We started to tell people! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we just told a whole slew of people through Christmas cards! we'll be telling our family this weekend.. It feels so odd but wonderful to share our little secret with everyone ♥

Anyone else share the news already?

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#2 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 PM

We've only told a handful of people so far and a couple were this week which was fun.  I'm looking forward to next week because we plan to tell the family on Christmas, then everyone else!  Can't wait. :)

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#3 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM

We have only told a few people and only 1 family member who is like a best friend to me.  I am still not ready to tell a lot of people but I know in our small town of less than 10K, it will be spreading like wildfire as soon as the word is out.  I am telling 2 friends on the Solstice that I think I possibly want at the birth.  I have no clue when we are telling family. 

Lisa (39), DH (51), SDS (29), DD (8/29/01), DD (8/22/03), DS (8/3/06), an angel named Xan angel1.gif, who went home on 12/18/10 and now a new bundle of joy due 05/24/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Planning to share the news w/my mom and sister when we leave for our trip to disneyland next wk (they'd figure it out when I decline all the fun rides). wink1.gif Probably telling DH's family on Xmas. Still a bit anxious since we're only 10 weeks along.

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#5 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM

We're only 8 weeks now and have only told a couple close friends and my sister.  We're holding out for a fun group tell at Christmas for his family and mine.  We'll ask them to be discreet until February which will make us closer to 15 weeks. Im also going to try to keep it secret at work for as long as possible, actually hoping to wait until we get back from a trip in April which will be 23-25 weeks. :)  We'll see if I can pull that off since I do work on Labor & Delivery- they have a keen eye for these things. 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#6 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 12:28 PM

We told immediate family right away (our parents & siblings) & I've told a few friends...basically, anyone who'd know and be part of our support system if anything went wrong with the pregnancy gets to know about it from the beginning.  I'm not too happy that FIL told his whole extended family, though.  It does feel nice to have people who'll be excited with me and who I can talk to about whatever weirdness is going on with my body at the time smile.gif

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#7 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM

I am trying to hold off until May and let my family figure it out for themselves when we get off the airplane. I think the shock will be worth waiting to talk about the new baby until then, just need to see if I can actually hold out that long.

#8 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 06:12 PM

I told my best friend immediately the day I found out (even before I told DH...duh.gif he was sleeping and is very incoherent in the am).  Then we told some of our health care providers who we felt need to know.  My mom weaseled it out of me ( I was suppose to get repeat x-rays to check on my fractures and when I didn't she wanted to know why).  Next we told DH's two best friends who wanted us to go out to a pub crawl with them for the holidays (it was nice for him to be able to share with someone).  Just this week I told my brother and sister and DH's told his dad.

We are waiting till Christmas to tell the family.  It's still a bit early 9+ weeks but it will be a nice holiday surprise

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#9 of 12 Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 AM

Well, while I'm good at keeping other people's secrets, I am absolutely lousy at keeping my own! This pregnancy was a secret for about a minute and a half - as long as it took me to text my mom after we saw the positive pregnancy test redface.gif

We were planning to just tell my mom, my dad, and DH's mom initially. But, my mom spilled the beans to a close family friend, and that meant we had to let my brother and SIL know (before they found out through the grapevine), and then at DH's sister's wedding she guessed, so DH had to tell his two other siblings or they would have been mad that she knew and they didn't. So now pretty much everyone knows!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#10 of 12 Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafi View Post

I am trying to hold off until May and let my family figure it out for themselves when we get off the airplane. I think the shock will be worth waiting to talk about the new baby until then, just need to see if I can actually hold out that long.

I have a friend who did that with all her extended family who lived far away.  She drove to visit them all when she was 7 months pregnant.  It was fun for her!  I could never do that though.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#11 of 12 Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

First round done! it was halirious! I made sure to stay covered so they wouldnt notice anything and they started asking when it would be time for more, so we changed the subject! then again later they were talking to my little guy saying how much he would like a little brother or sister and my husband said, 'yah around late june early july' and they were all 'yah, good idea!' and I look over at him and say 'I don't think they're catching on' and then they got it and were shocked!!! so much fun :)

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#12 of 12 Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Yeah the gig may be up soon. One of my reasons is that my mother has stated more than once that she doesn't think I should have another child, so I get a kick out of the idea of forcing her to deal with it "to my face" instead of with snarky comments on the phone. I am sure she will be happy when she finds out, but I just get a kick out of the idea of springing it on her.

However, my sister just got engaged and is intent on getting married in Hawaii in mid/late June and there isn't a chance in heck I would be willing to fly that late! I also don't think she is willing to reschedule just for me, but don't think it would be kind to pretend that I am going to be there since I most definitely am not. Maybe I could tell her and swear her to secrecy? She's not a very good liar though.

On a related note I had a nightmare that I went into labor on the flight, a nine hour flight-- but my last few labors have been 3-4 hours total. I then dreamed that I gave birth to twins in the handicapped stalled and spent the rest of last night shockingly awake and planning out just how I would do that and how I could convince my two boys to hang out with the flight attendants while I gave birth on an airplane. "Would I have brought a change of cloths for me?" "Is this something they bump you to first class for?" That kind of thing.  Finally fell asleep after I figure out we could sterilize scissors with vodka to cut a cord if needed, seriously obsessed about that for over an hour. There is a chance that my plan has more than a few flaws ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafi View Post

I have a friend who did that with all her extended family who lived far away.  She drove to visit them all when she was 7 months pregnant.  It was fun for her!  I could never do that though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page