Getting an "older" ready for new baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I may be getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm thinking about my LO and all of the changes I'd like to occur before the baby comes.  I just stopped pumping for him a week ago (EPed for two years!) and that was such a relief to be done with that.  While I loved giving him my milk, and if I were nursing it would have been different probably, but pumping is just a chore.  Anyways, we are still cosleeping and have not even begun potty training.  He hasn't really shown any intrest/readiness in the pottying arena, and while I love sleeping with him..that might change when I'm huge and can't get comfy.  Already its a pain to try to sneak out of bed to pee three times a night (he's very sensitive and wakes up very easily).  Not to mention I can smell his peepee diaper all night long..lol. 

To make a short story long..lol, is anyone in my boat? What do you want to do with your other kids before the new baby?

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
#2 of 3 Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM

i am right there with you! our daughter's 2 1/2. tho i know she should be potty trained by now she isn't. so there, lol. we don't exclusively co-sleep, but the majority of the time it ends up that way.  we have a puppy too, so .... by 3 am it's usually DH, DD, puppy, me & the cat all in the queen size bed, generally i'm in the middle & gotta squiggle my way out to pee a thousand times. but concerning how to make changes? um, still trying to take one day at a time. i'm only 4 weeks yesterday (early HPT) & my hormones are so wild right now i can just take one day at a time & try not to worry too much about how life's going to change. cuz honestly, i can't handle taking on the whole world right now.

Mohawk Mamma is wife to viking hardcore hottie husband, mommy to amazing 3 year old daughter & Molly angel.gif(11/24/10), & new baby EDD 8/28/11

#3 of 3 Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM

It is a bit early in the day yet, but the biggest change we'll need here is to take DD's bed!  She has one of those cribs that converts down into a toddler bed, but we're going to want it back as a crib to "sidecar" to our bed when the baby comes.  We'll move her to a "big girl bed", which will be much higher and bigger than the little crib that's 6 inches off the ground that she sleeps in now.  I'll probably make the switch 2-3 months before the babe arrives so that she has time to adjust and doesn't feel like her bed is being just taken away from her.

DD still co-sleeps a little bit - she wanders into our room at 4-5am every morning and another couple hours of sleep.  I think this should be okay with a baby.  The baby would be sidecarred on one side of me, and DD sleeps on the other side, between DH and I.  Hopefully this won't interfere with much!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page