Gestational Diabetes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
slaggyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ugh. Just got the results from my one hour glucose test from last week and I failed it. I'm not surprised since I had GD with my daughter, but it's still a bummer.  Off to do the 3 hour next week! 

slaggyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 PM
 
melinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry you had to take the early test and now have to do the 3 hour!!

 

I thought I was going to be right there with you.  Bc I had GD with my first pregnancy, my midwife (at my OB practice) wrote me a script for the GC test at my 8 week appt.  Knowing what the feels-like-starvation and definite deprivation of the GD diet, I avoided taking the test, because of the holidays, traveling, etc.  I then finally set it up to take during my next standard check up at 16 weeks (a week and a half from now), but last week I had my high risk ob (peri) appt, who said I didn't have to do the early GC test.  He said my 8 weeks blood work showed a blood sugar of 70 (didn't even know it was being tested), and that early GC tests are now thought to be unreliable, although a lot of OBs haven't jumped on board with that yet, and that I don't have to take the GC test till 26 weeks.  I can't tell you how thrilled I was to hear that!! (and glad I had been a procrastinator).

 

I'm skeptical about the whole GC test, but I'll take it again at 26 weeks, and if I fail, I figure going on a diabetic diet, while no fun, is really just a strict, healthy way of eating, so I won't question authority on this one too much.  (I will, however, do a little walking around this time, rather than just sit there--it's just so unnatural to drink all that sugar and then sit for an hour--or 3.)


Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

melinstar is offline  
#3 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
 
SuburbanHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: finally out in the country
Posts: 1,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I failed my one hour too.  No surprise though as I've failed it every time.  I always pass the 3 hour GTT though.  I did again this time.  At least I assume I did because the OB never called me to tell me otherwise.  I still need to watch my sugars though.  I've had some big babies.  My last was 10 lb 12 oz and had shoulder dystocia. 


Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

 


 

SuburbanHippie is offline  
#4 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
 
noahs.mom06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow I didn't even know they did GD tests this early! I don't even think I had a test at all during my last pregnancy, and I'm not planning on having one this time either... but I've never had GD and I grow little babies, so I guess I'm not at risk. I hope your follow-up tests all come back negative!


doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
noahs.mom06 is offline  
#5 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
 
cales27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found out today that I failed too.  And I have been stressing out about it all morning!  The last time I took it (late October), I passed no problem... This time, not so lucky.  The nurse finally called me a half hour ago to schedule the 3 hour GTT.  Not really looking forward to that - but I guess it's good to find out if I have GD or not... Ready or not, Friday is the day.  I just don't like this, because this is my first pregnancy, and I obviously want it to be a healthy one... and I really, really don't want to have GD!

Is this something I should be stressing about?  I've read a few posts on the board, and have calmed down a lot - but there is always that little nagging feeling in the back of my head, that will be there until after the results on Friday... Ugh!


Momma to our beautiful daughter (3/2011) and expecting another peanut in 12/2012.

cales27 is offline  
#6 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
 
SuburbanHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: finally out in the country
Posts: 1,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs.mom06 View Post

Wow I didn't even know they did GD tests this early! I don't even think I had a test at all during my last pregnancy, and I'm not planning on having one this time either... but I've never had GD and I grow little babies, so I guess I'm not at risk. I hope your follow-up tests all come back negative!

 

They did my test early this time because of my history of big babies and failing the 1 hour glucose test.  I was also having some symptoms of sugar issues.  Like I would drink juice and feel high about 10 minutes later.  I would check my pupils because I really thought they were going to be dilated or something.  It was weird.  That has subsided though thankfully. 
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by cales27 View Post

I found out today that I failed too.  And I have been stressing out about it all morning!  The last time I took it (late October), I passed no problem... This time, not so lucky.  The nurse finally called me a half hour ago to schedule the 3 hour GTT.  Not really looking forward to that - but I guess it's good to find out if I have GD or not... Ready or not, Friday is the day.  I just don't like this, because this is my first pregnancy, and I obviously want it to be a healthy one... and I really, really don't want to have GD!

Is this something I should be stressing about?  I've read a few posts on the board, and have calmed down a lot - but there is always that little nagging feeling in the back of my head, that will be there until after the results on Friday... Ugh!

 

I don't think it's anything to stress over.  You don't have any control over it anyway.  If you end up with GD, you have to carefully monitor your diet to make sure you don't end up with type 2 diabetes after the baby is born.  I think the baby also runs a risk of having low blood sugar at birth because it will be used to the sugars momma is passing through.  Hopefully, you'll pass it and be just fine!  Even if you end up with it, you can still monitor it by altering your diet and be just fine!
 


Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

 


 

SuburbanHippie is offline  
#7 of 27 Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If baby has a major sugar crash right after birth, all you have to do is breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed. Not sure if you'd be allowed to do that in a hospital. They might swoosh the baby away for whatever hospital protocol is.


knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#8 of 27 Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 AM
 
cales27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just had the GTT today and just got the results back - and I passed.  Not even borderline or anything!!  Such a fantastic feeling!!  


Momma to our beautiful daughter (3/2011) and expecting another peanut in 12/2012.

cales27 is offline  
#9 of 27 Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
 
heavensearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by cales27 View Post

Just had the GTT today and just got the results back - and I passed.  Not even borderline or anything!!  Such a fantastic feeling!!  



Yay!!! I failed the 1 hour one at 8 weeks I think it was and passed the 3 hour with flying colors!


Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

heavensearth is offline  
#10 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
 
fertilemyrtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can someone tell me, in general, what the GD diet is if you're diagnosed?

 

My dad has Type 2, but he has a terrible lifestyle, whereas I'm super healthy. I'm a little worried that perhaps I'm prone to diabetes because of him.   Nevertheless, I don't think GD is even always an accurate "syndrome", and I question even doing routine screening for all pregnant women.   I just want to know what the protocol would be if I decide to be screened, and if I don't pass.   Not the protocol for the test, but the diet and situation if I'm labeled with GD. 

 

thanks in advance!

fertilemyrtle is offline  
#11 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
 
melinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you're diagnosed GD, you'll take your blood sugar four times a day.  First thing in morning (fasting), then an hour after every meal.  The maximum bs levels for pg women are much less than for "regular" diabetics.  To be diet controlled, you'll have to watch all your carb and sugar intake.  Every time you eat a carb, you'll need to pair it with a lot of protein to keep your bs in check.  It turns out to be very Atkins-like, because even many fruits and veggies can spike your blood sugar.  I called it the starvation diet, because how much protein can you eat?  Cheese is great, but sometimes you need a cracker.  Hamburgers taste better on buns (and with french fries).  Hard boiled eggs get old fast.  You can't even eat apples (without loading up the peanut butter).  Of course, cakes, cookies, candies, chips are out, but so are pretzels, popcorn, carrots, bananas, pineapple, etc, the list goes on.  Not to be all doom and gloom.  I only gained 20 lbs during my first pregnancy because of GD (and a lot of that was from edema), so I lost it all (and more because of nursing and not having time to eat with a newborn) within the first couple weeks.  Also, diet controlled is much better than having to take insulin.  I did find cheats, like eating ice cream after my evening bs test since i wouldn't be testing till morning, and taking a walk after meal, esp if it was more carb heavy than allowable.  Also, tons of sausage on a slice of pizza lets the occasional slice make it through. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilemyrtle View Post

Can someone tell me, in general, what the GD diet is if you're diagnosed?

  


Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

melinstar is offline  
#12 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
 
javilu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think my OB/midwife group is trying to label me as GD.  I did fail my 1-hour glucola test, but passed the 3-hour with flying colors, but this time they want me to do an A1C like *now* (to see if I have pre-existing diabetes) and of course the glucola test later, too.  I don't know why they're so GD-happy here.  I have hyperemesis and ended my pregnancy only 8 pounds higher than I started it (lost 10+ pounds in my first trimester).  My son weighed six pounds.  I can't imagine what he would've weighed if I'd been on a restricted diet.  Anyway, with all the testing they're pushing on me, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up here with y'all.  We'll see!


SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
javilu is offline  
#13 of 27 Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
 
melinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


That's very perplexing. Especially when you weren't GD with your first pregnancy, and had far from a large baby, which is the main concern of GD diagnosis & treatment. You could refuse the early test--or just passively "forget" to do it until 26 weeks (but it's also hard to thwart the direct orders of your ob/midwife).  As I mentioned above, my peri just told me that early glucose tests, even for women with previous GD pregnancies, are now considered unreliable and not recommended, but a lot of obs haven't gotten on this trend yet (as mine hadn't--I just told my ob today about the peri saying I don't need to take the early test, and she said fine--didn't even bat an eye).  Maybe there's medical literature out there you can read--and then share with your ob if they insist. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javilu View Post

I think my OB/midwife group is trying to label me as GD.  I did fail my 1-hour glucola test, but passed the 3-hour with flying colors, but this time they want me to do an A1C like *now* (to see if I have pre-existing diabetes) and of course the glucola test later, too.  I don't know why they're so GD-happy here.  I have hyperemesis and ended my pregnancy only 8 pounds higher than I started it (lost 10+ pounds in my first trimester).  My son weighed six pounds.  I can't imagine what he would've weighed if I'd been on a restricted diet.  Anyway, with all the testing they're pushing on me, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up here with y'all.  We'll see!




Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

melinstar is offline  
#14 of 27 Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
 
javilu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Honestly, I think it's ethnic profiling.  Yes, there is a preponderance of diabetes in my ethnic group, but I have zero family history of it and no personal history, either.  I did end up getting the A1C test (even after I told them a medication I had been on during the past 120 days can cause temporary hyperglycemia) because I was tired of arguing with them, but I will definitely decline/delay any attempts to get me to do the glucola test early.  Hope my medication didn't mess with my A1C too badly, though (I'm off the medicine now).


SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
javilu is offline  
#15 of 27 Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

I failed my one hour too.  No surprise though as I've failed it every time.  I always pass the 3 hour GTT though.  I did again this time.  At least I assume I did because the OB never called me to tell me otherwise.  I still need to watch my sugars though.  I've had some big babies.  My last was 10 lb 12 oz and had shoulder dystocia. 


 

I know it's not a contest...but... my now 6 yr old boy was 11 lb 13.4 oz at birth and I was not tested for gd with him as protein/sugars were fine throughout.  With his sister, who's now 3, I did have protein/sugar issues and ended up on insulin.  She was 9 lbs 3 oz at birth... "small" compared to her brother!  Interesting that ds had high blood sugars at birth, but dd had no issues.   I'm thinking this time I'll just monitor protein/sugars and hope to not have to take the gt test at all. 


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
#16 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 05:33 PM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While I disagree with routine GD testing of all pregnant women, it looks like I'm going to have an early 1 hour GTT. I take metformin, an insulin regulating drug, for PCOS to prevent miscarriage during the 1st trimester. Even though my A1C has always been fine and I have never been diagnosed with insulin resistance or GD, the MFM doc I saw said the PCOS does put me at a higher risk of developing GD.

Today is my last day of taking the metformin. Yay! The MFM doc wants me to do a 1 hour GTT 3 days later just to make sure my blood sugars don't go crazy from stopping the met. I wasn't going to do it until I talked to my MW about it. She said that since I have always failed the 1 hour test in the past (even if I pass the 3 hour) that does indicate that I have some sort of blood sugar issue. shrug.gif That coupled with the PCOS and taking the met puts me in a different category from routine.

I was on the GD diet when I was pg with ds2 because the OB I was seeing said he wanted to treat me as if I had GD even though I passed the 3 hour test just to be safe because of the PCOS and being on met. I was starving at first so I talked to the nutritionist and she told me how to add more food so I wasn't hungry anymore. I didn't find it too restrictive but maybe I cheated a bit. I'm not a big fan of white breads or fruit juice or bananas and such. I still ate whole grain bread and fruit and cakes but used artificial sweeteners and, like was previously said, always had cheese or peanut butter with my fruit. My blood sugars were always low. Honestly, the only reason I agreed to the diet was because I thought it would keep me from gaining too much weight. I still gained about 45 lbs and my ds was 8 lbs, 7 oz, not huge but certainly not small, either.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#17 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far I'm monitoring urine for sugar and ketones, which I know I had to do when I was on insulin. I'm hoping the Dr. will agree that as long as sugar stays negative, I won't have to do any testing.  Also for me, the difference between this pregnancy and the last is that I started out 7 lbs lighter (not a huge deal I know), but so far in 14 weeks have only gained 1 pound.  I'm really trying to not gain much or any weight if possible.. I'm considered 'obese' to begin with, although healthy if that makes any sense, so I don't expect to gain much.  For my first baby, I gained 60 pounds if you can believe it!  WAY outta control... pregnant in the summer and too many walks to the ice cream hut I guess.  ROTFLMAO.gif


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
#18 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 AM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need to gain at least 20 lbs, don't you?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#19 of 27 Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Depending on your pre-pregnancy weight, you may not need to gain much at all.  I had an appt this morning and said to the Dr. that I planned on not gaining "very much if any weight" and she seemed to think that was fine.  Because of my past GD I said I would be closely monitoring urine sugars, and as long as those continued to be negative, I didn't want to have any further testing.  She was very supportive of this, being that it is not my first pregnancy.  She said at this point, the most she would advise is that I follow a diabetic diet, which really I have been doing all along.  Not difficult to follow during the first trimester, as I seemed to have survived mostly on pickles and ginger tea due to the nausea! Plus I've learned from the last experience that it really is a benefit to mom and baby to choose healthy, nutritious food (and the occasional treat) because you only have nine months to make it the best start in utero before baby is exposed to all the other toxic things in life.  So... I give up coffee and Hagen Daas ice cream for the time being.  thumbsup.gif


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
#20 of 27 Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I understand that you may not need to, and actually probably shouldn't, gain much weight if you are already overweight but you need to at least gain the weight of the pregnancy. If I remember correctly, the weight of the baby and placenta and amniotic fluid and all of that is about 15 lbs toward the end. I'd be concerned that gaining less than that could result in a low-birth weight baby. My thinking is that as long as you are eating healthy foods when you are hungry, getting enough protein, not eating a lot of sweets and high fat content foods, and exercising you shouldn't gain too much. Limiting calorie or food intake could be dangerous, though.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#21 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I definately wouldn't say I'm restricting calories.. I've never been a calorie counter type of person.  During my 1st tri. I could barely eat anything - esp. not protein or dairy.  Since 2nd tri started, I seem to be making up for the lack of protein, as it's the first thing I have with every meal.  I used to eat yogurt and cheese every day - so far this jellybean doesn't seem to be a big fan of either one, so I might have 1 tbsp of yogurt now and then... to satisfy my ice cream craving.  

 

On a different note... I noticed your oldest is 19 and your youngest is 3.  That's like me.  My oldest is 20 and youngest is 3.  We haven't even told the older kids yet that we're pregnant - and they haven't seemed to notice anything on their own.  They've always said that if we were to have any more kids - they would move out.  Hmmm... I suppose that could be to our advantage (!).  But really, I think we're going to wait as long as possible to tell them because I'm not sure how they'll react.  What does your oldest think of having another, very younger sibling?  19 years difference is almost like another generation in a lot of ways.


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
#22 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, gotcha. I just get concerned that someone might be trying to restrict calories while pg.

My oldest will be 20 in March. He was almost 13 when his first sibling was born. He has not been happy about any of them. He's actually reacted a lot better this time than before. He still says I don't need to have any more babies (as if he would know what I need) but he's not angry about it like when he was 12 or weirded out when he was 16.

I'm torn about having him move out. In some ways, he's very helpful when he's here. A year ago I was not ready for him to move out but now I am.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#23 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
 
javilu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My dad's eldest sibling is about 20 years older than him.  They're in their late 50s and late 70s (respectively) now, and my aunt is like a matriarch and really enjoys that role.  I know it's waaaaay down the road for your son and he can't grasp it now, but maybe one day he will also be that sort of figure in the family.


SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
javilu is offline  
#24 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 PM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I'm not worried about it. He's a pretty good big brother, just a little immature sometimes, but he is still a teenager.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#25 of 27 Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 PM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you find that sometimes there really is no difference between parenting the younger ones, and parenting the teens? 
I mean they both want independence yet still need their parents, and they are always testing the boundaries, and they can all be very moody at times.  The only difference is that the younger ones can't drive!  Oh wait a minute... yes they can.. they can drive us nuts! 
jumpers.gif
 


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
#26 of 27 Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 AM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LMAO, matyja! Yes, it is very similar. I read somewhere once that teens are equivalent in emotional maturity to younger children minus 10. In other words, a 13yo is like a 3yo and a 19yo is like a 9yo. I think my ds is about 2 years behind the norm. While most teens could get a first job by the time they are 16 or 17, my ds wasn't really ready for that until he was 19. He's finally gotten to the point where he doesn't have a huge emotional meltdown when he doesn't get what he wants. It is difficult when you have teens and babies because it's like having two separate lifestyles.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#27 of 27 Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's funny to hear the older ones tell the younger ones : When you're older (like 20 or 30) we'll do this and that and go here and there.  Meanwhile I don't think the older ones realize that when their younger sibs are 20 or 30, they'll be 40 or 50!  By then we'll be ancient Grandmas and all this talk of GD and C/S will be distant memory...   Let's enjoy it now shall we?   thumb.gif 


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off