~1st Chat Thread!! Week of Oct 25th~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, okay... I know I am anxious to get things going here! But my favorite part of a DDC is the chat thread!!

So how is everyone this week? Getting ready for Halloween? We *kind of* celebrate it - DS will have a costume and we will go to a little party, but the Jewish big dress-up and be crazy holiday is Purim, so we tend to be a little more excited about that.

How is everyone feeling? Anyone with the pukes? So far I feel great except for the immense fatigue. It is getting harder and harder to chase after a 1yo and 3yo and I don't even have a big belly in the way yet! I had bad morning sickness with DD but none at all with DS. I am curious to see what this time around brings. I am also trying to figure out what to do with regards to prenatal care. I plan on having another homebirth but am not sure if I am going to go with a licensed midwife or a direct entry lay midwife. We have an appointment with the licensed midwife on Wednesday so we will see how that goes.

And I just found out that I may be hosting Thanksgiving this year...

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

omgosh, hosting Thanksgiving in early pregnancy? You're my hero lol I don't usually actually get sick, just feel sick a lot. And the tired, yeah it's started early this time.

We're preparing for Halloween too, only the two littles still do trick or treat but the older two go with us and are dressing up. Should be fun then a few days after that one of my sons turns 8 so we have that to prepare for. Busy week for me to be tired and sick for "no reason"

My husband and I were in the process of separating and one last stupid hurrah got me here lol I hate to say "stupid" because I'm a big believer in things happening how they're supposed to happen but wooow...I'm feeling everything at once all mushed together in one big ball of emotion. I'm adjusting...or trying to lol still a bit in shock atm. I'm working part time, going to school until Spring, trying to manage the kids and just..wow again lol the funny thing is that I always thought it would be cool to have a summer baby (my others were late fall/early spring babies lol)

Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

My DH has a busy week this week so I'll be on night duty for most nights. We're T&Ting on Saturday since that's the day designated for our neighborhood. DS finally decided he wants to be a viking so I have to get to work on sewing it up for him. I don't think we'll be dressing DD up, she has some cute skeleton pj's to wear, though.

I didn't have ms with DS but had it horribly with DD up until 15-16 weeks. I started feeling a little sick tonight so I hope it won't be as bad. ms feels like motion sickness/vertigo to me and vomiting totally catches me off guard because of it. I'm also really tired this time around and that's similar to DS's pregnancy.

You are a brave one for hosting Thanksgiving, I may end up doing the same. Catering anyone?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 PM

I've been sick every time and am waiting, so far I feel great, besides being tired. And emotional. I'm SO not ready for this. I wanted to wait 3-4 years before thinking about another one.

On the up side I got told today that my body was way too hot to have 4 kids (nobody knows I'm pregnant yet), which felt pretty good. The first few pregnancies I got really bloated early on. But last time and this time, no bloat. Last time I was still wearing my jeans at 13 weeks and carried the smallest of all, so I'm hoping for that again this time. I also lose weight in the first tri, you know, because I get so sick, so I might actually be able to pull off the skinny jeans look for awhile and stay in denial for as long as possible.

T&T'ing Saturday night here too, girls are going to be pioneer girls, dressed in Little House on the Prairie style dresses. Going to try to find some suspenders for the little guy, he'll just wear khaki's, flannel button down, and suspenders if I can find some. I may or may not dress up in a similar style, haven't decided yet.

Probably going to homebirth, but dh is balking at the cost since we just spent a chunk of our last tax return on homebirthing. I've never had a hospital birth, so I don't think I'd make a very good patient there. He suggested going unassisted but I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Maybebaby, you're pregnant with #5 too. That makes me feel a little less crazy. This was totally unexpected, but I do have a very supportive husband, which I'm sure makes a world of difference. I'm so sorry you're going through such a stressful time.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebaby View Post

My husband and I were in the process of separating and one last stupid hurrah got me here lol I hate to say "stupid" because I'm a big believer in things happening how they're supposed to happen but wooow...I'm feeling everything at once all mushed together in one big ball of emotion. I'm adjusting...or trying to lol still a bit in shock atm. I'm working part time, going to school until Spring, trying to manage the kids and just..wow again lol the funny thing is that I always thought it would be cool to have a summer baby (my others were late fall/early spring babies lol)

Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep
Oh Mama! Hugs! What a crazy time for you. Is your husband still living with you? Do you have some family or friends you can lean on? I agree with with you in regards to "it happens when it's supposed to happen" - I mean, I am on my 3rd baby in less than 4 years and I'm not even *opposed* to birth control Babies are always a blessing, even if it seems bittersweet at first. We're here for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
T&T'ing Saturday night here too, girls are going to be pioneer girls, dressed in Little House on the Prairie style dresses. Going to try to find some suspenders for the little guy, he'll just wear khaki's, flannel button down, and suspenders if I can find some. I may or may not dress up in a similar style, haven't decided yet.
I love this idea! Sounds so cute. DS is going to be a "digger" - an excavator, really. I am making the costume out of a cardboard box and dowel rods with an altered bucket attached to it. It is either going to be very clever or just plain strange.

Is anyone else preparing to tandem nurse (Katie you are, right?). DD gave up nursing around 12 months and then started strong again 6 weeks later. I didn't think I had any milk left but she didn't mind. Now it's her main source of entertainment!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Is anyone else preparing to tandem nurse (Katie you are, right?). DD gave up nursing around 12 months and then started strong again 6 weeks later. I didn't think I had any milk left but she didn't mind. Now it's her main source of entertainment!
Definitely! My baby is only 9 months old and I'd really like him to nurse until at least 2 years old. But if we make it to at least 12 months I'll be okay. I ordered some More Milk Two already hoping it will make a difference. My milk usually goes quick.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Wow, I'm feeling sooo sick this morning lol usually I get the evening sicks, and not this early. Oh well, just par for the course, eh?

Is anyone else silly like me and still taking tests? lol I wanted to be "sure" so I got a couple this morning before coming in to work haven't taken them yet though...

Thanks for the kind words guys means a lot...Tracy, yeah we're still living together. He's a good guy and a great father, we just grew apart and were gradually moving toward separating. But I know this is going to freak him the hell out lol our plates are pretty much overflowing as is...

I'm trying to figure out what to do about docs...thinking no matter what I decide to do for the birth I need a local backup ob plus I'd like testing. Our youngest has Downs and I had no idea..not sure if it's better to know or not know lol and it doesn't matter as it won't cause me to do much differently but I'm thinking I may at least do the quad screen. I know all the problems with it, but...I dunno lol ack so confused about so many things! lol

Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ha! I had to laugh because I just took another test yesterday My first BFP was almost 2 weeks ago!!! Why am I still testing????!!! I guess for some of us it just IS a little hard to believe.

FWIW, DH and I were separated for a while when I was pg with DD. It was the hardest time ever. We went to counseling and everything worked out well for us. I thought there was no chance and I was freaking out for 4 months straight - but I needed to work on ME before I could really work on US. And I tried sooooooo hard - every day. Not saying that it can be like that for everyone, but sometimes it can happen.

DS was up all.night.long. coughing and DH is very sick, too. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get it but that is pretty unlikely! I am hoping that lots of hot tea, snuggles and vitamins will help knock this out of them.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Hi guys!

So excited that our Due Date Club is up!

I would love to have a homebirth with this babe, but DH is totally not supportive of that idea. I had two hospital births with my sons, and would love the experience of having this baby at home. We'll see if I can talk him into it, lol.

I'm not big on Halloween, but we are going on a trick or treat hayride, so that should be fun. DS#1 is going to be a fireman, and DS #2 is Buzz Lightyear

Sarah-Mommy to T (5), C (2) and baking a baby girl due in early July
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM

LOL I just happened to have a drawer full of ICs that I'd bought bulk back in the summer. So I figure, gotta use them up, right? No sense in wasting them. So I'm still testing every morning. Lame perhaps, but I feel better watching the lines get a little darker and still there. I had an early (6 wk) loss in April and though I'm intent on not dwelling on that this time around, I am still temping and testing to reassure myself for the next two weeks.

I was thinking of starting a thread for those of us breastfeeding through this pregnancy....I'll do that since it sounds like there's already a few of us. DD is 3+2 months almost but going strong. Especially since she has a nasty cold right now - right there with you tracymom! Hoping that tea and elderberry can fight it off....

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

And our rainbow is here! E babyboy.gif 10/11

Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebaby View Post
Wow, I'm feeling sooo sick this morning lol usually I get the evening sicks, and not this early. Oh well, just par for the course, eh?

Is anyone else silly like me and still taking tests? lol I wanted to be "sure" so I got a couple this morning before coming in to work haven't taken them yet though...

Thanks for the kind words guys means a lot...Tracy, yeah we're still living together. He's a good guy and a great father, we just grew apart and were gradually moving toward separating. But I know this is going to freak him the hell out lol our plates are pretty much overflowing as is...

I'm trying to figure out what to do about docs...thinking no matter what I decide to do for the birth I need a local backup ob plus I'd like testing. Our youngest has Downs and I had no idea..not sure if it's better to know or not know lol and it doesn't matter as it won't cause me to do much differently but I'm thinking I may at least do the quad screen. I know all the problems with it, but...I dunno lol ack so confused about so many things! lol
if you are not opposed to ultrasounds, the nuchal translucency test (where they measure the back of the fetus' neck), done at 12-13 weeks, combined with the quad screen is the best predictor of down's.

good luck and i'm so sorry to hear about your marriage. hugs honey... (and i also believe that "what happens is meant to be.")

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM

Keri, yep that's what I was thinking of, it's been so long I can't even remember what tests I'm talking about but yeah, better than just the screen itself. I'm not sure I want to do amnio so the NT is the best bet...but at this point my mind is still reeling from just the thought of having a fifth baby lol and I have time yet for that decision.

Had to pee so I took one of those tests, yep much darker

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry you're having a hard time C

I'm planning to tandem again, I posted in the nursing mamas thread

Both of mine woke up at 4am today. Good thing DH doesn't have to be in for work until 3pm, so I got to sleep in a bit. Going to interview a midwife tomorrow morning.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 PM

I have to laugh at how many are still taking tests! I have been too. After two losses since May, it is really reassuring to see the lines get darker. I haven't had much nausea, but have been feeling like I have low blood sugar (dizzy when I stand up fast, very tired, etc.).

maybebaby- Lots of hugs, I also believe in things happening for a reason.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM

so much fun seeing the group get bigger

I've been having that too, feeling dizzy and just off. I kinda knew before I even got the positive that something was up just by things like that lol

Katie, aw midwife interview! I keep remembering all the cool things about being pregnant lol Good luck with it, I hope she's a fit

sorry about the sleepless kiddos though...that can be hard...

oops better get some work done lol

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

UGH!!!
This is one sucky day. DS is very sick, DD is cutting 2 teeth, DH is gone until 8pm and I have to get to the store at some point but it's almost 4pm and I am STILL in my pajamas!!

I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM

Aw Tracy that *is* a sucky day!! Hope today is going better for you already

Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

It is so windy here in Chicago today that while I was driving with the window down, various bits of debris kept pelting me in the eyes! I actually had to roll up the windows! It like the Wizard Of Oz over here!

I got my serger back to day - it's all tuned up and ready to go!! My maternity patterns also came in the mail today! I can't wait to start making myself some maternity tops and skirts. All my maternity wear from my last pregnancies is starting to look very, very worn out and icky. Its time for some new duds! I hate to spend money on everyday things so I am just going to use the fabric I have and maybe alter some clothes that don't really fit anymore.

Does anyone else here sew? I started just a few years ago and got a lot of practice before DD was born. I made her diapers (not very pretty, but they worked!) and my mama cloth for the postpartum time. Now it is pretty much an obsession - I sew whenever I possibly can.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM

I used to sew a lot in college. Lately, not so much. I have a hard time doing things like that with Jackson around (he's 2.5). Plus now I am really into beading so I usually go for that when I get a chance! I would really like to get back to doing some sewing though. Some mama cloth would be wonderful. And I have a quilt that I started when I got married that would be fun to try to finish by next July for our 10th anniversary. yeah maybe if somehow a few more hours appear in the day!

Anyway, I am trying to get my Halloween costume together which will involve a little sewing. I going with Medusa this year so I think it will be pretty easy to transform a sheet into a toga-type dress and wear long underwear underneath. Then i am going to make a snake headdress out of some chipboard and paint and pin some "jelly" snakes in my hair ad of course do some crazy makeup! Jackson is going to be a train engineer so that is all taken care of. He is going trick or treating for the first time this year, so DH is very excited. I also have to make a DJ Lance hat for him for his costume, hopefully I can find some good orange fur somehow.

Even though we were ttc, this bfp was kind of a surprise because we really were not expecting to get pregnant the first month. (does anyone ) When I told dh he says, "I thought it was supposed to take at least 3 months! It's not fair, that's the best part!" He is so funny.

I am not sick yet but last time I did not get any morning sickness until about 7.5 weeks so... And i don't really get *sick* I just have a crappy nauseous feeling and things don't taste right for awhile. And I have eat when the body says eat or i really do feel like i'm going to throw up.

I am so excited about getting a new one in our family and getting to know you all here in ddc!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Well, it snowed here yesterday, along with howling winds. Luckily today is nicer, but still cold. It's supposed to be better for halloween, I sure hope so!
I so envy those of you that can sew well! I've made a few diapers, but they didn't look so great (they did work). I also made my 1st dd a pretty nightgown that both girls wore when they were about 2-4 yrs old, and I've crocheted a few woolies for the boys and sewed and crocheted some blankets. It seems like I can never get the time to actually improve the few skills I have. How do you sewing mama's find the time?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Tracy, I sew. It's my hobby and I sew whenever possible! Which is not a lot of the time with homeschooling my 2 olders and taking care of a toddler and baby. But I make the time. It makes me happy.

I just finished sewing 3 Laura Ingall's style dresses and pinafores. That was A LOT of work. I like making clothes for the kiddos most of all. But I also enjoy making diapers for the babes.

ETA: How I make time to sew? Naptime is a good time to sew, the olders can do independent school work or watch a show or go play outside. And sometimes I sew in the evening after the kids are in bed, but I'm often too tired by then. I have to be really into a project and not have to use my brain much in order to sew at night.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I own a cloth diapering business but it has majorly fallen by the way-side. I've really just run out of time to dedicate to it, so now sewing is really just a hobby. When I do sew it's at night or nap time. With DD I sewed her entire cloth stash for the most part but she has extremely sensitive skin and breaks out in a rash when exposed to moisture or with certain fabrics so diapering her has always been a challenge, I ended up donating her stash. I have to decide what I want to do about diapers this time around, if we do cloth it probably won't be for a few months since we're moving right after. I do love sewing baby clothes and we have several wrap tops and hat sets, New Conceptions Baby Essentials are must have patterns if you sew.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
I own a cloth diapering business but it has majorly fallen by the way-side. I've really just run out of time to dedicate to it, so now sewing is really just a hobby. When I do sew it's at night or nap time. With DD I sewed her entire cloth stash for the most part but she has extremely sensitive skin and breaks out in a rash when exposed to moisture or with certain fabrics so diapering her has always been a challenge, I ended up donating her stash. I have to decide what I want to do about diapers this time around, if we do cloth it probably won't be for a few months since we're moving right after. I do love sewing baby clothes and we have several wrap tops and hat sets, New Conceptions Baby Essentials are must have patterns if you sew.
I have used the New Conceptions patterns for onsies and mama cloth - they are really easy to use. Love them. So Katie what fabric did you end up with for your DD? Or was it just better to use sposies? My friend's daughter is 3 months old and highly sensitive to being wet/certain fabrics - fleece seems to be a major issue. I want to make her some diapers but just don't know what fabric would be best. I bought some hemp flannel and thought that might be okay with a wool cover? I also have some organic undyed terrycloth that I might be able to do something with...

I mostly sew during naptime and on days when DH is home. He is a real estate agent so although he works all weekend, he is usually home for at least 2 days during the week. For the last year his business has been painfully slow, but things have really been picking up lately!!!! Yay, cuz we need the money!!!

Are any of you mamas dressing up for halloween or going to any grown-up parties? We were invited to one on Saturday night but since everyone in the house is sick I think we are going to skip it. I don't have a costume anyway!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Katie and Tracy: I had similar problems with Jackson breaking out/eczema using cloth. The eczema started around 4 mo but was completely manageable. I stopped using cloth around 7mo basically because I could not get him to hold still long enough to get a diaper on anymore... But I recent bought some Fuzzibunz onesize to use at night and they give him a horrible horrible rash! I think it is from staying wet for too long. But anyway, no real suggestions or solutions, just sympathy here! I am definitely going to try cloth again for this babe. DH thinks it is gross but I am trying to save him $$$!!!

We are going to an adult party on Sat (most of our friends do not have kids) and J will come with us. It'll be fun and then we just head home when everyone else wants to go out to the bars. We also have a little neighborhood party to go to on Sun for Jackson. I am sure it will just be the kids playing and then trick or treating.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 PM

It was really hard to determine was exactly was going on with her but she has major issues with synthetic fabrics, suede cloth especially (like BG's). Our NB/SM stash was cotton flannel fitteds. We went to basic prefolds and she would get a horrible rash that way as well, her skin just gets very angry with prolonged exposure to moisture. I'm really careful about what detergent is used with diapers and I make sure to use one without anything irritating in it but that didn't seem to influence it.

My son's never even had a diaper rash so it threw me for a loop. Even with disposables she couldn't wear anything other than 7th Generation or Huggies Pure and Natural. When DS potty trained I ended up going through all of our diapers (and realized we had an entire stash of nearly every system out there ) and sold or donated it all so we'll be starting from scratch. I would love to be able to use cloth again.

Aside from that, both kids have a dairy allergy which leads to eczema and diaper rashes. So we're just a big bundle of fun skin issues

As far as fabrics, I would think natural fibers and wool covers are your best bet. You could use the hemp flannel as the inner and outer and the terrycloth as the soaker if you're making fitted's or prefitted's.

Both of my kids are sick today, DD came down with what DS has in the middle of the night. I'm also feeling a bit under the weather

Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I am in a house full of sickys!!! Everyone has it but me (knock wood) and I am going to do my best to remain positive! I WILL NOT get sick!!! Right? Gosh, I hope so!

Fridays are a big day around here because we celebrate Shabbat and I usually spend the whole day cooking. Because of the illnesses, I'm not sure if I will have the time to make the bread and prepare a big meal. Might just go to the bakery and pick up an already-cooked chicken from the market

I am definitely starting to feel the nausea so I am trying to avoid strong smells-that always seems to be a big trigger for me. For some reason garlic makes my stomach turn right now even though I LOVE it!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Ooooh, can you come cook at my house

It's a sinus thing that we all have. DD did better last night and slept in until 9. she was up all night the night before. I'm going to break out the neti pot today. DS doesn't seem to be bothered by being sick at all.

I'm definitely enjoying eating before ms sets in, last time I couldn't eat anything other than miso soup for a loooong time and now I hate it because it reminds me of ms

Old 10-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Sorry you guys are sick! Hope you all feel better soon.

I woke up today on top of the world until DH blew up at Jackson and then I was a wreck all morning. See we are dealing with an "I don't LIKE Daddy" phase. Well maybe i can't even call it a phase because it has been going on for longer than I can really remember. I think DH is at the end of his rope and I just don't know what to do about it. Anyway I think I've got it together for now at least. I forgot about the emotional crazy coaster pregnancy puts me on...

Well Jackson and I are going to paint now

Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Firecat, I LOVE the name Jackson!! DH won't have it, but it was on my short list with DS. His name is Gabe (Gabriel) and it fits him so well so I guess everything works out like that!

With us, DS goes back and forth with who he "likes" at the moment. When DH is away all day at work, every 10 minutes he desperately asks me "WHERE is Papa??!!" All.Day.Long. He acts out, doesn't listen to me at all and throws tantrums every chance he gets. And from what I hear, when I am gone for more than an hour or so, the same thing happens in reverse with DH. My nephew just turned 6 and he was like that at this age too - and the good news is that he is now waaaaayyyyy more mellow than I would have every thought he could be. There is hope!

Well, I am more on track today than I anticipated. The bread is rising, dinner has been prepped and DS's Halloween costume is about 1/2 done. I have to wait for the paint to dry before moving on to the next phase.

Any mamas in this DDC homeschooling? I am trying to get a program together for DS - just an informal pre-k thing. I ordered a few supplies from RR but haven't really thought about what to actually do with them! I am starting to worry about my decision to homeschool... I should head over to that forum sometime...

User Tag List