Tandem nursing anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious of any of you are tandem nursing?  Wondering how it is going for you...and need commiseration! 

My three year old nursed throughout the pregnancy, but was down to about 2 to 3 times a day when baby was born.  Once the baby was born she wanted to nurse every time the baby did, but she didn't figure out how to suck again until about two days after my milk came in.  Now?  She's obsessed!  She loves the milk and wants to nurse all of the time.  I'm going crazy.  I literally have two kiddos pawing at my breasts 24/7!  I don't mind the baby most of the time, but I'm really getting touched out.  I'm producing massive amounts of milk so that isn't a problem, except for the baby getting too much and immediately puking it back up. 

That's my life right now...anyone else?

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm not tandem nursing this time around but I did it last time around. I let dd have free reign the first few months. She was in love with the milk (I had SO much milk!) after enduring little to nothing during the pregnancy. She was 2 at the time. When I felt I had reached my limit - touched out tired of the asking/whining to nurse all the time) I limited her nursing time to twice a day - after breakfast and during the news after dinner, (and a few other times a day on occasion) .

I struggled not knowing how I should deal with the tandem issue after the first 4-5 months. I wanted to let dd have control over when she wanted/needed to nurse but at the same time I was touched out and ready to wean her all together. I listened to my body (and posted on MDC!) and finally was able to set boundaries so that I would be able to nurse her as long as possible. I weaned her when she was just over 3, before weaning she had gone down to 1x a day.

I'm really glad dd and ds were so close that I was able to tandem nurse. It was a special time for me with them and I really believe it fostered a bond between the two.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#3 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM

ME!  ME!  I have a 26 month old that has taken to wanting to nurse non stop.  I can see why after the milk was not so prolific the last few months before Julius was born, but I agree that touched out is the overwhelming feeling.  That and I have two others that are super affectionate.    I am already at the stage of limiting nursing to nap and bedtimes for the toddler.  And anytime she is hurt.  It's too hard to say no thenwinky.gif

And I am right there with you on the 'baby getting too much bit" too!  Julius had it coming out his nose earlier this evening.  Poor thing was so out of sorts after that!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page