Antibiotics in early pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 7 weeks 2 days and have a horrible chest cold/flu.  Fever and chills, cough from deep chest, sore throat, ear aches and so on.  The dr gave me a script for a z-pack a few days ago and I have put off taking it hoping to get better on my own.  But my husband put off going to the dr and his turned into walking pneumonia.  So, I started the meds tonight.  I have found that it is in catagorie B so that makes me feel a bit better but I really worry about taking stuff this early.  Anyone ever been in the same boat?

Psalm 139     Married 18 years to my love, momma to DD 16, brokenheart.gif 1998, DS 10, DS 7, brokenheart.gif 1/2011
Praying for Peace over our loss.
#2 of 4 Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 PM

When that happened to me I called my midwife to check the antibiotics with her and she said there were safer things to take (don't remember what I was prescribed) and she was able to call in a new script for me.

#3 of 4 Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 AM

ddcc,

did you get tested to show that you have a bacterial infection like strep or something? in your OP you say cold/flu, neither of which require abx. just making sure you aren't being prescribed abx without reason.

i took abx twice now in the first trimester--once i had strep and the second time i had an UTI. i also checked with my current OB and on safefetus.com to ensure they were safe enough for pregnancy (cat A or B). i was misprescribed something by the pharmacist here which was not safe for pregnancy so i am glad i checked. i'm not worrying about the effects on the baby because the risks of not taking abx were higher in my opinion (untreated UTIs can lead to kidney disease, untreated strep not sure what that would turn into but strep feels so awful it can't be good)...

raising my two sunshine children.

#4 of 4 Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM

I had to take a z-pack Thanksgiving weekend for a really bad sinus infection. (The only antibiotic I can really take is the z-pack as I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs.) I had to have some relief. It wasn't something I wanted to do, but in order to get some relief so I could take better care of myself I felt it was the best option.

FWIW, I've taken antibiotics with all of our children during the first trimester as well as throughout the pregnancy at various times and everything has been just fine.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page