coming every 90 seconds to 2 minutes and they were almost more than I could handle. My doula assured me that as soon as my water broke it would be all over. Then I felt the baby rotate inside me (I screamed that she was moving - it hurt SO bad) then DH said "someone's here" (it was the midwife's assistant) and within a minute my water broke. DH went to wake up DD1 so she could watch. Seven minutes later she was born on the living room floor into the hands of the assistant who was frantically trying to put her gloves on. My midwife got there about 10 minutes after that. Funny thing is that she started crying/whimpering the second her lips touched the air, before she was even born. DH got some great shots that I won't be posting :) but it was cool for me to see it afterwards (I had her in the squatting position). One minor skid mark, and that was it. I'm three days out and red bleeding has stopped, just lochia now. After pains have been bad today, but I think it's because my milk came in last night - much to the joy of my three year old nursling!!

It was a great birth, but way more intense and painful than I could have dreamed (even after already experiencing a natural birth). But then again, it was less than half of the time of my last birth so I guess a lot had to happen within that short period. DD1 got to cut the cord (she did watch the entire thing and thought it was exciting and fun) and will hardly let anyone hold the baby. She is really good with her, though, so it nice to have someone to help when I need to go to the bathroom.

baby M 1.jpg

See less See more
#10 ·
Congratulations and welcome to your new baby girl! That is a super fast labor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.