I want name help too! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Grover Felix or Oliver Felix?
Grover Felix 5 20.83%
Oliver Felix 19 79.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm totally being a copycat here. I'm really struggling with our boy names (we don't know gender, so this could be a nonissue). We really like Oliver Felix and that has been our chosen name, but I swear I keep seeing Oliver everywhere! And I've liked Grover for a long time also, even before we chose Oliver. DH prefers Oliver but is willing to give me leeway on this if I compromise more on the girl name (I'm not super in love with DH's girl name choice). So I'm considering going back to Grover. Who knows...maybe I'll just know once I see baby boy (if it's a boy). What do you guys think?

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I LOVE Oliver as a boy's name :)

Mama to Arielle babyf.gif07/01/11

#3 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm a huge fan of Oliver. Grover makes me think of the blue monster from Sesame Street.

erigeron and NuzzleNudge like this.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#4 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It's hard to think of Grover outside the context of Sesame street, but aside from that I like it.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 PM

I like Oliver as well.  I see Owen a ton, but not Oliver and I have yet to meet an Oliver in real life.  I agree with Grover and the Sesame Street association.  However, go with what feels right.  It might be a non-issue like you said, or he may look like one and not the other.  We had Margot picked out and within an hour of her being born we had ruled it out because she looked nothing like a Margot to us.  Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM

We considered Oliver too, but chose to go with another name. One of Ds's names is Yver and a bit to close to Ol'iver' for us.

I don't hear any mom's calling out for "Oliver" at the Library or at Dd's preschool, or at the local parks come to think of it. Maybe it's a name that isn't popular in our area? :shrug:

I love Oliver Felix.

Good luck!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#7 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Oliver Felix! The names are perfect together. :)

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#8 of 15 Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I love Grover but I agree that the Sesame Street association is just a little too strong :(

#9 of 15 Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the responses. I know Grover is associated with Sesame Street, but in my mind I thought, well hey, he was a US president too. Maybe people will just get over it and it won't be a big deal. But it seems from all the posts like the association is super strong. And I guess now that I think about it I don't know any Olivers in person. I do keep hearing the name over and over, but it's all in places online. Of course, that being said, the year I named my son Ayden I only personally knew one Aiden. Boy has that changed! It's such a huge responsibility to name a child, huh? It's just not something I want to screw up!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#10 of 15 Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 PM

A minority voice here for Grover, love it!  It has such a friendly feeling, I think in part maybe because of the blue muppet?  I have met a couple young Oscars recently and didn't picture them grouchy in trash cans, it's just their name.  I've met a couple Olivers recently too, both under 1 year old...

Hee hee, hope that doesn't throw too big a wrench in the process :)

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#11 of 15 Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

A minority voice here for Grover, love it!  It has such a friendly feeling, I think in part maybe because of the blue muppet?  I have met a couple young Oscars recently and didn't picture them grouchy in trash cans, it's just their name.  I've met a couple Olivers recently too, both under 1 year old...

Hee hee, hope that doesn't throw too big a wrench in the process :)

You big wrench! ROTFLMAO.gif

I agree with the friendly feeling. It's funny to me because hubby has actually suggested the name Oscar, which I'm not going for. But I don't think the association with Oscar is as strong. I don't know if it's because it's more common as an actual name? Sesame Street didn't pop into my head when hubby suggested Oscar. I wonder why Grover seems to have such a strong association?

#12 of 15 Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Sorry, but Grover will never NOT be a Muppet for me and for a lot of people! Oscar doesn't do it for me, either, but it's not such a strong association with Sesame Street. A good friend loved Oliver but her DH nixed it. I've also never met one in real life, but it is supposedly ascending the popularity list. 

#13 of 15 Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Another huge vote for Grover.  I don't go for that whole, "he's a sesame street guy". LOL  I have a son named "Linus" and everyone said, "he's a peanuts guy", but no one ever thinks that...or hardly ever thinks that.  He's just Linus and everyone says it's adorable and perfect for him.  It just becomes who they are.  If you like the name, go for it. :)  Grover, Oscar and Felix were all on our top boys name list, but we had a girl.  I personally love Felix and that was the name we chose in the end, but I adore Grover and I think it's adorable for a little tiny baby.  So sweet and a really cool name for a teenager, too!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#14 of 15 Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Love Grover. And I've heard several Olivers around my town.

Grover is a past president!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Cleveland
#15 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 AM

DDCC - Love Oliver!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page