Negative hpt?? UPDATE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Okay, so I"m 11 weeks today, and I (for some odd reason) decided to take an extra hpt I had lying around an hour ago. The line that detects pregnancy is so faint I can barely see it!

So...I freaked out! I called my midwife and she says that it's perfectly normal for hcg levels to start going down at this time, and that the hpts are used to detect so early these days that she thinks it's probably normal.

Anybody have any experience with this?

I haven't had any m/c symptoms, and have had terrible morning sickness, sore boobs, fatigue, etc. So, hopefully I'm just worrying too much. I had a m/c a few months ago, and can not fathom going through it again. Any reassuring words or stories??

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#2 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You are worrying too much :) If you have no reason to suspect an issue I wouldn't put stock in an HPT being faint.

hugs!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I actually read a thread on another board about this once.  It's normal, and has something to do with the type of hcg or something else I can't remember.  If you want to test again, try *diluting* your pee with water first.  Personally, though, I wouldn't test again.  I will try to find the link.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#4 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a bit confused about the theory that this is normal.  confused.gif  HCG can start decreasing in the second trimester, but it should still be way higher at 11 weeks than it would be around 4-5 weeks, when most women get positive results.  And I've never heard of pregnancy tests not working later on in pregnancy, or that the type of HCG in your system changes. 

What I have heard of is pregnancy tests with very little dye, which would produce a faint positive even if you had tons of HCG in your system.  I think that's the most likely scenario in this case, since you've still got symptoms of having high HCG.  fingersx.gif  Personally, I would be freaked out, though, and I would insist on a blood test or an ultrasound or something.  But that's just me.  Good luck. 

#5 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Try doing a search on HPTs and the "hook effect."  Here is a journal article that outlines some possible explanations toward the end:

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijgo/vol6n2/test.xml

Also from that link:

"...most tests with multiple manufacturers test kits will present a hook effect problem at hCG levels >200000 mIU/mL in urine. This he has seen many times in his practice of research and has two simple answers. One, most devices have one antibody to site β1 and another to β-CTP or to the ?-subunit. The principal hCG-related ingredient in urine is “β-subunit core fragment”, a small break down product of hCG. This can account for up to 99% of the immunoreactivity. β-core fragment can saturate the β-site, but not the second site. This will block any hCG from forming a sandwich between the β1 site and the other site, and lead to a negative result known as “hook effect” or “prozone phenomenon”. Two, the manufacturers urine pregnancy test kit has an upper limit of 600000 which is based upon a standard that is predominantly β-core fragment. 10

Hook effect in itself is an infrequent event leading to false negative results and can be overcome by dilution of urine sample."

#6 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

It's not that the hcg is decreasing yet, but rather that it may actually be too *high* and is metabolized differently (resulting in different subunits of it being peed out) as levels rise.  I wouldn't test again, because it's too nervewracking, but if I were to re-test, I'd try diluting the urine in a cup before testing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post

I'm a bit confused about the theory that this is normal.  confused.gif  HCG can start decreasing in the second trimester, but it should still be way higher at 11 weeks than it would be around 4-5 weeks, when most women get positive results.  And I've never heard of pregnancy tests not working later on in pregnancy, or that the type of HCG in your system changes. 

What I have heard of is pregnancy tests with very little dye, which would produce a faint positive even if you had tons of HCG in your system.  I think that's the most likely scenario in this case, since you've still got symptoms of having high HCG.  fingersx.gif  Personally, I would be freaked out, though, and I would insist on a blood test or an ultrasound or something.  But that's just me.  Good luck. 

#7 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 PM

by "too high" i mean too high for the test's capabilities, not too high for the OP in general.  =D

#8 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, feeling alot better now.

And thanks Javilu for posting that info. My first appt. with the midwife is in a week, so I'm not sure if I want to just wait, or go in right away for an ultrasound. After reading up on it a bit, it sounds like everything is probably fine, seeing as I haven't had any m/c symptoms. Still nerve wracking!

#9 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 PM

I have really bad paranoia surrounding miscarriage, so I'm glad I could help a bit.  I'm now half-tempted to test myself to test the theory, and I am surely chock full of hcg right now (didn't there used to be a barfing smiley?).  But then, after what I've read, I wouldn't know whether to hope for a dark line or a light one!  =D

#10 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 PM

I agree with PPs...don't worry about it...plus you still have all your lovely 1st trimester symptoms.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#11 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javilu View Post

Try doing a search on HPTs and the "hook effect."  Here is a journal article that outlines some possible explanations toward the end:

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijgo/vol6n2/test.xml

Wow, okay, I'd never heard of that at all.  Thanks.  smile.gif

But I would note that the article also says:

Quote:
False negative results even if they are extremely rare, may mislead or result in a delayed diagnosis 11 and improper follow up or could have potential medical implications following mismanagement. Negative or inconclusive results in patients suspected of pregnancy should be further evaluated by serum quantification of hCG 2 and ultrasonography as demonstrated in this case.

So I'd agree with that aspect of the article.  I'm glad to hear you have an appointment soon, entiti.  I hope it goes well. 

#12 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I just thought of this...

When I did have my m/c a few months back, I showed a very positive hpt up until 3 weeks after the actual date of the m/c. So, that makes me feel a bit better. Still probably going to be pretty anxious until I see or hear my baby's heartbeatredface.gif

#13 of 14 Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!

Okay, so I tested again this morning (I know, I just couldn't help myself!), and it was a little darker but still faint. So, I read over the hook effect and Javilu's post, and tested again but diluted my urine this time, and the positive was just as dark as the other line, if not a little darker!!!!! Yay!! Feeling SOOOOOOOOO much better!!!joy.gif Thank you so much for posting all that info Javilu, you really saved me a week of stress!!!!!! Now I can breathe easy!

#14 of 14 Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Awesome!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page