July Postpartum Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ME my prayers are w/ your family. How very sad. 

My posture is improving. I am doing the dreaded Shred w/ Jillian Michaels. I did it last year to rid myself of 30lbs over the summer. I need to exercise to feel sane and get off this baby weight. I also walk two miles in the evening w/ a one of my children.

I still cry multiple times a day w/ dh gone. Every time he calls I cry. I don't know what to do. It is awful. I have asperger's tendencies, I have two w/ children Asperger's. I just feel like there is no routine, no order, no idea when all will be right.

A friend on facebook, that I never met IRL, sent me a baby gift, the cutest baby Gap outfit and card. It is the only thing I have received since Esca was born, except something from my mom. Nothing from dh's family. I cry over that too.

Oh I had 4 cavities filled yesterday. Yuck! I had them do them all at once to get it over w/. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#62 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM

I remember buying myself a gift after my first daughter was born because no one else in the world cared. It felt good to celebrate in that sad, small and probably pitiful way. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#63 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I got inspired to sew yesterday - wanted to try making some nursing tops for myself - and my bally sewing machine packed up. Again. At times I loathe that machine with a fiery intensity. It does this thing where the thread gets caught around the bobbin... holder... thing.... and hums and sticks and you end up with heaps of loops on the back of the fabric, and/or the fabric gets sucked down into the feed dogs. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and how to fix it without spending money? I got it serviced recently and it worked again for a while... sigh.

DDCC  ...

If the problem is happening on the underside of your fabric, it's normally the upper thread / assembly that is causing the issue. First thing, use a fresh needle that is the right one for the fabric, second, rethread the entire top thread, and make sure it's really caught in the tension discs --- if you think they might be linty/dusty, run some dental floss through them first to clean them out. Also, make certain to hold your tails of thread when you start off (both the upper & lower), as some machines are fussy that way -- my back up machine has fits if I don't keep both tails firmly pulled to the side for the first few stitches. Hope that helps :) Oh, also, if your fabric is light weight & getting sucked into the bottom, try a piece of tissue paper under it, that is longer than you need -- have the stitching start at the fabric, but with 1" or more of paper beyond the needle to the back, as a bit of stabilizer -- that should help (but you might not need that if everything else is working right)

~SynEpona~
#64 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 PM

It's nice to read what everyone's writing. Especially being postpartum and isolated, it's comforting to hear what other new mamas are going through. 

It's weird when families and others don't get excited about the new life. It is such a special time! They grow so fast and are so completely different. And when they are first born they are so soulful, I really feel in awe of it and don't understand how anyone couldn't.

I am so, so in love with our baby ... she seems like such an old soul to me and is so alert and conscious. I love kissing and squeezing her, she is so yummy. I am scared for her to get bigger, though! I love her newborn self.

Having been moody all my life I have noticed its the most pronounced it has ever been postpartum. I love dh but he makes me so crazy sometimes. He is such a beautiful daddy though which is more than I could ever ask for. It's so different having his baby, now I feel like we are truly stuck together which is hard for me sometimes when I get mad and just want to drive off. 

We had our last visit with our midwife today. it was sad for me not because I'll miss her but because I don't feel as though she was our Midwife, I never felt connected to her on a deep level. I didn't love her or rely on her like I expected I would. 

Our little girl weighs 9 lbs 14 oz at six weeks, from her birth weight of 6 15! I am amazed, our bodies are so miraculous.

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

#65 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM

My mother has tried to lay a guilt trip on me, both in person and via email, about how messy my house is that it's a health hazard to my child. When interacting with her I've blown it off and not responded, but it's really bugging me. I don't think I'm a bad mother and I don't think my house is a health hazard just because there happen to be some things on the floor that would need to be picked up before setting a crawling child down on it. And that's all it is--we're not talking roaches or lead paint or fumes or anything like that. I just hate getting hassled, and I don't know if it's better to ignore her or to tell her to knock it off. And my husband just had a melt-down at me (while Amelia was crying in my arms, mind) because I told him I'm not sure I want to buy a steam cleaner and I think he should work on containing baby pee a little better when he's changing her. Man has to clean vomit out of the carpet twice and all of a sudden we NEED a steam cleaner. I'm not even totally opposed to getting one, I just want to talk about it like rational adults! SIGH. First world problems.

#66 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

My mother has tried to lay a guilt trip on me, both in person and via email, about how messy my house is that it's a health hazard to my child. When interacting with her I've blown it off and not responded, but it's really bugging me. I don't think I'm a bad mother and I don't think my house is a health hazard just because there happen to be some things on the floor that would need to be picked up before setting a crawling child down on it. And that's all it is--we're not talking roaches or lead paint or fumes or anything like that. I just hate getting hassled, and I don't know if it's better to ignore her or to tell her to knock it off. And my husband just had a melt-down at me (while Amelia was crying in my arms, mind) because I told him I'm not sure I want to buy a steam cleaner and I think he should work on containing baby pee a little better when he's changing her. Man has to clean vomit out of the carpet twice and all of a sudden we NEED a steam cleaner. I'm not even totally opposed to getting one, I just want to talk about it like rational adults! SIGH. First world problems.

when daughters become mothers, the mother-daughter relationship has to adjust. is there a way to talk with her about what it was like for her to become a mother? maybe through sharing you can come to a common ground, and start defining your new relationship. blessings!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#67 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Annabelle - HUGS. Lots & lots of hugs.

erigeron - I'm sorry your mom is stressing you out! I don't know why people feel the need to give new moms a hard time about stuff that really doesn't matter. We need support & encouragement, not criticism. Who the heck keeps a spotless house with a newborn anyway??

I'm sorry about your DH too. That sounds really stressful. :/

My DH is driving me a little crazy as well. He's been complaining loudly & bitterly about DD1, pretty much non-stop throughout the day. She's on summer holiday from daycare and yes she's a handful, but the way he talks about her is really beginning to make me sad. I know he loves her and that he's out of his element playing temporary SAHD, but still... gloomy.gif

I've also been having a bit of depression during breastfeeding (http://www.d-mer.org/Home_Page.html). It's not too severe, just a bit annoying. It's so weird - a minute or so of depression then back to normal. I had this with DD1 as well. Anyone else get it?

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#68 of 215 Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Huh. I think my baby just got mocked. I was at the supermarket and an old Chinese couple came up - at least, I assume they were Chinese, they had that petition about Falun Gong persecution, which has been circulating here for about ten years. I indicated that I'd signed it, like, twelve times, and the chap saw Miles and chucked him under the chin and said "How old?" I said "Four weeks today", and he and his wife started laughing. I said "Yes, he's quite big", but they just kept giggling and giggling until it became vaguely awkward.

???? I mean, yes, he's a fairly big baby, but I don't think he's laughably big... Most odd. And the supermarket didn't have any muscovado sugar. Oh well.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#69 of 215 Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM

I think I might have thrush. Breast tingling/pain off and on all day. Of course this happens on a Friday night and my doctor's office is closed until Monday.

#70 of 215 Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I think I might have thrush. Breast tingling/pain off and on all day. Of course this happens on a Friday night and my doctor's office is closed until Monday.

Could it be letdown pain that you're feeling? I ask because I remember noticing the tingling feeling for the first time with DD1 and not realising what it was until someone told me. Letdown can also be painful at this stage (it definitely is for me!).

#71 of 215 Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 AM

I haven't felt it until now and the kid is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Is it normal for letdown pain to take a while to materialize? It doesn't necessarily seem connected in time to my letdown (or rather, to when I start leaking).

#72 of 215 Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I haven't felt it until now and the kid is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Is it normal for letdown pain to take a while to materialize? It doesn't necessarily seem connected in time to my letdown (or rather, to when I start leaking).

It started for me around 3 weeks too. I didn't feel it all before that.

I have no idea what breast thrush feels like though, so definitely get it checked out!

#73 of 215 Old 07-16-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm sorry MaryElizabeth and Mama to a Bunch.  I hope you find strength to get through this time.

Smokering, I took my sewing machine back to the shop because of that same problem (it was new), and they pointed out that I had threaded the machine wrong on top.  Oops!  Now I try to be sure I have every hook and loop in order.  I was a returning novice, though, so I doubt that's your problem. It'd be a cheap one though!

Yes, I am a member of the sweaty and bad postured clubs.  The sweat drives me nutty.  Just as soon as I get all the stars aligned to get a shower, wash my milky bras, and feel clean and fresh again, I'll have a sweat attack, and I will be just where I started.  After having the baby, I couldn't stand up straight for two days.  It just felt totally weird.  Then, my back started bugging me.  I quickly realized it was from not using enough support while nursing.  The other day, I had to nurse while filling out a ream of paperwork in a doctor's office and my back had an awful crick in it the next day.  So, I am trying to support myself while nursing and straighten my back and shoulders when I think of it.  A chiropractic visit and massage would be heavenly right now!

My beautiful baby's baby acne is showing signs of turning into eczema.  :(  I am so sad.  Probably disproportionately so.  I hate that her perfect face is marred by an awful rash that is probably itchy, possibly painful, and is likely caused by something I am eating.  The thought of doing extensive elimination diets to cure it, etc. or possibly spending years with her suffering from it, stresses me out.  I feel like such a bad mother--first for caring so much for what her face looks like and wanting all her pictures to be beautiful and strangers to not do double takes, second for not wanting to give up ice cream and sour cream and strawberry vanilla smoothies and cheese, or whatever it is.  Well, I'm starting with milk.  We'll see!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#74 of 215 Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM

JosieAK: Aww, I'm sorry. :( We get a few comments about Miles' face too - he doesn't have eczema or anything terribly dramatic, but his eyelids are still pink from pressure marks he got while crowning, and the rest of his face can look really blotchy and red when he's hot or upset. He has a fair bit of baby acne and also a few random little red marks - one below his nostril and another above his upper lip - which might be more pressure marks, or birthmarks, or who knows what. Plus he has a few broken veins in his cheek. Sounds attractive, doesn't it? :p It's weird - it seems to come and go, and I have photos of him looking perfectly smooth and even-toned, but other times he looks like he's got the plague. It bugs me a little... and I feel guilty about it too. I think he's cute even when he's blotchy, but when strangers peer at him in the supermarket I feel like he should be looking his best!

I've been sulkily ignoring my sewing machine, but I'll attack it again today and rethread everything and hope it fixes itself. I need to make Miles a steampunk onesie! There's a steampunk steam train event on in a month, and we want to take DD because she's on a train kick at the moment, and you're supposed to dress up. DH can just wear his waistcoat and fob watch and he'll look fine, and I have a skirt and top that might do - although if my sewing machine behaves and I have time, I'd like to make some bloomers/pettipants and an underbust corset to add to the ensemble - but the kidlings don't have anything particularly steampunky to wear. So I thought I could use an existing onesie of Miles' to make a pattern for a kind of baggy, chimney-sweep-inspired romper or overalls, made out of some vaguely tweedy-looking trousers of Dad's which Mum gave me to cut up.

Not sure what I could make DD - any ideas for steampunk clothes for a three-year-old? Preferably ones that aren't too time-consuming to make? She has a pretty, old-fashioned dress she could wear in a pinch, but it's really more colonial-looking than Victorian. And I bet she'd like to dress up!

I've been having nasty letdown pain too. I'm not sure when it started - not right away. Maybe after a week? It's annoying.

I pumped yesterday for the first time ever! Used an old manual pump of Mum's - DD was fascinated. :p Not a very enjoyable or glamorous experience, and after two separate pumping sessions, switching sides multiple times per session, I had about 20 mL. Pathetic. It made me admire Miles' efficiency, at least - he must get far more than that per feed, given how much weight he's gaining. And he makes it look so easy! :p We tried giving him a bottle this morning, but he didn't really seem to get it - he got a bit of milk down, but ended up getting cross, so I put him on the breast. Any tips for getting a baby to take a bottle? We can try using the other nipple next time - Mum had two, with slightly different shapes. Oh well; if the worst comes to the worst, DH can take him round to SIL's, and she can either lend him her fancy breast-shaped bottle, or even breastfeed him herself. (I don't think she'd mind; she tandem-nurses her boys and was cool with me BFing her son while babysitting, if necessary; it never came to that, though.)

ETA: Just pumped again. I now have a grand total of.... 50ml! How much does a baby drink per feed? I you were leaving a 4-and-a-bit-week-old for, say, three hours (maybe three and a half - movie plus travel time plus maybe a quick drink to dissect the movie), how much milk would you leave? He'll hopefully be asleep for a lot of that time...

#75 of 215 Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

JosieAK - I feel for you on the eczema. DS1 had it and I ended up eliminating quite a few foods to get it to clear up. BUT on the plus side I only had to do it until he was about 6 months old. He outgrew everything. But it irritated me to no end that perfect strangers would make comments on the appearance of his skin. So I can relate to the feelings.

Well, here I am in the postpartum club finally. Today I finally felt more like myself. I went outside for the first time since the birth. The sunshine felt amazing. We even hopped in the car and had a short trip to get some food and come home. Tomorrow morning we're going for a longer drive to pick up my placenta pills.

My DS is gorgeous and snuggly and worth the Loooong wait. My DS1 just adores his little brother and spends lots of time kissing him. But it has been hard. There's times where I want to tear my hair out, my DH's hair, or my DS1's hair! He can be such a pill when I'm preoccupied with baby. I'm trying so hard to be patient with him as I know this has got to be a super hard adjustment for him. He's very much a mama's boy and he's had to spend a lot more time with daddy. DH is not a patient person overall and so that's been frustrating too.

DS seems to nurse a lot, but I'm starting to get frustrated on the breastfeeding end of things because I am not starting to see any regular poopy diapers yet. He moved meconium out like nobody's business the first few days and I was so excited about that because there were issues as far as that was concerned with DS1. Friday I noticed that the colostrum seemed to be changing to milk and by Friday night I felt engorged. So I've been waiting all day from breastmilk BM and haven't had a single poopy diaper. Of course now I'm paranoid and nervous that DS isn't getting enough. But he is going to the breast constantly. So I'm frustrated because I feel like I've been doing all the "right" things as far as breastfeeding is concerned and now I'm worried that there's a problem. I had issues with DS1 getting started with breastfeeding and it was just a horrendously awful experience, so I'm hoping not to repeat that. Perhaps I'll see some poopy diapers tomorrow and can stop worrying. But if I don't see anything tomorrow I'm going to have to try to get my hands on a pump asap and go from there.

Ooh - baby crying. Gotta run!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#76 of 215 Old 07-16-2011, 11:34 PM

Crystal, I wouldn't worry too much yet about the poopy diapers. Breastfed babies have a wide, wide variety of normal when it comes to pooping - I've read that one poop every 14 days can be OK, as long as the consistency's OK and the baby isn't in distress. So far DS is pooping WAY more than his big sister did, but they were both fine breastfeeding-wise. Does your DS have a lot of wet nappies? If so, he's probably fine... but I hope you get a reassuring poop soon anyway. :p

#77 of 215 Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 AM

DD didn't have a real poopy diaper until 6 or 7 days old. She had 1-2 mec poopies right after birth but nothing until 6 or 7 days old. Now she can go a few days before she has a significant poopy.

Doing good here. Got my nose pierced :) I need to buy a new post though because its not long enough to keep it in my nose! Even when the swelling is down it barely pokes through.

Laurelyn is doing great. We've given her a few bottles of formula here and there to give me a break. It's nice to go out for a few hours and not have to worry about her. I think I'm able to enjoy her more not feeling like I'm tied to the house (or to her) 24/7 to keep her nourished and happy. Plus Daddy LOVES his snuggle time while he feeds her. I haven't ever done this with my other 3 which I think has contributed to some bitter arguments over the years. I'm glad we're on the same page right now :)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#78 of 215 Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

Laurelyn is doing great. We've given her a few bottles of formula here and there to give me a break. It's nice to go out for a few hours and not have to worry about her. I think I'm able to enjoy her more not feeling like I'm tied to the house (or to her) 24/7 to keep her nourished and happy. Plus Daddy LOVES his snuggle time while he feeds her. I haven't ever done this with my other 3 which I think has contributed to some bitter arguments over the years. I'm glad we're on the same page right now :)

I'm so glad you're able to get out for a mommy break! :)

I'm trying to psych myself up to try giving baby a bottle too. Is it totally weird that the thought of giving a bottle makes me a little sad? I think it comes down to a (completely irrational) fear that doing so means that I'll be forced to leave her before I'm ready. Also, I hate pumping. :P

#79 of 215 Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM

i'm glad to hear there is a various timing with the ppop because that has been a concern of mine as well.

Has anyone experienced "Brick Dust" or urate crystals in thier baby's diaper? If so did increasing feedings help and how long did it take? We discovered this yesterday in DS's diaper and it initially had me very freaked out not knowing what it was. After some online research and talking to the midwife we discovered that it is brick dust which is an indication he is not getting enough hydration. I should also add that my breasts have been making the switch from Colostrum to milk as DS is only 5 days old. Now I am trying to increase my fluids and feed more frequently but I am still worried.

#80 of 215 Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Brick dust is no good.  I generally tell moms that I deal with (have dealt with this in the past a couple times) to make sure her hydration is supreme.  With the heatwave that is hitting the US (if you are here) I would make sure to drink your weight in oz plus half.  So if you weighed 140 I would recommend that you drink 210 oz at minimum each day.  Which equates to a bit over a gallon and a half.  And this is just of water alone.

For the nursing....I would have the baby at the breast non-stop. And I would be having you pump once or twice and offering that after nursing in the evening until the hydration levels out and the brick dust ceases and you get nice and curdy poos.  

Good luck and I hope all goes well and it resolves soon!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#81 of 215 Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM

I'd like to eventually be able to leave Amelia with her dad and go out by myself, but I don't think I'm there yet. I'm okay with having her around me all the time at this point. I don't want to give formula, I'd rather give expressed milk, but I think I am developing a weird phobia about pumping. I have done it a few times and it wasn't all that unpleasant, but the longer I go without doing it, the more the idea of doing it weirds me, and I do need to do it at some point! I don't think this breast pain is helping me with that sentiment. Maybe once I get this resolved I'll feel better about it. Going to call my doctor tomorrow morning.

#82 of 215 Old 07-17-2011, 11:19 PM

Well, I'm back from seeing Harry Potter! Miles was marvellous. Apparently he slept for half an hour after I left, and then gulped down all the milk I'd expressed - DH said he could have drunk more, but he didn't complain, and then he went to sleep again and slept (with a little help from DH, who sang to him whenever he started stirring) until I got home! I am immensely pleased. :) My breasts were bursting by the time, I got home, though! I picked Miles up and he barely woke up to latch on - I don't think he even noticed I'd been gone. An interesting comparison to his big sister, who was left for the first time when she was about seven months - DH and I went out for an anniversary lunch - and screamed the whole time and was clingy for days afterwards...

DD thinks feeding Miles from a bottle is the coolest thing ever, incidentally. I think she's going to bug me to pump all the time now, so she can feed him. :p (I won't, though, unless it's actually necessary. I'm with erigeron - I don't enjoy the process. It feels weird, to say nothing of unglamorous...)

#83 of 215 Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I can't think about pumping too much or it starts to seem incredibly strange to me and it weirds me out. I do feel sort of like a Jersey cow when I'm hooked up to the pump. And oddly enough, I'd much rather have 800 people in the room while I'm BFing than one person while I'm pumping. I started pumping on July 7th so I can stockpile some frozen milk for when I start back at school in about 6 weeks. So far I have 22 oz stored and my initial panic about not having enough has gone away. 22 oz is plenty for a day or two and with 6ish more weeks to pump I should be able to easily triple that amount.

I left Ezrah with my mom on Friday for about 45 minutes and it was so weird! I kept feeling like I was forgetting something important. It was rather nice not to have to haul him in and out of the 2 stores that I went to, but I felt so bad leaving him! The thought of leaving him for hours at a time to go to school makes me so sad! He's so little and squishy and I'll miss him so much. Plus, I'll be doing homework and that will require my attention as well. I think I'm going to have to schedule baby time so I can just be with him without any other interruptions.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#84 of 215 Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Hi ladies, I have been MIA for weeks now.  No real reason just lost in newborn land.  Also, I can't believe it but for the first time in about 10-11 months, I feel like a normal person again (energy wise)  I can actual keep my house clean YAY! I know DH is happy.  I guess he just thought I had turned into a slob and was never going back.  I was just so beat from the time I first found out I was pregnant to a couple weeks PP.  I just feel awesome now! 

Got a cracked nipple for some reason and worried about getting mastitis now.  Never had it or cracked nipples before so don't know what to do really.  Its only on one side, no pain or issues when feeding on her "favorite" breast.  I think the nipple that is cracked is shaped differently and she doesn't like it as much. 

Also, my ex DH sent my girls here for the weekend with a serious infestation of head lice with NO WARNING!!!  They told me they have been telling their step mom for weeks their head was itchy but she never saw anything.  I parted their hair once and it was obvious!  I keep telling myself she, having no kids of her own, may not have had experience with it and known what to look for.  I mean, if you look expecting to see something similar to fleas, you can totally overlook head lice and nits.  My biggest issue is that I have a newborn with a head FULL of long black hair and she is too young for the chemical treatments and also my DH has dreadlocks (has been growing his hair for 2 years or more) and lets face it, you can't pick nits from dreads, you may as well cut the hair.  Or at least I woulnd't have time to do anything but cut it with 6 kids one being a newborn.  I called the ex and ask him to come get them, treat them, then bring them back since they let it go so long it waas so infested, that it would require 5 or 6 hours of nit picking and such to deal with it and with a newborn who wont let me put her down what was I to do.  He basically told me, I am their mother, its my problem, deal with it.  Yep, gotta love ex's.  Oh that was after telling me they couldn't possibly have it and if they did, they got it from me or my mother who babysat them one day a week before.  They had been at their dads for 2 weeks, no one in my house had it (I immediately panicked and checked everyone thoroughly) and my mother so not from us, but who cares?  Why start pointing fingers?  I didnt ask how they got it I am trying to just deal with it first.  But I had to call my brother, SIL and mom to come help.  They were only over for the weekend then back to him and though we did it by hand for hours and resorted to chemical treatments (not a fan but it was so bad) and would you believe it still did n't get rid of them all the way.  He SAYS they are gone now but sscared for this weekend when they come back to me now. 

Oh, also, finally broke down and DTD with DH last night.  Last time I had to wait 8 weeks (bleeding lasted that long) but things felt good now and I just felt ready, except that I was nervous about discomfort and what to do with a co-sleeping baby???

Does anyone else have this issue?  I have co-slept to some extent with all of my kids but the others at least let me get them to sleep then ease them into a side car co-sleeper or bassinet but not this lil mama.  She can tell if I even move away from her!  Also, I know some folks are cool with getting cozy with just moving baby to other side of bed but I can't even consider that as I tried to move her over and get some space one night and apparently, our mattress is bowed to the center so she rolls downhill towards me if I move away.  I can't escape her!  Haha.  Last night, we first tried bringing her papasan swing into the room but she wont sleep on her back (side and tummy only) so she wasn't having it and onoy will do swing for 5 mins tops.  Finally she passed out and I resorted to a pallet on the floor where she could lay on her tummy and she actually slept for 20 mins.  I have to have a better game plan next time.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#85 of 215 Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Ah yes: birth control, one of the side effects of cosleeping. :p I suspect that'll be less of an issue this time round, as Miles is a way better sleeper than DD. She was like your baby - she'd glue herself to my side. Even now when we nap together, she'll be all squished up beside me, and if I shift her over a bit to get some space, she'll wiggle back and adhere to my side. Even when she was totally unconscious. It's quite impressive, really. :p

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but DH and I always shower together, usually while DD watches Pingu or something on YouTube. We didn't want to give up the habit when Miles was born, so we swaddle him and chuck him on a beanbag in the bathroom. We're generally just, y'know, cleaning ourselves, but if you wanted to use the time for illicit purposes, it might work! The white noise of the shower calms Miles down and he doesn't usually object, as long as we don't take too long. But then, he's a pretty chillaxed baby.

We had a great day today. :) We all piled into the van with my parents and sisters, and went to a play farm. It was about an hour out of our city, through lovely hobbity countryside. And the farm was awesome! They had llamas, alpacas, mini horses, mini goats, sheep, a pig, ducks, mini donkeys, chickens, shih tzus (er, spelling?) and axolotls; and you could feed and pat most of them. You could even wander around a paddock full of very polite alpacas. DD LOVED it - I'll have to post some pictures. :) I thought she'd be too scared to pat anything, but she really warmed up to it and was tromping around in her boots with a pet food scoop in one hand, looking like a genuine little farm girl (which she, uh, isn't). We had a picnic lunch, and got an ice cream afterwards.

Best of all:

-Miles only cried once, when he was first put into his car seat (he likes cars, but only when they're moving). The rest of the time he chilled in the mei tai on DH's back, had a wee sip of milks, and got held by various aunts. I'm still pinching myself about having a low-maintenance baby!

-DH actually enjoyed himself and wasn't bored, which cannot be said of him on many outings with my family

-DD was sweet and good, and didn't even complain about leaving... although I suspect it helped that she overheard us talking about getting ice creams on the way home. The poor kid threw up on the way, but she was very good about it (and, if you'll forgive the information, it was mostly apple. Coulda been worse...)

Anyone want to give me some magazine article writing ideas? I write for a quarterly pregnancy-to-five-years-old parenting magazine, and I've exhausted most of the "obvious" AP topics - cosleeping, child-led weaning, bonding and so on. I need some fresh ideas. Plus, I really should kick my freelancing up a notch and start, well, actually doing it, :p It's really not a good time tp be pitching to magazines as a freelancer, but hey, we need the money, and I have spare time and essentially no other saleable skills. :p So. Brilliant ideas? Poor DD has been hearing "We don't have much money" a lot recently, and she doesn't get it - she keeps saying "We have to buy some more!", and neither DH nor I can satisfactorily explain to her how it all works. (Hmm, there's a thought. Maybe I could write an article about dealing with lack of funds and kids?)

#86 of 215 Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 AM

Smokering, I wonder if you could write something more crafty-oriented? You do so much sewing and baking for your family. Maybe you could talk about economizing by doing these things (if they do in fact economize), or getting kids involved in projects with you?

Sharita, I can't believe that your ex and his new wife did that! How sucky of them to foist the problem off on you... and how uncomfortable for your poor daughters! I hope they are doing better now at least.

Well, I managed to put my psychological aversion to pumping on pause, at least. Amelia was doing that "I'm going to nurse for 30 seconds and then latch off and fidget" thing, after cluster-feeding for hours, so I figured I'd give pumping a whirl. Initially I was getting NOTHING, and angsting out about whether my pump didn't work properly, whether I was cursed to not be able to pump for my child, whether my body needed more suction, etc. etc.... then realized I had forgotten a part to the pump. Whoops. Once I got it all assembled properly, I pumped 3 oz on one side--this was after she had fed a little on that side, and I'm sure I would have gotten more but she wanted to nurse again so I stopped. Not quite talented enough yet for the "feed one side, pump the other" thing. But now I feel a little better. I think I just need to keep doing it before my mind builds it up to be this huge enormous deal. And I guess if I do turn out to have thrush I'll just figure out then what to do with this batch of milk. My doctor doesn't seem to think I necessarily have thrush, but she wasn't sure from my description what it was, so we're just waiting and seeing at the moment. 

#87 of 215 Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Lice is the worst. :(  So sorry you're dealing with that.

I can't believe I can say this, but I did leave Lydia for several hours to go to a work related banquet with DH.  It was NOT worth it, but it was good to feel like a human for a couple of hours.  I had my first experience with getting NO milk while pumping.  My milk absolutely refused to let down in a restroom stall.  I had to take my dress OFF because it was not breastfeeding or pumping friendly.  Uh-uh.  Not happening.  On the way home, I pumped 3+ oz off of one breast. 

I actually like pumping. I just have a little manual pump.  It feels good to have a freezer stash, I like SEEING what my baby eats, I like knowing how much milk I make.  And, when I'm very full or engorged, it's a relief.  Usually feeding Lydia when I'm that full leads to a lot of gulping, swallowing air, pulling off and having milk go everywhere, and so on.  I don't pump often, though, I'm basically trying to maintain a supply, not build it.

Well, with the eczema thing (and some fussiness), the dairy free, gluten free diet seems to be going pretty well.  I have forgotten how to eat this way so I spend a portion of the day hungrily browsing the cupboards as all of my favorite comfort foods are out, so I'm looking for new ones.  I've only given a day or so to this attempt and the eczema comes and goes, so it's too early to say, but so far it SEEMS like things are improving.  I may have to eliminate more though.  Corn (and it's products) is in my brain right now. :(  I wish food wasn't such a BIG thing.  It is so emotional and social.  But I have found that I generally feel better when I have moved away from it's pull, the "I've gotta have chocolate NOW" kind of thing.  So I'm waiting for that to kick in.

Does anyone else have a baby that hates the car/car seats?

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#88 of 215 Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM

3 ounces off one side in one session? That's impressive! According to kellymom 1/2 to 2 ounces per session (both sides) is normal... which was a relief to read, because I took 3 pumping sessions to get 3 ounces and thought I must be defective. :p I think I might try to build up a small freezer stash after all - I had to make an emergency supermarket trip last night and Miles was sleeping, so DH said to leave him; but of course when I got back DH was pacing around the living room with a sad baby! He wasn't starving or anything, but a wee spot of pumped milk might have cheered him up. And I like the idea of being able to pop out on errands without him occasionally - mostly because his car seat is such a pain to deal with! Plus, DD would probably like one-on-one errands with me.

Doesn't sound very AP, does it?! But he really doesn't seem to care (as long as milk's available, that is); and I'd be leaving him with DH, 'cause he works from home, so I'm going to refuse to feel guilty about it. He breastfeeds a zillion times a day, cosleeps and is held whenever he wants it, so... booyah. Anyway, I wouldn't want to leave him for long periods of time... I'd miss him. I missed him during Harry Potter, actually... but then, I didn't find it as engaging as it should've been. :p

Well, my inlaws are coming over in a few hours for FIL's birthday afternoon tea... which I forgot all about. I asked DH this morning if I'd forgotten something that was happening today, and he said no... only to remind me at about 11:30 that they were coming at 3:30 and I needed to make a birthday cake. So. The first layer is in the oven, but I need to clean the house. And Miles is crying for no apparent reason. And DH is hosting his first-ever webinar in 22 minutes, so he can't help. Arrgh. Sleep, child.

Momsteader likes this.

#89 of 215 Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM

My mother is leaving in 24 hours, after being here for just over a month. I'm feeling a little blue about it, mostly because I feel like I haven't had any quality time with her while she's been here. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting - of course I've had my hands full! I still feel guilty about it though. I'll miss her.

DD1 & DH still have another 2 weeks or so before they go back to work and preschool, respectively. I'm so ready to get back into a more normal routine. I feel very off-kilter at the moment. There's always someone in the house, which feels rather overwhelming for an uber-introvert like me. Not that it hasn't been fun, I'm just looking forward to a bit of quiet time.

What else? I finally got around to ordering a baby carrier. I can't wait for it to get here. I want to have my hands free again!

#90 of 215 Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

OMG Sharita you poor thing! Lice is an absolute NIGHTMARE!!! I cannot believe your ex did that to you, what a jerk. I really hope you got it all gone and that you are done dealing with it. Yuck.

Josie, I'm thinking that I might be following in your footsteps and cutting out dairy.  bawling.gif   I think that Ezrah may have eczema as well. I've never had a kiddo that had it, so I really have no idea what it looks like. But he has little rashy patches all over him that look like baby acne, but are on his arms, legs, and trunk. If I have to cut dairy out I'm pretty sure I'll starve to death. There is NO WAY I could do gluten free because then I really would starve.

On happier news, my car is fixed!! It was doing this thing where the oil pressure would drop to 0 and it would die. But there was plenty of oil in the car and it wasn't overheating. Turns out there is a little oil pressure sensor/switch that was old and not working. My neighbor across the street fixed it for me yesterday (he had to jack my car up and put these metal things under it so he could roll under the car to reach where the sensor is) and now it works! I made him and his family dinner last night since I can't pay him, not that he would take it anyway, and he saved my hide. I can't pay a mechanic since I'm totally broke and I can't survive without a car either.

Now I'm off to campus to get some stuff from the bookstore, sign some scholarship paperwork, and get a Hep B immunization and my TB test. Fun fun!  (Even more fun hauling 3 kids around campus in 100 degree heat)

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page