SO SICK! Can I take anything? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so sick.  I can't breathe.  I'm so stuffed up.  I keep blowing my nose... I have a horrible headache.  Is there anything that is safe to take while pregnant?  I'm 12 weeks tomorrow.  Any ideas for how to get through this would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM

hug.gif  Tylenol, lemon/honey tea, saline nose drops if they're your cup of tea (they aren't mine), lots of rest.  A warm or cool compress could help with the headache.  Maybe peppermint tea might be good too?

I've actually got laryngitis right now, and I can't sleep for coughing.  I keep looking longingly at the bottle of cough syrup on the shelf, but it's class C in pregnancy.  I won't go past B unless it's really necessary, but that's just me. 

I hope you feel better soon. 

Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM

I've had very good luck with nasal sprays (like Afrin sinus - could the headache be from sinus pressure?). The medication is localized, and from what I've read is safe for pregnancy. And the relief is instant. 

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Afrin! That would be good.  So I can sleep.  And I think we're out of lemons.  That would be good too.  I haven't tried any saline yet.  Maybe my neti pot would help?

no5no5, sorry about the cough!  That's the worst.  I have heard honey, straight up, can help.  Or maybe that tea called "Throat Coat" but I don't know what's in that.  Hope you feel better soon!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Sounds like what I have.  I am ready to scream.  My OB gave me a list of things that are OK to take that included sudafed and robitussin, but I am letting it run its course.  I am sitting in front of the vaporizer, which I put some olbas oil in, which has helped a little.  DS (1 yr old) has a cough that sounds like croup-  he is barking like a seal, poor kid, so we are attempting to lay low... he is still full of energy so that means I can't exactly lay as low as I would like...  hang in there!  My nose is so red from blowing it, even with Puffs, that i look like rudolph!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 12-22-2010, 04:50 AM

I was really sick last weekand now my kids are sick. I pretty much stuck to my homeopathic repertoir and rest. Vaporizer sounds good.

no5no5 Cough syrup does not help as much as we would like to believe, studies say. So I use tea, honey and steam inhalation.

There is nothing like being sick and pregnant!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

I was really sick last weekand now my kids are sick. I pretty much stuck to my homeopathic repertoir and rest. Vaporizer sounds good.

no5no5 Cough syrup does not help as much as we would like to believe, studies say. So I use tea, honey and steam inhalation.

There is nothing like being sick and pregnant!

Yeah, I've heard that too, and I've actually never taken it, though I've had laryngitis a bunch of times.  But I did end up giving DD some a few weeks ago because she was coughing so much she was making herself throw up, poor baby, and it worked amazingly for her.  So who knows.  All I know is that this can't last forever, right?  Whereas if I take it and something happens to the baby, that guilt would last forever. 

Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 PM

http://cmsmidwife.com/flu-season-recommendations/

My midwives said Hylands flu care was okay too.  I'm so very sick too, right there with you.  Congestion, coughing (leading to throwing up constantly), fever, body aches, headache, sore throat, the works.  Ugh.  

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Hi sick mamas, sorry to hear you're all feeling bad. I was sick a few weeks ago, one of the worst stuffy noses I've ever had. Couple of tips:

• Boiron homeopathic cough syrup (honey base).
  • Boiron's Sinusalia , or ColdCare remedy for stuffies, Oscillococcinum for flu symptoms (achy, run down, fatigue, etc).
  • Lots of tea and water, brothy soups, and easy to digest foods.
  • Avoid dairy, sugar, bananas, orange juice, and thick foods (like oatmeal): This one is especially important, these foods produce mucous. The better your digestion flows, the faster the cold leaves, and all these things inflame or clog up the gut.
  • My homeopathic practitioner recommended colloidal silver nasal spray. I didn't have any on hand, but I've heard this works wonders.
  • Do a steam with a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil. It's safe for use in pregnancy

Hope you all feel lots better soon!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

User Tag List