Seth John, born at home, last night, weighing 8lb 11oz (birth story added) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

joy.gif

My birth story:

I had a sweep on Sunday afternoon and started to have irregular crampy contractions that afternoon, I went for a long walk to see if I could get them going a bit, which it did. They were about seven mins apart and very manageable, they tapered off through Sunday night only waking me up a couple of times but then they really got going again at around 4am. I got up so as not to wake DH & DD and tried to sleep on the sofa, the contractions got pretty hard but were still only around 7 mins apart, then my daughter woke up at 7am and I found the contractions really became erratic again, sometimes not coming for 15 mins or so.

We decided to call my Mum (who lives 2.5hrs away) as something made DH think that this might be 'it', but at first when she arrived her presence made me stressed, since the contractions didn't seem to be progressing and I worried we'd called her for nothing!!

At about 6pm I called one of the community midwives, I was getting concerned that labour was stalling and wanted to see if she could offer any reassurance. I asked her not to do another sweep because the last one had left me quite sore, but she did examine me and said that I was now completely effaced and that Seth's head was further down. I was so happy that I was making progress, my whole mood changed and I started feeling very much like I was actually in labour.

DH put DD to bed and then we made the living room 'ready' for our home birth. My waters broke while I was chatting to my Mum on the birthing ball at about 7.45 and from there the contractions got very intense, very quickly, I had been so sure that the whole labour would end up being as slow to progress as the early phase, that I kept putting off calling the midwife, but by about 8.30 it really seemed like I might be in transition so DH called her, after speaking to me between contractions she said she'd be straight over and she arrived about 10 minutes later. The rest of it is a bit hazy, I vaguely remember her arriving and being a wonderfully calming presence despite the fact I hadn't met her before. She didn't need to check me to see I was ready to start pushing (although I didn't believe her!). She told me to do whatever felt natural...this was the best thing she could have said, and these words worked perfectly for me in that moment. I had definitely been holding back for fear I was nowhere near ready to push, but when she said this I just went with it! 

Seth was born at 21.38, around an hour after the midwife arrived. I didn't tear (just a slight bruise to one side) so there were no stitches, everything was so calm. The placenta came after about 10 minutes and we kept it for smoothies (I had my first one this morning and they are lovely!) They stayed for a cup of tea afterwards, I had something to eat & they watched us nurse.

The fact he had been OP on Sunday made no difference to his delivery, I wish I hadn't worried so much! It really was perfect, we're completely in love with him, all going well, can't wait to get him weighed on Saturday to see if all this milk he is drinking is fattening him up! love.gif

SuburbanHippie likes this.

Wife to wonderful hippy guy treehugger.gif, Mum to Tabitha 11/08 and Seth 06/11

#2 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Congrats!!!

#3 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 AM

yay congratulations! :D

Mama to Arielle babyf.gif07/01/11

#4 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 AM

that is so awesome! Congrats to you!

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#5 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 AM

joy.gif
Congrats mama!! Welcome Seth (great name!!!) Look forward to hearing more!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 AM

Congrats! So glad he's earthside!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yay! Congrats! I can't wait to read the birth story! Welcome Seth John.

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#8 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Congratulations!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#9 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Congrats ! <3 his name!joy.gif

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#10 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Congratulations!!  I hope that you and Seth are doing well. joy.gif

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#11 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Yahoo!!! Congratulations and love the name Seth. 

#12 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Yay!!  So glad everything went well for you.  Congratulations on your new boy!!joy.gif

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

#13 of 15 Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Congratulations Mama!!! Have a wonderful babymoon! I love his name! :-)

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#14 of 15 Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM

love the story! Thanks for sharing!

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#15 of 15 Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM

DDCC  Congrats

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page