baby Abigail...picture and story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baby Abby was born 11 days past my due date...I tried everything I could to avoid being induced, but I was grateful my OB let me go to 11 days.  Around here that's rare!  I had two previous epidural births (the second time it failed as I was going through transition), and I really wanted to do this one without an epidural...which I did thanks to a wonderful doula!

For about a week before she was born, I was having hours of 10 minute apart contractions that fizzled out into nothing.  I did everything my doula suggested to keep them going or to start them again, but they just wouldn't last.  I tried some positioning techniques in case that was the problem and it didn't work, either.  So in I went for the induction.  OB broke my water at 8am...two hours later I had no contractions, so they started me on the lowest dose of Pitocin.  They very slowly increased it, which again I was thankful for...the previous two times I was just loaded with Pit from the beginning to get the baby out as quick as possible.  At around 1pm my OB came to check me, and I was 5cm.  I had been handling the contractions just fine.  Around 4 pm they checked me again and I was only 6cm.  At that point they had increased the Pit a whole lot because my contractions just weren't productive or close together, and handling them was getting much harder.  At around 6pm they checked me again, and I hadn't changed at all.  I was so defeated at that point...I thought it was going to be hours before I had the baby, and with the Pit near maxed out I just couldn't handle the contractions any more.

Totally disappointed but not knowing what else to do, I said I was ready for the epidural.  The anesthesiologist was in surgery and it was going to be 25 minutes before he could get there.  I asked for a dose of Nubain because I didn't think I could handle any more at that point.  Within a few minutes of getting the Nubain, I started making uncontrollable moaning noises and I heard my doula tell my husband that she thought they were transition noises.  A few contractions after that I told my doula and my husband that my body was pushing and I couldn't stop it.  The nurse ran in, checked me...and I was complete.  I went from 6.5cm to complete in about 30 minutes.  My OB came in as she was starting to crown...she was born at 6:27pm.  Thankfully the anesthesiologist never made it.

I'm still a little sad my body didn't go into labor on it's own and I'll never experience what it's like for that to happen, but I am very grateful I was able to have an epidural free birth and actually push my baby out and feel everything about that.  I'm disappointed I got the Nubain and asked for an epidural, but I honestly thought at that point and being 6.5 cm that it would be midnight before she was born and I just couldn't take it any more. 

She was 8 pounds 14 ounces, my biggest baby...super chunky and wide awake when she came out.  My previous two births I had episiotomies, this time I had a minor tear that only took a couple stitches.  She's 6 days old and I'm pretty much completely feeling normal at this point...I knew I would feel better without the epidural!

Here is a picture of my chunky baby girl...I had progesterone issues in the beginning, and after having two miscarriages between my other two kiddos I didn't really think there would be a third.  Our family is now complete.  :)

And here is a link to my friend's blog...I am a birth photographer, and she is my backup partner...she photographed the birth for me...

http://houstonbirthphotographer.com/blog/

DSC_2112babyabbyhomeweb.jpg

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Thank you for sharing your story! Huge congrats...hope you're enjoying your baby moon!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#3 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Yay!  Good for you, Mama!  Welcome precious Abigail (a long time favorite name of mine!)!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#4 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Congratulations!  Don't you just love having a birth photographer there!  I had one for this baby, my last, and I love the pictures!!!!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page