Nursing Mamas - Checking-In - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I know there are some of us here, but our thread fell by the wayside.  No wonder, as I'm sure we're all so busy, tired, etc.  I just wanted to see how everyone is doing.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think we're almost done. guilty.gif DD (2 yrs) was nursing 1-4x a day when we got the BFP in Nov., but now the milk feels gone and I can only tolerate about 30 seconds of her nursing 1x a day. She asks to nurse more (during the regular times) but I often redirect her with cuddles/water in a sippy cup. Nursing was her method of falling asleep so getting her to sleep w/out it has been more challenging,

Dry nursing is torture. scared.gif I feel awful for being unwilling to nurse more, i also feel grateful for being able to continue to nurse her as long as I have.

If she is willing I would be open to tandum nursing once the new LO has arrived. I have a feeling she will want that connection back once the milk comes back in.

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#3 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM

My DS (3.5 years) is still nursing at least once a day.  We tried to wean back in the summer, but he was not having it.  So here we are.  I'm not going to lie.  It hurts now.  I kind of wish he would wean already, but I feel like a monster for actually typing that out.  greensad.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM

DD is almost 20 months and I'm definitely encouraging her to continue. She's lost a lot of interest since my milk dried up, she normally nurses once or twice a day but isn't really latching right. She's completely night-weaned now. I really don't want her to wean so I hope she can continue and pick things up better once my milk is in.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM

I just stopped.  I feel badly about it but the pain was becoming excrutiating.

SAHM to 3 girls
#6 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM

13 weeks preg tomorrow, DS is 15 months, and still nursing strong. So far I still have milk. But I've been feeling like nursing has been taking a lot out of me. It's been especially hard since in the past few weeks I've had not one but 2 stomach bugs with vomiting and/or diarrhea, and DS had one of the stomach bugs plus a bad cold, PLUS he recently cut 6 new teeth all within 2 days! So he has been needing/wanting to nurse more than I feel I have to give. I've taken to letting him empty both sides and then handing him over to DH, screaming. greensad.gif I know nursing gives him comfort and he's just a little guy and it seems unfair, but I just can't take any marathon nursing sessions right now.

One good thing is we are making huge progress towards night weaning, which has helped me a lot to get more sleep. He nurses down to sleep, 1-2 times during the night, and once in the morning now. (As opposed to an all-night free-for-all!) So I hope that trend continues--it would sure make it easier once LO gets here if DS is completely night-weaned by then!

Despite the difficulties I'm still grateful to have my milk for however long I get to keep it, and I'm actually kind of excited about tandem nursing, lol!
#7 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM

My goal was to get to age 2, which we did (and after the 5 weeks total for my DS I am pretty proud of the 2 years!!) and then figured I'd try to do a little more to get through the winter. We are down to one, maybe 2 nursing sessions a day. The most persistant one is the nurse to sleep-not sure how to drop that one. But I HURT. My nipples are cracking and it is all I can do to continue most times. I think I still have milk, at least DD still seems to be swallowing as usual. But I do want to wean in the next month or 2 for good. I have no interest in tandem nursin-I have had too many problems with nursing to even think about doing it for 2 kids at one time. (and I have no issues with anyone who wants to tandem, it's just not for me!)

I'm hoping my milk tanks completely soon and DD loses interest-but I'm not counting on it.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#8 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM

My 28 month old DD nurses to fall asleep at night, once or twice during the night, and first thing in the morning.  Since I've been pg, and nursing started to give the most irritated (sometimes wretched) feeling, I tried to night wean, but her anger and distress (and then pleading, "nee-nee, mommy, PLEEAZE?!" over and over), broke me (that attempt at middle of the night weaning did help to limit nursing to once or twice--it was three or four times before then, and pg or not, I couldn't take it any more).  We're starting to potty train (learn), and soon to get her into her own room/bed at night, so I think I won't also torture her (and me) by taking away the nursing--will need that tool to help with at least the bed/room transition.  I have always secretly hoped my milk would change the more pg I get, and she'll just stop on her own.  Wishful thinking.  (although I won't mind the limited nursing--even tandem--IF the irritation/pain stops).

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

#9 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM

I'm really confused about what to do really.  If we weren't going on a solo vaca in April I'd just keep going and let DS do what he wants.  He's 16mo and nurses 3-4 times a day and once at night (after sleeping 10hrs then goes back to sleep for a few more).  I'm starting to hate pumping (at work twice a week) and wouldn't mind a break from that.  But I do love nursing, I only had a few days of discomfort earlier in the pg but now is fine.  BUT we're going on this vaca (sisters destination wedding) and I'm more scared to bring DS to mexico than I am to quit nursing (or leave him, although I'm pretty anxious about it)....  so I'm going to my first LLL meeting next week to get some input from some pros.  but I'd love some from you all.  Gradually Wean before we go? Cold turkey while we're gone and hope he resumes?  

ps totally off subject.  I wasn't done typing but it for some reason starts only letting me type at the beginning of the message?  Does that happen to anyone else?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#10 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM

We night weaned my 28 mo last month b/c the pain was too much and was keeping me awake all night.  Now he nurses 5-7 times a day.  It only hurts during let down on each side, but not a great feeling.  I am so grateful that it is not during the night though!  As for weaning, just not sure.  If everything goes well we will tandam nurse.  If complications arise (early contractions) then we will wean.  I am grateful he will be around 2 1/2 before that happens though so he will be a bit more mature and he can always start back up with the new baby if he likes:)

#11 of 34 Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM

DS is almost 20 monthes old and has cut back quite a bit.  He nurses 2-3x a day and has almost completely nightweaned himself, it has been so nice that he did it himself and I didn't have to!  I'm hoping he doesn't lose interest completely and quit before the baby is born.  I've tandem nursed twice before and think it helps with the toddler and new baby's bond alot as well as helping with engorgement!  I'm really hoping we get to do it again.

#12 of 34 Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

I'm really confused about what to do really.  If we weren't going on a solo vaca in April I'd just keep going and let DS do what he wants.  He's 16mo and nurses 3-4 times a day and once at night (after sleeping 10hrs then goes back to sleep for a few more).  I'm starting to hate pumping (at work twice a week) and wouldn't mind a break from that.  But I do love nursing, I only had a few days of discomfort earlier in the pg but now is fine.  BUT we're going on this vaca (sisters destination wedding) and I'm more scared to bring DS to mexico than I am to quit nursing (or leave him, although I'm pretty anxious about it)....  so I'm going to my first LLL meeting next week to get some input from some pros.  but I'd love some from you all.  Gradually Wean before we go? Cold turkey while we're gone and hope he resumes?  

ps totally off subject.  I wasn't done typing but it for some reason starts only letting me type at the beginning of the message?  Does that happen to anyone else?

From my experience, I've left DS two times while nursing.  Once at 11 months (gone for 4 days), and again at 21 months (gone for 6 days).  Both times he picked up *immediately* nursing when I returned.  I was pregnant the second time we were apart.  And, I don't think I've experienced the posting issue you're describing. 

As for my current nursing status:  We're still going strong, nursing 4+ times a day.  I would be shocked if DS decided to wean, he absolutely loves nursing.  I wish I loved it at the moment though...It hurts soooooo bad for the first 20-30 seconds every single time.  It kind of freaks me out when he's getting ready to latch.  Ouch!

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#13 of 34 Old 01-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
My goal was to get to age 2, which we did (and after the 5 weeks total for my DS I am pretty proud of the 2 years!!) and then figured I'd try to do a little more to get through the winter. We are down to one, maybe 2 nursing sessions a day. The most persistant one is the nurse to sleep-not sure how to drop that one. But I HURT. My nipples are cracking and it is all I can do to continue most times. I think I still have milk, at least DD still seems to be swallowing as usual. But I do want to wean in the next month or 2 for good. I have no interest in tandem nursin-I have had too many problems with nursing to even think about doing it for 2 kids at one time. (and I have no issues with anyone who wants to tandem, it's just not for me!)

I'm hoping my milk tanks completely soon and DD loses interest-but I'm not counting on it.

This is exactly where we were a couple of weeks ago. DD was down to nursing once or twice a day, always at nap time for sure. We went on a trip and while we were gone, she went a few days in a row without nursing. Once we got home we continued the trend. DD hasn't nursed in over two weeks!

We had a few days of her being upset when I said no to nursing. After about a week, she seemed to forget about it, except to occasionally say "booby sleeping."

I probably would have continued on for a while with the once or twice a day nursing, but it had gotten sooo painful, I couldn't stand it.

I'm glad we had that special relationship, but I'm also relieved that it's done and I'm going to get a little break before the next baby.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#14 of 34 Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

Quote:

From my experience, I've left DS two times while nursing.  Once at 11 months (gone for 4 days), and again at 21 months (gone for 6 days).  Both times he picked up *immediately* nursing when I returned.  I was pregnant the second time we were apart.  And, I don't think I've experienced the posting issue you're describing. 

As for my current nursing status:  We're still going strong, nursing 4+ times a day.  I would be shocked if DS decided to wean, he absolutely loves nursing.  I wish I loved it at the moment though...It hurts soooooo bad for the first 20-30 seconds every single time.  It kind of freaks me out when he's getting ready to latch.  Ouch!

That's encouraging!  I really do want to tandem if he wants.  So do I just leave or do I try to wean him a little before we go?  I think he's sort of slowing down a little.  Last night he wouldn't nurse before bed.  And he wouldn't nurse when he got up today.  But he did before his nap and just now (before a random nap YAY!).  I know my supply is less than it used to be.  I only get 1-3oz per breast when I pump at work but that never stopped him before.  I figure I'll mostly just go with it and do what ever comes, but it's just this stupid trip in between.  If only it could have been Hawaii then I would have brought him with, but Mexico freaks me out too much. 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#15 of 34 Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:

So do I just leave or do I try to wean him a little before we go?  

I just left and he didn't have any issue.  I did talk to him a lot about me going away and that he would be spending extra time with his grandma so he wasn't totally caught off guard.  DS is a major boob junkie so I don't think he'll ever wean..no matter how long we might be apart.  Good luck! 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#16 of 34 Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Yeah, it does it to me sometimes and I can't figure out why. I frequently have help typing, but even when he isn't helping it does it.

I think 21m DS is about done. I think it has changed flavor or at least decreased a lot. I had to night wean, it was time. It was preventing him from sleeping because every little wake up he had to nurse back to sleep. Now he can roll over and fall back asleep without nursing.

Otherwise, I am just doing the don't offer, don't refuse. Though, I will admit, when he signs milk I offer him a cup first. If he insists I'll let him nurse as long as he is actually nursing and not screwing around. He hasn't asked to nurse in days. I offered today, I came home from work and he was sick (think he got DHs stomach bug) he was so miserable and I knew it would make him feel better.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 34 Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM

My obgyn wants me to ween as of yesterday because I had pprom with the last pregnancy.  Reaching out to everyone for ideas and experiences with this. My homebirth midwife thinks it is fine to continue bfing as long as no contractions but ob says first contraction could be labor and there might not be any warning.  Thanks!

#18 of 34 Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

20 month old DS is nursing 3 times a day--bedtime, before nap, and once at night...well, early in the morning, I guess, because it's usually about 5 or 6 now.  I keep going back and forth on nightweaning, completely weaning, or tandem nursing.  I'd LOVE it if he weaned before the baby gets here, but he gets so excited about nursing that I can't see denying him that.  Seriously, it's his favorite part of the day.  And he's been really good about dropping down to 3 times/day and usually, I tell him all done after a few minutes and he's fine with that.  So I'm thinking it's probably not worth the upset, just to be done with the 5-10 minutes of nursing that he does total in a day.  With that said, it HURTS--especially the early morning one--so I'm hoping that he'll just lose interest.

My biggest concern with tandem nursing is that he'd want to nurse every time the baby does.  I think I'd be okay with nursing him 2-3 times a day, like we're doing now, but I don't want to do any more than that.  It just seems like if he saw a baby nursing 12+ times a day, he'd want to do that too.

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
#19 of 34 Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 AM

I'm working on nightweaning.  The nightweaning itself is going okay, but the nighttime parenting is going lousy and I'm EXHAUSTED.  I was hoping nightweaning would get us both more sleep, but so far it's not working.  However, I am feeling much better about nursing my son now that I have begun nightweaning.  I was feeling really lousy about nursing him and really lousy about the thought of tandem, but now that I've begun nightweaning I'm feeling better about the possibility that I might end up tandeming.  We'll see.  There's still plenty of time to go and there's a chance he'll wean completely.

#20 of 34 Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 AM

We've officially made the switch over the colostrum. She asked to nurse this morning and when she pulled away I saw some. Not enough to hand express, though. It was around this time when I was pregnant with DS that I needed nursing pads because I made a waterfall of colostrum, since he nursed during DD's pregnancy I didn't have that issue. She's really disinterested in nursing a lot of the time, I think if we can make it to 24 months I'll be okay if she weans but she still seems so young to me to stop nursing. I'm feeling really guilty about it. 

As far as tandem nursing, I did nurse a lot in the beginning with DS in order to help the transition. In hindsight I should have done a better job of designating breasts for them because he wanted ALL the milk and she had trouble gaining weight for a while. I anticipated having over-supply again and I wasn't prepared for dealing with low supply, so I did cut back on nursing him to once or twice a day eventually. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#21 of 34 Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I feel like I'm nursing more than ever.  Some people say that the taste of the milk changes even if you don't have a supply drop and that many babies don't like it.  If mine has changed, my son is loving it.  He's always been a big nurser, though.  He's still swallowing a lot and his diet hasn't changed much otherwise, so I am assuming he's still getting milk (he'll even gulp while nightnursing).  I want to keep nursing him, and I feel like it's our strongest connection right now because I haven't been able to do much else with him lately (go out and play, etc.) due to hyperemesis.  So I almost always say okay when he comes up to me to nurse.  Which is often.  When I'm feeling super sick or I just ate and need to let my stomach settle first, I will try to distract him, but I always eventually end up nursing him.

I think he's going through a lot developmentally, and that's wreaking havoc on his sleep.  He's never slept through the night, but he was down to just a couple nightwakings at one point and could sleep up to 4 hours at a time.  Now, he's really working on his language (trying to put two words together!), dealing with new strong emotions, and getting bigger by the second.  And he's having a heck of a time falling asleep at all and sleeping no more than 2 hours at a time.  He had started skipping his afternoon nap, which made things worse, but now he's back to napping and it helps a little bit.  But nighttime is really hard these days and I don't think nightweaning is the answer at all for him.  Fortunately, I am able to nap during the day with him, which is what is keeping me sane, I guess.

#22 of 34 Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM

We're done. DS (13 months) hasn't nursed since he turned one in December. I am now making raw milk-based formula for him. He loves it and it's great for him nutritionally. I tandem nursed #1 and #2 for two years and I know what I'd be getting into ... don't think I had it in me to do that again. ;) Weaning DS this past month was totally mutual ... I did it for me and for the new baby, too, and DS didn't mind a bit. He loves his raw milk!

#23 of 34 Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 PM

We haven't weaned yet but DS is starting to nurse less.  Up until a month or so ago, he would nurse usually 3-4 times during the day and once early in the morning.  Lucky me he's been STTN for the past month or so... goes to bed at 8, gets up at 6 for a nursing, then goes back to sleep til 8.  The last couple weeks he's been having a hard time going back to sleep when he wakes up at 6.  I dont know if it's because my supply has gone down and he's hungry or not as "lulled" back to sleep or if it's because maybe he's having some new seperation anxiety.  But Since he's down to twice a day now, my supply has really gone down.  I pump at work and only get about an ounce or two total now.  I'm not sad if he self weans because I would love the break, especially from pumping at work.  But I feel guilty to lead the weaning so I'm just doing what ever he wants still.  Sometimes he'll come sign for milk so I'll let him nurse and he just sucks for a second then goes about his way.  Let down now takes at least a couple minutes I think so maybe he's getting frustrated too.  

Sorry a little rambling... that's our nursing story for now.    toddler.gif

#24 of 34 Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM

My doctor is now on board with us continuing to nurse as long as I don;t notice a link between nursing and contractions:)  28mo has lessened feeds to maybe 4 a day, even Ion days I am home with him the whole time.  This it the lowest ever!!!  At 14wks he says my milk still taskes like icecream and is the same.  Hoping he self weans when the milk goes or that contractions never become linked- always looking for path of least resistance;)

#25 of 34 Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 PM

BUMP

Was just wondering how the other nursing mamas are doing. Who is still nursing? Who has switched to colostrum? Who still has milk? Who has lost their milk? Who has weaned on purpose and whose LOs weaned themselves?

We are still nursing but much less now, probably 3-4 times a day. DS is now 17.5 months and, in general, seems less dependent on nursing for comfort than he was a few months ago. Although he has his moments where he obviously really needs it.

Latching still hurts but I'm used to it now. I've definitely switched to colostrum (saw some and it was thick and yellowish) and I can tell the volume of milk has gone down because DS only nurses for a few minutes at a time now. He seems cool with it though.

I'm still planning to tandem and still excited about it, even though I know I'll probably feel like a walking boob for the first few months. (But I think I'll feel like that anyway with the new baby, so why not share the milk?)

I seem to be gaining weight slower this time (for me a good thing as last time it felt out of control) and I think it may have to do with nursing, and just chasing DS around in general makes me more active. I feel tired but I'm careful to eat well and eat enough, so I think it's just normal to be tired when you're preg and have a toddler!
#26 of 34 Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Still nursing here. DD is 27 months. We have night-weaned, and weaned from nursing to sleep, but still nursing 3-4 times a day, with wakeup being by far the longest session. No milk, no colostrum. She couldn't care less, although I'm thinking it might have made the nightweaning go a little easier- nothing worth fighting for.  I'm lucky in that since the 1st trimester, I haven't had any pain or aversion. I'm on the fence about tandeming, but it looks like it's what's going to happen. Unless some major change comes up, she's firmly attached to her "meemees"

#27 of 34 Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Still nursing my 24.5 month old. Only once or twice during the day, as well as before his nap and a handful of times overnight. And when he wakes up in the morning. I guess that's still pretty often, but it's less than before.

I only hear the occasional swallow lately. I don't think he minds much, though.

I'm 22 weeks tomorrow. When does colostrum usually start up? I've never been good at expressing so I guess I'll wait for his diapers to tell me!

#28 of 34 Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM

My 30 month son just weaned I think.  The milk seems to be gone and he isn't loving the taste of colostrum (always tasted like "green icecream" to him before and now tastes like "yellow icecream").  I was okay with him continuing to bf, and still am even though it hurts for those first 30 sec or so, but he mostly plays and tries to put my nipple in his ear or his eye for "ear milkies" or "eye milkies".  It has all been very natural and smooth and he knows that when the baby comes the milk will be back, but it just feels like he is getting ready to be completely done.  He stills nurses in the morning for 30 sec and sometimes at night for the same or less.  Such a big boy!  Amazing that only 3 months ago he was nursing 5x a day!

#29 of 34 Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

I think we're weaned too.  He's only 18 months but as much as I offer he doesn't want it.  He cut back to before nap and bedtime about 2 months ago and has been STTN since then.  I think he just gets frustrated that there's nothing there.  I can occasionally get him to be interested enough to try but he does about 2 sucks and is done.  It went by easily and gently for both of us so I'm happy about that.  I'm not sad about the break between the two since I'm already not looking forward to those first weeks of engorgement but I'm hoping that he'll resume once the supply comes back after LO is born. 

#30 of 34 Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 AM

I am 25 weeks pregnant and my soon to be 3 year old son is still nursing to sleep, throughout the night, first thing in the morning, and during the day sparingly (when he doesn't feel well).  He had a stomach bug last week so stopped eating his regular amount of table food (and lost a little weither) atching more often and for longer because of that.  The past few nights I had to limit his nursing time because he was latched so often (and I was uncomfortable).  I am assuming he is getting something.

I am reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing and highly recommend it for anyone considering doing it.  I am learning a lot!

When does colostrum typically start to come in?  I know it can be different for everyone...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page