Nursing Mamas Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Question about nursing while pregnant: I read that although milk letdown might trigger an intense wave of nausea for some women (I've already been experiencing this) that nursing while pregnant can reduce overall morning sickness.

I'm 5 1/2 weeks now and I'm pretty queasy a lot of the time, but by this time in my last pregnancy the nausea was constant and incapacitating. So far my morning sickness is definitely not as intense. I might be speaking too soon though, lol!

Does anyone know if the nursing/less ms connection is true, and if so why that would be?

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I've been worried about my lack of morning sickness this time. I had it pretty bad with my first, not as bad with my second when I was nursing my 19 month old once a day, and I'm nursing my 21 month old about 3 times a day now and mostly feeling good. Just a few afternoons of feeling a bit off.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 77 Old 11-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm glad I found this thread!  I'm nursing my 18 month old about 3 times a day and I don't see him self-weaning during this pregnancy.  Nursing is his definitely his favorite time of day!  But I've noticed a huge decrease in how much he swallows, so I'm guessing my supply is already starting to be impacted.  Doesn't seem to bother him, so we'll roll with it.

I'm kind of conflicted about tandem nursing though.  I like the idea of it and DS will be a fairly young 2-year-old when the new LO is born, but I just don't know if I can handle *that* much touch.  DS' newborn period was hard for me, it took forever to get the hang of nursing, we had every problem in the book, and the idea of nursing two is just...overwhelming.  But then again, just the idea of mothering two is overwhelming right now!  So I guess we'll just plan to go as far as we can and re-evaluate when we need to.

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
#63 of 77 Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM

i got the adventures in tandem nursing book and read it over the holiday!  awesome!

it mentions the less morning sickness for some people (but sounds like one of those situations where it's better for some people and worse for others)

i feel like my supply has decreased.  my poor baby is not happy. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#64 of 77 Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 AM

I'm still nursing my soon to be two year old ( a month from tomorrow!!!!). She is showing no signs of slowing down. She still nurses like 10 times a day and several times at night. I'm hoping she doesn't wean, and we end up tandem nursing. However, whatever happens, happens. 

My nipples are certainly sensitive, and it often  hurts quite a bit when she latches one. Also, I do sometimes get a strong wave of nausea during letdown. I've always occasionally gotten nauseous during letdown (since she was born). It's just stronger now that I am pregnant.

Mom to one amazing little girl (32 months now!), 3 cats and 2 dogs. Wife to my hardworking hubby of 4 years. belly.gif again after 2 losses.  fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif  familybed1.gif

#65 of 77 Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i got the adventures in tandem nursing book and read it over the holiday!  awesome!

it mentions the less morning sickness for some people (but sounds like one of those situations where it's better for some people and worse for others)

I'll have to check that out. 

I'm not having any nausea at all, just occasionally some watery mouth in the afternoon but not enough to make me want to not eat. ;)  My nipples weren't sore before but now they are getting sensitive.  It's uncomfortable when DS latches on but then goes away.  Luckily he's a nice nurser.  I feel like my supply has dropped a little, but not significantly.  When would supply bottom out? 

I work 2 days a week so I'm planning to continue pumping at work like I have been and no pumping at all at home.  I'm to the point of dont offer dont refuse because I wouldn't be sad to stop nursing any time but I dont want to mama led wean if I can at all help it.   

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#66 of 77 Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM

it feels like i have a lot less milk but my son says that i have milk and he seems to think it is fine, he is nursing for longer lengths of time but not more often. i am wondering if he will dry nurse when the milk dries up.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#67 of 77 Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM

this is weird.. i thought i saw mamas talking about more milk 2 tincture in this thread but i guess not, looking back through i don't see it.. anyone ever use it?  it's just nettle, rrl and alfalfa basically... i just ordered some.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#68 of 77 Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

I'll have to check that out. 

I'm not having any nausea at all, just occasionally some watery mouth in the afternoon but not enough to make me want to not eat. ;)  My nipples weren't sore before but now they are getting sensitive.  It's uncomfortable when DS latches on but then goes away.  Luckily he's a nice nurser.  I feel like my supply has dropped a little, but not significantly.  When would supply bottom out? 

I work 2 days a week so I'm planning to continue pumping at work like I have been and no pumping at all at home.  I'm to the point of dont offer dont refuse because I wouldn't be sad to stop nursing any time but I dont want to mama led wean if I can at all help it.   

I get the watery mouth too. It was much worse with my first too, but I am getting it a bit this time too. It's not something I hear other pregnant women talk about.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

#69 of 77 Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM

So glad to find this thread. smile.gif My nursling is 27 months and I'm about 7 weeks along. She latches 3x a day (for morning, nap and bedtime) and each time it is VERY painful. She nurses only on 1 breast which she has done for many months now. I do feel more nauseus when my milk releases but I've also experienced ALOT more M/S this time, and it's the only time i've nursed while pregnant.

I hope the pain passes quickly, I'm hanging in there for now (nursed my 1st DD for 2.5 yrs) but really hope the pain gets better!

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#70 of 77 Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 AM

My 24 month old is acting oddly this morning, so I'm wondering if my milk is drying up. She actually got her pacifier out of her bed (she's only ever used it while sleeping) and brought it with her. She asked for milk a couple of times, tried it for a few seconds, and went back to the pacifier. I don't mind if she weans (I've never nursed past the first trimester, and both of my older children weaned while I pg with the next), but it just seems a little abrubt. It's such a bittersweet thing.

#71 of 77 Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM

I'm 7.5 weeks now and the pain while nursing started a few days ago.  Now I know what you guys were talking about.  I mean, OW!  Especially upon latching.  It's much worse on my right side than the left--is anyone else having one hurt more than the other?

#72 of 77 Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

6w4d here and things are going well (nursing-wise, anyway).  my son nurses several times a day and all through the night, as usual.  a bit of pain upon latching, but not always and nothing too extreme.  my breasts feel a bit fuller this week, but i'm definitely still letting-down and, i wonder, if i could be making a little more milk, as he seems to be swallowing more sometimes than usual.  coming off two losses and having had a rather unpleasant pregnancy with my son, i wonder if maybe the universe will cut me some slack and at least let nursing go well through pregnancy...

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#73 of 77 Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM

Hi folks - just joining here. I'm about 6 wks 4 days pg and nursing my 18mo. I think my supply is basically on its way out though. I haven't pumped in months, but we went out the other night (so I didn't nurse DD to sleep) and I pumped after I got home and only pumped about an ounce and a half, total. She still nurses about 3-4 times a day and once or twice at night, so seems like the demand should have kept up supply a little better. I feel like we've had a good run and it's probably inevitable that she will wean during this pregnancy. . . still I'm a bit sad.  Besides oatmeal, what are some easy and safe ways to boost supply in pregnancy?  (maybe there are more answers to this earlier in this thread - I will look through them now)

Musical mom to DD (5/24/09) and expecting #2 in July 2011!whistling.gif
#74 of 77 Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

from dr. jay gordon's site:

Pregnancy

Sometimes a mom finds herself needing to maintain a supply in order to nurse through a pregnancy. In some cases mom finds that the supply and demand system works out nicely and they have no problems nursing right through pregnancy. In other cases mom finds she needs a little help. There are mild galactagogues that are safe to take in pregnancy. These herbs can also be used in combination of two or three.

Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day

DO NOT take fenugreek, fennel, or blessed thistle while pregnant.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#75 of 77 Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 PM

I've been taking More Milk Two herbal supplement.  But, I'm about to throw in the towel.  My nursling has started refusing to nurse.  And he's been insanely fussy.  We thought he was just teething, but it turns out he was hungry.  He sucked down 3 bottles of formula in record time today.  I'm pretty sad about it since I badly wanted to nurse him until his second birthday at least.  But there's nothing I can do about it.  

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#76 of 77 Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Thanks, Javilu and Alisha. I think I may try the More Milk Two - for some reason DD is now refusing to drink most of the other fluids I've been giving her (she usually drinks a goat/coconut milk mixture) so I think I should do what I can to increase my supply. Thanks for the tips.

Musical mom to DD (5/24/09) and expecting #2 in July 2011!whistling.gif
#77 of 77 Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Hi Ladies,

I am nursing my 27 mo on demand, but the pain was too much at night, so we just night weaned last week (last night was his first night ever sleeping through the night!). I was finding it VERY hard to function staying awake during feeds due to the pain and then working.  I plan on nursing during the day as long as he likes, or unless contractions start too early (concerned b/c first baby was a preemie).  Hoping that doesn't happen and my son can self-wean:)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page