Who is planning a home birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPakW8dwaUQ

And it reminded me of why I would never have it any other way. I must be hormonal because I actually shed tears while watching this!

I had my son at home last year and it was such an amazing experience. I feel like we got everything started on the right track from the first moment, and I'm eager to do that again with another child!

Who else is excited about planning their home birth? Any first-time homebirthers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 AM

This will be our second homebirth (first two were hospital). I have amazing midwives and I am so lucky to have a husband who wouldn't have it any other way too!

I'm a  Christian, homeschooling, kinda crunchy mama to 3, lucky step-mom to 1 and expecting a new firecracker in Julysaynovax.gifhomeschool.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gif
#3 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Homebirth for me- my 5 others born at home as well.

#4 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM

I'm planning a home birth as well! This is my first child and we couldn't be more thrilled!

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

#5 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm planning a homebirth. This will be my 2nd at home. I have to admit that I'm a little anxious about it because my homebirth was very painful. I don't want to give birth in a hospital but I wish I could find a way to manage my pain better. I've taken Lamaze and Bradley, neither of which I really used much while in labor with any of my children. I'm considering hypnobirthing or hypnobabies this time. There aren't any classes available so it would have to be self-study without a support person.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#6 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I'm planning a homebirth. This will be my 2nd at home. I have to admit that I'm a little anxious about it because my homebirth was very painful. I don't want to give birth in a hospital but I wish I could find a way to manage my pain better. I've taken Lamaze and Bradley, neither of which I really used much while in labor with any of my children. I'm considering hypnobirthing or hypnobabies this time. There aren't any classes available so it would have to be self-study without a support person.

I read the Hypnobabies book during my last pregnancy, and although I didn't do the scripts or really take it seriously, I think it still helped me to think about things in a certain way and to be aware that I could use mental imagery during labor to help with the pain--so the overall approach of it helped me. I'd recommend it on whatever level you feel you want to do it, even if you just read up on it.

Also, I don't know how fast your labors are (mine was too fast to even get a pool set up) but if it's an option, birthing pools are supposed to be *amazing.* I wouldn't know, but maybe this baby will come a little slower and I'll get a water birth this time!

#7 of 65 Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Can you maybe get a doula?  My doula was great with pain management strategies at my homebirth, mostly just reminding me to completely relax those kegel muscles between contractions.  As long as I couold be in that relaxed place before the contraction started, it was okay.  She also was really aware of when I should walk or change positions.

#8 of 65 Old 12-25-2010, 01:11 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I copied and pasted this from my Intro post, so skip it if you have already read it, but it explains my happy decision to do a home birth this time!

I have been struggling trying to find a Doctor, Stupid Medi-CAL SUCKS! The OB-GYN I had with both kids doesn't take it anymore, so after calling around to about two dozen doctors I finally scheduled an appointment with one I never heard of, and he doesn't allow children in his office. NO EXCEPTIONS! (I am still Breastfeeding!?) So After that I got a very sickening dreaded gut feeling that it just wasn't right, so I called a mid wife!

We meet with her on Monday, and I couldn't be more relieved! After the two unhappy, bad experiences I have had birthing at the Hospital, I am not about to do it again with EVEN CRAPPIER INSURANCE! I AM GETTING A HOMEBIRTH!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! (BOTH Times I gave birth, MY Doctor wasn't there, and neither was ANY Doctor! BOTH Times They HELD MY BABY'S HEAD IN and FORBID ME TO PUSH Until the doctor arrived!!!!!!!! WHAT ARE THE ODDS!?! Both my kids got facial birthmarks, my daughter a Big Red V between her eyes, and my Son a red Hitler stash, but he's grown out of it now thankfully.)

I am so so so Excited about our little surprise. I am SO EXCITED to have a Home Birth, I have ALWAYS wanted one, but we have never felt financially secure enough, and emotionally/medically secure too. I AM SO HAPPY I just wish I could turn back time and 'do it better' with my other two.

We are Not Finding Out the Gender, But are good guessers and Feel it is a little Boy. I can't wait to catch my baby and open my most precious present! I am absolutely confident in my birthing abilities, have a high pain tolerance and am a person very in tune with her body, so this is definitely for me and i cannot wait!!!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#9 of 65 Old 12-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

A

I read the Hypnobabies book during my last pregnancy, and although I didn't do the scripts or really take it seriously, I think it still helped me to think about things in a certain way and to be aware that I could use mental imagery during labor to help with the pain--so the overall approach of it helped me. I'd recommend it on whatever level you feel you want to do it, even if you just read up on it.Also, I don't know how fast your labors are (mine was too fast to even get a pool set up) but if it's an option, birthing pools are supposed to be *amazing.* I wouldn't know, but maybe this baby will come a little slower and I'll get a water birth this time!

I got the hypnobirthing book on a whim because I saw it at the book store. I read probably about half of it but that was last year. Then I started reading that hypnobabies was better, not so rigid. I didn't realize there was a difference. So now I'm wondering if I want to spend even more money on another, slightly different, birthing method when I wasn't able to really use either of the ones I learned before. It's starting to seem like a bit of a waste of money to me. My 3rd, who was born at home, was born in a birthing tub, underwater. It was very cool. I actually have a freeze frame from the video of his little face looking up from underneath the water, eyes wide open, as my body was preparing to push the rest of him out. Being in the tub was still very painful for me. I'm wondering now if maybe laying down so that I can relax more of my body would be better. In the tub, I had to be either sitting up or on my hands and knees, which was my position when I actually gave birth.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#10 of 65 Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhope View Post

Can you maybe get a doula?  My doula was great with pain management strategies at my homebirth, mostly just reminding me to completely relax those kegel muscles between contractions.  As long as I couold be in that relaxed place before the contraction started, it was okay.  She also was really aware of when I should walk or change positions.

I had a doula at my homebirth. She ended up just video taping the event. I didn't want anyone touching me or telling me what to do. Finally, my midwife got in my face and told me I had to stop fighting the contractions and let them come so the labor would go faster. That was exactly what I needed. I also felt nauseous the whole time so I sat in the tub with a bowl floating around in case I needed throw up.

My labor aren't too fast, about 12 hours from start to finish. Most of it isn't bad at all, even the 10 hours of being induced with pitocin. It's only the last 2 hours of transition that are hard for me. The best way I've found for coping so far is just to remind myself that it won't last forever and the pain means it's almost over.

The thing I'm worried about this time is the fear. I keep reading all this stuff about how fear is what causes pain. Because I had what I considered such horrible pain, I now have even more fear of that and I don't know how to get over that fear.

I hope I'm not freaking anyone out. I'm actually very positive about my homebirth and wouldn't do it any other way unless absolutely medically necessary. It was so much more amazing and powerful than either of my hospital births and I wouldn't consider my hospital births bad. No birth trauma or anything like that. I just want to find a way for me to manage my pain better.

#11 of 65 Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM

I think you guys are so brave. I am not a good "birther" and because I am on blood thinners I bleed so bad I almost needed blood transfer last time.

I love the home birth videos and wish you all the best of luck and great births!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#12 of 65 Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 AM

I am planning a homebirth, it will be my second. smile.gif

SAHM to 3 girls
#13 of 65 Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Home birth #2 for us!!! 

homeschooling, husband pleasing, mama to 3 boys and another little love on the way!chicken3.gif
#14 of 65 Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

I read the Hypnobabies book during my last pregnancy, and although I didn't do the scripts or really take it seriously, I think it still helped me to think about things in a certain way and to be aware that I could use mental imagery during labor to help with the pain--so the overall approach of it helped me. I'd recommend it on whatever level you feel you want to do it, even if you just read up on it.Also, I don't know how fast your labors are (mine was too fast to even get a pool set up) but if it's an option, birthing pools are supposed to be *amazing.* I wouldn't know, but maybe this baby will come a little slower and I'll get a water birth this time!

Ditto this absolutely, and ditto getting a doula.  I'm training to become a doula, and now that I've attended a few births - I'm not sure how I'm going to do it without a doula.  I asked my husband if he'd do it for me and he said no. eyesroll.gif

This will be my second baby and second home birth.  I can't wait!  I also can't wait until after the baby is born so I can quit obsessing over how clean my house is.  Nesting started for me before we even officially started ttc.  

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#15 of 65 Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM

We are planning a homebirth. It is the second time we've planned a homebirth, but will be our first homebirth (assuming everything goes well this time- our daughter had a birth defect that we found at 28 weeks last time). I LOVE my midwife, I've known her for 4+ years and always knew I wanted her to be my midwife, I really hope she is for the birth this time, and not just the pregnancy! I am hoping to take Hypnobabies this time, and my bff who is also my backup doula (I'm a doula) will be there for me :)

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#16 of 65 Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM

We're planning our second midwife attended homebirth. biggrinbounce.gif

DD#1 was born in the hospital.

DD#2 we were cared for by a midwife with the intention to birth at home. At 35 weeks or so, baby developed a very rapid heartbeat which worried my m/w. I was getting concurrent care from an OB so we did weekly NST's (2x a week) and while my OB wasn't concerned, my m/w still was worried (baby's baselines were 170-180 w/excels over 200 bpm). She felt a hospital birth would be best in case baby would be in jeapordy soon post-p.

We were devestated. We still did a "home" visit at 38 weeks and I expressed that I had a feeling that baby would be ok. She said we could labor at home, see how baby handled it and go from there.

At 40ish weeks I went into labor on my own. I was in severe labor denial and by the time our m/w arrived I was 8 cm. She monitored baby and said it seemed to be doing well (in the couple weeks prior the baselines had decelled into more average territory). We delivered at home with no problems.

I would love a waterbirth this time since I took 6 or so showers and 1 bath while in labor last time.The water helped my pain immensely. thumb.gif

I didn't take any courses on pain relief and handled labor well (it was relatively fast at -7 hrs). I kept focused on relaxing between contrax and keeping open while trying to avoid tensing (until transition when i couldn't help but fight it). My DH was an amazing doula and my m/w really supported us both while giving us that space. I read/watched alot of birth stories and remembered how women moved in labor.

Wishing you all a complication free pregnancy/homebirth!!

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#17 of 65 Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Since my youngest was born almost 8 years ago, I was adamant I wanted a home birth. But - I don't really have the money for a home birth midwife. AND I'm just sort of now realizing the complications/trauma from my last birth. Part of it was my midwife, but part of it was actual birth complications. We live only about 15 minutes from a hospital but I'm still feeling a little unsure.

And, honestly - my issues with both of my births wasn't the hospitals - it was the delivering doctor with my first (who I had never met) and the midwife that delivered my second. The hospitals were both great. Use of the tubs - home-like delivery rooms, private rooms with rooming in (at the second hospital my husband was able to stay in my room and my baby even co-slept with me).

I am already considering switching midwives this time - my sister is seeing the same one she was due 2/1. That was changed last week to in two weeks. The midwife "never got the 5 month sono information". That sort of bothers me. Luckily the only change was 4 weeks earlier delivery (what?!) and not any missed issues with the baby. Plus, I'm sort of looking into our local birth center because the check out time is much quicker.

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#18 of 65 Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 AM

I'm planning a homebirth. Periodically though I waver on this and consider a hospital birth, since my midwife will attend me in either setting so I have no concerns about unnecessary interventions. Well, I have time!

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#19 of 65 Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Homebirth #4 for me.  Since before conceiving my first, I always knew I'd have my babies at home.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#20 of 65 Old 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM

We will probably have a homebirth.  Our first 3 were born in freestanding birth centers and our last one was born at home.  We have the option to go either way this time with our midwives and in some ways we were not any more happy with our homebirth than with the freestanding birth center births.  So we're undecided right now and probably won't decide for sure for awhile.  But I have a feeling we'll probably end up doing a homebirth just because the birth center is an hour and 20 min. away.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#21 of 65 Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 AM

Baby #1~We are in a very home-birth-unfriendly state...but so glad that we know a midwife!   And we have our first appointment THIS WEEK!!!

I haven't decided yet "how" I want to have this baby...but I know I want him at home!  Our midwife is a Certified Doula and has delivered countless 

of my friend's children...so I have utmost confidence in her.  I also live in a MAJOR city, and have 3 hospitals within spitting-distance.  

And I am so excited!

Mrs B

#22 of 65 Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 AM

We are planning our third homebirth. baby #1 was born in a birth center -- all of our births have been soley midwife-attended.

I have a jetted tub now in our new house and I can't wait to put it to use in labor. :)

#23 of 65 Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM

This will be homebirth #3 for us. I am really looking forward to it. 

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#24 of 65 Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post

Baby #1~We are in a very home-birth-unfriendly state...but so glad that we know a midwife!   And we have our first appointment THIS WEEK!!!

I haven't decided yet "how" I want to have this baby...but I know I want him at home!  Our midwife is a Certified Doula and has delivered countless 

of my friend's children...so I have utmost confidence in her.  I also live in a MAJOR city, and have 3 hospitals within spitting-distance.  

And I am so excited!

Mrs B

How very exciting!!  joy.gif Hope your appt. goes well. I e-mailed my mw and can't wait to set up an appt!

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#25 of 65 Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Hello. I just joined the July 2011 forum. I am expecting baby # 3 in July and this is our 1st midwife homebirth experiecne. I meet the new midwife on the 6th of January. I am very excited to finally have this option through my insurance now. My 3 and 5 year old daugthers are quite excited as well. Any advice for 1st timers.

#26 of 65 Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 AM

I'm in a very homebirth unfriendly state, too. Someone at the OB practice I went to for a while when I was pg with ds3 reported me to CPS for having a homebirth. That is one of only two civilian OB practices here. There is only one hospital. There is no way I'm going to have a baby at that hospital with any of those docs or their staff CNMs.

#27 of 65 Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Homebirth #2 for us too!  Same midwife.  We love her.  Different home though.  Our first babe was born in an apartment, we got a house when he was 4 months. 

~Adele, married 5/01. angel.gifx2 May and Aug 2006.  Ds, Levi 7/08. DD, Camellia 7/11.  Surprise baby coming end of May
#28 of 65 Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Another homebirth this time. My son's birth was about as close to a homebirth as we could get in a hospital but after we moved I knew I'd never be able to recreate that scenario at any of the hospitals in our area. My daughter's homebirth was supposed to be midwife attended but she came too quickly and was a solo birth with my then one year old in attendance. I'm seeing a different midwife this time around and really like her, and she's closer so hopefully that means no missing the birth wink1.gif We're in a different house this time too and it was so sad for me to leave our old house where DD was born. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#29 of 65 Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teafairy View Post

Homebirth #2 for us too!  Same midwife.  We love her.  Different home though.  Our first babe was born in an apartment, we got a house when he was 4 months. 

Our 2nd DD was born in an apartment and we bought a house when she was 15 mos old. love.gif I'm anxious about birthing in my "new home" (even though we've been here over a year) and hope I can build a comfy birthing space before baby comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

Another homebirth this time. My son's birth was about as close to a homebirth as we could get in a hospital but after we moved I knew I'd never be able to recreate that scenario at any of the hospitals in our area. My daughter's homebirth was supposed to be midwife attended but she came too quickly and was a solo birth with my then one year old in attendance. I'm seeing a different midwife this time around and really like her, and she's closer so hopefully that means no missing the birth wink1.gif We're in a different house this time too and it was so sad for me to leave our old house where DD was born. 

I know the family living in our old apartment. The woman is pregnant too and taking belly pics in the same mirror I took my own belly pics in a couple years ago. I had a hard time leaving DD's birth place as well.

#30 of 65 Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM

First was a hospital.  Second was home (in an apartment).  Third is planned home (now in a house)!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page