Who is planning a home birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I left a message with the homebirth midwives around here today. I was with my sister (who had the same midwife as me and delivered at the same hospital I would be) and I was sooooooo furious/upset/sad over how her labor and delivery and aftercare have been - she had her baby tuesday at 4:30 am.

LONG story short they induced her after she had been there 5 hours "because there's no reason to let her labor all night" then came the epidural a few hours after that (I'm not against pain meds, but they told her it wouldn't slow her labor down at all) then at 1:30am came the c-section talk. The doctor that was called in was awesome and very hands off. They took her off the pitocin (and surprise! Her body kicked in!) All of a sudden she started contracting regularly and within 2 hours had a baby (only 12 minutes of pushing). Maybe if they had let her body do it's own thing all along :/

Anyway, I delivered there with my youngest and loved it. But I found the nurses to be very pushy and rude this time. The midwife to be very pro-induction and pain med.

I don't even want to get into the after care. I'll just say they have discouraged breastfeeding, the baby was on oxygen for a day - they told her the baby could room in after she was off oxygen, then said she couldn't - and now they're saying she can't leave for at least 2 days.

Grrr.

Anyway. While I am well informed of what I want - and have no problems putting my foot down if need be - I just don't even want to be IN that situation during labor :(

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 65 Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM

I'm planning a UC! I finally have my Fiancee agreeing with me on it and I can't wait!

My other 3 were born at the hospital and after my last being induced and having a 15hr pitocin labor (with no pain meds because I didn't want an epi) I never want to get induced again! 

Julia mommy to Mikaela 9, Ethan 5, and Cayden 6/10/09, expecting #4 July/ Aug!

I'm a winner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif kinda mom!
#63 of 65 Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm Planning a hospital birth, but the more I read stories about home birth, both assisted and unassisted, it makes me want to "accidentally" have an UC.  I'm a labor nurse on my days "off" so at least I'm fairly skilled in neonatal resuscitation and post partum complications and I would be able to have resuscitation and other delivery tools on hand "just in case".  I have zero risk factors so I dont see why I couldn't do it.  We're about 20 mins drive to the hospital so a long way if something were to happen. 

Has anyone ever drained their hottub and just filled it with clean water for their labor?  last labor I spend in our jacuzzi tub and it was awesome... until I had to get out to go to the hospital.  But at least in the hot tub  I could squat and stand some.  My first labor was fairly quick and went very well with my great OB and coworkers around so I did feel very safe, but part of me just wants to do my own thing and birth at home. 
DH is not on board with homebirth, btw, so it'd basically have to be a planned unplanned unassisted delivery.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#64 of 65 Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

I'm Planning a hospital birth, but the more I read stories about home birth, both assisted and unassisted, it makes me want to "accidentally" have an UC. 

DH is not on board with homebirth, btw, so it'd basically have to be a planned unplanned unassisted delivery.

Same here.  I would love to have a homebirth, but DH is freaked out about it.  He talked to a guy whose wife had a homebirth and there were complications.  The baby ended up spending some time in the NICU and almost died due to aspirating meconium.  I told him this happens probably more often in hospital births that are induced (which I have had 3 inductions).  He still won't hear of it.  I might end up doing an "accidental" UC if I read up enough on it.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#65 of 65 Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM

I've had 2 home water births with my girls and they went perfectly and were beautiful, I can't imagine not doing it again that way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page