Who are you telling and when? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what other mama's are doing. I've told my all of my family and my yoga instructor. DH wants to hold off on telling his family, they will probably have a negative reaction as they think we have to many kids already. I'm waiting on telling friends til I have to go into maternity clothes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 PM

We've told just the people whose support we know we'd need if we had another loss: parents and siblings, 4 of my closest friends. Also my acupuncturist. Won't tell extended family and rest of friends/husband's co-workers etc till Xmas, when we'll be past 12 weeks. We really regretted telling *certain* prople so early last time when it resulted in a loss, but were really thankful for others.

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

And our rainbow is here! E babyboy.gif 10/11

Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 PM

The only people who know are MDC folks and my brother and SIL. I'm not sure when we'll tell my IL's. I'm not really comfortable sharing it with them yet. If they visit at Thanksgiving I probably won't have a choice because I'll be in maternity clothes then most likely. We told them originally we weren't going to have another baby for a year or two so this is going to be a surprise to them. If they don't figure it out then, it'll most likely be around Christmas for sure.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 PM

So far just my 2 SIL's know. I was planning on telling my MIL today but she decided not to come over and I don't want to tell her on the phone. I am not close with my parents - we are friendly and they love their grandkids, but my mom is bipolar and not on meds so she can be a little hard to deal with. I keep her at arm's length emotionally. Not sure when I will tell my family and friends, but probably in the next few weeks. I am really bad at keeping secrets - especially my own!!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM

DH knows!

Our extended family-in-law is gathering at our house this year for XMAS. I'm hoping to hold out till then, but I might change my mind. I am very close to my hubbies three sisters and I know they'd be super excited. Especially because one of them is a first-time-preggo.

After our loss in March I'm NOT telling my MIL till XMAS for sure! She was quite insensitive.

I can't decide what to do about my parents. I'll probably give in and just blurt it out (like tonight when I am visiting). But I'd like to tell them in a more exciting fashion.

I think its so exciting that XMAS falls right near the end of our first trimester! Perfect opportunity to share the news.

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Well, only dh and you all know right now. I probably won't officially tell anyone until Thanksgiving or after my first midwife appt. Although my friends will probably figure it out on Halloween since I won't be partaking in, um, certain activities they all figured it out last time pretty quick.

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM

i told my mom and dad, my sil- and she told her dh- but that's pretty much it. I have a few friends and family who knew we were doing fertility treatment this cycle, so i don't know if they are assuming that it didn't work, or are being polite and not asking. My mom was all over it, tho-she knew exactly when she should be expecting to hear! I'm going to tell my bro this weekend, and maybe a few of my old friends. I've had 2 losses and hadn't told anyone aside for dh- so inorder to get some support i had to say- i was pregnant, but i'm not anymore I don't ever want to do that again. so i'm ok telling people that i woulod want to know if i loose this one.

I think that it's pretty cool that we are out of the first trimester by christmas- so that will make for some interesting ways to share the news!

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 PM

We had to tell the kiddos (mommy exhausted and puking) so that means everyone is going to know. Our homeschool group (and many of my friends) found out today. I already told my parents, grandparents and best friend. I am such a dork I can't hold it in!

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM

I've told all of my close friends, but am waiting on casual friends, at least until after 8 weeks or so. Once our kids find out, everyone will know. We're going to try to get an early dating u/s, so I was thinking we might copy it and send it in a card to my parents. We've done something unique the last two times, I'd like to do something cooler than that to tell them, but I'm not sure what. We have thought about waiting until Christmas, but I'll be 14 weeks or so by then and I'm just not sure I can keep it from my kids that long. We're also really bad at keeping secrets. We'll tell dh's parents at Thanksgiving time when we're with them.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM

DH, my sisters, and...three of my friends know. I have a big mouth

Amber~ Loving Partner to Dale, and Mommy to Kain (9-2007), and one angel baby.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM

So far, DH, my Mom and one coworker/friend know. I think we will go ahead and tell the rest of our family (his side and mine, probably including siblings) in the next couple of days. For other friends, and to make it public, I think I will wait at least another month, or after Thanksgiving.

DH and I expecting our first EDD 6/30/11! 
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM

DH of course. I heavily hinted to my mom (and I'm sure she blabbed to my dad) even though I wasn't supposed to because we have to tell both sets of grandparents at the *same time*. But a girl's gotta to tell her momma everything, right?!

I think we'll officially tell the grandparents and our siblings after the first doc appointment (poss 6 weeks) and everyone else around the end of the first trimester.

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM

I saw this shirt and thought it would be funny to send it to my MIL, with grandma to the third power. Not sure if I will or not.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
I saw this shirt and thought it would be funny to send it to my MIL, with grandma to the third power. Not sure if I will or not.
That is super cute! Great idea!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Katie, what a cute shirt!

DH knows (of course ), friends on here, and so does a friend of ours who originally went through fertility treatments when I did to conceive DS. She knew we were in the process again and I couldn't lie when she asked.

We also told me my mom because she was supposed to be out of town from June 28 to July 2nd!!! eek! she actually bought her tickets the day before we told her! She'll be staying in town now to help watch DS while we're in the hospital.

Im not sure when we will tell everyone else.. I imagine at Christmas probably. We waited until I was 4 months and couldn't hide it anymore to tell everyone last time. There are a couple friends who ill end up telling before Christmas - one of them we're supposed to be flying to Vegas for her wedding in September 2011, but we wont be going now and I hate to leave her hanging.

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM

8 weeks we will tell both our folks, nans and grandads. Im not sure about Aunties and uncles.. Hmmm

12 weeks I will tell close friends..

and the world... they can weight til I feel like annoncing it... I dont know when il get round to telling casual friends, I porbs wont and they can be told when they find out through some other means..

0******8***12***16***20***24***28***32** * 36***40
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM

I was so excited to get my BFP I told way too many people. Oh well!

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 AM

So far the only people who know are y'all and my 2.5 year old son. I will probably be telling parents tonight or sometime later this week but everyone else including the rest of the family I am hoping to wait until after the holiday season.

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunziemom View Post
I was so excited to get my BFP I told way too many people. Oh well!
Lol I'm a blabbermouth. Ive told everyone!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 PM

DH, people who check out this due date club and the diabetic mommies forum, and our whole medical team (we are high risk). We plan to tell family at Christmas, if we can wait that long, and friend and co-workers sometime after that. I think people will start to figure it out pretty soon. My bust and bum are already much bigger and I gave up caffeine. Everyone knows me as a true coffee junkie, so people are already dropping hints that they know.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DH knows, of course.
4 of my friends know.
And people online. Oh, and my midwife. lol

That's it for now. I'm thinking we'll tell at Thanksgiving.

Our kids don't even know yet, and I'm not sure when we'll tell them.

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM

We're not really in the mood to tell anyone, actually. My mother is generally pretty negative (I think she is clinically depressed) and I don't really want to talk to her about this pregnancy until it's further along. She was pretty unhelpful when I had a miscarriage a few years ago, so I'm not planning on her support if anything happens. Dh's family will be excited but surprised, I think. With the first two kids, it feels like everyone's excited and happy for us, but with the third, I feel like the reaction is going to be, "what makes you think you can handle another kid?" So we'll tell the family around 12 weeks, maybe later. I'll tell my friends at 12 weeks, though I suspect one close friend will figure it out sooner.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM

I've told a couple of people.  My 2 closest friends, and my MW.  A few online friends.  DH told his 2 closest friends today, but everyone has been asked not to tell anyone.  We haven't told family yet.  I'm feeling kind of reserved about it.  I know we'll get a whole lot of bad reactions and I don't want to deal with them.  DH's sister is also pregnant with her 1st, and her shower is this weekend, so I want to at least wait until after then.  After that, I guess we'll just kind of see.  Really depends on how bad my m/s gets this time around.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

So far, I've only told DH, and a close friend who was TTC at the same time we were (she's a month ahead of us smile.gif ). I've also told the folks at my Cardiologists office, because I take anticoagulents (blood thinners) to keep my prosthetic heart valve from clotting, and I needed to switch to a medication safer for pregnancy (they weren't thrilled, but mostly because pregnancy complicates my medical care...) I also told my midwife, whom I saw this morning, even though I'm still only 4-5ish weeks past conception because I need to get a referral to the high-risk pregnancy clinic, and that can take a little while.

I'm going to visit my dad, brother, sis and BIL this weekend, and I might tell them, depending on how things go... Sis and BIL will be happy, but Dad will be pretty critical. We had several losses last year, so we'll probably wait to tell family until we're sure this one is sticky.  

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM

So far the only other person that knows is DH. With both previous pregnancies, we told right away, but this time I am waiting until Thanksgiving. I will be 6 weeks. We plan on telling evreyone when we're all surrounding the dinner table. 

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 PM

I've told too many people, or at least I feel like I have.  We've told my mom and siblings, my two best friends and consequently their husbands, and I told two of my coworkers.  Oh, and my midwives, my OB and his nurse (who is friends with my mom).  I think I'm going to tell my MIL next week before DH and I leave on a trip and she stays at my house to watch my DS.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM

I've told *most* people, but I'm keeping it off FB until we're good and stuck...at least another month.  Most people knew when we transfered so it would be silly for me to try and pretend.  But there are some FB "friends" that don't need to know yet.  The ones I want to share with, I've done so in other ways.  Plus I need a support system and these are my people!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 AM

So far the only ones who know are my husband, my best friend and MDC. smile.gif I'm not planning to tell family for another month or so... until we feel more comfortable that the threat of miscarriage is past.

Heather
Mama to two tween girls and a stillborn baby girl (7/1/12)... and now expecting baby #4 in April 2014.

Writer at The Destiny Manifest: http://www.thedestinymanifest.com

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM

So far the only people that know are my DH, a friend who lives far away, MDC and a close friend of the family who is also a doc and she's running my labs for me right now. With my last pregnancy, we waited until about 10 weeks before we started telling people and then I lost the baby at 11w5d. So I'm not sure when we will start telling most people this time. I am pushing for an early ultrasound so maybe we'll feel more comfortable once we see the baby's heartbeat.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Our first baby, we are so excited it has been hard not to tell the world!   I'm about 6 weeks. We told our parents this week, they are so happy for us and this will be their first grandchild. We plan to tell my brother and sister and his sister on Thanksgiving weekend.  They are all sworn to secrecy because we want to be the ones to share the news with the extended family at Christmas. After the New Year we'll make it public knowlege to our friends.  I love having this special news to share at the holidays!

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

User Tag List