First Timer - Stupid questions need answering! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well the title says it all... First timer, was trying for 15 cycles.. and I just got a few questions really...

What Week do you start showing? ISH...

When does morning sickness (if you get it) usually kick in and end ish ?

At the moment I dont feel any different.. but im only 4+2

0******8***12***16***20***24***28***32** * 36***40
#2 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 AM

Congratulations! All of those things are different for everyone, but for my first time around I didn't start really showing until 5 months, and even then it was just a tiny belly. This time I keep thinking I'm showing, but it's just that first trimester bloat.

My morning sickness kicked in last time just after 7 weeks. I'm 7 weeks today, so just waiting for it...last time it was done by 13/14 weeks. I've had friends have it for 20+ weeks though!

Hope you are enjoying the early days of pregnancy!

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#3 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 AM

Congratulations!!!!

I didn't start to show until I was about 4.5 months along last time, I think it depends on your height and how you are carrying your baby. I also didn't have any bloating in the first tri, but this time around I have a ton!

Morning sickness - I was nauseous from day one, but didn't start to throw up until about 10 weeks. From there I was throwing up daily (even with the meds to reduce the barfies) until my son was born!

Good luck

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#4 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Congrats!!!

With my first I started showing a tiny bit around 16 weeks (but I was super skinny and it was just a little pooch belly) and it was very obvious there was a baby in there around 22 weeks.

First time around morning sickness came around 7 weeks, but the last 2 times it started earlier (I am holding back puke right now and I am barely 6 weeks). I think that one is really different for everybody, but around 6-8 weeks seems to be the average. Some people don't get ms at all - and there are a lot of people who will say that bad ms = healthy pregnancy, but trust me - I worked in Ob/Gyn for years and what it comes down to is that some people are sick and others are not. That's just the way it is! I had patients on a PICC line for ms and others who did not even know that they were pregnant until they were 12 weeks!

It goes by fast! Enjoy the ride!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#5 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM

First time around I didn't start showing until past 5 months. I had horrible morning sickness that started right at 6 weeks and ended at 12. That's actually how I clued in that I might be pregnant, I woke up one morning and I had uncontrollable vomiting. I thought I had the flu! Ha ha! And I then proceeded to have every horrible pregnancy symptom known. But everyone is different so every experience is different.

Congrats on your pregnancy! It'll be an exciting journey ahead!

SAHM to 3 girls
#6 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Congratulations! I started showing at 14 weeks with #1 and was in maternity pants by then. I'm super short. I didn't have ms the first time, but started up around 7 weeks with DD and it lasted until 15 weeks or so.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#7 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Your first pregnancy is so exciting! congrats!

I didn't show til I was 6 months. I think your anatomy, how you are carrying, and abdominal strength has a lot to so with this.

I hope you don't get MS. It just plain sucks and lasts all day. It started for me around 7 weeks.

I am 4 weeks and a couple days as well and the only real symptom I have is I need to sleep a little more and feel a more tired during the day.

HTH!

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#8 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Morning sickness kicked in badly (throwing up every day; lost 10 pounds) at 7 weeks and lasted until a couple weeks into the second trimester.

I can't remember when I started to show but - you may be interested - I remember feeling baby moving at around 13 weeks which is considered the early side.

p.s. these questions aren't stupid. We've all had them and thousands more!

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#9 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone, Lots of great answers!

Also is there any foods i should be avoiding, the only one i know is stuff like sushi and making sure all meat is well cooked!..?

and caffeine... should i stop drinking tea?
At the moment I have about 3-4 cups a day except weekends were i dont have any
I would have no problem cutting this down to 1-2 a day ..

#10 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM

I'm sure someone has the official list but off the top of my head:
raw fish/meat, excessive tuna/shellfish/other mercury-heavy seafood, certain soft cheeses, raw milk, deli meat, runny eggs (yes, with the holidays coming up that means no licking the bowl of cake batter or eating raw cookie dough!!).

And no more than 200mg of caffeine?

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#11 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM

CLH I would cut back on the tea if its not herbal and contains caffeine. Also if it is green tea try to switch to something else because green tea interferes with the absorbsion of folic acid and that is a vital nutrient to your baby's health.

#12 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Well this stuff is different for everyone and can be different for every pregnancy you have. With my first 2 I didn't start showing until abour 4-5 months. This time I'm 4 months and have been showing. I didn't have morning sickness at all with #1, with #2 it was a little nausea in the 1st trimester but that was it, with this one I'm 15 wks and still nausea. Ugh! I think the standard though for MS to kick in is around 7/8 wks for most women and showing starts around 5 mos on average for a first.

As far as food I'm not sure about any others besides what you listed. The rest of the food you should avoid will depend on your pregnancy I think. I'm avoiding red sauces and anything too spicy because of this baby's preference. In fact all food is very bland for me right now to keep from getting sick.

Caffeine should be at least cut back if not avoided but I don't think a glass of tea now and then will cause much harm, JMO. I started using a decaf tea though because I like my tea and didn't want to give it up or be taking in too much caffeine so that may be an option for you too.

And just for the record NO question is a stupid question when it comes to pregnancy! And I don't care if it's your 1st or your 15th! (To prove this: I went to the ER because of round ligament pain with my 1st. I didn't know! )

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#13 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

mayakas - Thanks for the list ... Lucky I dont eat alot of fish and hate soft cheese. I do like runny eggs though .. and deli meat! but I just wont have it!

bunziemom - Its just normal tea, got any herbal recomendations ? I dont really drink herbal tea but i will give it a go!

crazyms - Thanks, I think i will just cut back to one cup of decaf tea in the morning when i first get up! and try some herbal teas as long as there ok ?

I only drink tea during the day at work, weekend or after work I drink squash!

and Thanks, it feels like I know hardly anything now even though iv read loads of posts

#14 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM

If you like deli meat, I think it's okay to eat if you heat it through.... (they say "until steaming")

#15 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Congratulations!!!

My first, I started needing loser clothes by the end of the first trimester, and really, I wanted to be showing, so we'll say I was showing by 14 weeks. But I doubt if everyone else thought I was showing much until more like 18ish weeks.

Morning sickness has begun around 5-6 weeks with all of mine (boy included), peaking between 7-11 weeks, then gradually easing up. But I have tons of friends who never had any morning sickness. If you do get morning sickness, I'm sure there will be threads here within another few weeks discussing natural remedies. Protein is key, particularly beans, they seem to help a little.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#16 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH_X3 View Post
bunziemom - Its just normal tea, got any herbal recomendations ? I dont really drink herbal tea but i will give it a go!
I'm drinking one by traditional medicinals that's called pregnancy tea. It's very soothing and has a mild flavor. It contains herbs that are safe and beneficial in all stages of pregnancy.

#17 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning because I really enjoy it and don't believe that a little caffeine is harmful (just like most things in moderation). You may notice some rather unpleasant headaches if you stop caffeine suddenly so I would taper down instead of just quitting cold turkey. You may find, though, that as the weeks progress you will have lost your taste for caffeinated beverages (this usually happens to me around the 3rd month or so).

Ginger tea is a delicious non-caffeinated alternative. I also like Yogi Tea's decaf chai and the Traditional Medicinals Organic Pregnancy Tea. I drink herbal teas all day, especially in the winter because we keep the heat turned down so low

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#18 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH_X3 View Post
Thank you everyone, Lots of great answers!

Also is there any foods i should be avoiding, the only one i know is stuff like sushi and making sure all meat is well cooked!..?

and caffeine... should i stop drinking tea?
At the moment I have about 3-4 cups a day except weekends were i dont have any
I would have no problem cutting this down to 1-2 a day ..
My doctor said that there is no problems with eating sushi, that you could get food poisoning anywhere, including your own home. I ate sushi the whole time while I was pregnant with my son and have already had it 3 times with this baby.

I know that caffeine is a bad one though.

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#19 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Sorry for the double post.. does anyone know if the Traditional Medicine's pregnancy tea has raspberry leaf in it?

I was told by my doctor and doula that raspberry leaf can increase your chance of miscarriage so I avoid it obviously, but im always looking for a new tea

#20 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensearth View Post
Sorry for the double post.. does anyone know if the Traditional Medicine's pregnancy tea has raspberry leaf in it?
Yes it does have a small amount of RL. There are mixed opinions on RL. I personally have had no problem with RL and have used it throughout my last pregnancy with no problems. I did have a 6 hour and very uneventful labor.

#21 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunziemom View Post
Yes it does have a small amount of RL. There are mixed opinions on RL. I personally have had no problem with RL and have used it throughout my last pregnancy with no problems. I did have a 6 hour and very uneventful labor.
Thanks!

I am so jealous of your 6 hour labor! I went 31 hours of active labor, had my heart start to fail around hour 18 because I kept refusing any pain medication (they compared what happened to me to being tortured to death) and ended up with a csection. Looking back on it, my doctor really gave me every possible chance of a natural birth, so I can't complain.

#22 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 PM

I know they say no sushi or deli meat or soft cheese but I ate all of those in my pregnancy last time. I think the important thing to do is make sure the food was prepared and stored properly. And I felt that if I really had a craving for something I was going to eat it! I didn't eat a whole lot of these things but a little here and there and at special occasions.
I also drank a caffeinated tea once a week after the first tri.
Anyway, I think Traditional Medicinals has sigle herb teas too, you can get just Nettle or just Red Raspberry Leaf. I love Nettle! It is dark and rich so if you like regular teas you might like it too!
Just my opinions!

And I think I went to buy maternity clothes around 18-20weeks with my first. And that's about when I felt first movement too!
Morning sickness came on about 7 weeks, and although I never threw up I would feel queasy. Foods began to taste differently. And usually if I ate something as soon as I felt queasy I would be ok. So I believe with me at least it was related to blood sugar. Being sure to always have a snack on me really helped.

Congratulations on your first!! Such a wonderful and special time

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#23 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 05:23 AM

I  am currently having 1 1/2 cups of half regular, half decaf in the morning (coffee).  My midwife had told me unless I am drinking a large amount, no need to worry.  I can't function without a little caffiene.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#24 of 26 Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM

An idea for your tea:  you can pull 60 - 80% of the caffiene out of your tea by steaping it for about a minute, dumping the tea, and starting again with fresh water.  Most of the caffiene goes down the drain!  It's actually supposed to be healthier than decaf tea that isn't decaf natually.  (Tons of info on google if you look.) 

smile.gif 

#25 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 AM

ooo that is a good idea!!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#26 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensearth View Post

My doctor said that there is no problems with eating sushi, that you could get food poisoning anywhere, including your own home. I ate sushi the whole time while I was pregnant with my son and have already had it 3 times with this baby.

Ditto that.  You're more likely to get sick from poorly cooked chicken than by eating sushi.  Just be wary of the types of fish for mercury content.

As for the OP's questions...I started showing by 12 weeks, but it wasn't obvious to stranges until around 20 weeks.  And according to my notes from last time, I started to get real morning sickness at about 7 weeks.  I hope it says that way this time around for me (I'm going on a trip just before 6 weeks).

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page