July Postpartum Chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 215 Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry Josie...that's what I get for nak and not proof reading back...I was referring to true FOOD allergies being rare! That sensitivities are more common. Most of our testing even from allergists are horribly inaccurate on food allergies. Other allergies...I think are pretty common. What I was trying to say was that don't discount contact irritation for eczema even if it's in places that aren't in direct contact.  I haven't read GAPS...will look at it :)

Smokering, darnnit! I hate it when docs are like that!! Do you guys have things like Nurse Practioners you can see there? I find them 'generally' to be less fussy about stuff and going to a general practice rather than a pediatrician, but you can find asses like that no matter what. Are the red marks like 'stork bites' or pressure marks? I never thought of those as 'birthmarks'. My kiddos have all had them and I was always told they were from delivery and would fade in the first few months and just flush up when they get to really crying, and be gone pretty much by 2. And that's how it's been w/ the other kiddos too.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#122 of 215 Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Smokering - you poor thing. That doctor was a major jerk! We moms have enough to worry about without some lame doctor trying to make us feel terrible for our choices. Ugh!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#123 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

CrunchyClark - yeah, stork bites. Apparently they're a type of birthmark, not from delivery (the doctor was very scornful of midwives who say they're pressure marks, which is what my MW initially said about the marks on his eyelids); I can't remember the official name.

We have Plunket here, a kind of Well Child-type organisation, but I don't like them - very naggy about cosleeping, vaxing etc. I could always just take him to a GP, but I usually avoid doctors altogether when I can. I do need to take DD to get her ears checked, though... guess I'll just choose a GP and practice saying "I'm not here to discuss that, we came to get her ears looked at".

In other news, Mum finished my wedding quilt today! When DH and I got married we put out squares of quilting cotton at the reception for people to sign, and then Mum embroidered over the signatures and pieced the squares together into a quilt. It was meant to take a little less than four and a half years, but hey. :p It's very nice, and cheered me up a bit after the doctor. One of the couples who signed it is no longer a couple, though... and I imagine it'll be weird to look at it in twenty years' time, when all the kids have grown up and the old people have died and stuff. Odd thought.

Had my 16-year-old sister over for dinner tonight, to watch The Matrix, which she'd never seen. Made me feel old! I remember the film blowing my tiny mind when it came out... now it's like "Yeah, virtual reality, so what?" Sister was underwhelmed. :p Oh well, the cinematography's still cool. And best of all, Mum watched DD, who's been an absolute horror recently, and Miles slept gorgeously on my knee for the whole movie, and it was blissfully silent. It's a real treat to watch a movie without having to pause it every two minutes to make DD eat some more dinner or stop her jumping on the couch or hitting our flatmate or making Miles cry...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#124 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS1 had stork bites and so does my new little man. I don't really remember when the ones on the face faded with DS1, but they did. He has one on the back of his neck (same as me) that seems here to stay!

Thanks for all of the weighing suggestions. We're up by 3 oz from yesterday. I'm going to continue to monitor for a bit so that I can be sure the weight gain continues. I'm still not sure what happened and why we had the weight loss.  I have wondered if my milk supply is a bit sluggish in the beginning. I have hypothyroidism and I know that can cause milk supply issues. I feel like the milk has been flowing a bit more freely the past few days, so maybe that's all it was. So he's 2 weeks and a day old and at 9 lbs he's a bit past his birth weight, so hopefully we'll be in the clear.

We're going to attempt to see Harry Potter later today. It's funny because HP - Order of the Phoenix was DS1's first movie (he was a couple of weeks old). and this HP will be DS2's first movie! I'm a bit nervous though because DS2 is a screamo cryer. DS1 always had a warm up sound and was easily satisfied by nursing. DS2 winds up his mouth silently and then out comes very loud screamo crying that is not always easily satisfied by nursing. He can be a bit fussy even while nursing. So I'm hoping we time it right and he sleeps through the movie. That's what happened when we went with DS1 - he slept through the whole thing - it was awesome!

Anyways, we're off to the courthouse soon to get little man's birth certificate. Last time we went the person who knew how to do a birth certificate for home birth wasn't there, so we were told to come back today. I hope this person's here today because I'd really like to get this taken care of!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#125 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

Holly, I'm sure true allergies are rare, but they are definitely becoming less so!  Have you looked into the GAPS diet theory?  It really makes sense to me.

Yay for happy babies!  Lydia is a little more difficult than Clara was, but she is so sweet, so snuggly, and so happy when she feels good, that I know once we get beyond this, it is going to be a lot of fun.  People keep saying she has a temper.  That really bugs me since I think she is screaming with stomach pain, not being demanding.  But I guess it could be the case. I try not to be a "how dare you say something negative about my child, my child is perfect" type mom.  But she is only six weeks old!  Let's not be charting her character yet!

It bugs me when people say things like that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

ARRGH! Just got back from the visiting the damn smarmy GIT of a doctor, who got all up in my face about declining the vitamin K shot for Miles as a newborn, which was in NO WAY relevant to what I went in for, and none of his freaking business anyway! I thought I was just there for a dermatology consult, and he asked me a few introductory questions about Miles' name and when he was born, but then he asked if I'd had the vitamin K and I said no, and he immediately said "Do you go driving without a seatbelt?" and started this whole spiel about how he did it with his children and how terrible things happen in third world countries, and back in the day parents didn't get a choice about vitamin K, which apparently in his view was a good thing. Gah! I should have ripped him a new one, but being lame and pathetic the only thing I could summon up was "I thought I was just here for his skin?", whereupon he laughed and told me in a vomitingly paternal tone that I'd "get the whole deal"... which apparently consisted of him looking at Miles and saying things like "No extra toes or fingers; penis appears normal". WELL, NO DUH. You don't think my midwife checked for extra toes, or that I, his mother, might have noticed them during the six weeks following his birth?

This is why I hate going to the doctor. Why do they feel it's their duty and pleasure to harangue me about irrelevant-to-the-diagnosis medical decisions on my part? It's like the doctor at the hospital when I had DD, who (moments after giving me a horrible pelvic exam) felt the need to scold me for not having had a cervical smear. I was about to go into induced labour for pre-eclampsia, and he felt it was the right time. Eugh. This doctor today even admitted that Miles was "out of the danger zone" for the 1 in 10,000 chance of having bleeding from lack of a vitamin K shot, and that it depended on other factors like maternal nutrition (which he hadn't asked me about)... so WHY BRING IT UP? Thank goodness vaccination didn't come up...

Pardon my ranting. For some reason he really got to me. My midwife will be getting an earful. :p

ETA: Oh yeah, forgot to say. :p Apparently the little red marks on Miles' eyelids and a few other places are birthmarks, but very common ones and will probably fade over the next few years. And he said the acne may or may not be turning into eczema. He pooh-poohed the idea that cutting out foods could cure it - he said people inherit the tendency to be allergic to something (ie. anything), and people with that tendency would always find something to be allergic to, so even if he was allergic to dairy and I cut it out, he'd just find something else to be allergic to and it would come back. I'm not sure I believe that, but anyway, hopefully it is just acne and will go away... we'll see. Anyway, I'm certainly not going back to him.

How kind of him to mansplain it for you, you silly naive young lady! orngtongue.gif

Seriously though, what a tool. I don't blame you for not calling him out on it in the moment. When someone behaves that way, you just stand there in shock, and by the time you've processed what's happened, it's too late to say anything.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#126 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Smokering the dr visit description you had just makes me nuts. BTDT before. 

Happy news on the gain Crystal!

Everyone of mine had stork bites at birth, most of my older ones have faded, but the littler ones haven't yet.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#127 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks for understanding, people! My flatmate asked how the doctor visit went, and when I told him he just looked blank and was all "So? Vitamin K sounds like a good thing to do". I was all "That's not the point!", but he didn't really see it. Oh well.

Anyone else depressed? I've been an on-again-off-again mess for the past few weeks. It sucks. :(

#128 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

I'm paying the price for drinking too much coffee today. 2.20am and baby is still not settling.

Are you guys having any luck with baby wearing? This baby hates the Mei Tai. I put her in the "froggy" position and she struggles and cries. Am I doing this wrong?

I was talking to DH today and it turns out Tourette's runs in his family. So we have ADHD on my side of the family, Tourette's and Asperger's on DH's side, and severe depression and alcoholism on both. Our kids are screwed. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Anyone else depressed? I've been an on-again-off-again mess for the past few weeks. It sucks. :(

Mildly, but not more than usual.

Are you taking anything for it?

#129 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by froggying her legs and if it's the same thing I think of when I think of it. When I wear Amelia in the Mei Tai, it comes between her legs and she is ultimately almost doing a split. It works well for us--she fusses sometimes, but most of the time she naps contentedly. My husband also likes wearing her. I have a wrap carrier that I've only used a couple of times, because it was a pain to finagle with her hip harness, but after she gets out of the harness and after the weather is a little cooler, I'll give that one another go. I'm hoping it'll be easier on my shoulders than the Mei Tai, which is better than I thought it would be but does make my shoulders hurt after a while.

In my neverending quest to see if I can get the cloth diapers to work better for us, I started using the BumGenius pockets like covers instead--trifolding a prefold and plopping it in the middle, rather than stuffing the diaper with it. This may or may not work better than stuffing the pocket. Today was a good day for us--went to the breastfeeding support group in the morning, and then got together with some friends in the evening. Also, we've started giving Amelia simethicone after each feeding, which does seem to be helping with her gas and thus cutting down on her crying in pain.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#130 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Erigeron I have been having pretty good luck with the Simethicone too.

Snowflake, my oldest has Tourette's and Asperger's. He's the coolest kid out there ;) Has such a neat perspective on things and a really sarcastic, dry sense of humor.  It's not always a bad thing, just different, so don't stress about it (doesn't sound like you are...but just in case!).

And 'froggy' position is how I put Bodhi into the Ergo (without the infant insert). I usually have a 'shoosh' and bauble him a bit to get him to settle once he's in, but then he loves it!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

#131 of 215 Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I was talking to DH today and it turns out Tourette's runs in his family. So we have ADHD on my side of the family, Tourette's and Asperger's on DH's side, and severe depression and alcoholism on both. Our kids are screwed.

Kudos! Yeah, I've always felt pretty good about the fact that DH's side and mine both have low cancer rates... but we make up for it with diabetes, Asperger's (both sides) and autism (mine), depression, asthma, anxiety issues, and the occasional killing of ourselves and (regrettably) others. So our kids are likely to be bright, maladjusted and not to be trusted around sharp implements. And we have unfortunate noses. Why did we breed again?

Quote:

Are you taking anything for it?

Placenta capsules, although I've been forgetting a bit, which might not help. I'm not sure how much good it's doing, though... DH kinda burnt it a bit when dehydrating it. That man can't be trusted in the kitchen. :p So I'm quite possibly just ingesting little capsules of carbon. I have a few of DD's old placenta capsules mixed in with the new ones, but there weren't many left...

I'm kind of anti-antidepressants - not for other people, I just don't think I could bring myself to take them, what with the list of side effects and all... plus I'm breastfeeding... I'd like to try an ioniser or light therapy, but we can't afford the gizmos right now. I do need to start exercising more.

Quote:

Are you guys having any luck with baby wearing? This baby hates the Mei Tai. I put her in the "froggy" position and she struggles and cries. Am I doing this wrong?

Miles takes a minute or two to settle into the mei tai, but he likes it. We were putting him in it sort of furled up at first, but then he got too big - it looked like he was going to fall right out the top, because so much of him was sticking out. So today we stuck one of his legs out each side. It looked rather awkward, but he went right to sleep, so..? Is it likely to damage his legs or anything if we do that? I need to make a bigger mei tai soon anyway - darn huge baby - but this would give us a few more weeks.

I only use the mei tai when we go for walks, though. Not just all day, every day around the house like some mamas. For one thing I can't figure out how to let him nurse in it - I don't think my breasts are unusually low-slung, and I have a long torso, but it's still just not anatomically possible! - and besides, I'm kind of intimidated by getting him in and out. It has such long ties, and I'm vaguely scared of it... which is ridiculous, but hey. It usually seems simpler just to carry him, and dump him in the bean bag when I need two hands or if he's going to sleep.

ETA: Oops. Today I was pitching a magazine article idea to various wedding magazines, and managed to get my titles mixed up, offering the editor of Magazine A an article for Magazine B, as she rather acidly pointed out upon responding. I don't dare to look to see if I called Magazine B Magazine A in the other email. Oh well... she said she'd bring my article idea up at the next editorial meeting, so that's something.

#132 of 215 Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM

Lotus hates the sling but likes the wrap.  We have had that heat wave so I have been trying to avoid wearing her and just carry her. She sleeps on my chest so we have had to crank up the AC to make it confortable.

My oldest has Tourettes, OCD and Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum and she lives on her own and does just fine.  No meds BTW either.  She has some quirks but we just ignore them and realize they are temp. for the moment and ride them out. My 6 yr. old has bipolar Disorder and that is a whole other ball game.  Makes for a very busy day.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#133 of 215 Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokering View PostSo today we stuck one of his legs out each side. It looked rather awkward, but he went right to sleep, so..? Is it likely to damage his legs or anything if we do that?

I wouldn't imagine so because that position with the hips splayed out is how they have Amelia harnessed so that she does NOT get further hip damage. They told us it was fine to wear her as long as we're keeping her in that position. If you were to lay the baby on his back and press one knee to each side, that's the optimum position for his hips, so a position that manages that is fine. Whether his legs are bent at the knee, or how much, doesn't make much difference IMO so long as he's comfortable. (Babies are so flexible! I sure can't do that kind of split!)

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#134 of 215 Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Where can I get one of those babies that sleeps all the time and anywhere?? My poor Finn has had terrible gas which has made his many wakings during the night even worse. I don't know what else to do. I think I am going to have to resort to some gas drops instead of just gripe water :( I can't stand to see him in pain. I thought at first it was a lactose intolerance or irritation, but it happens so randomly that I can't figure it out. Here's to me staying up at all hours patting my baby on the back! yaaaaay!

Any tricks to getting a babe to sleep in longer increments at night?? The best I have gotten is 4 hours after him staying up practically all day--- not worth it! Poor thing was EXHAUSTED.

How is everyone doing with sleep and nursing? Am I the only one who's feeling the loneliness of being at home alone with 2 babies all day, every day?

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#135 of 215 Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM

MaryElizabeth--try Simethicone drops! We have the brand "Little Tummys" and it seems to work really well for the gas! Have you tried letting him sleep on his tummy? I know it's not supposed to be okay, but my kiddos never could sleep very long on their backs or sides, but on the tummy they crash out nicely. I follow all the other 'rules' like keeping no bedding/pillows around them on the bed, and feel like it's still a safe option for them--especially past the tiny newborn stage when can move themselves around a little and lift/turn head if they need to. My kids as teens are still tummy sleepers!  And in fact, second babe was in the NICU for a month and they even had him tummy sleep there, because they figured out he couldn't sleep any other way and he needed to sleep to heal. Otherwise, he had to be sedated to sleep which wasn't good!

Home with babies can feel so isolating! Can you get out on a walk? or to the library or something?  I'm not feeling it this time, because we're really rural and I'd gotten used to being always 'home' anyway and pretty much homebodies anyway.  But, my daily walk to the post office is always nice to get some fresh air and usually at least say 'hi' to a few people who want to check out the baby on the way there/back.

#136 of 215 Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Crunchy-- Thanks for the tips! :) Yes, He sleeps on his tummy and/or side. I think that I just make babies who like to only take little naps until they are older. Oh well :(

I definitely am going to look for the Little Tummies!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#137 of 215 Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 AM

I finally managed to get DD into the Mei Tai comfortably. The only thing is that I can't quite work out breastfeeding in it. Her head is supposed to be way higher than my boobs are. shrug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

My oldest has Tourettes, OCD and Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum and she lives on her own and does just fine.  No meds BTW either.  She has some quirks but we just ignore them and realize they are temp. for the moment and ride them out. My 6 yr. old has bipolar Disorder and that is a whole other ball game.  Makes for a very busy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post

Snowflake, my oldest has Tourette's and Asperger's. He's the coolest kid out there ;) Has such a neat perspective on things and a really sarcastic, dry sense of humor.  It's not always a bad thing, just different, so don't stress about it (doesn't sound like you are...but just in case!).

I just realised that "Our kids are screwed." could be taken as really rude and offensive. footinmouth.gif  I totally didn't mean it that way! I'm just trying to keep a sense of humour about it, seeing as it's fairly inevitable that our kids will end up with at least one or two things on the list. It'll be interesting, that's for sure!

I'm signing up for my first psychology college course. biggrinbounce.gif It's only a few credits worth, about 12 hours of work per week, studying online. I'm looking forward to getting some intellectual stimulation for a change. My brain has been turning to mush since the baby was born.

DD1 goes back to preschool on Tuesday, after 5 weeks of summer holiday. I have to admit that I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not so sure she is. :( She's recently started being really resistant to going, and I'm not sure why. Her teachers are lovely and she's friends with everybody. I suspect she gets a little bored there. They spend most of their time playing outside, and DD is the type of kid who'd rather be inside reading books or doing craft activities. She's also one of the oldest in her group, which doesn't help. Now that I'm no longer working I can cut her hours down to part-time. I hope that makes the difference. I really need her to go for at least a few hours a day, both so I can get my schoolwork done, and also for my sanity!

#138 of 215 Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Well, today sucked. irked.gif I was hooked up to the milking machine and my husband ended up cleaning up an epic poop blowout all by himself. (I got close to 6 oz off one side and I'm not really even happy about it because I'm so frustrated about all this other stuff!) This put him in a lousy mood and as I am an emotional sponge, I absorb the moods of those around me and feel helpless, ineffectual, and sad myself when I can't do anything to resolve them. He also chose this time to dump on me that the dryer smells like a wet dog and it's been annoying him for the past 3 weeks. So we line-dried all the diapers; there is another load that needs to be done but there isn't any room on the line so we get to choose between either running them through the dryer with its smell or just waiting, and almost every diaper in the house is either on the line or waiting to be washed right now. We can use disposables on the baby, but that doesn't help with the need to also have clean cloth diapers to use as burp cloths, changing cloths, to soak up breastmilk so I don't drench myself and the baby when feeding her, and what have you. Also, I emailed my boss 2 weeks ago asking whether I can work a certain schedule when I go back to work, and he emailed me back today saying we'd look into it closer to the time I go back. Given the way that pharmacist scheduling tends to work, this isn't unreasonable on his part and I think he will try to accommodate me, but now I don't know whether I'll actually need a sitter or not or what days I'll need one, which makes it difficult to try to find one. That, too, is a process I'm not looking forward to. I don't even really want to leave my baby with my mother; how am I supposed to find a stranger to take care of her?

#139 of 215 Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Hugs, erigeron.  I don't have answers for you, but I have definitely had moments like that.  I hope things resolve for you and you find peace.

For the fussy babies, my midwife recommended baby probiotics.  So I went and got some dairy free baby strain probiotics.  We will see how it goes.  Really things have been pretty good the last few days. Maybe the dairy free is working, or maybe she's maturing.  We'll see.

So I went to my last midwife appointment yesterday.  I left DD1 with my mother so I could actually think while I was talking to my midwife. It was good closure.  I will miss talking with her and working with her.  She is delighted that I had the birth I needed after my first birth was so out of my control (even though she didn't make it in time and it made for a slightly more stressful situation for her).  She helped me understand why I might have bled more than usual (since I did the whole birth on my own strength, I was kinda done once I got the baby out), but how this wasn't necessarily going to happen again.  We talked about my blue baby (probably because she came so quickly).  But anyway, it was good.  Lydia is 7 weeks today and weighed 12 lbs 7 oz.  I lost 42 lbs. (10 to go!)  Everything is going pretty well!

Momsteader likes this.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#140 of 215 Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM

I was thinking about probiotics too.... Any brand recommendations? All the sudden his poop is green and peanut butter like.... It's horrible and only comes once a day and believe me.... It's a production.

#141 of 215 Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Euuuuggh, not a fun morning. Took DD to the doctor for an infected toe and to see if her hearing was off - she's being saying "What?" a lot. DD was very excited to go to the doctor, until we got there... whereupon she kicked and screamed and had to be forcibly restrained before the doctor could look (for about half a second) into each ear. I had to get a nurse to hold Miles so I could hold DD... although she was a lovely nurse and said it was a treat, which made me feel a bit better. Heaven help us all if DD ever needs a blood test! And one day, I really will have to take her to the dentist... won't that be a fun day.

Then I had to have a blood draw, and nearly fainted in the middle of it (I usually lie down, but the room with the bed was occupied, and I foolishly thought I'd be fine); so the lady quickly whipped the needle out and spent the next five minutes having a discussion with the other tech about whether there was enough blood or not. They eventually decided there probably was, but I might need to come back. And oddly, the form from my MW said they were checking for zinc levels, but they were meant to be checking for iron! So, grrr.

And then there was a whole parking/carseat debacle that took forever and sapped my will to live. And now, here I am, sitting on the couch still feeling like I might faint at any moment. DD is explaining to DH that she wasn't bad at the doctor's, "just sad". She did have just enough clueiness not to whine about not getting a treat afterwards, though. But I expect another battle when it comes to administering the antibiotics. (Side note, don't let your three-year-old cut her own toenails. It doesn't end well.)

On a happier note, I went to a food show the other day and it was AWESOME! I love food, I really do. :p Miles chilled in the mei tai for practically the whole day and was absurdly good; DD stayed home with DH, and I went with a couple of friends. I bought a ridiculous quantity of fancy food, including freeze-dried raspberry powder, these enormous olives, some multicoloured pasta shaped like hearts and stars and (I kid you not) St Paul's Cathedral, biltong and fudge for DH, Xylitol lollies for DD's teeth, vanilla syrup, Russian dumplings... I think I could be quite happy running a gourmet grocery.

#142 of 215 Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Mary Elizabeth, I'm sorry. :(  I would suggest going to a health food store and getting something in their refrigerator section that is designed for little ones.  I am sorry I'm not much help.  I am trying to figure this out too.  I have two now, Garden of Life Raw Probiotics KIDS (which is supposed to be appropriate from 3 months up) and Solaray Baby Life (which only contains the Bifidobacterium Infantis--apparently supposed to be prevalent in the guts of breastfeeding babies).  I am giving both to my 2 year old (since she had a bout of antibiotics after we finished breastfeeding) and I may consider giving both to my almost 2 month old.  We'll see.  Right now she's only getting the baby one.  Just a thought, MaryElizabeth, because your babe was born via C-section, you might need to be a little more aggressive with the probiotics since he didn't come in contact with your nether regions at birth.  The theory is that babies are totally sterile in the womb and are introduced to their mother's gut flora at birth.  If he wasn't, than some not fun bacteria might have set up residence instead. (Sorry if you know all this already).  Breastfeeding probably does him a world of good, but he might be missing some of the key bacteria needed to digest milk or gluten etc.  You might want to really promote some good probiotic foods as well in your own diet (fermented pickles, saurkraut, kefir, etc.).  Anyway, I am NOT a medical professional, but I've been reading this a lot lately.  I hope you find some good answers soon!  BTW, you might want to research the GAPS diet too.

Smokering, sorry about the headache with your daughter!  That is hard.  I think there is a measure of figuring out the balance of having two kids in the family, for EVERYONE.  Things that seemed appropriate for DD1, now seem unbearably childish. It's hard to have patience with things that I just took in stride pre-Lydia.  I am trying so hard not to show it, though, and share the hugs and cuddles equally.  DD bit Lydia on the hand yesterday.  It was so awful.  Not that she bit very hard, just left red marks, not teeth marks, but Lydia went rigid and turned purple with pain and fear and rage.  I certainly hope that is the last event of its kind, but I have an awful feeling that the adventure of parenting two is going to get more challenging from here.

Lydia is getting sweeter by the day, though.  She smiles more and more and almost laughs when I make faces at her.  She soothes more quickly by nursing and bouncing and snuggles into me at nights.  I feel bad for DD when everyone but her is in the same room/bed.  I know we ALL sleep better that way though.  Her face is clear 90% of the time and the few spots that she does get come and go quickly.  She is getting some cradle cap on her scalp and eyebrows, but I'm hoping that with the more serious diet restrictions we will be starting too, that will just go away on its own.  I feel blessed to have found such a doable solution.  At one point, giving up dairy would have been the worst thing in the world, but after giving up dairy, gluten, and everything else last summer on an allergy elimination diet, this seems like no big deal.  It is MUCH preferable to a miserable baby.  Speaking of which, I think someone is hungry now. :)

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#143 of 215 Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Yay - I figured out what to make my MW for a thankyou gift! She tends to call at unexpected times and say "I'll pop round in ten minutes, we're in this part of town", so I didn't want to bake anything that'd go stale if she were a day late. For my previous MW I baked up a big basket of goodies, but that didn't seem feasible. So I thought "Well, fudge keeps", and was making up a batch of that when I remembered the fudge-centred truffles I used to make for Christmas gifts. So I'm gonna do that. DD can help me dip the fudge balls in chocolate, and I can put chopped hazelnuts on some and drizzle white chocolate on others and sprinkle a touch of gold powder on the rest (my secret weapon for making me look like an awesome chocolatier - I recommend it!), and pop them in an egg carton in mini-muffin liners to gift 'em. They keep in the fridge for a few days quite happily. So, that's sorted out! If I have enough I'll package up a few for the backup and trainee midwives too.

JosieAK: Yipes! That would have been upsetting. Was it a malicious bite, or just one of those toddler "I'm gonna bite that hand!" moments? I don't think DD has ever hurt Miles out of malice, but she's occasionally started smacking him on the head for no apparent reason. And she does this thing we call "squeaking", which is squeezing us - usually on the earlobe or nose - and saying "Squeaky squeaky!" It's kind of cute, but I do end up saying "Don't squeak Miles' ears!" a lot, because occasionally she'll get carried away and squeeze with all her might. And then there's the "Don't pat him while he's sleeping" issue, to which she always responds indignantly "But I HAVE to pat him, he's SQUISHY!" I can't blame her too much for that; I feel the same way sometimes; but at least I pat him gently and don't wake him up!

Miles doesn't exactly laugh, but sometimes he sort of creaks when he smiles. I guess that could be a proto-laugh of sorts...

DD's now on antibiotics for the first time ever - I'll have to start the probiotics thing too, I guess. Is it worth her taking them while she's on the abx, or do I wait until they're finished? I mean, any good flora she ingests via yoghurt will be killed off on a thrice-daily basis. Should I try to sneak her a bit of breastmilk as well?

I'm in a revamp-my-life mood at the moment. Driving DH nuts, trying to get him to write down what he wants out of work and family life, and persuading him to agree to 30-minute cleaning blitzes every day, and earlier bedtimes for the kidlings, and exercise, and making him number his Love Languages in order (yep, not kidding...) I'm hoping I'll be less depressed if we actually get out of the house on a regular basis, spend more quality time with DD and all that jazz. Plus, I want some guaranteed alone time to write - fiction and non-fiction (ie. work). I think part of the reason I spend so much time futzing online is that I'm never sure when DD or DS will interrupt me, so it doesn't seem worth getting engrossed in a project.

#144 of 215 Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

Smokering, sorry about the headache with your daughter!  That is hard.  I think there is a measure of figuring out the balance of having two kids in the family, for EVERYONE.  Things that seemed appropriate for DD1, now seem unbearably childish. It's hard to have patience with things that I just took in stride pre-Lydia.  I am trying so hard not to show it, though, and share the hugs and cuddles equally.  DD bit Lydia on the hand yesterday.  It was so awful.  Not that she bit very hard, just left red marks, not teeth marks, but Lydia went rigid and turned purple with pain and fear and rage.  I certainly hope that is the last event of its kind, but I have an awful feeling that the adventure of parenting two is going to get more challenging from here.

Yikes! I totally understand not having much patience for the older child. I'm trying to remind myself that they're still really little themselves, and that it's a huge adjustment for them too.

We're in the midst of figuring out parenting with two as well. DD1 just loves, loves, loves her baby sister, perhaps a bit too much. It's very sweet but also frustrating at times. She wants to kiss and hug her all.the.time, which is not so great when I'm trying to get baby settled. I'm trying to find the balance between letting her show affection and bond, without letting her be all up in the baby's face and disruptive. I can't complain too much though. She's such a good big sister. love.gif

DD1 went back to preschool today after 6 weeks off. She was in good spirits this morning, thank goodness! I was expecting her to flip out and not want to go. I painted her nails in rainbow colours last night, and let her wear a new dress, so she was excited about showing those off. I really hope she has a good day.

I've been feeling decidedly unglamourous lately. My mission for this week is to tint my eyebrows & lashes (they're currently blond and invisible), trim my hair, and get a new outfit to wear to a wedding we're going to this weekend.

I also really need to get into gear with losing weight. I was hoping it'd just fall off by itself like it did with DD1, but that hasn't happened at all. I'm going have to actually put some effort into it this time.

#145 of 215 Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Amen to the revamping yourself--- I have been trying to do that this week as well. I never even got back to myself after DD so, this is long coming. When did I decide that it was ok to lounge around all day in sweats and no makeup with wet hair? My poor husband. It puts ME in a bad mood too. I can tell a huge difference in myself when I put in the effort to look presentable. I got my hair done last week and am going in to get my cut and feather extensions today--- yay!!!! DD is getting her first bang trim and feathers too--- super excited :) I also bought makeup and some clothes. I want to look CUTE in this years Disney pictures, not like a sweaty version of me who didn't want to take the time to do her hair or makeup. It really is hard for me to spend the money on myself, but it makes everyone's life better when I am up, productive, and feeling great about myself :)

P.S. DD loves DS too... but her versions of "helping" me are smacking the baby's back waaay too hard, kissing him at the worst times, and stealing his pacifier--to give to me to give back to the baby. Not so sweet when you have spent the last hour trying to get him to take a nap already!

P.S.S. I started taking Chlorophyll again in hopes that it would travel through the breastmilk and into Finn to get his poop moving!!!!! Why oh why is he not pooping?

#146 of 215 Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Amen to the revamping yourself--- I have been trying to do that this week as well. I never even got back to myself after DD so, this is long coming. When did I decide that it was ok to lounge around all day in sweats and no makeup with wet hair? My poor husband. It puts ME in a bad mood too. I can tell a huge difference in myself when I put in the effort to look presentable. I got my hair done last week and am going in to get my cut and feather extensions today--- yay!!!! DD is getting her first bang trim and feathers too--- super excited :) I also bought makeup and some clothes. I want to look CUTE in this years Disney pictures, not like a sweaty version of me who didn't want to take the time to do her hair or makeup. It really is hard for me to spend the money on myself, but it makes everyone's life better when I am up, productive, and feeling great about myself :)

Totally agree. It's really hard to work up the motivation to look decent when you're not planning on leaving the house, but at the same time I find myself avoiding going out even when I do have the opportunity, because I look & feel like crap.

I'm also on a mission to make-over our apartment. It's not dirty or anything, but it always looks messy because we just have way too much stuff. My mission is to sort it all out, get rid of the things we never use, and organise the things we do. I could probably get rid of half the contents of the spare room and not miss any of it.

Speaking of our apartment, I just noticed that our bedroom window has a gigantic crack in it. I don't know how it happened, but I suspect the neighbour's kids, seeing as they're often out there kicking balls around. I can't exactly go and accuse them of it though. Oh well. Our windows really need replacing anyway, so no major harm done.

We have our 6 week appointment tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing how much weight she's gained. I suspect it's a lot - she has three chins now!

#147 of 215 Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM

My big "presentation" issue is hair. My hair is really long - hip-length at the moment, and that's short for me! - and looks pretty good when I'm up-to-date on hennaing my roots and have it done in a fancy crown braid or lace braid and rose bun or one of the other nifty hairdos you can do when you have a lot of hair. Unfortunately, that's like, 5% of the time. The rest of the time I forget to take it out of its ratty sleep braid all day... or I start detangling it, get distracted by a crying baby or whatever, and end up chucking it in a messy bun and shoving a hat on top. And I can't even do the latter very easily at the moment, because one of my hairsticks went AWOL. *grumbles* The obvious answer would be "cut it", but a) I'm pretty sure I'd look dreadful with short hair - I always used to - b) I can't afford any kind of style that would require frequent trips to the hairdresser, c) I'd have Issues with any style that required spraying or curling or straightening, because I'm pretty hippie about my haircare, and d) I've had long hair since I was 13, it's part of my identity and with my mental health being the way it is, it'd probably send me into a tailspin of angst to have it cut off.

So, yeah. That and my postpartum tummy, which isn't shrinking away like it did after DD. I can wear my pre-pregnancy jeans, barely, but not do up the zip. I really want to sew myself some new clothes, but keep thinking I should wait until I've lost some weight... except that I'm not really exercising, so goodness knows when that'll happen. I wonder if it's because DS breastfeeds far less often than DD did?

This Sunday we're going to a steampunk train... day... thing. DD's into trains and has never been on one, and apparently there's a place not *too* far away with an old-fashioned steam train. I'm trying to figure out how to dress her and Miles - I can probably make a vaguely chimney-sweepish pair of overalls for Miles out of Dad's old trousers, but not sure about DD. If I had some white fabric I could maybe just make her a frilly dress and embroider some cogs on the sash...

#148 of 215 Old 08-03-2011, 02:51 PM

If you can get into your old jeans at all then you're doing great! I refuse to even try mine on because I know it won't be pretty.

DD2 has been sleeping soundly all day long, and I have a sneaking suspicion she'll be up all night. I tried waking her up a bit but she wasn't having any of it.

#149 of 215 Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm with you all on the "ready to feel normal" issue.  I just want my energy back.  A haircut and a pedicure might be nice too.  I can barely keep my hair WASHED, let alone looking decent.  I am glad it's summer and can just clip it up so at least it doesn't look scraggly.

DD1, I'm sure did not hurt her sister on purpose.  She was just in a mood, and I think just did it without thinking.  Normally she is very sweet and compassionate towards her sister.  I love how Lydia is beginning to appreciate the attention and smiles when she comes over and talks baby talk to her.

I think we're dealing with a growth spurt.  Lydia couldn't hardly sleep yesterday for wanting to eat every hour. I would just get her nodding off when she would wake attacking her hands with vicious sucks (she HATES ANY pacifiers--we've tried four brands!).  She also filled lots of diapers and her poops are looking very normal. Yay!  She is sleeping lots today.  We still have some SLIGHT fussier-than-usual times in the evenings, but it is more like she is wired and can't sleep than she is upset.  She also has a dot or two every once in a while on her face and is developing cradle cap on her scalp and by her eyebrows.  I am curious to see if anything changes when we go off grains, starches, and sugars next week.

DD1 is potty training.  She's 2 1/2, and she's been showing signs of readiness for a while now, just everything has been so unsteady and strange.  No big changes are due to happen for a while, so I hope this is good timing.  Basically, when we wake up I take off her diaper and don't put one back on until naptime.  I let her run around in a shirt, dress, or naked (her choice today).  She's really been doing well and seems to get the concept with only a few ALMOST accidents.  We haven't gone out of the house yet, though.  I think I'm more nervous for ME than for her.  If anyone has any pieces of golden advice, I'll take them!

Funny story, today my naked daughter came crawling into my lap for snuggles, so I pulled a little blanket over us and rocked her a bit.  Suddenly, I felt warm liquid on my leg.  "Did you pee?" I asked DD1 as I got her off my lap.  Nope, she hadn't, but MY milk had decided it was a good time to let down.  I guess oxytocin can be released when I am snuggling with ANY of my babies! 

#150 of 215 Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Amelia was up for 4 1/2 hours in the middle of the night last night. Nothing we did to try to get her to sleep worked! I'm still ridiculously chipper today for some reason. Yesterday we got a storage rack for the closet, and today I went to Target and got some plastic boxes and reorganized my yarn collection, also made some cleaning solution, did some general straightening, and made an actual dinner (most nights we end up just having leftovers). I feel like I've been very productive. But maybe I should have slept at some point in there. I am slowly getting the mess in this house under control, and it feels good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page