Anemic...any iron recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just went for acupuncture for my migraines...the acupuncturist said the inside of my eyelids & mouth look very pale which means anemia.  Then I remembered that I was anemic with DS & got a lot of migraines when my iron was low.  Also explains why I get winded & my limbs feel so heavy sometimes.

I have Floradix & a chewable iron supplement.  I know all the food sources too, but I want to get my iron up quickly.  There seems to be so many types of iron though.  Any recommendations?

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#2 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would start using my cast iron skillet to cook EVERYTHING! And if you put a little orange juice in before, it brings out the iron content even more. I did that with my last pregnancy, and also ate a type of iron fortified cereal(honey bunches of oats w/vanilla) every morning that had 90% of the daily recommended dose of iron. It helped thwart off my mild anemia.

Oh...and I ate a med/rare steak once a week! Good luck mama:)

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#3 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Alfalfa pills are supposed to help raise your levels, even more quickly than other ways of raising them. I had a crazy super heavy period before I got pregnant (had gotten my Mirena out a month or two before, which apparently can lead to heavy bleeding- I had to empty my Diva cup seriously every hour or two and it was full every time!), and I cooked everything on cast iron and took alfalfa pills, and it really helped.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#4 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Floradix and red meat, beef stew, bone broth, steak, ground beef, whatever.

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#5 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM

I already do the cast iron skillet and liver, but my midwife thinks my exhaustion is due to anemia.  She recommened I start on Enzymatic Therapy Women's Iron (they are little black pills).  She said it is easily absorbed and it is a much higher dose then floradix.  She also said not to take with calcium.  They are available at most natural pharmacies (whole foods, pharmica, etc)

#6 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhope View Post

I already do the cast iron skillet and liver, but my midwife thinks my exhaustion is due to anemia.  She recommened I start on Enzymatic Therapy Women's Iron (they are little black pills).  She said it is easily absorbed and it is a much higher dose then floradix.  She also said not to take with calcium.  They are available at most natural pharmacies (whole foods, pharmica, etc)

Yes, calcium and iron counteract each other's absorption. The alfalfa pills are inexpensive and really work! I went to the ER and was anemic, took alfalfa pills for a few days, and when I had the follow-up test done, my levels were normal.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#7 of 11 Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 AM

It's not particularly "natural," but my MW with #2 recommended that I take Vitron-C tablets for anemia.  It's not super expensive, has vitamin C added to it, and is generally available OTC, though you may need to try a couple of places before finding it.  It works extremely quickly for me; with my second baby, I felt remarkably better within a week.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#8 of 11 Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I cannot use cast iron b/c I have a ceramic top stove.  I also cannot deal with the idea of eating filter organs like liver, even though I know they're high in iron.  I've read that combining heme (meat based) & non-heme (plant based) sources of iron is the best combo for absorption...along with the Vit C.

I can get Enzymatic Therapy supplements at my local health food store & I will look for Vitron-C (never heard of it).  I willing to take anything natural or not at this point b/c I am so exhausted. 

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#9 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Just wanted to add that I started the exzymatic therapy supplements and they make me kind of sick to my stomach.  I have been throwing up since I started taking them (for about 8-10 hrs after).  Not sure I am going to continue with them:(  Might just switch to floravital because I know my very sensitive stomach can handle them.  Just giving a heads up.  Wholefoods will take anything back with a receipt though, so I will give it another try before returning them.

#10 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for asking this.  Is floradix available over the counter?  Thanks...

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#11 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post

Thanks for asking this.  Is floradix available over the counter?  Thanks...

Yes. You can find it at any health food type of store. If you live near a Whole Foods, they have it. You can sometimes find it slightly cheaper on Amazon, depending on shipping. Look for "Floradix Iron Plus Herbs." Their cal-mag supplement is great too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page