PAL (pregnancy after loss) mama's - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had my first real midwife appointment today, at eighteen weeks on the dot. It went well and she helped a fair amount with my anxiety. I scheduled my next visit as well as my anatomy scan. With my son, an OB did the scan and we knew right then that she didn't see any problems, but now they send women down to the imaging center and I will see a tech. Does that mean I won't know right away what the "results" are? Anyway, it is scheduled for March 10 and I'll definitely be back here before then.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My experience has always been that u/s techs are not supposed to discuss anything they see. The person may be able to tell you whether you have a boy or a girl but anything medical should be left to the interpretation of the doctor. That doesn't mean that all techs keep their mouths shut.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm glad your appointment went well, javilu

Most of my techs have given me some clues, if not downright analysis.  At my last ultrasound I asked the tech and she did say that she wasn't supposed to tell me but that she didn't see anything concerning.  At the one before that (with the slightly-enlarged nuchal fold translucency), the tech didn't say a word, but her demeanor changed dramatically from the beginning (when she was laughing & joking) to the end (when she was cold & professional).  So I sort of figured it out.  I've also had a tech who did a full analysis the whole time, which was great, but probably not super appropriate. 

I am 20 weeks today!  LO is still wiggling around like crazy.  I may actually be starting to relax about everything. 

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Ah...makes me wish the OBs were still doing the ultrasounds.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 PM

Most u/s techs won't tell you much. The one at 9 weeks that tech completely kept a straight face while she measured and then when dh came in she told us there were three and tried to show us everything. Last u/s the tech didn't say much - gave us one pic of each just down to business. The one today was awesome. She chatted a bit, explained how they were laying all that. Then she went to get dh, dd and my mom and she told them that this makes her day. So I asked her to check for gender and all THREE are GIRLS!!!! So we will be parents to five girls. Life should be crazy around here. We are scared of how much drama there will be, the two are already enough. But it will be great. We also met with a social worker today who showed us the rooms for bedrest, the operating room, nicu etc. She also told us that they really try to get triplet moms a private room. If she is working when you have the babies, she will take your camera to get pictures of the babies in the adjoining room that the NICU uses to work on the babies immediately after birth. So it was a long morning but a pretty positive experience.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 PM

OMG, Leslie!!!  Three more girls, how wonderful!  joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif 

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM

Congratulations on your three girls! 

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM

3 girls! Wonderful! joy.gif

The set up at my current MFM doc's place is different. His assistant does the scans but she can give me an analysis. The doc is usually in the room the whole time taking notes of everything his assistant says. Once she's done, he does a quick scan himself. At all the other places I've been, either the doc does the scan and can tell me everything or a tech does the scan and isn't supposed to say a thing.

I'm still trying to reschedule my Level II u/s. I need to do it soon because my dh is leaving. I hope 19+ weeks is late enough to easily see the gender. I'm convinced it's another boy so that would make 4 boys for me. Close to the same as 5 girls, with a whole different type of drama. lol.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM

We got the results of our amnio back and the baby does not have Down Syndrome.  It hasn't quite hit me yet, I think.  I was so expecting to hear that she did have it, and I had really accepted that.  I guess I'm not sure how to feel. 

Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Wow, No5no5- that's a pretty big roller coaster. I'm glad you got the results you were perhaps hoping for, not what you expected. I'm sure that it will take some time to wrap your head around it. Hang in there!

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

3 girls! Wonderful! joy.gif

The set up at my current MFM doc's place is different. His assistant does the scans but she can give me an analysis. The doc is usually in the room the whole time taking notes of everything his assistant says. Once she's done, he does a quick scan himself. At all the other places I've been, either the doc does the scan and can tell me everything or a tech does the scan and isn't supposed to say a thing.

I'm still trying to reschedule my Level II u/s. I need to do it soon because my dh is leaving. I hope 19+ weeks is late enough to easily see the gender. I'm convinced it's another boy so that would make 4 boys for me. Close to the same as 5 girls, with a whole different type of drama. lol.gif

With dd2 we found out at 19w and this time I was 18w1d and it didn't seem like any problem to tell the gender. I'm sure you'd really like to have it before he leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post

We got the results of our amnio back and the baby does not have Down Syndrome.  It hasn't quite hit me yet, I think.  I was so expecting to hear that she did have it, and I had really accepted that.  I guess I'm not sure how to feel. 

I don't know what to say. I get that you were getting used to the idea of having a dd with Down Syndrome. You deal with the reality that life gives you? When we found out we were having triplets it was horrifying. But you get used to reality quick. I'm sure losing one of them would have been devastating. Not what we wanted at first, but what we had already accepted. I'm sure this is something that you and your dh need to think about and adjust your thinking. Have you picked a name for your baby girl yet?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliesara63 View Post

Have you picked a name for your baby girl yet?

Not yet.  We really like long, unusual names, but we had been thinking that we needed something more on the normal side if she had DS.  It just seemed like she wouldn't need anything else to make her stand out, yk?  So we've got to revise our list of possibilities now.  But we won't name her until birth anyway.  I certainly don't envy you, picking out THREE new girl names!!!

I really had made myself stop hoping that she didn't have DS.  While of course I wouldn't wish any hardship (which DS undeniably is) on my child, I had been focusing on the positives, and I am a bit sad that we won't get that experience.  It doesn't help that everyone else in my family is 100% thrilled with the news ("I knew it all along!") etc.  Really, I am happy too, just not in the same way as my family.  Who knows; maybe we'll adopt a child with DS someday.  love.gif 

Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 AM

no5 ~ Glad the uncertainty is over for you.

leslie ~ I can't remember if you said. Are any of your babies identical or are they all fraternal?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just posting to say I've been thinking about everyone in this thread. Hugs!!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM

We think they are two identical and one fraternal. So far they are Audrey & Sophia. Some of the choices for the third name are Nadia, Simone, Hope, Nina, Greyson, Neve and not much else. We always thought picking girl names was so easy. Maybe not with five girls. I go back for another u/s on Tuesday and dd1 is really hoping that they were wrong and one of them is a boy. We really don't care. Three girls is good but a mixture would have been ok too. I'm done work this week and can't wait to start napping everyday!

How is everyone else doing?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 AM

leslie ~ That sounds like a lot of fun. Picking names this time around has been really hard for us. We've got 3 boys so I can't find a boy name that I like that isn't too close to something we've already used. We've had the same girl name since I got pg with out first when we lived in Hawaii. That was over 7 years ago now and we don't live in Hawaii anymore so I feel like it doesn't apply. Of course, we can't agree on a girl name, either. My dh doesn't like change so he thinks we should just leave it as it is. We probably won't need it anyway. He leaves very soon so I keep joking that this baby may not be named until s/he is 9 months old. lol.gif

I've got my level II u/s Friday. I'm hoping to find out gender then.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM

I've got my big ultrasound tomorrow. I'm really nervous. I've read too many scary stories. I have really messed myself up with worry - most of the time I have a hard time seeing myself with a new baby at the end of this. S/he's been kicking more now, trying to convince me that s/he really exists. I worry I messed the baby up with my asthma medicine or something.

Anyway, late last week my husband and I got food poisoning and I ended up going to the ER for fluids. Saw the same great doctor I had with my bleeding episode. I feel like sending him a birth announcement come July and we don't even do birth announcements!

20w1d and starting to feel noticeably better, nausea-wise. Also, my son started swimming lessons yesterday and the sun is shining today. I pray everything goes well tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM

hug.gif javilu. I'm sure everything will be fine tomorrow. Are you going to find out the gender?

I started feeling really good around 14w. I had a burst of energy and a huge increase in my appetite. It lasted about a month. I'm 19w4d now and I've been feeling bad for about 2 weeks now. My energy level has dropped. I wake up feeling tired and sick. I eat and feel sick and full. Ugh! I thought the 2nd trimester bliss was supposed to last longer. I had my 2nd chiropractic adjustment today for sciatic pain. It gets so bad sometimes that I can't roll over in bed or walk. The adjustments help but they make me nervous. The chiropractor (and everyone other one I've ever asked) assures me that it's safe.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM

21 weeks...it feels surreal that I'm more than half way to the finish line...and for some sick reason I am really happy that no matter what happens this cannot be another "miscarriage."  For some reason losing Parker at 16 weeks and having it be "just a miscarriage" was maddening...I lost my son, my baby boy died...but it was "just a miscarriage."  No matter what happens with this little guy now he at least would get to be a stillborn...I'm hoping with all hope that we end up with a kicking screaming crying baby this time around...but for now I will be happy that we our out of miscarriage territory.  Maybe it is just me but it feels like a milestone.  This little guy also likes to kick me to reassure me that he's still around...seems so surreal that I might have a baby at the end of this really long journey!

Names are proving to be really really tricky....girl's name would have been Elizabeth and we would have called her Elle or Libby...but for a boy I'm stumped. 

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Leslie, I think all those names are great.  DH & I have yet to agree on one possibility, so I think you're ahead of the game.  Yay for getting to take it easy soon!  I can't imagine how much you must need that.

javilu, I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Good luck.  goodvibes.gif

MarineWife, I don't know what happened to my second trimester either.  I've given up on having one this pregnancy.  Somehow I've already got most of my third trimester ailments from last time, even though my first trimester blah is still hanging around.  I'm just really tired of being tired.

Mommy Kahdib, it's not just you.  I felt the exact same way.  I remember telling my sister at 19 weeks, "I've only got a week left to have a miscarriage.  After that it'll be a stillbirth!"  She just had no idea what to say.  So I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels that way.  thumb.gif

AFM, gosh, we're all more or less the same here.  Looking forward to spring, as my coat is barely fitting these days. 

Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 AM

In the waiting room. feeling nervous and the full bladder isn't helping!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javilu View Post

In the waiting room. feeling nervous and the full bladder isn't helping!

hug.gif  I hope you get/got good news today.  fingersx.gif

Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM

i don't know for sure if everything is totally okay, but i did get a good vibe from the tech, along with a ton of pictures. one thing is for sure, though - it' a BOY!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM

ooh! good news Javilu! a boy- that's exciting, and good vibes are good joy.gif

reading the other posts here, I think it's helped me define the shift i had a few weeks ago- it was the shift from miscarriage to stillbirth. I'm 24 weeks on saturday- which puts me into viability. It blows my mind that i could potentially have a surviving baby so soon. But the Big But for me is that my daughter was 6 weeks early. she was ok, but we had to work so hard. I'm thinking i have a bit of residual trauma from that whole experience that i'm trying to work out. I'm not afraid of loosing this baby any more, im afraid of the premie factor- here's to hoping this little muffin can hold on for the duration! all our little ones! 

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 AM

joy.gifjavilu, that's great!  When will you get the final word on the results?  Soon, I hope. 

Yay, slippy, for hitting viability!  That's a big milestone for me (I'm not there yet), but DH gets so stressed out at the thought of a preemie that I can't even really mention it to him.  It stresses me out too, but not nearly as much as the thought of a stillbirth.  cold.gif

Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 AM

javilu ~ I'm so glad things looked good. joy.gif for another boy! Do you have names now?

Why the full bladder? I'm going for my u/s today and was not told to have a full bladder. I remember having to do that 20+ years ago when I was pg with #1 but never had to do it with #2 or #3. (Not that it matters because after an hour and half drive my bladder will be full regardless. lol.gif)

slippy ~ That's a big milestone. 24w is viable now? Wow! I thought it was 29+ weeks.

I've been thinking about the miscarriage vs. stillborn discussion. That had never even occurred to me. I think a stillbirth would be much more traumatic for me than a miscarriage. But all my miscarriages occurred very early so there wasn't really a baby to look at and feel like miscarriage didn't apply.

My kids have all gone at least a day over their EDDs so I'm not very concerned about having a preemie, either. I know it's a possibility but I don't think it's very likely for me. Whenever I hear or read about someone else who has just had a preemie, I worry. I think that would be very traumatic to me, too. I don't think I could leave my baby at a hospital, especially since I'm not even planning to go to one. The whole thing is just too much for me to consider.

FWIW, I've had 2 friends who's firsts were early. They were concerned that all their subsequent babies would be early, too. They ended up waiting past their EDDs with #s 2 and 3 and getting very anxious because they had convinced themselves the babies would be early.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night feeling very sick. I thought I was going to throw up. I ended up awake for a couple of hours with diahrrea. Anyway, I started thinking about my u/s and realized that I'm more worried than I thought. We have planned for my dh to stay home with the LOs while I go by myself. It's a long drive and then a long ultrasound and a tiny room so the kids would get very restless. They've already expressed that they do not want to go. Now I'm thinking maybe I should make my dh come in case I need him. IDK I don't want to force the kids and have to listen to all the fussing about it, though.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Good luck today MW. I know the struggle with needing DH to be with you but not wanting to go through the hassle of dragging the kids along. I hope you can figure out a solution that's best for you.

I've been thinking about the viability thing a lot. I watch the Duggars (19 Kids and Counting) and their last baby was born at 25 weeks and she was SOOOOOO tiny! I think from 24-27 weeks they are referred to as micro preemie. I'm 21 weeks and the thought of delivering this little one now breaks my heart whenever I think about it. I'm fairly certain the Duggar baby was in the hospital well past her due date and she had and still has so many issues.

I'm jealous of all you ladies already at your anatomy scan! Mine isn't until next Friday! I feel like it is taking forever to get to. I was having a really rough time earlier this week. I thought about posting but intellectually, I knew it was all in my head and I just needed to let it go. But I had a couple of days there where I was second guessing all the movement I would feel and then if I didn't feel the baby in the morning, I would freak out. Also, the shape of my stomach changed and I felt like I could almost completely suck in my belly and make it disappear. But this morning, right after I woke up, this little one did such a somersault that it almost made me throw up! And then DH put his hand on my stomach and he was able to feel her moving around for the first time! It was so amazing. I know she's in there and that she's fine but I just get so freaked out sometimes! I know you ladies can understand that.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Yep, I know how you feel, Annie. Even with all the movement I feel, I still need to check for baby's heartbeat a few times a week. My dh was able to feel baby move for the first time yesterday. I really wanted that to happen before he left. He said he wasn't sure if it was the baby or a gas bubble but it had to be the baby but my stomach and intestines are pushed up much further than his hand was. He's such a goof sometimes.

We've decided to all go to the u/s today. DH will just take the kids out if they get too restless. My level II was originally scheduled for 2 weeks from now but I got it pushed up by declining the fetal echocardiogram. That was, apparently, the only reason to have it so late (22 weeks) and from everything I've read and was told it is not necessary for me at this point. I'm 19w6d today so we still should be able to see all the organs just fine and gender if baby will cooperate.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 AM

goodvibes.gifMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

But I had a couple of days there where I was second guessing all the movement I would feel and then if I didn't feel the baby in the morning, I would freak out. Also, the shape of my stomach changed and I felt like I could almost completely suck in my belly and make it disappear. But this morning, right after I woke up, this little one did such a somersault that it almost made me throw up!

I've had a few days like this too.  Then yesterday, she was like a little acrobat all day.  Total relief, yk?  I'm sure she was kicking like crazy all along; she was just probably kicking my back or something.  Also, I feel like what happens is that my stomach seems huge and then it seems the same for a while, then it seems huge, then it seems the same.  And when it's not huge, I always feel like it's getting smaller.  Of course it's not really. 

Old 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Back from my u/s. It went well. The doc said things couldn't look any better. I'm definitely having another boy. I could tell even before the tech started looking. Baby was moving around the entire time but I only felt it a few random times. The tech kept commenting that he wouldn't stay still. I think he has an aversion to ultrasound because he always moves away from the fetal doppler when my MW is trying to get his heart rate, too.

User Tag List