Low Progesterone? - Mothering Forums
July 2011 > Low Progesterone?
Charlize's Avatar Charlize 12:27 PM 11-15-2010

I saw my OB on Friday and she did a battery of blood work, which included a progesterone test. With our last two daughters I always took Prometrium as a precaution even before I knew I had conceived. (I would usually start on CD 21.) Since this baby was a surprise, I had not been taking Prometrium before Friday. Her nurse called me this afternoon and stated I need to come in today or tomorrow for a progesterone injection because my progesterone was low. I am taking 200 mg of Prometrium daily now. Should I be concerned about putting it off until tomorrow afternoon?

mamaw/two's Avatar mamaw/two 08:09 AM 11-16-2010

I've been reading up on progesterone alot the last few days, as mine was a little low at 7 weeks 4 days.  There seems to be several different schools of thought on the subject, some say get it as soon as you know you are low, others say it will do no good unless you've been taking it since before implantation, and others still say there is no proof that progesterone supplementation does any good at all.  It's all very confusing to say the least.  Do you know what your # was? 

mishymama's Avatar mishymama 08:58 AM 11-16-2010

I'm supplementing.  I had two m/c back to back, then supplemented with my next one.  I have no idea whether or not it works, but I figure it doesn't hurt anything to supplement, and makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Charlize's Avatar Charlize 10:17 AM 11-16-2010

Mine was 9.8 I think. I think the nurse said 11.2 - 90 was the normal range for a pregnant woman. All of it is a little unclear because I was at work (as I am right now) and as soon as she said something was wrong I went into panic mode.

I went ahead and went in yesterday to get the injections. I was given two injections and told to come back Thursday to check my progesterone levels. I am staying away from Internet search engines. I just know that before when we would TTC I would always start Prometrium on CD 21 and if we conceived I would stay on it until around 12 weeks. Given this is a surprise baby I didn't have that opportunity.

I have an ultrasound this afternoon. Hoping to see something promising.

mamaw/two's Avatar mamaw/two 11:44 AM 11-16-2010

I should do that to!  Good luck at your u/s today, keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlize View Post

I am staying away from Internet search engines. 

firefly mama's Avatar firefly mama 12:01 PM 11-16-2010

I've had 4 miscarriages, all super-early, but never had my progesterone tested.  My MW just suggested I use progesterone cream 3xday, so I started that with this cycle and BAM!  Pregnancy that has stuck so far (longer than my losses).  I never had problems with my other kids.  I'll keep up the cream until 12 weeks.  I'm curious what my levels are, but my MW doesn't feel the need to check, and my insurance will screw up if I go in before January 1...so I'm just waiting for now and hoping all is well with just the cream. 

Charlize's Avatar Charlize 12:16 PM 11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaw/two View Post

I should do that to!  Good luck at your u/s today, keep us updated.

Thank you. I'm so antsy at work I can barely stand it. Only one more hour and I will be leaving the office to go to the hospital. I hope we have a tech today that will tell us what they see rather than "You will have to wait for the doctor to call."

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly mama View Post

I've had 4 miscarriages, all super-early, but never had my progesterone tested.  My MW just suggested I use progesterone cream 3xday, so I started that with this cycle and BAM!  Pregnancy that has stuck so far (longer than my losses).  I never had problems with my other kids.  I'll keep up the cream until 12 weeks.  I'm curious what my levels are, but my MW doesn't feel the need to check, and my insurance will screw up if I go in before January 1...so I'm just waiting for now and hoping all is well with just the cream. 

You'll be fine. Sometimes you're better off not knowing. I really wish I didn't know what mine are because now I'm panicking. If it wasn't for the ultrasound I will be having this afternoon I'd really be a mess.

TLK's Avatar TLK 12:54 PM 11-16-2010

The dortors who practice NaPro Technology are experts with low progesterone

javilu's Avatar javilu 01:28 PM 11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly mama View Post

Christine, are you using a prescription cream or over-the-counter?  How much do you use each time?

mumofmak's Avatar mumofmak 01:37 AM 11-18-2010

I saw my naturopath in October to help with some other health issues and she put me on natural bioidentical progesterone cream because my hormones were all out of whack. I firmly believe this is why i'm pregnant! She's told me to continue using the cream, 20mg morning and night until around 18 weeks... I'm back in Norway now and checked to see if I can get the cream locally for when I run out - they have it at the healthfood store. I'd ask your midwife about where to get bioidentical progesterone - sometimes you have to get it from a 'compounding pharmacy'.

Up