UTI Medications Safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

Well, my doctor called today and told me that my tests show I have a UTI. I had no idea - no symptoms at all beyond that I have to pee often. Well, I had attribued that to pregnancy :)

I didn't catch the name of the drug she's prescribing for me (I was on my cell phone in a bad reception area) but I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow. In your opinions, is taking antibiotics to clear up an asympomatic UTI safe during pregnancy? I'm 8 weeks along tomorrow.

If you recommend against antibiotics, what do you recommend to clear up the UTI? Keeping in mind that I won't really know if I have cleared it up or not as I currently have no symptoms.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#2 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Was your antibiotic prescribed by your primary doc or your ob/mw?  I had one prescribed 1st tri by my primary office and I was unsure about taking it.  I called my mw and she said there was something safer I could take and called in a script for that.  If your ob/mw gave it to you, I would think it would be ok.

#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 AM

i was prescribed 100mg macrobid. the morning after i started taking them, i had a secondary infection. i have stopped taking the antibiotic and began taking cranberry supplements and drinking loads of water. i was told a secondary infection couldnt be treated before 12 weeks..

not sure if this is the best thing to do- but i feel fine and no longer have symptoms of either infection.

#4 of 7 Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

The meds were prescribed by my family doctor, but she knows I'm pregnant and confirmed how far along I am before deciding on a medication. Her office deals primarily with families and deals wih a lot of pregnant women.

mammabear, do you feel hat the antibiotic caused the secondary infection? Or just that it won't help treat it?

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

#5 of 7 Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 AM

i am pretty sure the antibiotic did cause the secondary infection- the timing of how the secondary came about- and i had been fine before taking the antibiotic...

i wasnt sure what was the ideal thing to do in the situation- but the NP i saw pretty much said i had to suffer through the secondary infection because there was nothng to do to treat it...sooo i went to what i believed was the root of the problem and eliminated that- the antibiotic. no way was i going to suffer when i knew i could take something else to treat the UTI that would not throw me off like that!

#6 of 7 Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Okay the prescription is for cephalexin. I looked and I can't find any horror stories online about using it during pregnancy (I figured there'd be at least a few). Anyone had to take this med while pregnant?

#7 of 7 Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM

I am a LLL Leader and I have the Hale Medications and Mothers Milk book which summarizes all the info for studies done on safety of breastfeeding and pregnancy and meds. I will PM you the info....

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page