Traveling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How soon would you travel with baby?  We are thinking of going to see family (four hour flight each way) in August.  Baby will be 7 weeks old at that point.  Am I being paranoid of baby catching something on the plane??  I am just terrified of baby getting sick, much less traveling with all three kids.  Would you do it or wait??

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

I flew when my 1st daughter was 2w - no other adults but in the company of my three older children. In the winter. With layovers. With about a hundred car seats and bags. I wore her in the Moby. 

I wasn't worried about her getting sick (babywearing!) and we all survived but it was trying. I'm typically out and living life within a week of birth so YMMV. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 PM

I'd go for it. We are planning a weekend in Monterey, CA (no flight involved) the end of Aug. Laurel will be 11 weeks by then...I would fly somewhere with her now...wish we could!

#4 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM

We're planning a beach vacation at the beginning of August, which will entail driving about 8 hours from home. I'd much rather do a 4 hour flight than an 8 hour car ride. :)   I don't think she'll get sick. Just wear her instead, which will also leave your hands free to wrangle your other kids and your stuff.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm planning on wearing her and such, I just had a sort of mini panic attack about it all.  Dh is coming with me and we are probably only going to take the infant seat with us (family has more seats there for the other girls), so hopefully it won't be too much.  I think part of my anxiety tends to be reading about flying and all the commentors are so rude about people with kids.  My kids are well-behaved and I try really hard, but I still worry so much about it all.  A personal problem that I'm sure I can blame on my mother.  winky.gif

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

I'm planning on wearing her and such, I just had a sort of mini panic attack about it all.  Dh is coming with me and we are probably only going to take the infant seat with us (family has more seats there for the other girls), so hopefully it won't be too much.  I think part of my anxiety tends to be reading about flying and all the commentors are so rude about people with kids.  My kids are well-behaved and I try really hard, but I still worry so much about it all.  A personal problem that I'm sure I can blame on my mother.  winky.gif

Forget about the other people, love. Your kids have a right to fly too. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 7 Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Go for it! :) Yup, don't worry about other folks.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page