July Postpartum Chat - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 215 Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I looked into medical transcription, but they tend to use "proper" staff for it here, not SAHMs. A pity, because I think I'd quite enjoy it. DH just got another contract, plus he figured out his taxes and we have a few thousand in that account (he set aside more than he had to - so he's not totally clueless!); so that buys us a bit of time. So I'll work on my "funner" job ideas before I fill in the overnight supermarket shelf-stocking application. :p I've talked to a few people about tutoring, and gotten some good ideas about where to advertise and stuff. I think I'd be happy doing that, and not getting up at 4 in the morning would be a definite plus...

Poor wee Miles is sick - phlegmy, coughing until he projectile-vomits, and a runny nose. He's still pretty cheerful, though! He's taken to pooping all up his back. Great fun. He's rolled over twice, but he was on a slight incline both times so I don't think it counts!

DD is currently driving me nuts with her eating habits. She eats SO. SLOWLY. If we're watching something while we eat (we have a projector and often watch Star Trek during dinner - classy, I know) she'll get distracted and just stare at the screen with a mouthful of half-chewed food (which is, incidentally, gross). She also takes tiny, tiny bites. We've tried feeding her without anything to watch, but apparently she can get just as distracted by the ceiling. We have to prod her to finish every bite. Then she eats a miniscule amount and claims her "tummy hurts" (which can't be true, because she's running around happily and asking for treats five minutes later), or that she "doesn't know how" to eat and we have to feed her (which our flatmate was doing until I made him stop - she's perfectly capable of feeding herself).

It's driving DH, in particular, mad. Two nights ago she took an hour to eat about a quarter of a tiny ramekin of cauliflower cheese (which she likes), with nagging the whole time; so he decided she couldn't have anything else to eat until she'd finished that. It took her nearly twenty-four hours to finish it, and it wasn't a big portion at all. She had a few more bites at breakfast, a few more at lunch, all under duress... finally said she was hungry at 5, then whined about having to eat it, and only finished up because we were having guests for dinner and she knew there'd be chippies. She ate a fairly good dinner after that (homemade hamburgers)... I'll be interested to see how she goes today.

Any ideas? I know I should just mentally dissociate and keep giving her the same food until she eats it, instead of snacks between meals. But I'm having a hard time letting go of the searing rage when she just sits there picking and whining "I'm EATING!" whenever we prod her. The only thing she voluntarily eats in quantity is carbs - if we have soup or bread we have to ration the bread and make her eat X spoonfuls of soup between, or she'll just devour the bread and leave the soup. Even foods she really likes, like fried eggs... if it's eggs on toast, she'll fill up on toast and then say she's too full for the egg. I do make moderately nutritious bread, but I don't want her getting most of her calories from carbs.

Arrrgh. There are times I feel really guilty because, in their current developmental states, I like Miles a lot better. :(

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#212 of 215 Old 08-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I already commented on FB, but he's so cute, Holly!  I have some progress pics too, with DD next to a doll. In the first they're nearly the same size, and it the second she's about 50% bigger. It's amazing how rapidly they grow at this age. They're little weight-gaining machines.

Good luck with your results erigeron!

Smokering - sorry to hear Miles is sick. :( DD2's been sick too. It's funny, it took DD1 a full two years to get her first cold, and DD2 only 2 months. Oh the joys of having a grubby-fingered older sibling touching the baby all the time!

Regarding the eating, all I can suggest is to take a deep breath and give yourselves permission to just let it go. It's not worth your sanity. It's your responsibility to offer her food, not to make her eat it. Ellyn Satter has some pretty sane advice: http://www.ellynsatter.com/how-to-feed-i-24.html

Poor DD1 has really been missing my mother since she went home. She keeps coming up with various schemes for getting money so we can afford to fly to Australia (her best idea: "Let's BUY more money!"). It makes me really sad too. It's been more than 6 freakin' years since my last visit, and that visit was only 10 days for my father's funeral. I have various older relatives pushing 90 and I know they won't be around for much longer. My BFF is getting married in October and I'll miss that too. :( I hate being so broke. We need to win the lottery.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#213 of 215 Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Snowflake, I love that link!  It is giving me really great support for helping DD1 eat without making "rules" about it.  Food is still a tricky road.  My brother is so picky about food, it MIGHT be classified as a mental illness.  I, on the other hand, have really no strong aversions and will eat just about anything without qualm.  So who knows.

This place is pretty quiet over here.  I am really enjoying the new FB group, but I am sad for those who haven't moved over. :(  PLEASE come, Smokering.  Just make a false FB identity.  No one else need know you're on there!  MaryElizabeth-- you too!  We miss you!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#214 of 215 Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM

helllllloooooooooooo

is anyone still around?

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#215 of 215 Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM

We're all on Facebook! ;)

Momsteader likes this.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page