What's the wisdom on coffee/caffeine these days??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies!

During my first pregnancy I was SUPER careful about everything - I restricted any even remotely problematic food from my diet.  I "slipped" a little when it came to caffeine - I started out with no caffeine, moved on to green tea and decaf, then half-caf, then by 3rd trimester I was having my usual coffee-a-day.

I have never been a big caffeine drinker anyway (I have my one morning coffee and that's it) but I do so enjoy my morning coffee.  I'm thinking of not cutting it out this time around.  Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on caffeine in pregnancy?  I can't decide!  

Cheers!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm cutting it this time.  With my first, I was like you..super careful.  NO caffine, artificial sweetners, etc.  With my second, I had a cup a day in the morning. Well, hes had some issues (sensory procssing disorder, GERD, delayed gastric emptying, feeding issues) and while its probably not linked, I'm going to be super careful about what I put in my body...especially during the first trimester.  I know they say its safe, but I'd just feel better knowing I'm doing everything I can to avoid future issues.

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM

I personally don't think it's a huge deal, but it's been making me sick to my stomach, so I will probably be cutting it out... we'll see though with Starbucks running their BOGO deal starting today... sometimes it's hard to fight that urge ;)

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM

I have cut it out completely, but I'm the type of person who can't just have one cup, so it's better for me to just have none.  I know there was a study a while back that showed high levels of caffeine corresponds with higher risk of miscarriage, but one cup of coffee a day won't give you that high of a level.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs.mom06 View Post

I personally don't think it's a huge deal, but it's been making me sick to my stomach, so I will probably be cutting it out...

Yah, actually, I had my coffee this morning (I reasoned the LO probably doesn't have a nervous system yet) and actually it just made me feel twitchy and dizzy.   Maybe my conundrum will resolve itself in the form of a food aversion, lol!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 AM

a cup or two is fine, i kept to a minimum last time.. all the studies show that one has to have a pretty high (like 7 cups) to affect anything.

i seem to not want more than a little this time which is very bizzare for me.  i am normally a fiend.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 AM

I'm fine with having a bit of caffeine every day, I wouldn't be able to function and keep up with my kids otherwise. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

I am an avid coffee drinker normally, usually 2 large cups a day, sometimes 3.  My husband and I are the world's worst coffee snobs, roasting our own organic green coffee beans, drinking our coffee as fresh as possible with cream off the top of our fresh raw cow's milk.  Pathetic, I know.  And I have no problem with drinking some coffee while pregnant, but I do try to limit it to 1 cup a day, since large amounts can cause miscarriage.  However, when I'm pregnant, I lose all desire to drink coffee by week 6 (I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow, so I've been weaned off it for several weeks now.)  I'll still enjoy a Starbucks latte every now and then though.  Except during my 3rd pregnancy, when just the smell of coffee made me want to puke.  That was my worst pregnancy though.  Through all of my other pregnancies though, I've enjoyed an occasional cup of coffee or a latte.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post

I am an avid coffee drinker normally, usually 2 large cups a day, sometimes 3.  My husband and I are the world's worst coffee snobs, roasting our own organic green coffee beans, drinking our coffee as fresh as possible with cream off the top of our fresh raw cow's milk.  Pathetic, I know.  

Are you kidding?  You're making me salivate.  This is gonna make cutting out coffee even more difficult. ;)

Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 AM

I roast my beans too.  You have me beat on the raw cream.  I've been sipping away on about 2 cups of 1/2 decaff/day.  I did with my other two. But like most of us, I can't seem to finish a cup.  I'm up at 5 every day-work all day-by three I feel like i need a little boost to get through the evening fun.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 AM

I love my coffee, big coffee snob too, has to be fresh roasted beans, etc.  However the past couple weeks the smell of it makes me ill.  So that makes it really easy to cut back.  I'm still managing about a half cup a day, just enough to get me going in the morning.  I miss it though, especially on days when I'm really tired and need a pick me up.  Like today.   caffix.gif

SAHM to 3 girls
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM

I drank 1-2 cups a day through my entire pregnancy with DD and breastfeeding....Until recently. It's interesting you say that, Dom&O, about your son's issues and I wonder if there is possibly a connection since DD had GERD also. But that's not why I stopped. I was still drinking at least 2 cups a day with my miscarriage in the spring - not saying that's what caused that either - and then continued to struggle with Adrenal Fatigue and infertility. Cutting caffeine out finally and also most sugar made all the difference for me. I've come to believe that there are some of us (or at certain times in our lives, in my case I think because of 3 years of chronic sleep-deprivation and stress) that are much more sensitive to caffeine, even in small doses. I really felt that I didn't start to recover (and finally get my cycles in check and pregnant!) until I cut it out entirely. And now I'm afraid to ever go back to it. redface.gif But that's just me. I think that most pregnant women can have that minimum amount no problem, it's just not a risk that I'm willing to take this time....even though somehow coffee's been smelling heavenly to me this week....

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

And our rainbow is here! E babyboy.gif 10/11

Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM

My current OB says no caffeine. The one I had with the last two babies said an average sized cup of coffee a day or equal the caffeine in soda was perfectly fine.

Personally, I don't drink any caffeine. While I'm at work I drink water only. No flavored water, just plain boring water. When I'm at home, I drink Diet Rite with my meals. It's sodium free, caffeine free, and calorie free.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 PM

I drink a cup of coffee here and there.  I also have a coke every once in a while hide.gif.  I think when it comes to diet issues and pregnancy there is a lot of information out there that could be turned and twisted to fit any argument.  I am not someone who, as a general rule, believes in absolutes.  I had a tuna sandwich the other day.  I wouldn't have one every day, or even every week - but, to me, once in a while is no big deal.  I also have a small glass of wine with shabbos dinner on Friday nights (maybe 3 oz?), but I wouldn't have one every night.

Moderation and balance - and following your instincts- are most important, IMHO.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I drink a cup of coffee here and there.  I also have a coke every once in a while hide.gif.  I think when it comes to diet issues and pregnancy there is a lot of information out there that could be turned and twisted to fit any argument.  I am not someone who, as a general rule, believes in absolutes.  I had a tuna sandwich the other day.  I wouldn't have one every day, or even every week - but, to me, once in a while is no big deal.  I also have a small glass of wine with shabbos dinner on Friday nights (maybe 3 oz?), but I wouldn't have one every night.

Moderation and balance - and following your instincts- are most important, IMHO.

I totally agree. After my experience last time (doing EVERYTHING right and still having a baby with a birth defect), I am much more relaxed about it all this time... And I don't see a problem with tuna a couple of times a month at all! I guess lucky for me, most of the things we're "not supposed" to eat don't sound good at all...

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

I couldn't have put it better myself. :-)

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

Old 11-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:

I completely agree!

When DH and I first started TTC, I did my research and found that most places say about 300 mg a day of caffeine is ok. Well, DH and I were avid coffee drinkers at the time. We would each have 2 cups in the morning, then he would go to work and I would make another pot for myself (4 more cups). And if I ran out of that pot, or someone came by to visit, or or or, I would make another pot. I would easily drink 8-10 cups of coffee in any and every given day. So I knew I was in trouble! I cut down at first to one big travel mug a day. After 2 months of TTC, I cut coffee out entirely. I pretty much don't drink soda of any type, so that eliminated all caffeine from my diet (well except the little bit that's in chocolate :) )

We tried for 4 more months to TTC, no luck. As month 7 rolled around, I was starting a new job that was really going to screw with my sleep schedule, so I said, screw it. One cup a day it is. I started making a travel mug worth of coffee in the morning, which I would usually only finish half of - then having a small cup while at work. I decided it just wasn't worth the stress, you know?

And here I am with my BFP, that very same month :) Not that I think the caffeine helped me get pregnant - I think the difference was not stressing out about every tiny little detail. And that is the path I intend to take with my whole pregnancy.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

User Tag List