Measuring behind? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

According to my LMP, I should be due on July 13th, 2010. That would make me 5 weeks, 6 days. I had an ultrasound today at the local hospital and measured exactly 5 weeks. They only saw a sac. (I'm guessing the gestational sac.) Should I be concerned? The ultrasound tech was a little pessimistic, implying between this and the low progesterone I should be preparing myself for a miscarriage. I called my OB's office, but they can't tell me anything until they receive the report from the hospital.

Ugh. I'm driving myself crazy with this.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#2 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM

My RE won't even do an ultrasound before 7 weeks, because you just really can't see much before then.  So I think you'll just have to wait a couple of weeks and have another ultrasound.  Plus, the tech's measurements could be off or your dates could be off.  Hang in there.  hug.gif

#3 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I've never had an ultrasound this early other than with my miscarriages. The only reason I had ultrasounds then was because of wacky hcg tests and things, which indicated something was wrong anyways. 

ETA: I'm trying to stay optimistic. With my miscarriages the gestational sac didn't even show. So keeping everything crossed that can be crossed!

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#4 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM

hug.gifI'm going through a somewhat similar thing, and I'll just say that you have every reason to stay positive and hopeful. It is really early still, and since your dates and/or the ultrasound measurements can be off a few days either way, totally reasonable that all they'd see is a sac at this point. Are you going for a follow-up in a week or two? The wait is excruciating, isn't it? Hang in there!

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

And our rainbow is here! E babyboy.gif 10/11

#5 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm assuming I will know more tomorrow once my OB has the report and can tell me more. I haven't had any spotting, so I'm not too concerned over all. Just the scan and what the ultrasound tech has said has caught me really off guard and made me feel down. I hope she can clear some things up for me, though.

#6 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 PM

This is exactly the reason, why I refuse to do an u/s before 7 weeks. There is just too much confusion and nothing is worse that not knowing for sure. I am sorry you have to go through this.

I did earlier u/s with my 2 m/c and the measurements were perfect with the first pg I lost. With the second all we ever saw was the sac.

I also correct my due date by myself meaning even though my last period was on October 1st, I will tell my ob/gyn it was on October 11 because I ovulated on day 25 and do not want to have any discussion that I measure too small!

I wish you a successful pregnancy!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#7 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 AM

I posted in the PAL thread that I'm also measuring behind, but by over 2 wks. I wasn't charting though, and my cycles can be irregular. So I'm in limbo too. Hang in there!
#8 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I just spoke with my OB's nurse. The OB said only a gestational sac was seen on ultrasound, which I already knew. According to my blood work last week, it measured around being three weeks pregnant. I'm not sure how they figured that and the nurse wouldn't give me the exact number. So, tomorrow I go in for hcg and progesterone testing and then report back in two weeks for a follow up ultrasound. If I have any bleeding or spotting, I am to report to the ER immediately.

I'm seriously irritated with the nurse. She's one of those people that hits me as an idiot and she is not at all comforting in bad situations. Instead, she seems to enjoy the grief of others. And it's really, really pissing me off she can't at least give me hcg numbers.

#9 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM

That's insane and so sadly typical. I've had similar problems w/ doctors and nurses. It's like they must take a whole class in med school on patronizing patients. Is there anyone else in the office you can speak to to demand your results? It's illegal for them to withhold your own medical info from you, I'm pretty sure if you request a copy of lab results they have to give it to you without a fuss. Did she even have a reason? Probably just didn't feel like going to get your chart out. angry.gif

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

#10 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I called back and spoke to the receptionist. (Uhm, I find it pretty unbelievable I am getting my lab results from the receptionist.) My hcg on Friday, November 12th was 1,426.8. Isn't that pretty good? My miscarriages topped out around 200.

I'm not really sure when my LMP was. I started spotting heavily after DTD on October 6th. It subsided after a couple days. I thought it was my period and began taking the mini pill that evening. If I go by that date, I should be 6w0d today. However, on October 10th I started bleeding heavily and it was bright red as a period should be. When I told the nurse that at my first appointment she said it was no big deal and they'd just go by the 6th. Mind you, I want the baby to bake as long as possible. So, if my actual period started on the 10th, there would just be a couple days difference in the ultrasound findings and my dates. Sorry if it's TMI, but just trying to gather thoughts. My cycles have been funky due to nursing and going back and forth between birth control options. Either way, I'm thinking ovulation was during the week of the 24th.

Ugh. My head is spinning.

#11 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM

So that would put you around 4w5d when the beta was drawn? That's a great number then! Mine at that same point was 866. And it seems to me that all goes with your u/s well too, it all makes sense. When did you get a BFP?

#12 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Don't know if this helps but when I went for my u/s I believed that I was 5w3d and when my doctor got the results they said 5w. He said that at this early on they are terribly accurate when it comes down to just days and not to be concerned (Im 100% sure of the day I ovulated so I was surprised to hear 5w and not 5w3d).

Please try not to worry too much, I know that is so much easier said than done!

When will you see your doctor about the u/s?

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#13 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmama07 View Post

So that would put you around 4w5d when the beta was drawn? That's a great number then! Mine at that same point was 866. And it seems to me that all goes with your u/s well too, it all makes sense. When did you get a BFP?

Going by LMP of 10/06 it would have been 5w2d I think. Going by LMP of 10/10 it would have been 4w5d. I tested on November 3rd and got a BFP. I then tested late on the evening of November 5th and got a BFP. Every test since has been positive.

I'm still confused about all of it. When I finally start thinking I have it figured out it suddenly doesn't make sense again because something doesn't fall just right. I'm really having trouble with all of this and even though I still feel very pregnant, all the facts and everything not lining up is really making me feel down and hopeless.

#14 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensearth View Post

Don't know if this helps but when I went for my u/s I believed that I was 5w3d and when my doctor got the results they said 5w. He said that at this early on they are terribly accurate when it comes down to just days and not to be concerned (Im 100% sure of the day I ovulated so I was surprised to hear 5w and not 5w3d).

Please try not to worry too much, I know that is so much easier said than done!

When will you see your doctor about the u/s?

I'm really trying not to worry too much. Last week I was so optimistic about everything. I had finally conceived without fertility drugs. Granted we were a little frustrated over the fact I was on the mini pill. I had no spotting. I was feeling great. Everything seemed to be working out. Then on Monday I got a phone call that I needed to come in immediately for a progesterone shot because mine was low. Yesterday we had the ultrasound showing only a gestational sac and nothing else. Today there was all the drama from the nurse and no answers. Tomorrow I go in for a hcg and progesterone draw.

I am supposed to have an ultrasound on the 24th. From there I guess we will know how to proceed. I feel even more depressed regarding this situation knowing that the only reason I'm carrying this baby is because it is a surprise. Otherwise it would have never happened. And it makes me feel all the more hopeless knowing that if something happens to this pregnancy there won't be one to follow as DH doesn't want more children. He's satisfied with the three we already have. At least with our miscarriages I knew we would continue to try and it wasn't the end of the road, if that makes sense. Right now is just a very trying time for me.

#15 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's the not knowing that's the worst.
#16 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlize View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmama07 View Post

Going by LMP of 10/06 it would have been 5w2d I think. Going by LMP of 10/10 it would have been 4w5d. I tested on November 3rd and got a BFP. I then tested late on the evening of November 5th and got a BFP. Every test since has been positive.

I'm still confused about all of it. When I finally start thinking I have it figured out it suddenly doesn't make sense again because something doesn't fall just right. I'm really having trouble with all of this and even though I still feel very pregnant, all the facts and everything not lining up is really making me feel down and hopeless.

I say you def go with the 10/10 date, O around the 24th. That puts your BFP around 10-12 dpo which is just right. Also puts your betas and u/s just about right for 4.5 weeks. Seems to me that all fits just perfectly. I know it's hard but try to trust and enjoy the ride as much as possible.

#17 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Oops. I didn't realize how tired I was when I posted last night. My first pregnancy test on November 3rd was a BFN. My first BFP was November 5th.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page