Belly Photos! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

Does anyone know what's up with getting round on the top half of the belly before the baby is anywhere near?

I don't know. It happens to me, too. My belly is huge and round and hard at the top but looks like nothing below the waist. I can feel my fundus just below my belly button so I know there's something there but it's not poking out. I can still wear my regular low rise pants. I wear a size 8 and had to go down to a size 4 in Old Navy to get a pair of low rise maternity pants that would stay up on me. They are still too big.

When I'm laying on my back first thing in the morning with a full bladder, I can feel the bump just below my belly button.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

18 weeks 

18 weeks.JPG

18 weeks2.JPG

I'm not sure about belly sticking out more on top but the top of my belly button always sticks out before the rest, so I have a half innie-outie. My fundus is an inch or two above my belly button. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM

When I saw my MW yesterday, she said my fundus is higher than she had expected. It's at or just above my belly button and I'm only 14w. She thinks the reason my belly sticks out at top because I'm short waisted. There's nowhere else for everything to go but out.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 AM

As far as I know the uterus grows upwards and moves the organs out of place. They move up and out and this causes the round belly on top. This sounds about right, I think!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

As far as I know the uterus grows upwards and moves the organs out of place. They move up and out and this causes the round belly on top. This sounds about right, I think!

Yeah, that's how it works, later on. The question was, though, why do some of us have that cute little baby bump just below the belly button and some of us have just a big, round belly above the belly button without the baby bump so early. It doesn't appear to be a difference between first babies and more. Maybe it's a difference in whether or not one is overweight at all before getting pg. All the thin mamas appear to have the little baby bump. I started out about 20 lbs overweight so maybe all my belly fat got pushed up and out fast.

On that note, I was doing really well with the weight gain. I had gained a total of maybe 4 lbs the entire first trimester. I weighed myself this morning and it appears I've gained 4 lbs just in the last week! I haven't been eating excessively or eating lots of junk. I don't know what the deal is. I hope it doesn't continue or I'll be huge before this baby is born.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 AM

My belly is pretty round from top to bottom and I started out on the verge of underweight.  In one of my pregnancy books, I believe Mayo Clinic's Guide to Pregnancy, it mentions that the high level of progesterone is responsible for a lot of the abdominal bloat.  The way it was described in the book made it sound like the progesterone could make the belly, top to bottom, bloated.  smile.gif

I love all the belly pics!  I hope to have a chance to get in here and post some as well soon.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

A

Yeah, that's how it works, later on. The question was, though, why do some of us have that cute little baby bump just below the belly button and some of us have just a big, round belly above the belly button without the baby bump so early. It doesn't appear to be a difference between first babies and more. Maybe it's a difference in whether or not one is overweight at all before getting pg. All the thin mamas appear to have the little baby bump. I started out about 20 lbs overweight so maybe all my belly fat got pushed up and out fast. On that note, I was doing really well with the weight gain. I had gained a total of maybe 4 lbs the entire first trimester. I weighed myself this morning and it appears I've gained 4 lbs just in the last week! I haven't been eating excessively or eating lots of junk. I don't know what the deal is. I hope it doesn't continue or I'll be huge before this baby is born.

This is just a theory, but I think it probably has more to do with abdominal separation than weight. Your whole abdomen is going to bulge out sooner if your rectus abdominus muscles separate sooner--which could be caused by them never fully going back together after a previous pregnancy, or just by having weak abs.

I say this because I am thin but I also have the round belly thing going on (I really need to get my act together and take a pic!) I'm 16 weeks and have only gained like 2 pounds so far, started off very skinny, but yup, big round belly. I know I had a small separation left over from my first pregnancy. This is part of why most women tend to show sooner each time.

I think you all look beautiful in your different shapes and sizes!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 AM

Oh, so both of those apply to me. I was on progesterone supplements until 13 weeks and I'm pretty certain my abs have been separated ever since having my 2nd child. I was in pretty good shape and strong when I got pg with ds3. I was exercising and lifting weights a lot. I still got the high, rounded belly early. I've been very slack about exercising since having him. No strong abs this time around. My stomach has always stuck out, though, even when I was kid and not the least bit overweight. I've never had a flat belly.

I keep telling myself this time that I'm going to do yoga and walk on my treadmill every day but I've only done it once. All I really want to do is sit and knit.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Well if it's any consolation, you can have very strong muscles and still have an abdominal separation. Strengthening the transverse abdominus specifically, while avoiding movements that increase the separation, is the only thing that will close the gap. Reading about the Tupler Technique really opened my eyes (unfortunately, I got pregnant again before I managed to totally close my separation from preg #1.)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 AM

I guess I have a super long torso (my sister has been known to call it freakishly long :) thank you sis) because I'm 14.4 and you'd never be able to tell even looking at me naked unless you were specifically looking for a little bulge above the symphasis.  My fundus is about 5 below my U still.  I'm only 5'7" but I think how you show has lots to do with your torso.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM

I'll look that up, radicaleel.

I'm only 5 feet so even if I had a long torso, which I don't, I think I'd still get the belly bulge early. I have a short waist on top of being very short.

I stopped trying to hide my pregnancy about 2 weeks ago. I've only had one person so far ask me if I was pregnant. I guess I'm still in that in-between stage where people can't tell if I'm pregnant or just putting on weight. I sure think I look pregnant.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm 5 feet also. I think I have a long torso compared to the rest of my body proportions. I also have diastasis recti so my muscles cannot support the weight of my torpedo belly, so I tend to carry low and way out there. I feel massive over the last couple of days and it's all baby, I have a feeling this belly is going to be pretty magnificent. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

I'm 5 feet also. I think I have a long torso compared to the rest of my body proportions. I also have diastasis recti so my muscles cannot support the weight of my torpedo belly, so I tend to carry low and way out there. I feel massive over the last couple of days and it's all baby, I have a feeling this belly is going to be pretty magnificent. 

Your belly looks like a preggo belly to me. It does seem a bigger than I would expect for how far along you are.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Funny...Now that I've said my belly is round, in the photos it totally doesn't look like it.  It looks like it in person though, at least to me (and to the people at work). smile.gif

Picture @ 6 weeks for comparison - sorry for the bra shot.

Photobucket

Picture @ 16 weeks

Photobucket

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM

The high up elly thing sure confuses me too. Now I was definitely overweight to start this pregnancy, which is my first, but I've actually LOST a total of 4 lbs since I got pregnant. Completely unintentionally, I might add! I have had no morning sickness but my eating habits are about the same as they were before, so apparently baby is just eating me. I've got lots to spare so baby is welcome to whatever it wants smile.gif

And yet even with the weight loss, my regular jeans haven't fit since about 8 weeks due to belly bloat. I feel like I look pregnant (except for the belly button divot) but I'm just 15w2d and the uterus is only just barely up above the pelvic bone, so whats with this big high belly?? It's just wierd. Once the belly button divot goes away though I won't mind so much.

I'll do pictures at 16 wk I think smile.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM

It definitely looks rounder at 16 weeks than 6 weeks but I wouldn't say it looks preggo yet.

If I get dressed today, I'll take a new pic. I've somehow forgotten how to take a pic of myself. I did it just fine the first few times but haven't been able to get it right recently. The camera and flash keep getting in the way. LOL

Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingSky View Post

I'm just 15w2d and the uterus is only just barely up above the pelvic bone

I want to know what's up with my uterus then. My fundus was at or just above my belly button at 14w2d. That's really high compared to what others have said. I'm beginning to worry. Could that indicate a problem?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

It definitely looks rounder at 16 weeks than 6 weeks but I wouldn't say it looks preggo yet.

smile.gif  I know!  Looking at these pictures, I would totally say the same thing.  I'm obviously showing though because everyone is commenting on my belly.  Many people that didn't know I'm pregnant have figured it out based on belly alone.  I took the picture at about 5am on an empty stomach, so I'm sure that plays a part too.  I swear by the end of the day I look *huge,* relatively speaking of course.

I'm not sure about the fundal height thing.  At my 14w appt I was measuring 18w and my midwife said it's because my uterus was still tipped back and to not worry about it.  When do you see your care provider again?  I'd be curious to know their thoughts on it. 

Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I measured a week ahead at my last two appointments, I wonder if it has to do with torso length. Maybe if you have a short torso you naturally measure larger because there's less room to grow upward. I'd guess that numerous pregnancies has something to do with it as well. 

tourist - You look like you have a pregnant belly to me thumb.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM

I don't see my MW again for another month. She didn't seem concerned about my fundal height. She just made a note that it was higher than she expected. It's all got me wondering because I've consistently measured a week ahead from the beginning. I had weekly ultrasounds from 5 weeks to 9 weeks because I've had recurrent pregnancy losses. Every week, the doc said the baby measured a week further than my dates say. I thought maybe it was just that one doc but the same thing happened at my NT scan at 12 weeks. A completely different person in a different medical practice measured the baby a week ahead again.

All of those measurements line up with dating this pregnancy by my lmp. The problem is that I chart so I know that I did not ovulate until a week later than expected, cd21 as opposed to cd14. I have to coordinate when my mother will come so that I can have this baby. My dh will be deployed. If this baby really is a week older than I think, we may all miss the boat and I don't have anyone locally to help me with my other 2 LOs while I'm in labor.

I also sort of vaguely remember excess amniotic fluid being associated with a chromosomal abnormality. I'm not sure, though. I may just be making that up in my own head. The baby looked so good at my NT scan that the doc recommended against any of the blood tests (that I would have declined, anyway).

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM

I had excess amniotic fluid in my last pregnancy. Polyhydramnios I think they call it AND the baby was huge. He was born early, due to preeclampsia at 36 weeks and weighed 9 pounds. He was fine though. I was just gigantic. My doctor said it was the most amniotic fluid he has ever seen in his life. At my very last U/S right before they baby had to be born I was 36 weeks and measuring around 42. I wonder how much he would have weighed if he had gone full term? He's just a big dude though. He has leveled out some but he weighed 30 pounds when he was 6 months old. He still weighs about the same and he is 12 months now.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I asked my doctor about the upper belly and the lower belly thing.  He just laughed and said every body deals with pregnancy differently!  I had the same growth pattern with DS, so it's not even about baby #2.  I was on progesterone for 3 months this time, so that probably accounts for some of the early growth. 

I wonder a bit if my dip at the belly button isn't because of scar tissue from a surgery 15 yrs ago, but hearing that others have the same thing makes that seem less likely.

I haven't gained anything either...down about 5 lbs at 17.5 weeks.  But I have plenty of reserves!  And this is pretty similar to the pattern with DS.  My metabolism just likes being pregnant!  :)  I think I had a net gain of 6 lbs with DS!  I lost about 12 in the first half, then started gaining towards the 3rd tri.  Looks like we're heading towards that pattern again.  I haven't lost as much so I'll probably gain a little more in the third tri.  But I'm guessing not more than 10-12. 

It's really fascinating to see how everyone's bodies look so different in early pregnancy!  I'm huge and round on top and a little pudgey on the bottom.  But with the bbs, you really can't see HOW big and round I am.  I just look kind of chubby.  The doctor said my fundus is up to my belly button this week, so right on target.  (My son heard that and keeps trying to see the baby through my belly button now.  He's certain it's a window to the baby!)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Quotes aren't working for me right now.

Valerie ~ Did anyone express any concerns about the amount of amniotic fluid or your size before you went into labor? Was it a sign of pre-eclampsia or having a large baby?

I wish my metabolism would speed up like that when pg. Mine seems to slow down. I gained 30 lbs with my first pg and about 45 lbs with ds2 and ds3. I'm hoping I'll only gain the minimum this time, about 25 lbs. But if this past week is any indication, I'll gain a lot more.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM

I went to a perionatologist and had an ultrasound with my last pregnancy because I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I guess it was just a preventative measure taken by my OB at the time. I was also told I had cervical funneling. I was 27 weeks at the time. The perio said I had the excess amniotic fluid and that it is common in mothers with gestational diabetes. I didn't develop preeclampsia till about 34 weeks. Was induced at 36 weeks because my BP went through the roof and I was spilling a lot more protein in my urine. I assume the my son was large, because of gestational diabetes but I know that whole subject is up for debate. My girls were average size, 7lb5oz and 7lbs9oz and I had gestational diabetes with them too so I really don't know. My new OB told me that since I have never had preeclampsia with the first two and it popped up with the 3rd, that it's not very likely that I will develop it again. As far as the cervical funneling, it took me about 10 hours of labor and over an hour of pushing to get my son out and that long of a labor is not too common for someone with an incompetent cervix, according to my new OB that is.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here but I thought I'd add my most recent belly shots..

belly 1.JPG

baby.bmp

Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Here's my 16w very high belly bump. I'm 5'1" for those trying to figure out if their high bump is normal. 

16w.jpg

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Hi, Annie. Have you been able to find your fundus yet?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Hi, Annie. Have you been able to find your fundus yet?

Not really. I can still feel where it's different down low vs up high but I can't really feel where anything ends. I know that when I was at the doctor last week, he had the doppler about halfway between my pelvic bone and my belly button to hear the heartbeat. Not sure if that means anything. He didn't palpate for my fundal height at all.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 AM

I had an appointment with my MW yesterday.  I was 15w to the day.  My fundus measured at 14 which is a week behind but I measured a week behind at my last appointment too.  My fundus popped up above my pubic bone very early.  I could feel it from about 9 weeks on.  I don't know if it has something to do with that I'm just used to palpating tissue so I know where it is.

What was really neat was that I've been able to feel a denser spot in the upper right of my fundus.  The MW palpated looking for the most mass and it turned out to be baby.  We put the doppler right on that spot and picked up the HB immediately!   It was so amazing.  I asked DH to record it so now I listen over and over....it's so soothing.

I'm not really showing yet but am in that awful in between stage where jeans don't fit and maternity pants just fall off.....I've converted to yoga pants and scrubs for work.

No exciting pictures to post yet. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

19 weeks

19 weeks.JPG

User Tag List