Anterior Placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had an ultrasound today and everything looked awesome! The baby was going crazy in there!  It was so fun to see it kicking and moving! However the ultrasound tech said I had an anterior placenta which means I might not feel much movement and that my partner might not ever be able to feel the baby kick?!! I am sooo sad, that is the best part of pregnancy. Has anyone had an experience with this? Thanks!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found another thread on it here.  I hope that helps!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Yep, I had an anterior placenta with my son, and I didn't feel movement for sure until 21 weeks (but I was also a first timer.) My DH finally felt movement from the outside towards the end of my pregnancy, like the last 2 months or so. It was a little frustrating because I wanted him to feel what I was feeling! But I guess it being my first pregnancy was a blessing because it was ALL new to me so I didn't dwell too much on what I was missing.

Of course I'm hoping to feel more movement this time around, but an anterior placenta is really not so bad-- in a way it was comforting to know that my little one was so snug protected by that layer of placenta.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM

I had one with DD and didn't feel movement until 19 weeks (and she was my 2nd) but after a couple more weeks DH could feel everything with no problem. i suspect I also did with my DS as I didn't feel anything until 23 weeks (my 1st) but in about a week DH could feel as well. So other than feeling things later, nothing else changed.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Mizyellow, you beat me to this post.  I was going to ask the same question.  I'm almost 15 weeks, and I know my last pregnancy I was feeling movement (bubbly, scratchy type things) by now, but this time around, nothing.  The ultrasound tech at the peri who mentioned my anterior placenta last week did say that my tilted uterus has already tipped back into "regular" position, and that the placenta may move as well.  The crazy, constant movements of my DD always kept me appeased as to her health.  If I feel a lot less movement this time, I know paranoia will set in.  I'll try to take radicaleel's philosophy, however, and think of the placenta as extra protection.

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM

I had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy (which was also my first) and I felt the baby move A LOT.  We called him "Bam Bam," in fact, because he was so kicky.  And my partner, various friends, and even a few interested coworkers all had no trouble feeling him kick, too.  I wasn't really sure what I was feeling until around week 20, and my partner probably couldn't feel anything until about a month later, but I think that's also pretty standard for first pregnancies.  Try not to worry.  That u/s tech doesn't know what your experience is going to be.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM

I had an anterior placenta with DD3 and I felt her move very early on and later during the pregnancy you could even see her moving through my skin (make sense?). Everyone was able to feel her move early on too.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM

This is my 3rd pregnancy and first time with an anterior placenta. I am worried about not feeling much movement too. In fact, at my 11 week appt we couldn't find the heartbeat.. I was petrified. I thought the baby was gone...  Then my MW did a quick ultrasound, and there the baby was kicking away!

I am curious to hear others' experiences.

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM

DDCC. I'm 27w with an anterior placenta. I felt baby move early but I don't feel the baby move as much as I did with my others. I feel more "tap dancing" toward the bottom of my uterus but other movements are less pronounced. It kinda freaks me out but everything I read says it's normal! I wouldn't worry.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM

I have an anterior placenta, too-- this is my 4th pregnancy that's made it this far (17 weeks), and I'm not feeling nearly as much movement as I did with 1-3. Baby has been really active on all the sonos I've had, so I'm not worried, but it is a little disconcerting to not feel as much.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Update:  I am actually feeling him move around alittle in there these days and I am only 15 weeks. I don't feel him in the front but on the sides. It is soft as can be but there and def not gas. So I feel a little bit better.. I am pretty small  I wonder if this is why I can feel him.

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm 17w2d, anterior placenta, and still haven't felt any movement.  My first pregnancy, I knew I felt a lot of movement by now.  Also, is anyone else experiencing a lot of tenderness in her uterus--from external pressure (like from pants or from pressing with your hand), or even just a general achiness?  I cannot recall if I felt this way previously, and I'm not sure if it's attributable to the anterior placenta, is normal regardless, or just having to care for a toddler, who periodically loves to knee or jump onto my belly.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinstar View Post

I'm 17w2d, anterior placenta, and still haven't felt any movement.  My first pregnancy, I knew I felt a lot of movement by now.  Also, is anyone else experiencing a lot of tenderness in her uterus--from external pressure (like from pants or from pressing with your hand), or even just a general achiness?  I cannot recall if I felt this way previously, and I'm not sure if it's attributable to the anterior placenta, is normal regardless, or just having to care for a toddler, who periodically loves to knee or jump onto my belly.

Yes! I've noticed my belly is pretty tender, and it's not something I remember either time before... I don't know the position of my placenta, but I also haven't felt much movement, except on the sides, so I am suspecting that it's anterior. With DD I felt movement starting at around 13/14 weeks, and from the outside by this point, with DS I was 15 weeks when I first felt movement and only a couple of weeks further when I felt movement from the outside.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yes! My uterus feels like it hurts! I sometimes think the pain is gas but it can be a little intense and rough! I am glad you posted this I am glad I am not the only one 

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM

I will be 18 w tomorrow and have anterior placenta.  This is my 3rd time having it.  Last time I did not feel movements until 20 weeks.  I have a doppler and I check the Hb 1x a week.  My Dr says that is ok.  I will do this until I get more movement and then only get the doppler at my Dr visits.  I have only done it 3x so far.

Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Just learned today that I have an anterior placenta. I didn't know the placement of my other 3 placentas with previous children (I didn't ask) but I do know I haven't felt the baby quite as much as the last babies. Frequency and intensity of movement is definitely picking up though. I'm 19 weeks.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM

After a couple of intervening peri visits, I had my standard 4 week check up with my OB (actually saw the midwife), and she confirmed that less movement is felt in early pregnancy with an anterior placenta.  (Makes sense, too, when just considering anatomy positioning.)   Last weekend, when I was 19w3d, I was lamenting/worrying on Saturday that I've hardly felt the baby move at all, and then all of a sudden on Sunday, I started to feel stronger movements (often like he or she is kicking my coccyx area--weird feeling, but makes sense on baby & placenta positioning), which have regularly continued through out the week (I'm 20 weeks today).  Finally!

The midwife didn't think, however, that the tenderness I've been experiencing in my lower abdomen area is related to the anterior placenta (so much so, I can't wear low rise maternity pants because they press in exactly where it's tender).  She said it might be from the stretching of the muscles/ligaments/uterus that were already weakened by my first pregnancy.  She suggested a support band, but I think that will just press exactly where it hurts.  I'm not convinced.  Anecdotally on these boards, other women (like those of you above), with anterior placentas have noted their tenderness/soreness, esp when they haven't experienced it in prior pregnancies where their placentas were not anterior.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM

I think I could pretty much draw you an outline of where my placenta is, because I NEVER feel movement there. I feel movement low and on the sides and top, and more on the left side than the right. I've just really started being able to feel more movement in the past week or so though, I'll be 20 weeks on Saturday. I will be really interested to see when I have my ultrasound where it actually is and if I'm right.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org

User Tag List