Share ideas for snacks with some protein? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

these cookies are amazing.  I will let my daughter have one of these at breakfast. Me and my friends have tinkered with the recipie a bit- you can comfortably  half the sugar, and changing it for honey is really yummy. you can also add peanut butter and cut the oil. and add hemp hearts, or even nuts. wheat flour and regular milk work just fine too, if that's how you roll.

http://www.planetorganic.ca/goodfood/recipecorner/sweets/cosmiccookies 

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

#32 of 40 Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Oh, I wasn't even thinking of suggesting things from our diet- thanks for the cookie reminder:)  We use almond flour or cashew nut butter (soaked and then blended) in place of regular flour in cooking making everything "high protein".  We are eatign cashew bread with salmon avacado spread for lunch today- YUM:)

Here is a bread/ cake recipe:

1 cup honey (I use 5 soaked dates or if you cook with honey I would use 1/4 cup)

18 oz. cashew butter (approx. 2 cups before soaking)
1/2 cup oil or melted butter (I use cold pressed organic coconut oil)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I use 1/2 tspn b/c not supposed to use on my diet)
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 T vanilla or both
10 eggs

In a food processor, mix the cashew butter and honey. Add oil, baking soda, and cinnamon/vanilla. Mix in the eggs. Bake @ 300 degrees for 50 min. in 2 greased square cake pans.

To make bread, leave out the honey/cinn/vanilla and add 1 tsp. salt. I also add assorted seasonings (today we did onions, cilantro, and parsley. 

Bake in greased loaf pan. I usually mix up the batter without these ingredients, split batter into 2. Pour one half into loaf pan for bread. Add honey and flavorings to other half and make cake.

Can also add 2 bananas, mashed, for banana cake. Or 3/4 cup mashed butternut squash and/or ginger/cloves for spice cake. Using pecan nut butter and lots of spices resembles gingerbread. It's a very versatile recipe!

Make cashew butter from soaked nuts a la NT procedure. Make sure to rinse nuts before drying so they are not too salty. Also, some oil may need to be added to the nuts at the end of processing to butter in the fp to get it completely smooth. (I don't dry the nuts, just let them dry in my nut milk bag and then use).

Also elana's pantry has good almond flour recipes:)

#33 of 40 Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM

I'll second the Greek Yoghurt! (or is it third or fourth it?) I've always liked regular yoghurt, but not loved it. Last week I finally tried Greek yoghurt.. and I'm addicted! That stuff is better than cheesecake!! Now to figure out how to make it at home...

Thanks for the quinoa reminder. I have some in my cupboard, but had forgotten about it. I'm going to make some for dinner tonight. =)

For emergency protein, I picked up some protein shakes. They have a few ingredients I'm not thrilled about (like sucralose, but it's waaay down the ing. list) but I figure that it won't be too bad as long as I'm not having more than one or two a week. I keep one in my car in case I get a low protein headache. And I had one the other day when I got really busy and didn't have time to eat. The ones I got are too sweet for my taste, but they work when I don't have anything else. :/

One other snack I do like it bean dip. A little toasted pita and some black bean dip, warm or chilled, yum! The best part is that you can season it according to your current craving.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#34 of 40 Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM

I'm trying my hand at making my own right now! I'm using the crockpot recipe here and then I'm going to strain it when it's done to make it greek-style. The bonus is that the liquid that drains off is whey, which you can soak grains in or mix into smoothies for extra protein too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRose View Post

I'll second the Greek Yoghurt! (or is it third or fourth it?) I've always liked regular yoghurt, but not loved it. Last week I finally tried Greek yoghurt.. and I'm addicted! That stuff is better than cheesecake!! Now to figure out how to make it at home...

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#35 of 40 Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM

You know, we just made vegetarian tamales here (filled with refried black beans), and the whole family ate them like candy for a couple days straight! They take a little time to make, but they aren't hard (especially if you use store-bought refried beans). They are fine room temp, or you can reheat them quickly. This is the recipe I used: http://www.chow.com/recipes/13485-vegan-black-bean-tamales I didn't have shortening on hand, so subbed 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 butter, and they turned out great!

#36 of 40 Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs.mom06 View Post

I'm trying my hand at making my own right now! I'm using the crockpot recipe here and then I'm going to strain it when it's done to make it greek-style. The bonus is that the liquid that drains off is whey, which you can soak grains in or mix into smoothies for extra protein too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRose View Post

I love using the crock pot to make yogurt!  It turns out perfect!  I didn't know about the straining to make greek style.  I'll have to read up on that.  We used to go through tons of yogurt when I was making soaked pancakes every day for breakfast.  I need to get back into that!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#37 of 40 Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM

We eat a lot of quinoa fritters at my house (my picky toddler enjoys them). They make a great veggie burger too!

here's how I do it: cook equal parts quinoa and red lentils (I mix in shredded carrot, olive oil, and salt too) in water like you're cooking a grain (i.e. 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa/lentils).  Mix with beaten egg and breadcrumbs (or chickpea flour, or anything else) to the right consistency. Fry in small patties.

I also mix in broccoli or other veggies. You can really flavor them however you want. I often use cumin, I think other herbs/spices would be nice.

Enjoy!

Musical mom to DD (5/24/09) and expecting #2 in July 2011!whistling.gif
#38 of 40 Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 PM

I like almond butter with apple slices, or on crackers...i also recently found a great protein powder with no soy (i'm kinda soy sensitive), that I blend with varying things, like yogurt, or non-dairy drink and fruit. Meat meat meat. Sprouted bread. Home-ground multi-grain cereal, 2 parts rye berries, 1 part each: wehani rice, spelt, kamut. WE grind in a grain grinder. Bagel with cream cheese and lox. I know some of these are dairy, but it's what I eat. Also, sesame tahini sauce (Goddess dressing, or homemade, 1/3 c. tahini, juice from one or more lemons, one clove garlic crushed, salt or tamari, mix till blended and then dilute with warm water to desired consistency) on rice or rice and veggies, baked tofu.

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#39 of 40 Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I'm trying my hand at making my own right now! I'm using the crockpot recipe here and then I'm going to strain it when it's done to make it greek-style. The bonus is that the liquid that drains off is whey, which you can soak grains in or mix into smoothies for extra protein too smile.gif

You'll have to let us know how it turns out. =) I've made regular yoghurt before, but I'm out of the habit.

aet.tea, those quinoa fritters sound good, I'll have to try that. =)

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#40 of 40 Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Hemp seeds! Add them to smoothies or baked goodies. smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page