feeling suddenly barfy and awful - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no NO interest in food.  I keep thinking "what do i want to eat" but everything that comes to mind makes me queasy. I have not had any actual bouts of vomiting at all, but nothing is appealing to me and I can't decide if I am hungry or if it is just that yucko stomach feeling.  I know I need to eat something.  I have gone through the cabinets and fridge, trying to figure out what to have for dinner and all I can think of is "I want to take a nap and let DH fend for himself". 

Last night we had pasta with soy chicken and marinara.  I had 2 bites and blecch. 

*sigh*  now what?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Sorry you're feeling bad! In my experience, when I've felt that way, I just need to force something down with a lot of protein. A slice of bread w/PB, a couple of spoonfuls of cottage cheese (I would just basically swallow it down w/out chewing!), cheese and crackers, etc. Then after a few minutes when I felt better, I could think about other different things to eat.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I was really sick thoughout my pregnancy with my daughter, and now I am 13 weeks and its pretty much been the same so I feel for ya!  My midwife tells me to eat whatever I can hold down, even if its chocolate ice cream!  High protein and fiber worked really well for my daughter, I would eat sharp cheddar cheese, and OJ, this time cinnamon toast is some days the only thing that will stay down.  Drink a lot of water too, that helps! good luck to you!

#4 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM

You know, just yesterday I posted that I had not had much trouble with nausea, and wouldn't you know, this morning (7 weeks, 4 days) just after taking my vitamins, I thought I would puke.  Thankfully, I didn't, but yuck...  I agree that eating is what helps.  I feel like I am eating to hold my stomach down. 

DH and I expecting our first EDD 6/30/11! 
#5 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna in PA View Post

You know, just yesterday I posted that I had not had much trouble with nausea, and wouldn't you know, this morning (7 weeks, 4 days) just after taking my vitamins, I thought I would puke.  Thankfully, I didn't, but yuck...  I agree that eating is what helps.  I feel like I am eating to hold my stomach down. 

I am always pukey post-vitamin. I take them at night now.  It is the only thing that has helped me keep them down.! 

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#6 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM

I am more nauseous than I have ever been.  I only actually barf on occasion, but I have that quivery-feeling in the back of my throat and stomach churning all.day.long.  What seems to help a little for me is B6 and aromatherapy.  Lemon/ginger/mint smells seem to really calm my stomach.  I also have some ginger soda that I take small sips of when I can't hold down water.   I agree with the protein suggestion - even though I crave carbs like crazy, protein is what really helps me feel better.

hug.gif this too shall pass!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#7 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am the same way. It peaked for me last time about 10-12 weeks, then got better! I would crave ONE thing. If I couldn't eat that one thing, I wouldn't eat. I remember one day I wanted chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and rolls. We had to go to Bob Evans! There was also fried chicken and nacho cheese day. lol. ah, pregnancy!

I have found a good protein shake helps a lot too!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

I am the same way. It peaked for me last time about 10-12 weeks, then got better! I would crave ONE thing. If I couldn't eat that one thing, I wouldn't eat. I remember one day I wanted chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and rolls. We had to go to Bob Evans! There was also fried chicken and nacho cheese day. lol. ah, pregnancy!

I have found a good protein shake helps a lot too!

This is me exactly. Literally one food will sound appealing and nothing else will do.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#9 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM

With my first I was REALLY sick... throwing up 10-12 times a day and having severe nausea and dry heaves the rest of the time. I never ate because nothing sounded good (except McDonald's fries...). With my second, I was sick, but not nearly as bad. My midwives strongly suggested protein, and eating every 2-3 hours, making sure I had protein every time. I couldn't stomach most meat or eggs, so a lot of times my breakfast consisted of beans or a protein smoothie. I also noticed that for some strange reason, sniffing Vapo-rub made my nausea go away, so I started sleeping with a Vapo-rub mustache... this time I'm hoping to make a natural version that isn't petroleum based.

This time, the morning sickness is just starting at 6 weeks, which is typical for me. I haven't thrown up yet, just have the nauseous feeling. I've been pushing protein as much as I can again and it really is helping. My favorites this time so far are hummus, homemade granola bars with added brewer's yeast and lots of nuts, and Justin's nut butter packets. It's harder this time because I can't do gluten or dairy, and I've been craving milk and yogurt... and I can't do the whey protein powder and won't use soy protein powder, and brown rice makes my smoothies gritty/grainy so that takes my go-to option from last time away. I found gummy prenatal vitamins today at my grocery store, and I was super excited about that because trying to swallow the pill ones has always been an issue for me.

The other thing I have noticed about myself is that it seems to be a bit of a mindset issue for me. If I dwell on how awful I feel, it perpetuates. But so far this time, every time I've felt sick, I have reminded myself that I don't HAVE to be sick to be pregnant, and it has really helped.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#10 of 13 Old 11-17-2010, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Noahsmom, have you tried the coconut milk yogurt by So Delicious?  It is expensive but it is really good.  I am not positive it is soy-free or gluten free so if you do try it, double check!  It is definitely dairy free.  I am sorry to say this but "vicks vapo-rub mustache"!  biglaugh.gif HA! 

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.  I am making a big batch of hummus today and running to the grocery store to stock up on high protein foods.  I found myself eating refried beans right out of the can the other day.  haha

#11 of 13 Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 AM

take vitamins with food - if you take vitamins on an empty stomach can increase nausea.....!  husband works at vitamin company - this is standard pregnant or not....

For food - I find there are times when I am eating alot less, having phases of nothing seems particularly appealing and feeling like i have no appetite - but then it shifts and I am suddenly starving.. I've found fresh fruits such as apples, pomegrantes, peaches, oranges seem appealing, and also fresh celery. All the processed, heavy foods don't seem particularly appetizing. I did discover at a health food store, these raw, living "granola bars of sorts" which the label got me psychologicaly excited to eat because it seems so healthy to eat raw, "alive" food - whatever that means..... so I ate it, didn't notice anything, but managed to get some food in me...    I also notice, if I don't have anything in my stomach though, there is more mild nausea, and if I force some food (or ice cream!) then it goes away....   empty stomach = more nausea.. full stomach = less ... 

Lady Tiger Fairy
#12 of 13 Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM

"had pasta with soy chicken and marinara." - no wonder you feel sick bleh! soy chicken? If it wasn't organic then on a primal level - the soy can make you utterly sick - (why? - the soy in USA that is not specifically labeled organic is unlabeled, genetically modified food - which means it carries pesticide dna inside of it, which alters your gut -can make you pretty ill - best to avoid any soy that is not organic, especially when pregnant.    type "unlabeled GM soy" into google and you will find out more than you ever didnt want to know.......   or check out jeffrey smiths's book - "seeds of deception" ..     hope you feel better!!     

My personal goal is to avoid every ounce of non-organic soy possible in the next 9 months. 

Lady Tiger Fairy
#13 of 13 Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks Kerri. I haven't tried the coconut milk yogurt yet, but I have plans to try and make some soon. Since my dairy issue is mostly lactose intolerance, I can usually handle yogurt alright, and I did end up getting some greek yogurt when I was out yesterday because it sounded good :) I love it with a little honey mixed in, it's so good! (my absolute favorite is the Greek Gods honey one, but it wasn't on sale!)

I have thrown up the last couple of mornings before I've eaten, but pretty much as soon as I eat (I've forced myself to have 2 eggs) I feel better.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page