Strollers - question for mom's with/who will have 2 under 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a question for all you experienced mama's out there. When our little poppyseed is born, DS will have just turned 2.5 years old. Ive been seeing good deals on double strollers, especially ones with an infant bassinet. What's your take on them? did/you use one? We have an awesome single stroller and we do babywear, but honestly, I have no idea how long kids stay in a stroller.. would a 3.5 year old still use one? (its damn cold here in the winter, so we wouldn't ever be using a stroller outside when DS turns 3).

Would love some insight :)

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#2 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM

I had a regular double stroller since my first two are 19 months apart. Then I kept it when #3 came 14 months after #2. Now that they are getting older I bought a Joovy sit and stand, and I love it! DD3 sits in the front and DD2 sits. All three can fit on it though when DD2 sits and DD1 can stand. DD1 is 3.5, and she likes to walk, but rides on the stroller sometimes too.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#3 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I ended up getting a double stroller out of desperation after DD was born. I found myself in a scenario of chasing DS down (who was 20 months) while carrying DD who did not want to be worn and needing a place to put all of our stuff, a single stroller just wasn't cutting it. We went to a spray ground a lot that summer while I was solo and DD was a tiny infant, so it gave me a place to set her down so that I could interact with DS without her getting hurt while being worn, and it gave me a place to put snacks/diaper bag/etc. and a place to confine DS too when we needed to get out of a place in a hurry and he was less than eager about it. Even now at 1 and 3 we still use it when we go to the mall because it gives me a place to stash bags and keeps everyone happy because DD isn't so pleased with babywearing anymore. I never used it for grocery shopping because it's easier to put one in the cart and wear the other, but for outings when I needed a place to put DD down it was great. 

It would obviously depend on how well the child does with walking independently but it ended up being a great purchase for us since DS was/is a sprinter and I was having to juggle them on my own so much of the time. It made getting out of the house less daunting for sure. 

Also wanted to add that I have a double jogging stroller as well that was a gift, and it's great when we're doing outdoor activities or walking/jogging. It's way too big to use indoors, though. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#4 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM

I've never really used a stroller except my jogger for running. My boys were 2 1/2, 3 and Lij will be almost 3 when this one is born. I expect to baby wear the little and have bigger kid wlak.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#5 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM

I go for rather long (>1hr) walks with my son in his stroller and don't see this ending when newbie arrives.  I like the light(er)ness of the sit and stands, but I think we'll need an actual seat for our long walks.  I will be watching this thread...

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#6 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DDC crashing....

I love my Bob double.  I am a jogger though.   it is the only double we purchased. 

mine are 26 months apart.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#7 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM

I've had two sets of kids 2.5 years apart so far. (This next one will be 2.75.) I have a double jogging stroller which is great. When my babies were tiny, I just wore them and pushed the toddler in my Maclaren Volo.

#8 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses! ill have to keep watching this thread :)  We have an amazing Quinny that I can't give up, but ive seen a really nice double on mamabargains a couple times now, I may have to grab it next time its up!

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#9 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 PM

I'll have to watch this thread too, as this question has been on my mind lately.  I have yet to find a stroller I actually like...but I think that with a tiny newborn & an active toddler, it'll probably be a good thing to have around.  I don't know.  I really, really hate our current strollers and the thought of having something even bigger & less maneuverable is just unappealing.

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#10 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 PM

My kids are 16mo apart and I got a Mountain Buggy Urban Double off Craigslist and use it for exercise.  I babywear one or sometimes both and don't even own a single stroller.  However, now my oldest walks everywhere (3yo) :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#11 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM

My first two were 18 months apart.  We started with an Eddie Bauer traditional front and back double stroller, but wore it out completely after less than a year.  So we purchased a Mountain Buggy Urban Double.  Seriously, it's been one of the best purchases we ever made!  When #3 came along, #2 had just turned 3, and she preferred to ride in it until she was over 4 years old.  Some 3.5 year olds won't want to be in a stroller and some will, I guess it depends on your child's personality.  It was great for me since we often went for long walks or walked to the grocery store.  I could even jog with it even though it's not technically a jogging stroller.  I did exercise with it all the time because my dh was deployed.  My 4.5 year old (at the time) rode her bike alongside us.  Now, my 3 yr old and 11 month old ride in it when we take walks or go to the mall.  It's safer than trying to keep track of a toddler and allows us a place to stash packages.  I'm hoping that my 3 yr old is ready to walk at least by the time the new baby is 5 or 6 months old (she'll be over 4 by then.)  Oh, and we've had the stroller for over 5 years and it's still going strong.  The frame is in excellent condition, the canvas is starting to tear in a few places and we're considering buying new covers (would be around $200 for the seats and hoods) since that still less than buying a cheap jogging stroller.  But it's not vital that we get new covers for it to continue to function.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#12 of 17 Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 PM

I'm going to be watching this.  I was just thinking this today when DS and i were out for a walk.  Is it better to have a side by side or inline? 

I mostly use the stroller for walks/jogs but not running.  I prefer having a running stroller and another one, vs having an all terrain.  I had a Mountain Buggy Urban and it was OK but not great for jogging and not great for quick trips to the mall.  Now I use a Peg Perego Si for mall/dr's office and an In Step jogging stroller for walks. 

Sort of off topic, but Im also wondering how to baby wear 2 babies.  DS will be 23 months when peanut is supposed to get here.  now, I pretty much use an Ergo or a ring sling.  When he was smaller I liked the Moby. 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#13 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 AM

When my second was born I purchased a Mountain Buggy Urban Double and loved it. My then 2 y.o. DD threw one tamper tantrum after the next and I really needed a place to confine her in subways, playgrounds and so on. She sat in her stroller until 2nd DS was born and she was 3.5 y.o.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 AM

only double we bought was the BOB, we do stroller strides and it is my stroller for everything. my older child loves to ride wink1.gif so yeah at almost 45lbs i needed a stroller that pretty much pushes itself.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#15 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 AM

I am in love with our sit-and-stand stroller.  I know that they are not very popular around here, but I could not live without mine.  It is the perfect balance for my son - he can walk when he wants and sit when he wants without me having to lift him in and out of a buggy.  He is very mindful, though, and I understand how a child that tends to run off would be hard to keep in this stroller.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#16 of 17 Old 12-11-2010, 03:54 PM

when DS was born, DD was just turning 2 and we tossed this around for a long time.  We opted for a used double stroller and I was glad because DD preferred to walk. sometimes we just took DS in the ergo and left the stroller home.  Our double stroller was big and a pain to push, but it looks like they have smaller ones. now DS will be 1.5 when thisbaby comes so we may get another used dbl stroller. our last one was pretty old.  BRU has good reviews...

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#17 of 17 Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM

I would think if you are going to be in public an inline would be more convinent. I hate being mowed down by these massive double wide strollers. We usually shop in our strollers, and our farmers market is an old train platform, so not a lot of room.

However, if you are going to be on the bike path or street walking/jogging, Double wide may be easier to control?

I will be watching this thread too, but I think I have my eye on the sit and stand too. I have lots and lots of dreadlocks, and look rediculus back carrying with my hair piled on my head, and DS is "needy" so I will have to have my hands/front free to carry/tackle him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

I'm going to be watching this.  I was just thinking this today when DS and i were out for a walk.  Is it better to have a side by side or inline? 

I mostly use the stroller for walks/jogs but not running.  I prefer having a running stroller and another one, vs having an all terrain.  I had a Mountain Buggy Urban and it was OK but not great for jogging and not great for quick trips to the mall.  Now I use a Peg Perego Si for mall/dr's office and an In Step jogging stroller for walks. 

Sort of off topic, but Im also wondering how to baby wear 2 babies.  DS will be 23 months when peanut is supposed to get here.  now, I pretty much use an Ergo or a ring sling.  When he was smaller I liked the Moby. 

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page