Anyone know they are having a c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see a lot of women who are planning home births. It seems like there are so many articles on avoiding c-sections or how to have a VBAC but not much on planned c-sections. I had a planned home birth with my first but after two days of labor he wouldn't turn his head and the midwife took me to the hospital for a c-section. My second was a planned VBAC with hospital midwives but again DD would not turn her head and after 2 1/2 hours of pushing I had another c-section. This time around I don't have the option and I am feeling okay with that. 

Anyone else know they will have a c-section and how are you feeling about that?

#2 of 45 Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Not judging at all, just wondering why you don't have the option? Even ACOG supports VBA2C now...

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#3 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM

I think there are different indicators of who may not be a good candidate for VBAC and someone who went through labor and pushed for 2 hours twice would probably not be one of them.  If one was for twins and one for breech, I think they would support it but when there's two labor dystocias then I think they would probably advise a repeat.  I'm not saying you couldnt find a provider that might support you if you wanted to do VBAC after 2C, but I think they would want to fully inform you of the risks and benefits. 

swede likes this.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#4 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

After pushing two babies (one for over 7 hours and one for over 2) and both babies not turning their heads in the same way, it was clear it is my pelvis. Homebirth and hospital midwives agreed with the doctors that my pelvis will not deliver a baby. When I had my last baby I lived in a very VBAC friendly area but because of how my children got stuck (in the exact same way) and because of how long I pushed, VBAC is no longer an option. I have always been an advocate of home births, VBACs, and unmedicated labor but after my two experiences I realize that isn't a choice for me. I just wonder if there are other women that are going through the same experience as me. There is support for VBACs but not for planned c-sections. 

#5 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM

My friend had same issue. She's had 6 C-sections. Sometimes you just have to do it. 

#6 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm having a RCS after two c-sections.  My first was due to a failed induction.  I wanted to VBAC my second, but to be honest I chickened out.  Not that a c-section is for the faint of heart.  I hate that I have to have c-sections now, but I made my choices and as long as the baby is fine in the end thats what I'm focusing on.  GL!

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
#7 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Will they allow you to at least go into labor before they do the surgery? Even if you know you will need another c-section, it is incredibly beneficial for the baby to experience labor...

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#8 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM

I'm not sure if they will or not.  I do know that my doctor was very glad I didn't VBAC as I had a lot of adhesions and it took over 40 minutes to get to the baby.  She said if it had been an emergency we would have been in serious trouble...sooo I'm pretty sure she wouldn't let me VBA2C.  Last time I did schedule at 39 w 1d and I regret doing it a little early as baby was 6lbs 14 oz (not that that is a tiny baby, but I think he should have been bigger!).  I will wait until I'm 40 w this time at least. 

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
#9 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I was going to a doctor that refused to go past 38 weeks. He said he did not want me to go into labor at all. A friend suggested I see a friend of hers that is a new doctor in my area. I am so glad I did! She will schedule my c-section a few days before my due date and said if I go into labor it is okay with her! She is so much more relaxed about letting go to 40 weeks so I switched to going to her. 

I hated that most doctors treated me as high risk just because I needed a c-section. My pelvis won't fit a baby but that doesn't mean I can't carry a healthy baby to term! I like my new doctor. 

#10 of 45 Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty02 View Post

I was going to a doctor that refused to go past 38 weeks. He said he did not want me to go into labor at all. A friend suggested I see a friend of hers that is a new doctor in my area. I am so glad I did! She will schedule my c-section a few days before my due date and said if I go into labor it is okay with her! She is so much more relaxed about letting go to 40 weeks so I switched to going to her. 

I hated that most doctors treated me as high risk just because I needed a c-section. My pelvis won't fit a baby but that doesn't mean I can't carry a healthy baby to term! I like my new doctor. 

Glad you found a new Dr would will give you chance!

My Dr is the same way, if I go into labor on my own he'll be thrilled and we'll be thrilled, but if I don't ill be having a c-section again (my first was due to a failed induction - 31 hours of contractions just minuets apart and never getting past 2cm, ugh!).

I don't think of a c-section as a cop out at all! for me, I was terrified and so upset to have one, not because its surgery, but because of the recovery, bonding issues and how much longer it takes for your milk to come in (and so many other things). I think its a lot to overcome! and doesn't make you any less 'crunchy' that's for sure! :)

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#11 of 45 Old 01-01-2011, 04:15 AM

One of my best friends had to have her three children all via c-section. It wasn't her preference (she's the person who started me along my holistic path in life) but it was her only option. She lost her first child in childbirth due to complications - most likely, the child would have survived if the doctors had done a c-section. She was not willing to risk her later children in the same way. She regrets what she missed by not going through labour, but her kids are here, alive, and healthy, and in the end, that's what matters.

Not that I'm a c-section advocate - definitely not - but they are necessary for some people and in some situations. It's not my ideal, but when it's the best/safest/only option for bringing your baby in to the world, then don't stress out about it. Good luck to those ladies who know they're having a c-section - I hope it all goes exactly how you want it to! :)

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#12 of 45 Old 01-01-2011, 03:41 PM

I'm not having a csection but just wanted to wish you luck and give you support!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#13 of 45 Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM

DDC Crashing to wish you the best. I hope you find all the support you need here! hug2.gif

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#14 of 45 Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM

ICAN does have a "Planning a Family-friendly c/s" article www.ican-online.org

If I had to do it again, I'd want the drape lowered at delivery. I'd have a long talk about whether or not to have morphine in the drip (hated being high to meet my baby and the itchies afterward drove me crazy). I'd want at least one arm free. I'd want to try to negotiate DH being the second person to handle the baby (after doctor) and have him have a hand on the baby all the time while the staff did their exams. 

Depending on the reason for the c/s, I would also insist on waiting to go into labor. 

:hugs I hope you can get the best birth for you!!!!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#15 of 45 Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

You may have more luck on a more mainstream board :)

I am terrified of csections, I would need professional therapy if I had to plan a csection. Knowing to the minute when your number is up, and the risks, and possible complications eek! Hope you find other mamas!

This is really rude and seriously unhelpful.

OP, you have a lot of options for c/s.  3 of my 4 have been c/s (c/s, c/s, vba2c, c/s), and if you talk with your doctor, they should be able to discuss your options (like whether to schedule for 39 or 40 weeks or wait until labor begins, if you want the baby in recovery,if you want the drape lowered so you can see baby being born, whether you want an epidural or spinal block, staples or stitches, etc, etc).  None of my c/s were planned, but any future will be, and I'm okay with that :)  Good luck and I hope you find the support you're looking for!

This is my DDC as well and I happened upon this post while checking in with you ladies.

I really don't think Kriket meant anything rude by her post, she probably went with the OP, which was vague and has been explained. The OP clearly has a reason to schedule a C/S this time, but in all fairness would have an easier time relating this on almost any other mothering board (unless she included the explanation, which she did not originally)

Anyway, not picking on you CherryBomb or anyone else--just wanted to clarify.

javilu likes this.
#16 of 45 Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I took no offense. I am new to this site and was honestly just wondering if there was anyone on this site or in the July thread that was going through a planned c-section. I know I can find other women having c/s on a mainstream board but I want the perspective of women who want a natural birth but can't for some reason. 

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know I had all these options with a planned c/s. I love that we can support each other in all kinds of births. Now I have more to discuss with my doctor. Thank you for giving some of the power back to me!

I hope other women know that I would choose VBAC if I could! 

#17 of 45 Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:

I took no offense. I am new to this site and was honestly just wondering if there was anyone on this site or in the July thread that was going through a planned c-section. I know I can find other women having c/s on a mainstream board but I want the perspective of women who want a natural birth but can't for some reason. 

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know I had all these options with a planned c/s. I love that we can support each other in all kinds of births. Now I have more to discuss with my doctor. Thank you for giving some of the power back to me!

I hope other women know that I would choose VBAC if I could! 

I'm sure no one doubts that! And I hope I didn't come across as saying that you should... I just have had a lot of experience with this area in my doula work and wanted to make sure you know your options. I really love the Family-Centered Cesarean article on ICAN, and I actually have all of my clients read it, even those planning a natural birth. There is another one I also give to my clients, especially those having a VBAC or planning a c-section, which is actually a sample birth plan for a family-centered cesearean, written by the president of ICAN: http://prepforbirth.com/2010/10/16/family-centered-cesarean-plan/  Both of these would be great to read and even print off to discuss with your doctor.

When I asked if they would let you go into labor before, it wasn't to say that you should labor and have a VBAC, it was actually for you to ask whether they'd let your body go into labor and *then* do your c-section, rather than just scheduling it and not letting your baby experience any labor at all... This way your baby is signaling to your body that it's ready to be born, instead of being taken out before it's time. Babies who are allowed to experience labor before being born by cesarean tend to do better afterward.

If this was something they might be willing to do, then you wouldn't want to schedule a cesarean until at least 41 weeks, to give your body ample time to go into labor. Some doctors are willing to do this, recognizing the benefits of labor for babies, but others enjoy c-sections for their predictability (and their occurrence during the day, rather than the middle of the night) and won't even consider it.

#18 of 45 Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM

I will probably have a planned c-section (even though I'm gonna try to make myself go into labor as we're hoping for a Fourth of July baby). I've had two c-sections. My first was an all natural birth due to extreme pre-eclampsia. I had a really, really hard time having her and she only weighed 5 lbs, 2 oz. Plus, I freaked out and pushed against contractions and tore badly. I thought if I didn't hurry up and get her out she was gonna suffocate. I'm assuming it was because of the high blood pressure meds and things they were pumping in me. So, when it was almost time for me to have DD2, my OB at the time thought it would be best to do a planned c-section to save my body some stress. My c-section with her went great. I recovered quickly. No problems at all. However, if I had known then what I know now, I would've had her naturally. I had the same OB with DD3 and she was adimant that I couldn't handle a VBAC, so it was an "emergency" c-section with her since I went into labor on my own. With this one... I'm up in the air about a VBA2C. I'm extremely achy down low... ALREADY. The OB I'm going to now is supportive of VBACs and even does them, however the local hospital doesn't allow a VBAC or trial of labor after two c-sections. So, that would mean I'd have to go all the way to Chattanooga (Erlanger) or Nashville (Vanderbilt) for a VBA2C, either of which is about two hours for us. My boss isn't very supportive of time I'm having to take off from work due to the pregnancy, so why give him more to fuss about? If I wasn't working, I'd definitely go for the VBAC. But since I am working and plan on returning to my job after the baby, I feel I must tread lightly and that means possibly sacrificing my desire to have a natural birth.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#19 of 45 Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlize View Post

I will probably have a planned c-section (even though I'm gonna try to make myself go into labor as we're hoping for a Fourth of July baby). I've had two c-sections. My first was an all natural birth due to extreme pre-eclampsia. I had a really, really hard time having her and she only weighed 5 lbs, 2 oz. Plus, I freaked out and pushed against contractions and tore badly. I thought if I didn't hurry up and get her out she was gonna suffocate. I'm assuming it was because of the high blood pressure meds and things they were pumping in me. So, when it was almost time for me to have DD2, my OB at the time thought it would be best to do a planned c-section to save my body some stress. My c-section with her went great. I recovered quickly. No problems at all. However, if I had known then what I know now, I would've had her naturally. I had the same OB with DD3 and she was adimant that I couldn't handle a VBAC, so it was an "emergency" c-section with her since I went into labor on my own. With this one... I'm up in the air about a VBA2C. I'm extremely achy down low... ALREADY. The OB I'm going to now is supportive of VBACs and even does them, however the local hospital doesn't allow a VBAC or trial of labor after two c-sections. So, that would mean I'd have to go all the way to Chattanooga (Erlanger) or Nashville (Vanderbilt) for a VBA2C, either of which is about two hours for us. My boss isn't very supportive of time I'm having to take off from work due to the pregnancy, so why give him more to fuss about? If I wasn't working, I'd definitely go for the VBAC. But since I am working and plan on returning to my job after the baby, I feel I must tread lightly and that means possibly sacrificing my desire to have a natural birth.

I am due July 4th! My hospital doesn't do VBACs at all and many women drive over an hour to the next state to have VBACs. I think it is sad that there is no choice at my local hospital. With DD I had the choice (different state) and tried for a VBAC. I know that I can't do a VBAC2 because of the shape of my pelvis (babies can't turn their heads) but I feel bad for women that could birth naturally.

I am also sorry your boss is putting you in a position where you feel you can't have a natural birth. You should be able to have the birth you want. C-sections require more recovery time. Can you get enough time off for a full recovery?

#20 of 45 Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM

When I went into labor with DD3 I was certain I could do a VBAC. The contractions began at 10 am or so and DH made me go to the hospital at 2 pm. I had dialated well, everything. But due to the hospital's policy I was taken in for an immediate c-section.

With a natural delivery, he would expect me back sooner. If I do the c-section, I plan on taking 8 weeks off. It's a bad situation since I only started here a few months ago. The job pays extremely well and I can't afford to lose it. As long as I heal like I did with the last two, I'm fine with it. But I'm still nervous since it's a surgery.

In the end, I'm okay with whatever I have to do as long as my babies are healthy.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#21 of 45 Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I got my c/s date today and it will be July 1st. I am happy with this because my ultrasound showed the baby due July 4th. My DD was 4 days early so my doctor is letting me go to basically full term. I also asked my doctor what would happen if I go into labor before that date and she said she would cancel clinic appointments and do the c/s (I was worried I would have to have it done by a back up doctor). She also told me she always has the mom see the baby right away before she cleans the baby up. This was my one request during my emergency c/s with both DC and it was not honored (two different doctors and hospitals). 

I am so glad I found women on this board that told me I have choices even with a c/s. I am also glad I decided to look for a new doctor after the one I had said I had no choice but to have the c/s at 38 weeks. 

Also I heard a heartbeat today!

#22 of 45 Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:

I got my c/s date today and it will be July 1st. I am happy with this because my ultrasound showed the baby due July 4th. My DD was 4 days early so my doctor is letting me go to basically full term. I also asked my doctor what would happen if I go into labor before that date and she said she would cancel clinic appointments and do the c/s (I was worried I would have to have it done by a back up doctor). She also told me she always has the mom see the baby right away before she cleans the baby up. This was my one request during my emergency c/s with both DC and it was not honored (two different doctors and hospitals). 

I am so glad I found women on this board that told me I have choices even with a c/s. I am also glad I decided to look for a new doctor after the one I had said I had no choice but to have the c/s at 38 weeks. 

Congratulations! It sounds like you found a good OB. Hopefully everything will go perfectly!

#23 of 45 Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Congrats! I'm really glad you've found an OB that will honor your wishes. It's very hard to find an OB that's looking out for you.

I meet with my OB on January 14th and I have many questions for her. When I had the last spotting episode I was referred to an OB I wasn't even familiar with because she was out of town for two weeks. (The OB was even from a different practice.) He didn't give a hoot about how I was feeling or anything. It was, "Well, if something is happening, it's happening. You'll have to just deal with it." I was like WTF?! Plus, I want to see if she will just let me go into labor on my own. I would much rather do that since my milk will come in faster and I feel it's better for the baby to at least have a trial of labor.

#24 of 45 Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks for keeping this discussion helpful and respectful.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#25 of 45 Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 AM

matty02: congrats on having such a positive attitude towards something that you'd rather not have to deal with. I'm very happy for you that you've found an OB that is willing to work with your wishes.  Best of luck with the rest of your birth planning. smile.gif

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#26 of 45 Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't intend to be rude or unhelpful. It had been a day or two since she posted, and didn't really have anyone posting. I honestly thought she would be able to find more mamas if she threw a wider net. I attempted to offer my support the best I could. I'm sorry it was viewed as rude, not my intention.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#27 of 45 Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Kriket: I didn't think of it as rude and knew what you were saying. When I posted this I was honestly wondering if anyone on here was having a planned c/s. I knew that I could ask a mainstream board but I wanted to know if there were women educated in natural births and attachment parenting in the same situation as me. I did not take your comment as rude at all because I assumed you were coming from a helpful place (which you told me you were). 

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. This is the first time I have planned a c/s and I am feeling very confident about my OB. She is a mom of young children herself and understands what a birth plan means! I encourage anyone to trust their instincts and go with a new doctor (or midwife) if they feel something isn't right.

#28 of 45 Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Hi Mamas!

I had my first two in hosp.... very 'traditional' birth with the first one and was do doped up on meds that they had to give me counter-drugs to wake me up so I could push.  Baby healthy and everything fine.  Second one was induced - more for the convenience of Dr. and that my mom was visiting and baby wasn't born on due date... so Dr. said pick you date and we'll induce.  Very intense and shorter labour, but not totally a bad experience.  Baby healthy and everything fine.  Third birth was planned homebirth with mw.  Started out immediately with intense back labout and laboured at home as long as possible; ended up not progressing and mw made decision to transport to hosp. for 2nd opinion.  Turns out baby was really stuck.  Choice was continue pushing... baby 'might' come out or 'might' get more stuck putting us both in critical situation, or opt for intervention and due cs.  BIG baby was born.  Healthy and fine.  Birth #4 was scheduled cs due to baby being transverse and no luck in turning before due date.  Turns out baby decided to start labour anyway a day before scheduled cs.  Ended up in ambulance to hosp. because of transverse position - must remain horizontal after water breaks due to risk of cord prolapse, etc.  So cs was 'emergency' because it was not the scheduled date.   With this pregnancy, most likely will need to have repeat cs due to - of all things - the incision on the uterus.  Usually it's horizontal, which it was for third birth, but because fourth birth was transverse, Dr. had to make vertical incision on uterus, which I'm told will mean higher risk of uterine rupture.  Need to discuss this with OBGYN at some point, but if need be, I'm okay with it.  Have given up on dreams of homebirth and realize health of baby and mom are the most important.  Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have a grandbaby born at home. 

chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 

teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF

#29 of 45 Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome and congrats on your pregnancy. I too would love a natural homebirth but I am okay that it isn't going to happen. Sounds like you did all you could to have the birth you wanted and I am glad to hear your baby was born healthy!

#30 of 45 Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 PM

Matyja - Not sure if you have a classical or inverted T or if that's even the same. Might I recommend checking out the ICAN boards (www.ican-online.org) -they will be able to direct you to the real research and risks. Your OB is likely to tell you you have to schedule so it might pay to arm yourself with info/research to make an informed decisions - that way you at least know you had the power if informed choice even if a c/s is indicated.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page