Some dumb calculator - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was curious as to how much weight I "should" have gained by the 13th week....so I googled and there was some nifty calculator. It has you enter previous weight, height, due date, and how much weight you have gained so far. It says my 7 pounds :( is 5 more than I should have gained. And at a starting weight of 150, it put me into the OBESE catagory and said I should be gaining only 15 pounds total...so thats scary. Dumb calculator. I tend to gain 29-43... :(

#2 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Sometimes I wonder what all these nifty little tools are for. In the end it is different with each body, each pregnancy, each case of morning sickness.

I am sure you are not obese!!!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 AM

only 2 lbs by 13 weeks?! yikes! I've gained 14 by 15 weeks.

I wanted to only gain 15-25 lbs this pregnancy (I gained 70 and 80 with previous pregnancies and I've started this one 30 lbs over the weight I *should* be!)

However, the first trimester killed me. I had to eat what I could stomach - which was unfortunately a  lot of empty carbs.

I think everyone is going to gain differently. Of course my 70 and 80lbs were excessive - but I think that most of the time, as long as you are eating a diet that is mostly whole and fresh foods - you'll be fine. I haven't been eating that diet (oops) but I've been working on changing that now that I can eat semi-normally again :)

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#4 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM

I'll agree with the "dumb calculator" comment!

Every woman and every pregnancy is so different, how can any one calculator tell you what you should or should not gain? Talk to your OB/doctor/midwife and see what they say. You know your body best, and your health care provider knows you personally, so between you and them, you should be able to figure out how you're doing.

I'm quite - uhhh - fluffy? at the best of times redface.gif I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow and I've gained 3 lbs so far. I'm hoping to keep my weight gain at about 20-25 lbs. I have had little to no trouble with eating my normal foods - if anything, I'm finding smaller portions are more to my liking. So it's been relatively easy for me to keep my weight gain where I want it. If I were nauseous, you can darn well be sure I'd be eating whatever I could keep down.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#5 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Im supposed to be around 90-110 when not pregnant, which, even when I was a size 2, I was still "overweight" according to that....so now at 150, I'm "obese" :( but, whatever... I guess thats what happens when you have 4 kids in 6 years. ANYWHO, Im just trying to eat better but I do have a weakness for soda...Im trying to limit that to 1 per day, if that... and Im already on bedrest for a bit so thats adding to my belly, Im sure...but anywho... Im going to try and not stress too much. Pregnancy gives me enough to worry about anyway.

#6 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM

I NEVER drink soda (unless there's rum in it!) But wouldn't ya know that's ALL I've been craving this pregnancy! I've been able to avoid it pretty well by drinking flavored seltzer waters - maybe that would help for you too?

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#7 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 AM

can you tell me what you googled?  I am curious too.. I am "obese" too and I always gain 20-35 lbs.  I hate when the OB's start scolding me for gaining too much.  No matter what i eat, I always just gain what I gain... but I am curious about what site you used.  It is like a train wreck for me... I don't want to look but i just have to.  I am down 3 lbs from where I started, since I stopped drinking beer (my vice) when I got pregnant.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#8 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 AM

PS  Just out of curiosity, Emily, if at 150 you are "obese", is it because you are like 4'3 or something?  I would give my left one to be that weight.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#9 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post

PS  Just out of curiosity, Emily, if at 150 you are "obese", is it because you are like 4'3 or something?  I would give my left one to be that weight.

LOL - my thoughts EXACTLY!  I started this pregnancy at 235 and ended at 297...   I felt like i had an affair with the Pillsbury Doughboy.....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#10 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post

LOL - my thoughts EXACTLY!  I started this pregnancy at 235 and ended at 297...   I felt like i had an affair with the Pillsbury Doughboy.....

I started my first pregnancy at 167 and this one at 207. oops.  It figures though that i am VERY motivated to lose weight because I feel so crappy.. but of course I can't diet so I am focusing on healthy eating and getting my sorry butt to the gym on occasion. 

#11 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM

I always tend to lose some weight first trimester-- with my first, I actually lost about 15 lbs before I started gaining weight because I had such a hard time keeping food down. This time, though, my weight is pretty much the same at 15 weeks as it was pre-pregnancy, but I've been able to manage the food aversions and nausea way better this time than I have in the past (and thank goodness, too, since a half-day of puking is much harder to fit into the schedule when one has 3 other kids to chase around!). The problem this time is just trying to remember to eat-- I've had ZERO appetite for the past couple of months, so I've been indulging any craving that comes along-- chocolate croissants have been on my mind a lot, and avocados. Last week, I went on a hard-boiled egg and avocado

on toast diet for several days, since that was just about the only thing that looked edible, and then several days of split-pea and ham soup.

I'm 5'1, but "solidly built"-- I feel best 125-135lbs when I'm not pregnant, and was about 145 this time on the doc's scale-- I don't have a scale at home (I'm happy as long as my clothes fit!). In my 3 prior full-term pregnancies, I've tended to gain 25-30lbs, and I think my very highest weight right before a birth was around 165. My babies are always piggies, though, and I don't usually have trouble getting back to a comfortable weight (ie: back in to my normal clothes, since the numbers really don't matter to me), especially when I was tandem nursing DD2 and DD3-- then, I was hungry/eating All.The.Time, and still lost weight fairly quickly.   

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#12 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 AM

ugh this is definately a pet peeve of mine... i love how even in pregnancy women are made to scrutinize their bodies and weight. it makes me really sad.:(

in my first pregnancy with hyperemesis, even after losing weight in the beginning, i ended up gaining over 50 pounds which amazed me. i am very thin, and have always been skinny skinny and underweight. my doctor scolded me for gaining too much, but i couldn't do anything about it. i was terribly ill and for some reason the ONLY foods i could tolerate were extremely fattening fast food! after my baby was born i was back to my prepregnancy weight very quickly, i think due to exclusive breastfeeding.

even though i always felt totally validated in the weight that i gained, i still find myself worrying about weight in this pregnancy. it is sad.

i beleive every woman is different and unique, and our bodies do what they need to during pregnancy.

gillian (25). wife to aaron (24). stay at home mama to roman(3). baby two in heaven, lost @ 8 weeks. and new blessing asher! (july.22.2011)

blog: http://comesincolours.blogspot.com/ 

#13 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Well, I got on the scale and I am down 10 lbs now.  not on purpose.  I found a babycenter (or maybe it was babyzone) weight gain calculator and it won't calculate mine.  I have an OB appointment tomorrow, I will see what she says.  I am certainly not withering away to nothing but I of course want whatever is best for the baby.

#14 of 17 Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Lol, yeah, Im about 4'10.5" so the weight limits on that are ... looow. ":(

I saw my midwife today and she said "gain what you need to gain." and I thats good enough for me to not stress too much. sure,I may look like an oompa loompa for a month after the baby is born, but whatever. :)

http://www.thebabycorner.com/tools/pregnancy/calculators/weightcalculator.php

Thats the almighty calculator. :)

#15 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM

I'm 4'10" and started at 105.  I'm 13w3d and am now at...105.

Mr sB

#16 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyVorpe View Post

Yeah, Im supposed to be around 90-110 when not pregnant, which, even when I was a size 2, I was still "overweight" according to that....so now at 150, I'm "obese"

are you under 2 ft tall?  stupid calculator

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 17 Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyVorpe View Post

Lol, yeah, Im about 4'10.5" so the weight limits on that are ... looow. ":(

I have the same problem. I'm 5 feet even so my "ideal" weight according to the government standards is very close to the same range as yours. I want to say the upper limit is 110 or maybe 112. I haven't looked in a long time.

When I was pg with my 1st at 20 I started out at 105 and gained 30 lbs, which was a lot for back then. That's when everyone was still being told to only gain 15 lbs. By then end of the pg I weighed 135. With this pg, child #4, I started out close to that, at 130. LOL 20 years can make a big difference. With child #2 and #3 I gained around 45 lbs or so. I think I got up to 165 with child #2 and 167 with child #3. Both of those times I started out at 120. I've had a really hard time losing those extra 10-15 lbs since my last child. I'm hoping this time to keep the weight gain to a minimum, not more than 25 lbs., because I'm older so it's that much harder to lose weight now.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page