How to start pumping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nak. I'm not going back to work until September, but in August I'll have to leave Amelia for about 4 hours to take the board exam. How far in advance should I start pumping to prepare for a separation? What's the best way to start pumping--time of day? I get nervous because I don't want to be pumping out milk and leaving her with too little.

#2 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 07:12 AM

I pump to donate. I'm just starting to get into a routine, though I started pumping with DD was 3 days old. I seem to have a lot of extra milk first thing in the morning. I pump one side at a time, when she's pretty asleep. Usually, I have a couple of times a day when I seem fuller than she wants, so I pump then. I leave my pump horn out and only wash it once at the end of the day. I have all of my pump stuff set up by the computer so I can surf and pump (and sometimes nurse at the same time).

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#3 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM

I have all my pump stuff next to my bed, set up and ready to go. At night he only nurses on one side at a time, so I usually have fuller breasts in the morning as well. I'll nurse him in the morning, he'll go back to sleep, and then I'll pump for 10 minutes or so. I'm not going back to school until the last week in August, but I'd like to have enough of a supply built up that I have a nice cushion and won't run out of milk for him. Once school starts I'll be pumping during the day when I'm away from him so that will be added to the supply.

If there are any other points during the day where I feel fuller than normal, I'll pull out the pump and pump a little. I don't have any kind of schedule or routine with it yet, since I only started a few days ago. I figure that the routine will develop after a couple of weeks.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#4 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Generally you have the most milk in the mornings due to hormone levels or something such like that. I know that when I pumped full time I would get copious amounts in the morning and like half the amount other times. If you can pump one breast while baby is at one, then you'll get more milk than just pumping without baby at the breast. Then just swap for the next feeding. Your body will respond to the increased demand and make more milk!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#5 of 5 Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post

Generally you have the most milk in the mornings due to hormone levels or something such like that. I know that when I pumped full time I would get copious amounts in the morning and like half the amount other times. If you can pump one breast while baby is at one, then you'll get more milk than just pumping without baby at the breast. Then just swap for the next feeding. Your body will respond to the increased demand and make more milk!

This is really what I need to start doing. So far I've been too lazy, but that has to stop!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page