what is the chemical pg window? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, When are we in the clear for a chemical pg? I'm getting some conflicting info online. Some websites even say that it means you have fertilization, get a bfp, and then miscarry before implantation (but isn't implantation what causes Hcg to be produced for the bfp?). Some sites say it's miscarriage shortly after implantation. So at what point is it chemical and what point is it a plain old miscarriage? I know a woman can miscarry any time really, but when is it safe to get your heart set on the pregnancy ? I'm only 12dpo right now so it still feels very early.

good luck everyone!

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DDCC - I *think* its miscarriage shortly after implantation. 12 DPO is still too early to be out of that window. Implantation doesn't happen in an instant (or a day) either. I think after a heartbeat can be seen then its not chemical anymore.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Personally I would never call it a chemical. A baby has started to form one way or the other, and to me it's a miscarriage whether early or late.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 PM

I have to agree, I don't use the term "chemical pregnancy" either. If your body is secreting hcg enough to show up on a pg test, then *something* is going on in there, it's trying to happen then doesn't for whatever reason. So early miscarriage just covers it imo.

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM

I've read that if bleeding begins at or before 18dpo it's a chemical. Personally, I don't like the term either. In order to get a bfp, implantation has to have occurred.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM

I had an early m/c last month at 15 dpo...My FRER's just started getting lighter and lighter. I even had a positive digi at 13 dpo.

I know for me, I will feel a lot better once we see a heartbeat....

Sarah-Mommy to T (5), C (2) and baking a baby girl due in early July
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM

DDCC again - I don't think the term 'chemical pregnancy' is supposed to be a put-down or anything. Some medical things are just worded like that. I believe it is supposed to mean that the only 'proof' of pregnancy was the chemical proof. It doesn't mean the loss is any less significant, its just a different way of classifying a miscarriage.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM

I had a "chemical pregnancy" before becoming pregnant with my daughter (almost 3 now) and it was still devastating. I got the positive right as we were headed out of state to visit familly for Christmas so of course we had to share the news when we got there...and then at my first OB visit there was nothing but an empty sac on the ultrasound. So cells start to divide, enough to produce the hormones to make the test positive, but nothing continues and you get a late heavy period without actually experiencing the passing of your embryo/fetus...I also didn't like that term. I felt like I'd lost the baby I'd dreamed up in those months before conception and in those days of beaming from the positive test.

In any case, I hope all our little tiny ones are in good growing shape--I think past 5-6 weeks we are out of the "chemical" point of things, meaning a loss would simply be called a miscarriage...hope that helps.

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
DDCC again - I don't think the term 'chemical pregnancy' is supposed to be a put-down or anything. Some medical things are just worded like that. I believe it is supposed to mean that the only 'proof' of pregnancy was the chemical proof. It doesn't mean the loss is any less significant, its just a different way of classifying a miscarriage.
yep, this is what it means. the pregnancy can only be detected chemically, not "clinically" whatever that may mean. it's a fuzzy line around when it becomes detectable by ultrasound or palpation, etc., but yes, the "chemical" isn't meant to be dismissive, but just refers to how it can be detected/verified at this point. every pregnancy is a "chemical pregnancy" at some point!

(p.s. i have no business being here.)

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)

User Tag List