Birth music - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What (if any) music did you/are you planning on listening to during labor? My first 2 I demanded silence, but this time I feel like I'll want some music. Wondering what works for other people.

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#2 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM

I made a playlist of everything on my iTunes that's mellow and not depressing (excluding classical because it never comes out at the same volume as other stuff, which is irritating). I'll see how I like it when the time comes.

#3 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wasn't sure I wanted music during labour, but at the last minute when I rang Mum to come stay with DD while we headed to the birth centre, I asked her to bring her Amici Forever CD. I ended up listening to that twice during labour (well, "listening..."!), and it was nice. Nella Fantasia was my favourite track - we had that music at our wedding.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 07:13 PM

I'll be listening to my Hypnobabies. Last time, I most enjoyed Sigur Ros.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#5 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

I thought about Sigur Ros too but I thought the crescendos would irritate me. I have a playlist with some Ram Das and similar music. Chanting and instrumental.

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#6 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM

I loved the music in my prenatal yoga DVD and ordered it to use at my birth:

Donna De Lory: The lover and Beloved

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C3FERI/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Dave Stringer: Japa

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129GC1O/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Dave Stringer: Mala

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QQOUGI/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Tom Rossi: Salma Har

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00177E0BK/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Hopefully the links work. 

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#7 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM

I had a playlist of artists like Adele, Norah Jones, Michael Buble, etc. However, when the time came I didn't feel like listening to anything at all. It would have been more noise that I would have had to filter out.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#8 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started making a playlist, but then I realized that I'll likely just want to listen to my hypnobabies stuff, so hopefully I won't regret that decision during my birthing time. I can't imagine that I will though! 

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#9 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You never know... I was planning to listen to my Hypnobabies tracks during labour, but when the time came I didn't want to. I felt like they would have been really intrusive and interfered with me concentrating on my body. I didn't feel that way about a CD of music playing in the background, though.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM

I put together a short playlist - it's mostly happy songs about love (general love rather than romantic) like Beatles "All you need is love" and Bob Marley "One Love".  Not the music I usually listen to but they just feel right. Who knows if I'll feel like putting it on when the time comes! If anything it'll make a nice postpartum playlist :)

#11 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staryla View Post

I loved the music in my prenatal yoga DVD and ordered it to use at my birth:

Donna De Lory: The lover and Beloved

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C3FERI/ref=docs-os-doi_0

I danced through part of my birth to Donna De Lory and it was great!  We put it on at the hospital also and I pushed our beautiful baby out to it.  Both the midwife and nurse asked what music was playing because they really like it too!  I used Hypnobabies but listening to the tracks was just irritating during active labor.  I needed to be up and moving--though I would use the Hypnobabies techniques during each wave.  

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page