twins or fibroids - freaking out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got a call from my midwife.  I starting bleeding a lot last week and went in for an ultrasound on thursday to diagnostic center (MRIs, ultrasounds, etc..).  She found a strong heartbeat right away, gave me measurements and beats per minute, but told me she couldn't tell me more.  At the end we flippenly asked, "just one right" because my DS keeps saying he's getting two, she said quickly, "well I thought maybe, but it was just the sac"  She gives us a pic and it looks like two sacs (nothing like my singleton ultrasound pic)  My DH think maybe vanishing twin and that caused the bleeding.

Fast forward to tonight and my midwife calls, she got the report.  The bleed was caused by a Subchorionic Hemorrhage and since I read a ton on here, I'm not too freaked out.  then she goes on to tell me there is more.  The report says that there is "something" behind the baby.  The report was not clear as to what they think it is and she is sounds somewhat annoyed with them and goes on to tell me it could be another small bleed, a fibroid, or another baby? 

I am actually freaked out with all the options.  As wonderful as twins are my DS is a handful and I can't picture life with tiwns, the fibroid idea scares me because although not cancer, my mom died of breast cancer young and anthing to due with tumors sends me shaking and crying.  My MW gave me the options to wait it out or go for amother ultrasound.  She really doens't want me to go back to the well know, in my opinion highly regarded, center, but instead to go to a school that does free ultrasounds or a tech she uses at times that will come to my home. 

I don't know what to do... We have a rountine exam tommorrow evening, so I may just wait to talk to her then.  Thanks for reading my novel, you girls are just great with advice and I needed to get it off my chest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 03:54 AM

hopefully everything turns out to be fine for you-

i would probably opt for having another u/s done just to see if one or two of the other options can be ruled out, maybe come away with a more thorough report.

the thought of even possibly carrying twins scares the life out of me, so i understand how overwhelming it may be, but i truly believe that we are never given anything that we cant handle. the positive mamma in me says "double the blessing!!!"

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM

I can see how the thought of a fibroid really frightens you. It would me too. I always thought the news of twins would make me hysterical. But now I can't imagine anything else. You'll be able to do whatever you need to as a mother.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM

I too would opt for another us. All the info you can get would help.....

Good luck. I will keep you in my thoughts...

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I go for a second ultrasound this afternoon.  My mw laughed at my response to possible twins.  She said it was totally normal, first time moms always say how excited they are and moms with kiddos, groan, "oh no".  I'm pretty nervous and to make it worse, my dh is out of town and I'll be taking my 3 year ol with me for the news.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Hope you hear good news this afternoon. Please keep us updated.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I just got home from a great office that specializes in fetal problems.  Not that this was a huge problem, they just had really cool up to the minute ultrasound machine and staff.  Not a second baby, just a small fibroid.  She said from the looks of it it may have been around since my last pregnancy, but just too small it never really got picked up and just grew a little now due to pregnancy hormones.  I am very relieved with this news as I was starting to panic last night while searching the internet for a bigger car (our will not hold three carseats), another crib, twin mom stories... My three and a half year old DS on the other hand was very upset that he did not get to see two babies in my tummy.  He's been saying it's two since the beginning and even had a plan today at the park how we would each push one on the swing, feed them, everything...  I keep telling him one might be better for his life in the long run smile.gif.  I did get some cool 2d and 3d ultrasound pics the bean in measuring a few days bigger then my guestimated due date and had a strong heartbeat.  YEAH!!joy.gif

Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM

So glad for you! 

Lisa (39), DH (51), SDS (29), DD (8/29/01), DD (8/22/03), DS (8/3/06), an angel named Xan angel1.gif, who went home on 12/18/10 and now a new bundle of joy due 05/24/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 AM

Perfect!

I had a twin scare for 2 weeks and nearly drove myself crazy. One now sounds like a breeze....

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 AM

Glad you got the news you wanted!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)

User Tag List