Mothering Forum banner

Chat thread - 12/29-1/4

902 views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  awallrising 
#1 ·
Didn't see a new chat thread and I've been really absent from here lately. Now that the holidays over hopefully I'll have some down time!

I had my 12 weeks appointment last week and all was well. My iron is great so that is a plus. We heard babe's heartbeat in the 130's and she checked the opposite side and heard ANOTHER heartbeat in the 130's. So either I'm having twins or it was an echo or she was picking up the heartbeat from the front and back of the baby. I'm thinking there's only one baby but I have the option to go for an ultrasound before my 20 week one to check. It's a huge hassle requiring several trips just to schedule it and I have to go alone since children aren't allowed, I'll probably be 15 or 16 weeks by the time they can actually get me in according to the receptionist. I'm thinking I may just wait until the 20 weeks ultrasound and if I start measuring huge or something in the meantime we'll know.

We announced the new baby to everyone via Christmas card video last week so the cat is officially out of the bag. I'm 14 weeks on Saturday and feeling good, feeling some thumps which is great. Hope all those who celebrated had a lovely Christmas!

#2 ·
Thanks for starting this. I was going to start one the other day and I just didn't get around to doing it. I'm still recovering from Christmas and I'm still so freakin' sick! I know it's a good thing but geez! I spend every evening just laying in bed waiting to go to sleep to get away from the nausea!

That's so exciting about maybe twins! I don't think I would be able to wait, I'd want to know right away!

My next appt in tomorrow to try to hear the heartbeat. I'm counting down the hours, partly because I want to make sure the baby is o.k. but also because then after we hear the heartbeat, we'll start telling family and friends. I'm so excited!

#3 ·
Congrats on hearing the baby... or possibly babies! Twins are super exciting. I've always dreamed of having twins, but have all singletons.

I have my next OB appointment on January 14th and I will be about 14 weeks along then, so we will try to hear the baby on the doppler. I'm very excited and can't wait to hear the LO.

#4 ·
Katie, that's great you heard the heartbeat or heartbeats! Are you on pins and needles wondering whether it's two? Are you measuring or feeling bigger this time around? BTW my youngest is Liam -- love the name (obviously) :)

Annie, sorry you're still feeling sick! No fun, I hope you are better soon.

Charliez, me too! Secret twin envy here, but then I always feel a little relieved when baby is born that it's only one. ;) How many kids do you have? We're expecting #5.

Oh I forgot to say something about me ... we haven't told family/ friends yet, and neither has my sister who is due a month after me, so we're going to tell them in Jan. after my 1st appointment. I am really looking forward to the appointment with my midwife. She delivered my #4 just a year ago (#5 is a delightful surprise) so it will be fun to visit with her again.

#5 ·
Katie, so glad your appointment went well! so awesome you got to hear a heartbeat! I would be freaking out if I thought there was a chance of twins (we have twins on both sides of our family, my hubby is a twin and we were on fertility meds), of course we would deal with it if it happened. They ruled out fraternal twins at our early u/s but not identical.

AnnieA and Charlize, hope you get to hear a little heartbeat at your appointments :)

AFM.. im still nauseous every evening and that's when its just me and DS, its been making life difficult to say the least. Im in the second trimester now, so im hoping it will go away and my energy will pick up.

I had to order a maternity bathing suit for DS's swim class, there's no way my bathing suit is going to keep me covered now!

#6 ·
Yay, a new weekly thread, thanks for starting it Katie!

Katie: I'm kind of wondering about my iron, but I haven't met with the midwife yet…don't even have an appointment scheduled. Yay for hearing the baby's heartbeat! I read that if the heartbeat is the same, within about 10 beats, then it's likely just the one baby's heartbeat, but heard in two places. But if you find two heartbeats that are more than 10 beats different (for example, one is 130 and one is 160) then it may be two different heartbeats/babies! I have heard two heartbeats (one of them wasn't my own, they were both fast) but I didn't count both enough to see if they were more than 10 beats different.

Congrats on announcing the pregnancy! How did it go? Yay for movement! I'm feeling flutters too!

Annie: I hope your sickness eases up soon!

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, I hope you're able to hear the heartbeat!!

Charlize: I bet you'll be able to hear the baby's heartbeat when you go for your appointment!

Serena: I was having evening "morning" sickness too….although in the past week it seems to have switched to afternoon/evening blood sugar drop time. Blech.

Dealing with some anxiety regarding our loss in July at 16 weeks, and being pregnant again.

I also feel like I might be getting bacterial vaginosis again. Grrr. I've never had it before this pregnancy and I can't seem to keep it away! I had it around implantation time, and again about a month later. I was taking live probiotics, but I ran out about a week ago and didn't know anywhere locally to get them, and now I'm possibly having symptoms again.

I have a home Doppler, and enjoy hearing the baby's heartbeat. Really helps my peace of mind. I'm really wishing I could get an ultrasound, but we only plan on getting one at about 20wks, so I have until late Feb/early March to wait.

#7 ·
Good luck hearing the heartbeat tomorrow, Annie!

I'm definitely not one of those people who gets excited at the prospect of twins, but I know we'd deal. It wouldn't change my homebirth plans as long as everything goes well with the pregnancy. I was 12 weeks, 3 days at my appointment and measuring 13. I measured 1-2 weeks ahead with DD until 18 weeks or so, it's not an odd thing for me. Feeling early movement is normal for me as well. I definitely don't have a twin "feeling" or intuition about it. Family took it well, my MIL was pretty cold about it but that's to be expected with her. My FIL thinks the more, the merrier and loves our kids and would probably love it if we had 10 more.

At my appointment we also did a diet profile and I was pretty shocked. They said I need to eat MORE and need protein snacks every 2 hours. I honestly thought they'd say I ate too much, but I'm doing well it in terms of variety and whole foods I just need more of it. I'm afraid of gaining too much weight again this time around, so I'm really focusing on making sure these calories count for something. I'm up somewhere in the vicinity of 5-7 pounds.

#8 ·
I'm FREAKING out...leaving for my appt in about 30 mins. I keep telling myself that it will be o.k. but what if it isn't? I just told my boss that I'm pregnant. Not exactly the way I wanted to tell him but he asked me if I was coming back today after my appt so I had to tell him "Well it depends on how my appt goes. I'm pg again and we're going to hear the heartbeat. If everything is great, then yes, I'll be back in today. If it's not then no, I will not be back in today."

Oh please send good thoughts/prayers my way that I can make it through the next couple of hours.

#10 ·
We heard the heartbeat! I made sure that I didn't pee beforehand so my bladder could help push my uterus up since I have a retroverted uterus. Not sure if it helped but we were able to hear it beating away! Now to make it to the NT scan on the 10th. Whew...I can do this.

#11 ·
Maybe twins! Exciting!

I am 13 weeks and yesterday I thought nausea was gone. Then I threw up at 11 last night and again this morning. Yuck! I am having acid reflux that comes on whenever I drink liquids. I am worried I am not drinking enough water but it makes me throw up. I have an appointment Tuesday so maybe my doctor has some suggestions for what I can do. Anyone else deal with acid reflux?

#12 ·
I am still not feeling all that well. Better though but not 100%- still get nauseated after I eat. Had my nuchal scan last week- babe's heartbeat is up there (171) maybe a girl?? Still undecided on having a midwife or UP/UC but leaning UC.

Good luck with finding out about the twins- when I was pregnant with my twins I didn't find out for sure until I was 7 months along (confirmed by an ultrasound). Their heartbeats were always very similar (but they are identical twin girls) and finally midwife had a hunch one day something was up (and I measured way ahead like 4 weeks ahead usually).

#13 ·
joy.gif
So happy for you mama! Glad you heard that reassurance loud and clear.
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

We heard the heartbeat! I made sure that I didn't pee beforehand so my bladder could help push my uterus up since I have a retroverted uterus. Not sure if it helped but we were able to hear it beating away! Now to make it to the NT scan on the 10th. Whew...I can do this.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty02 View Post

Maybe twins! Exciting!

I am 13 weeks and yesterday I thought nausea was gone. Then I threw up at 11 last night and again this morning. Yuck! I am having acid reflux that comes on whenever I drink liquids. I am worried I am not drinking enough water but it makes me throw up. I have an appointment Tuesday so maybe my doctor has some suggestions for what I can do. Anyone else deal with acid reflux?
Can you sleep with the "head" of your mattress slightly elevated? I used to have wicked reflux with my last pregnancy so we had to stuff blankets under the head of the mattress so we were on an incline. It helped some.

#16 ·
AnnieA: Congrats on hearing the heartbeat! My NT scan is on the 10th as well, it will be our first ultrasound. Good luck to us both!

#17 ·
I had my 1st U/S yesterday. Nice to see see the baby & hear the heartbeat (makes the nausea & fatigue seem worth it a little more). They had to try 4 times before they could measure the nuchal fold. Everything looks ok, although they said that the blood flow thru the umbilical cord may suggest pre-eclampsia later on. The Dr suggested taking a low dose of aspirin everyday & I'm sure my midwives will be pushing their high protein diet. Now that I'm feeling better, I can focus better on my nutrition. For most of the 1st Trimester I've just been eating whatever I could keep down.

Anyone get this umbilical cord prediction & manage to not get pre-eclampsia? I hope it doesn't happen.

Hope everyone is starting to feel better....the 2nd trimester is around the corner!

Happy New Year!

#18 ·
I was able to clean the kitchen, do a load of laundry and put away the Christmas decorations this afternoon. Whew! Feels like I accomplished a lot. Now I need to lay in bed. Thank goodness for TV remotes and wireless internet!

#19 ·
So it's my birthday today and I keep telling everyone that this is the year I get to celebrate my "advanced maternal age"
dizzy.gif
. People just laugh and look at me like I'm crazy.

It's going to be an exciting new year with lots of changes-- advanced maternal age or not. I'm only 36 for Pete's sake.

#20 ·
HawaiianBlesing...I'm 41 (although no one thinks I look it), 36 is young :)

Just had my 12 week check-up. My midwives said to ignore the perinatalogist who told me I might develop preeclampsia, they said that practice likes to look for problems. I will be scheduling future U/Ss at the Morristown Perinatalogist. Otherwise everything is great...nice to hear the HB again. Also stocked up on liquid Cal/Mag & Floradix.

Hope everyone is starting to feel better as 2nd trimester approaches.

#21 ·
I'm really looking forward to the second trimester. The all day and all night morning sickness is getting to me. I feel absolutely awful and useless. All of it is just horrible... Sorry for whining so much, but I don't do so well with this part of pregnancy.

Anyways, I'm glad to be back at work for a full week. That always occupies my time quite well.

#22 ·
I'm ten weeks along and still having an implantation bleed. It was only picked up via ultrasound. So I went back 1.5 weeks later and it was still there. I declined any further ultrasounds. I just thought it was silly to keep going back every 1.5 weeks when there is nothing that can be done except to prescribe bed rest. Which I'm so tired that I don't do anything anyway.

We've heard the heartbeat a few times now. Everything else is good!

#23 ·
Mattie, I had terrible reflux with my 3rd pregnancy and threw up constantly from it. I ended up on prilosec my entire pregnancy. It kind of bothered me, but she ended up being a healthy baby despite and it was better for me than throwing up the entire pregnancy.

14 weeks today, nausea is pretty much gone. I was very sick over Christmas with an upper respiratory infection, let my fever go for 3 days hoping to get better faster, forgetting that fever is bad for developing babies. Now I'm a bit worried about the LO. My next appt. is not for 2 more weeks, I'll probably not go in for a HB check though, as much as I want to, because it's an hour and 15 min. away.

#24 ·
Ack! Anemia & associated migraines are rearing their ugly heads...same thing happened when I was preggo with DS. At least it explains why my arms are so tired I can barely fold laundry without them feeling like lead.

Time for Floradix & lots of spinach! Don't even suggest liver to me :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.