going from 2 to 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? I am kind of freaking out about this. I like the one-on-one defense strategy we have going right now - I am a little scared about being outnumbered! How was this transition for you BTDT mamas? All of mine will be less than 2 years apart. Starting to get that "what was I thinking" feeling!!!!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM

I recently had my third, my kids are about 2 years apart too. I thought I'd never leave the house once I had the third. But it turned out to be no big deal. My oldest was 4 when the baby was born and she was a huge help, getting things and keeping her little sisters entertained. You just adjust because you have no choice. Now I'm going from 3 to 4 and I'm having the same freak out, like I am never going to leave the house again!

SAHM to 3 girls
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM

I heard that going from one to two is hardest because it's challenging to figure out how to handle more than one child (double trouble). And then 2+ is no big deal! - I dunno, right now just the one is driving me crazy

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

DH and I were worried about the being outnumbered thing as well! But, it all turned out to be very easy. My oldest was almost 5 and the 2nd was just turned 2. The thing that really helped with the 2yr old and new baby was that we tandem nursed, I don't think I could have handled naptime or bedtime without that. When we added baby #4, it was even easier! I don't know if it was just the boys' personalities or if it really does just get easier as you have more.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM

i found that 0 to 1 was the biggest transition. when i brought the rest home, it felt like we went for chinese take-out instead of a baby! LOL!!! i was also worried about the outnumbered thing, but it ended up not being a big deal. i had to tell myself that sometimes one is just going to have to lay at my feet whining while i take care of another and it.is.o.k. i just methodically went from one to another to another if i had to get them all ready for church, or all bathed and ready for bed, etc. my dh left for the police academy when the 3rd was 3mo, ds was 2 1/2yo, and dd was 4 1/2yo. it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. (don't get me wrong, i pulled my hair out a number of times, but it really wasn't that bad.) you'll do great!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 PM

2 to 3 was my easiest transition so far. And my husband was deployed so it was all me with 3 small children. If I can do that, then you'll probably be fine, lol. My kids were 4.5, and just turned 3 when we brought home our newborn. Adding #4 was harder, but mostly because I'm homeschooling and now it's just a matter of time and trying to fit everything in during the day.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM

I agree that 2 to 3 was an easy transition. I also worried about being outnumbered but it wasn't bad at all. I think the first was the biggest transition, then from 3-4 (but that was probably colored by her being special needs that we weren't expecting, so I hate to say going to 4 is "hard" in an of itself, yk?)

good luck..I'm sure you'll find it's smoother than you expect

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Im going from 2 to 3 as well and I think it will be a harder transition in my case. That's because my 2nd born is a much, much more difficult child than my first. Lets hope the 3rd one is easy!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 PM

I will be going from 2 to 3 also!

I was a little freaked at first, but I figure it can't be as hard as going from 1 to 2 was (0 to 1 was smooth sailing for us)! Plus, ODS will be 4 when this baby comes...so he'll be more independent and can help keep his little brother occupied

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM

I had, and continue to have, a very hard time transitioning.

But, my second is INTENSE. My third is EXTREMELY sensitive and cries at ANY injustice committed by her sister and my son is annoyed my them both (a lot of the time). Oh, and I homeschool them...so no breaks.

ETA: Saw this in new posts...sorry, DDCC.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I'm having my 3rd also so not sure yet how this is going to work. I know going from 1-2 was much different for us than 0-1. I don't really see the third being much different than two. I think it'll be a lot easier since they are older too. Baby is due in April and after DS will be 4 in June and DD 6 in Aug so we'll really only have one 'baby.' DD is excited and I'm sure will enjoy helping and DS has started getting into 'big boy' stuff like PLing and dressing himself more so I think this should be easy. Those that have 3 under 3 and 3 under 4 though I'm not sure how they do it!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Not sure if I will be joining you ladies yet (I am too chicken to take a test) but thought I would comment anyway: going from 1 to 2 was hard for us. Going from 2 to 3 was much easier. You will do fine.

Now. Someone talk me down about going from 3 to 4. We were not expecting to have to figure this out!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm one of those crazy ladies who'll have three under four, for a couple of months anyway

The transition from 0-1 was pretty rough. Going from 1-2 was pretty easy in a lot of ways, but there were some logistics that needed to be figured out since I was on my own for the first year due to deployment. I'm not too freaked out by a third, at this point I kind of just feel like, "what's one more?" I'm anticipating more laundry for sure, but everything else tends to work itself out.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I know it sounds kind of selfish, but I feel like I was just starting to see the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel". Even though my kids are still very young, they are 'easy' enough to wrangle around and I can actually leave the house all day, or, *gasp* overnight, if I really wanted to. Since I was on bedrest with my first, I really haven't had any time to spend on taking care of me.

I totally know that everything will be wonderful and our family already loves this new baby very much. I am feeling very joyful and at peace... but just a little scared... and maybe a little bit nervous

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
I know it sounds kind of selfish, but I feel like I was just starting to see the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel". Even though my kids are still very young, they are 'easy' enough to wrangle around and I can actually leave the house all day, or, *gasp* overnight, if I really wanted to. Since I was on bedrest with my first, I really haven't had any time to spend on taking care of me.

I totally know that everything will be wonderful and our family already loves this new baby very much. I am feeling very joyful and at peace... but just a little scared... and maybe a little bit nervous
I know what you mean and I battle with this a bit. Part of me would have liked to have waited until later on to add another but in some of ways I'm glad that they're close in age.

The idea of getting some pregnancy downtime is really appealing and transitioning the older kids to another stage is as well, it can be tough to be pregnant and/or breastfeeding for years on end. I do think if we have a fourth it'll be a loooooong way off.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM

We are also going from 2 to 3 and that means big changes for us. 3 in carseats means a bigger vehicle. And we are in a 2 bedroom... so of course we need a bigger place. (we rent a townhouse). YIKES. I can barely handle the 2 I have sometimes so a third is going to be interesting.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM

We are also going from 2-3 and I'm nervous about it. My 2 girls are a handful.. Not sure how we're going to cram another carseat in the car, but we'll have to figure it out.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im going from 2 to 3 as well, and am not nervous. Yet.

We will need to get a bigger vehicle, but I wanted a van anyway. We are also moving in the new year, so we will find a place where we will be comfortable having a baby.
I'm hoping that my kids are old enough that I will have enough hands to go around.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 11-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
We are also going from 2 to 3 and that means big changes for us. 3 in carseats means a bigger vehicle. And we are in a 2 bedroom... so of course we need a bigger place. (we rent a townhouse). YIKES. I can barely handle the 2 I have sometimes so a third is going to be interesting.
Just thought I'd share that we have our 3 girls in one bedroom, it's possible if your townhome will let you. Our set-up would not work yet for you, but maybe later on down the road. http://www.us-mattress.com/lk-au-triple-bunk-bed.html It's a small room, and barely fits, but with a loft, we're able to cram one dresser and a nighstand under there and the other dresser goes at the end of the bunk. It works.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
Just thought I'd share that we have our 3 girls in one bedroom, it's possible if your townhome will let you. Our set-up would not work yet for you, but maybe later on down the road. http://www.us-mattress.com/lk-au-triple-bunk-bed.html It's a small room, and barely fits, but with a loft, we're able to cram one dresser and a nighstand under there and the other dresser goes at the end of the bunk. It works.

Thanks Alisha!  We have a huge bedroom and Mairaed and Kieran have a small room, so we are swapping rooms with them this week anyways-  they are getting a train table and a wooden kitchen for the holidays and there is no room in their small room.  I woudl be willing to bet we could fit a crib, toddler bed, and a twin bed in the big bedroom..it would be nice if we could stay here in this townhouse.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 AM

We're going from 2 to 3 as well. My 2 daughters are only 17 months apart. Having a busy busy toddler and an infant was pretty difficult at times. When this baby is born, my girls will be 8 and 10 (oldest will be turning 10 on July 16). Not really sure what to expect, honestly.

Heather
Mama to two tween girls and a stillborn baby girl (7/1/12)... and now expecting baby #4 in April 2014.

Writer at The Destiny Manifest: http://www.thedestinymanifest.com

Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM

For me, my biggest transition was from 1-2.  ODD had to learn to share me, and to play by herself a bit more.  It was hard for both of us.  The transition from 2-3 is only a logistical-while out of the house alone thing.  BWing solved any issues there.  The being out alone with 3 kids and 2 hands was really the only major transition for me.

maisiedotes- first, I love your u/n and your avi.  Very cute.  As for moving, if you're giving the larger room to the children, I'd bet you'll have no problem fitting 3 little ones in there.  We have only just gotten our 3rd bedroom back b/c my "baby" brother lived with us for a bit over a year while planning his wedding.  So we had 5 kids in one (very small) room, and the baby in our room.  Berfore that we had a boys' room and a girls' room, and bought them bunk beds, but honestly, none of my kids can stand to sleep alone, so we just have 2 twin beds shoved together in the one room and they all sprawl on those together.  Now that we're setting up the separate rooms again, we're just putting the one twin in each for now, and the other bunks will be stored in the garage until someone is ready to sleep on their own.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM

I am going from 2 to 3 also, and yes, admittedly nervous! I found out 2 days ago, and honestly, when I first found out (his pregnancy was a total shocker) I felt overwhelmed. But, after telling DH and having 2 days for it to sink in, I am starting to get really excited about it!

I think we'll be allright.

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm not very much worried about going from 2 to 3, though my husband is! I'm more worried about the age differences! My oldest will be just about 13 and my youngest will be almost 8 when this baby is born. In some ways it'll be nice to have the other two old enough to help out (and independent enough to help themselves!) but it's really like starting over. I haven't changed a diaper in years. I've been sleeping very comfortably through the night for a while. For crying out loud - my oldest will be starting college in 6 short years!

As far as having more than two kids though, I figure it can't get much more difficult.

There's a quote that I like: 

Raising children is like making biscuits:  it is as easy to raise a big batch as one, while you have your hands in the dough.  ~E.W. Howe

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

User Tag List