Exercise support thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some other mama's who work out. It can be so hard to keep it going in the first trimester, with all the dizziness and nausea! Right now I'm shooting for 4-5 days a week, I do yoga twice a week and cardio and weights the other days. I'm starting out this pregancy about 30lbs above my ideal weight, so it's really important for me to stick with it! Anyone else?
#2 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Me!! I exercise at least 5 days a week. I was running about 6 miles each time I went out until this week and started to scale it back a bit. We have a treadmill and I am now using the incline to get my cardio in. I am NOT going to let my arms go to flab this time around!!! I do a lot of working out with weights - both hand weights and using my own body weight. I am also doing yoga a few times a week and can't wait to get back into the prenatal classes in a couple of months.

I am starting about 15 pounds over my ideal weight so I am hoping to not go all crazy with the weight gain. 25 pounds sounds good to me, but I am going to focus more on overall health than stress about the number.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#3 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM

I'm generally pretty active but I definitely need to settle into more of a routine. This is my first pregnancy - anything you ladies recommend? I will definitely do yoga, probably twice a week.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#4 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM

Hi Mamametis! I think that some light cardio is always really important in pregnancy if you can handle it. It feels so good to get the blood flowing and keep your endurance level up. I do light jogging at the beginning and walk on the treadmill at an incline. There are also some really great pregnancy work out videos out there. I will dig out my box and let you know which ones I have and like!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#5 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Sorry I'm not a big exerciser (besides chasing after an 18 month old) but I thought you ladies might be the best to ask - is it okay to pick up moderatley heavy things during early pg (my mom keeps telling me not too)? I noticed some of you said you do weights. Is that something you will continue?

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#6 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM

Id like to join this thread! Im aiming for 4 days a week right now of light cardio, but increasing it every couple of weeks. Im taking the next two weeks off working out (aside from running after a 22 month old) as we're high risk, but then I want to start up again. I also plan on doing prenatal yoga again, I did it with my first pregnancy and it was a life saver!

oh.. im also starting this pregnancy overweight. I didn't gain any weight with my first one and im kinda assuming I wont with this one either.. maybe even lose!

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#7 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayakas View Post
Sorry I'm not a big exerciser (besides chasing after an 18 month old) but I thought you ladies might be the best to ask - is it okay to pick up moderatley heavy things during early pg (my mom keeps telling me not too)? I noticed some of you said you do weights. Is that something you will continue?
As long as you are not high risk, I've always heard that it's fine to continue most anything you are used to doing. My mom has always told me not to lift anything as well, but that has just lead to me getting totally out of shape in previous pregancies. I do some weights on the machines at the gym and plan to continue.
#8 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Tracy- Wow! Six miles!! I'm such a wimp compared to you, I'm only doing about 20 mins on the eliptical!

I went to hatha yoga today, which I totally love. But, today we were doing a wide leg down dog and then moved our hands between our legs and let our head hang, as soon as I did this I felt a pull in my stomach. It felt alot like round ligament pain. I backed off and went back into the wide leg down dog and it felt much better. It was kindof scary though. I told the instructor that I'm pregnant, and she says that since I've been doing yoga for a while now that it should be fine to do all the positions. I'm thinking I'll have to quit some of the more abdominal ones and twisting at some point. Anyone have anymore info on poses that aren't good in pregnancy?
#9 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM

I have been running for about a year now 3 times a week typically about 3 miles at a time. Feeling too nauseous and exhausted to do much right now. Will need to scale down most definitely.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#10 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I managed to get my cardio and weight in today! DH works alot, so I am lucky enough to have a gym that lets me bring the boys with (girls are in school). They don't have a daycare or anything, but it's slow enough there that the 17 month old sits in his stroller and my 3 yr old sits beside him in a little fold out chair. I can't believe they do so well. I went about 2 miles on the elliptical and did all my leg weights! I really hope I can keep this up.
#11 of 48 Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM

i am uncertain if i will be able to stay in this due date club due to some spotting but assuming all goes well and i do i definitely am in.

i started the couch to 5k thing recently and had to stop because of some life stuff but once everything with baby is completely certainly ok i will pick that back up. i also am into bicycling. like to ride 30 to 40 miles a few times a week but the roads here are so twisty and windy with eucalyptus trees and the rain makes the roads so slick i have not been going out on rides lately just riding on trainer 30 or more minutes a day.

i am taking some time off from doing anything very strenuous exercise wise but from what i have been told and read it is ok to do some so i will keep doing some maybe wait a few days since really feeling afraid to do anything right now but emotionally exercise helps me so much. so i will at least do some walking or something.

has anyone here read
Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain ?

i just finished it and it was really fascinating and mentioned a study of women who rode stationary bike while in labor and most of them had less pain and an easier labor. was a fascinating book and really inspired me to want to exercise more than i already want to.

for a while i had been doing strength training and stopped when life got in the way but i would like to pick that up again as well.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#12 of 48 Old 10-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Yay!! Got in 4 miles on the treadmill at a 10 min pace! I am usually faster but the nausea is getting to me when my heart is pumping! Did some light upper body too!

mamaw/two, you are NOT a wimp!! I have been running since high school. It is getting harder and harder to keep up with my goals the older I get but so far so good.

Moonfroggy, I am definitely going to pick up that book. Sounds very interesting! Thanks for the rec!

#13 of 48 Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 PM

I'm here with y'all! I'm usually walk/jogging 3 miles 3 days per week, and trying to strength train (which I find boring). and then about 30-60 min. of yoga daily.
#14 of 48 Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

How's everyone doing? I didn't get any exercise in during the weekend (except the normal chasing a toddler and doing stuff with the older three!).
I did go to yoga yesterday and am planning to go again today.
#15 of 48 Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM

I am so glad this thread was started. Granted I don't start crazy MS like I had with DS I am going to try to walk a couple miles a day and lift light weights all throughout my pregnancy. We'll see....

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#16 of 48 Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I'll join in. I posted in the main chat thread but I'm trying to focus on being overall more healthy with this pregnancy. I've been doing weight training and we walk/jog together with the jogging stroller almost every day when the weather cooperates. I did yoga with my first pregnancy but it seemed to make my pelvic pain worse, I might try some different pregnancy workout DVD's this time around.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#17 of 48 Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
I did yoga with my first pregnancy but it seemed to make my pelvic pain worse, I might try some different pregnancy workout DVD's this time around.
Wow that's interesting I thought Yoga was supposed to ease pelvic pain. Good for you for doing something. I spent my first trimester last pregnancy too sick to do anything, my second too lazy and my third too big. Going to try to do it a little differently this time around.

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#18 of 48 Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunziemom View Post
Wow that's interesting I thought Yoga was supposed to ease pelvic pain. Good for you for doing something. I spent my first trimester last pregnancy too sick to do anything, my second too lazy and my third too big. Going to try to do it a little differently this time around.
I think it contributed to the pain by keeping that area looser and it made SPD pain worse. My chiro with DD's pregnancy said that some moves can aggravate it, such as moves that require parting of the legs. I didn't do any yoga with my last pregnancy and didn't have pelvic pain. I think if someone is prone to SPD then yoga is more likely to aggravate it depending on what kind of poses they're doing. I did Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea, I did really like some parts of it but I think I might try something else this time around.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#19 of 48 Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM

I worked out for 4 days and now I am taking today and tomorrow "off" because DH is super busy and can't keep an eye on the little ones. He goes to the gym at 4:30am every day so early mornings are out for me - I usually get in my workout when he gets home but he will be leaving right away. I go for walks with the kids a couple of times a day so I guess that is good movement, too

The nausea is hitting pretty hard right now so I might not be able to do as much as I would like but I am going to try. I injured my wrist and can't put any weight on my flexed hand so yoga is out for a while I am using a homeopathic analgesic cream that has helped wonderfully but I want to give it some time to heal.

Katie, swimming might be a good option for some exercise if the pelvic pain starts up again.

#20 of 48 Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I have been riding my excercise bike at home for about 40+ mins, every other day...I'm determined to be healthier and limit the weight gain this time around...

I also want to find a prenatal yoga class after the first of the year, and plan on doing some light hand weights on the days I don't ride my bike

the only time I can really excercise is at night after the boys are in bed...it's getting harder as the nausea and exhaustion are increasing, but so far I've been able to push through, and am glad I have!

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#21 of 48 Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like everyone is doing great! I, too, have suffered with SPD in past pregnancies and was really hoping the yoga would help curb that, but maybe not. I've been getting into the gym every weekday and am up to 30mins of cardio along with weights 3 days a week and do about an hour of yoga the other two. Morning sickness is just starting up and I'm beginning to worry that it might make me quit- I'm already doing better than I have with any of my other pregnancies, consistency wise. Anyone have tips on how to keep going while dealing with ms?
#22 of 48 Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM

i am getting frustrated. i am afraid to exercise much because of fear of spotting more but everything i have read it seems like exercise is probably fine. tomorrow i will go to my very easy laid back aikido class and maybe tap out of any actual throws and some point soon i will at least ride my bike to the post office and back home again. i did some jumping jacks and stretches today and the day has gone a lot better than days when i did nothing.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#23 of 48 Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 PM

I always exercise- except when im pregnant. my legs start to feel like stone and it makes me sick. but i always gain too much weight then have to work out like a maniac the year after. So with number three.....i am enrolled in a Zumba class that starts tomorrow and im anxious tonight. feel like im doing something wrong.
#24 of 48 Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM

I didn't exercise over the weekend because of my tooth pain from my crown falling out but I am getting back on the treadmill this morning. It makes me nauseous, but I need to MOVE!! I am going to start prenatal yoga next week. I know its early, but I just love the instructor at my studio and really look forward to being in her class again.

Does anyone swim? I have been thinking about heading over to the park district's indoor pool for some laps once winter hits. I love the gawking looks I get from the little older ladies when the big preggo lady hits the water! So cute!

#25 of 48 Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM

I walk about 30-60 minutes 6 days a week and practice pilates.  I plan to continue my same routine and add some light weight lifting to build up my arm muscles for holding baby.   I have a great pilates instructor who I trust will help me continue with pilates through my entire pregnancy.  I have noticed a pulling feeling when doing certain moves, nothing painful, I just figured it was my uterus stretching.   Does anyone have experience doing pilates while pregnant?  

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#26 of 48 Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebegreen View Post

I walk about 30-60 minutes 6 days a week and practice pilates.  I plan to continue my same routine and add some light weight lifting to build up my arm muscles for holding baby.   I have a great pilates instructor who I trust will help me continue with pilates through my entire pregnancy.  I have noticed a pulling feeling when doing certain moves, nothing painful, I just figured it was my uterus stretching.   Does anyone have experience doing pilates while pregnant?  

I have been noticing that during yoga, I figured it was a ligament pulling.  Since I've had round ligament pain in preg before, I'm hoping not to again so I have adjusted several positions to help make it a bit less stressful on my body.  Have you told your instructor that you are expecting?

#27 of 48 Old 11-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Metis View Post

I'm generally pretty active but I definitely need to settle into more of a routine. This is my first pregnancy - anything you ladies recommend? I will definitely do yoga, probably twice a week.

Honestly, don't eat like you are pregnant wink1.gif Eat healthy, every few hours, and drink lots of water! I was reading today that you don't need to increase calories during the first tri, then only 300 during the last 6m. Which is like a really fancy bagel with creme cheese. NOT what I was eating when PG with DS

I think I will get a yoga DVD, see if DS will let me do it. DH bought me one last time. I wonder if I still have that.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#28 of 48 Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 AM

I plan on telling my intructor once I start showing or have difficulty with movements that were previously easy for me and need special modifications.  I've read so much conflicting stuff about abdominal excercise while pregnant,  everything from don't do it at all, to nothing on your back after 3 months, to if you've done it in the past it's fine.   I plan to just tune into my body and continue to do everything I have been doing until my body tells me to slow down.  There was a woman who was in my pilates class up to a few weeks before giving birth, there were alot of movements she could'nt do, obviously laying in prone position is out but she modified most movements by standing.  

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#29 of 48 Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 AM

I teach fitness and have many clients who have exercised right up until they give birth. There is no need to change what your doing as long as your feeling good. Just listen to your body. As far as nutritional intake your not eating for two so don't go crazy. You only need between 300-500 calories more a day.

#30 of 48 Old 11-14-2010, 09:30 AM

I started trying to get into an exercise routine this month. I only manage to get in a work out 1 or 2 days a week. I've done better this week (two days in a row, hoping to make it 3 today), but I just found out I'm pg. I have a recent history of m/cs so now I'm afraid to do much. I have a prenatal dvd that I think I'll try to do 2-3 days per week, alternating with light cardio on the other days. I weigh about 150 now and should really be around 120 (115 in a dream world). I'm hoping to trade some of my excess fat weight for baby weight. Not sure how that will go. Glad you guys are here for support.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page