Who's preg. was a surprise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just totally stunned. We swore we were done, to the point where my husband wouldn't come near me till he got "fixed". It happened once and he swore he would... well, to be delicate, stop before he finished. Well, he didn't and here we are. I am starting to be happy but at first I was very upset. I feel so guilty saying that.. but I am getting used to the idea. I have noticed alot of others saying this was a surprise for them.. just wondering if anyone else has mixed feelings.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM

This was definitely a surprise for us!

We had a condom mishap a few weeks ago, and then held our breath for a couple of weeks.

It was so funny, DD is 22 months and her favorite thing to say is "Uh Oh!" I was watching the second line turn pink on the test and DD piped up really lout "Uh Oh!" I had to laugh and said, "Yep, you're right.. Uh Oh indeed!"

We were planning to take some permanent steps to ensure we didn't get pregnant again. I guess we put it off too long.

I was a little upset at first, but I've had some time to get used to the idea (five days) and now I'm getting excited. A little concerned about how I'll deal with two munchkins, but excited none-the-less. Our DD is such a joy, I know that this one will be too!

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#3 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean- I can't imagine life without my kids. We almost stopped trying after my first loss and had we stopped, we wouldn't have our beautiful babies.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#4 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Kerri, congratulations! We'll be due date buddies again! Definitely a surprise for me and I'm still struggling with completely accepting it.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#5 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM

HUGE surprise!! I was charting and must have some fluctuations due to my DD nursing more aggressively recently. I ovulated on day 8!!! I never ovulate that early. About 8 hours after we DTD, the cm changed and I just KNEW that something was up. Sure enough, 9 days later, I had a faint line. Never, ever would have thought!!!

I am feeling a little overwhelmed but for the most part all is well. I do think this will be our last - both DH and I are getting older and TIRED!! And we are running out of space. So I am just going to try and sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Absolutely a surprise for us. My husband was adamant about no more kids and our baby hasn't even turned one yet. So big shock.

SAHM to 3 girls
#7 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Well, I guess I had no legitimate reason to being shocked, since we were actually trying. But I WAS shocked. I guess I was surprised because we conceived on our very first try, after 8 years of using only fertility awarness to avoid pregnancy (guess it works!!!) Also, I guess I felt like "Me?!? Pregnant?!?" Too good and too crazy to be true! But here I am.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#8 of 34 Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yay Mama Metis! I understand that shocked feeling- we tried for DD for over a year (lo and behold, I am a late ovulator and had not idea till I started charting) and I was shocked. I swear I took like a dozen pregnancy tests just to make sure.

#9 of 34 Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 AM

Huge shock here! I always ovulate between day 16 and 18 and was sick from day 12 to ay 16 with a high fever. So I guess I did not watch the symtoms but I did record eggwhite CM on day 17. So Iwas sure on day 23 that we were safe. On day 25 I felt cramping, thinking AF was on her way. Later I figured out that I ovulated on CD 25. Therefore unplanned but already happy. I am even a little nauseas alread and hoping for a safe pregnancy.

Barbara

(BTW: what happend to our signatures?)

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#10 of 34 Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 AM

This baby was a huge surprise for us.

I was not even supposed to be able to get pregnant due to infertility issues, but went on MicroNor "just in case." I'm super excited about this baby though and wouldn't change a thing!

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#11 of 34 Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Click on the My Profile tab at the top, then Edit Account Details, and down at the bottom there should be a box you can uncheck under Forum Preferences that hides user signatures smile.gif

Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

(BTW: what happend to our signatures?)

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#12 of 34 Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Add me to the "you could have knocked me over with a feather" group.  We weren't trying or preventing, but this month due to some traveling and scheduling issues, there was only one *ahem* opportunity, and *blush* we used protection for "mess purposes".   I actually just found out this weekend, even though I'm late.  AF sometimes skips around on me, and I had my cycle migraine on time, so I figured it was the stress and chaos (We just married off my baby brother 10/30) of the wedding and all the visitors and preparations that made her skip town.  YDD has had a tummy bug and we've been up all night for the last week.  I figured the sore breasts were from the increased nursing, the exhaustion was from lack of sleep, the nausea was a touch of the tummy bug, the smell thing was b/c of all the yucky smells...it wasn't until Sunday it suddenly popped into my head as even a possibility.  I made DH run out for a test, even thought he didn't believe me.  Popped up positive right away, and it all made sense.  We haven't told anyone IRL yet, it's still kind of settling in.

#13 of 34 Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

ME!!! I just found out yesterday, and I am STILL in shock!  We were WTT, I was CTA... but this cycle threw me for a loop and I ovulated much sooner than I ever have before. I am starting to get happy and excited... but I still have mixed feelings. And these mixed feelings are making me a little sad, because I WANTED #3! I couldn't wait! But we were going to start TTC in a year or two. Now that I am actually pregnant, I am freaked out about how crazy life will be with 3.

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
#14 of 34 Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM

BIG shock for us too. We were done having children. I gave away all my maternity clothes, all my cloth diapers, all my baby clothes, etc. I was scheduled for an IUD this month. We had a late night dalliance and I didn't think to count or use protection. The next morning I counted and thought "uh oh". Lo and behold we are having one more. I always wanted 4 but dh was done. He is handling it really well. We were both REALLY shocked but are now excited! We also had a little scare with some spotting and that just super convinced us how much we wanted this baby.  Shocked but happy now!

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#15 of 34 Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Count me in! Let's just say that all that stuff about needing to DTD on just the right day, using certain recumbent positions and certain lubricants to enhance fertility, that's all bogus. All you apparently need is some Green Apple Suave conditioner in the shower, just ONE day of the month!  Maybe TMI, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when that 2nd line showed up. LOL!!

#16 of 34 Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagiacalone View Post

Count me in! Let's just say that all that stuff about needing to DTD on just the right day, using certain recumbent positions and certain lubricants to enhance fertility, that's all bogus. All you apparently need is some Green Apple Suave conditioner in the shower, just ONE day of the month!  Maybe TMI, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when that 2nd line showed up. LOL!!

LOL!  Bogus for you perhaps, but I have many dear friends who have been trying for years and can't get pregnant.  So for some, I'm sure those things do enhance fertility.  But me, my husband just looks at me wrong and I'm knocked up.  lol.gif

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#17 of 34 Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM

I am going to chime in on this one.  HUGE surprise here!  I am 36, my oldest is 16 and my youngest 7 (11 yr old in between) and now preg and due Jully 22, 2011!!!!  I can not believe it.  Have been in denial for 2 days - pos test this morning and have not told DH yet.  He is in his 60's (YEP) and will be floored.  Thrilled but WOW!!!

Psalm 139     Married 18 years to my love, momma to DD 16, brokenheart.gif 1998, DS 10, DS 7, brokenheart.gif 1/2011
Praying for Peace over our loss.
#18 of 34 Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 PM

me !   sort of surprise. weren't not trying, but weren't really trying that hard either... shock is still here, along with rollercoaster emotions. feelings of, oh god i have to go through another labor - oh no!! - uh i have to go through it all again - happiness and the whole spectrum of emotions (this will be number two) number one is twenty months - so we're kinda ready, but - really i had a 42 hour labor with the first one and i just pray and pray that won't happen again! 

Lady Tiger Fairy
#19 of 34 Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 AM

Well, it is going to be a big shock for my DH, but it isn't for me.Although I had faith we'd get pregnant he really didn't think so. I haven't told him yet despite knowing for a couple of days. I am 44 and worried about miscarriage so I might hold out for a week or so. He's seen me pregnant 5 times before so he might pick up on a few of the clues - I already feel sick and I won't be 4 weeks til tomorrow! I'll be able to relax and enjoy this pregnancy once I get past the twelve week mark. Oh, and then I suppose I won't relax til after the anomaly scan! Any ideas on how I might break the news gently to my DH?

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#20 of 34 Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 AM

me!  we haven't used birth control in 5+ years and needed fertility meds to get our boys...to say we are/were shocked is an understatment! lol  DH was done, and I was getting there, although in the back of my mind I felt our family just wasn't complete...guess it wasn't! lol  I still have mixed feelings, mostly due to wondering how we're going to afford 3...and the 24/7 intense nausea that kicked in over the weekend isn't helping...but overall I know this baby is a true miracle and little fighter...s/he was meant to be in our family, and I already love him/her so much!  I know we are incredibly blessed, although it's hard to see the forest for the trees right now  :)

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#21 of 34 Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_mama View Post

me!  we haven't used birth control in 5+ years and needed fertility meds to get our boys...to say we are/were shocked is an understatment! lol  DH was done, and I was getting there, although in the back of my mind I felt our family just wasn't complete...guess it wasn't! lol  I still have mixed feelings, mostly due to wondering how we're going to afford 3...and the 24/7 intense nausea that kicked in over the weekend isn't helping...but overall I know this baby is a true miracle and little fighter...s/he was meant to be in our family, and I already love him/her so much!  I know we are incredibly blessed, although it's hard to see the forest for the trees right now  :)

We're in the same situation as you! I had just recently went back on birth control "just in case" and it still happened. It seems so odd given the fact we needed fertility drugs for our girls. This will be #4 for us. Next year we will have a newborn, a 2 yr old, 4 yr old and 6 yr old. yikes.gif

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#22 of 34 Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 AM

Big surprise! We were not 'trying' but were not *not* trying, I guess, but we've been doing that for nearly 4 years.  Last month, I saw my naturopath about crazy fatigue and some other issues.  She told me my hormones are all out of whack, next to no progesterone, didn't ovulate that month etc...I was really preparing myself for heading into early menopause and I'm only 35. We've been on the fence a long time about adding number 4. I was just getting to the point where I was about to clear out all the baby stuff in the attic.  I was super emotional and depressed early this month (heading into a long winter here in Norway) and DH just said, "you're not pregnant are you?"  I started taking progesterone after seeing my naturopath just to get myself balanced but now it's lead to starting a baby!  In shock for sure.  VERY happy though! Nervous about how we're going to make it all work and hoping I don't miscarry.....

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#23 of 34 Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 AM

Mine was a total shock! I only took a test because I do one now and then just to make sure. My cycles were wonky still as I'm only 13 months pp and breastfeeding my son around the clock. When I saw that faint line I didn't even believe it. Took 3 more tests over the next 2 days, all bfp with the lines getting darker!

It still doesn't feel real except the nausea and exhaustion has kicked in. We knew we wanted a second child but we were thinking maybe after another year or 2, or 3. I can't believe I'm going to have a 22-month-old and a newborn. I was extremely upset at first and even told my DH I hoped I would miscarry. Now it's only a few days later and I can't even believe I had such a horrible thought! Now if I were to lose this baby I know I'd be devastated. I'm starting to feel excited about it now!

So you're not the only one with mixed feelings!
I think I was just scared of the change and needed to process it. So very different from my first pregnancy which was a bit over-planned and came with so much excitement, haha! I've been lurking here for a few days already but didn't want to post until I had processed those feelings.

I haven't told anyone but DH yet. By my calculations I think I am 5w1d.
#24 of 34 Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Well, we were trying but it was still a huge shock because our second one took 2.5 years and fertility procedures/drugs (IUI/injections) to concieve.  It was only my second PPAF from our last baby (extended nursing) and I was still pumping 3x a day.  I'm still in shock that we actually got pregnant the old fashioned way.

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
#25 of 34 Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 PM

HUGE HUGE shock here.   I was charting and didn't detect ovulation this cycle.  It must have been early because we were only together really early in my cycle. 

I am a widowed mother of 5!  My current boyfriend has no kids and never intended to.   I thought he was going to disappear when he got the news.  Thankfully he has been really supportive.  I am not looking forward to telling my late husband's family.  They are still struggling with the idea that I am dating again.  

I thought my kids were going to flip out but they took the news fairly well. 

Jennifer

#26 of 34 Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 AM

I had IVF with DS so this was a total surprise even though I knew secondary fertility was a possibility.  Not the best timing but.......

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#27 of 34 Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Hi Mumofmak!

Nice to see another European in this board. I am from Austria!

God luck to you!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#28 of 34 Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I surprisingly enough, was a surprised mama! It took us 12m to conceive DS, and I had to lose lots of weight. Well, I was working on losing the weight, and I had had PPAF, and ONE single day of bleeding that **may** have been AF, maybe. But I noticed some fertile signs about the right time :) I got a neg test when I tested a little early, but then I "missed" (like I said, I wasn't regular yet from PP) and there it was!

I am really happy, and am glad I didn't have to go through months of trying like with DS. And the spacing is perfect. I was stressing a little that DS was getting older, and DH didn't want to have another for 2 or so more YEARS making DS 4. :( However, I have been nothing but sick and miserable. I have had bronchitis and sinusitis, that I had to take an inhaler for (a class C, which freaked me out) then a yeast infection, now a regular run of the mill cold :( Plus morning sickness is worse. I'm not just nauseous like last time, there is throwing up :( Oh well. Maybe I need to get some baby things ready even thought it's too early. That will make it feel more real!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#29 of 34 Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Yeah, it was a huge surprise. We were planning to adopt our next, and Dh was getting the snip after the new year. Sometimes I am excited, but anxiety is winning out more often. My pregnancy was not enjoyable as I had HG and was very sick for months. I do not love being pregnant, though I do love the baby at the end, you know? I'm concerned about how being pregnant will affect my dd as I am her primary caretaker.

SAHM to my toddler E 1/09, surviving HG for a surprise new bean due 7/11
#30 of 34 Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM

a surprise here as well. My daughter just turned one yesterday so I wasn't quite ready to have another one so close together. Also worried about what others will think/say about us having so many kids close in age.

I was pretty upset at first, but have started to get very excited

glad to know I'm not the only one!

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page