Braxton Hicks at 15 weeks..normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember getting them pretty early on with my DD, like around 18 weeks or so. I just want to be sure having them earlier on isn't something to be concerned about.

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#2 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

I started having them at about 16 weeks with DS, and this time, they started at about 11 weeks, I think.  I've read that they tend to come on earlier with subsequent pregnancies, so I was expecting them, I just didn't expect them quite this soon (I'm 13w5d right now.)  But yes, I think it's normal.  In fact, I seem to remember my MW last time telling me that most women do have them throughout pregnancy, but just don't feel them until later...I guess we're just the lucky ones, huh?

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Can someone try to describe what Braxton Hicks contractions feel like at this point?  The only contractions I ever felt with my DD's pregnancy were pitocin induced, unfortunately.  I think I may be experiencing BHs now (17w2d)--a kind of cramping, rolling feeling--but not sure if that's just my uterus expanding with the baby's growth (or are BHs related to that growth)?  Instead of googling it, thought I'd ask here.  I'm sure they're hard to describe, though.

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

#4 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM

I'm 15w now and haven't felt a BH yet in this pregnancy, so this is my memory from my first pregnancy. I would describe a BH as a squeezing, tightening feeling in your belly. At first I didn't even feel them at all and only noticed it was happening because I could feel my uterus get rock hard. Then later in the pregnancy (like 3rd tri I guess) they got more intense--sometimes it felt like my breath was being squeezed out of me and I'd have to pause what I was doing for a second. So, sometimes intense or uncomfortable, but always painless.

You may never feel them at all, but if you nottice your uterus getting really hard for a few seconds, you're probably having a BH. If you want to do a little experiment, *grin* you might notice the same sort of feeling right after you orgasm.
#5 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM

I felt them last pregnancy at 17 weeks. This one about the same, 16-17 weeks.

I'm a  Christian, homeschooling, kinda crunchy mama to 3, lucky step-mom to 1 and expecting a new firecracker in Julysaynovax.gifhomeschool.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gif
#6 of 8 Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know that it is normal! They're not very common yet, but I enjoy feeling them..it's kind of like my womb giving the little one a hug :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinstar View Post

Can someone try to describe what Braxton Hicks contractions feel like at this point?  The only contractions I ever felt with my DD's pregnancy were pitocin induced, unfortunately.  I think I may be experiencing BHs now (17w2d)--a kind of cramping, rolling feeling--but not sure if that's just my uterus expanding with the baby's growth (or are BHs related to that growth)?  Instead of googling it, thought I'd ask here.  I'm sure they're hard to describe, though.

They are basically "warm-up" contractions..but painless. Your uterus will get really hard and tight..The farther along you get the more noticable they will become. Oh, and sex and orgasm can cause them :) I remember with my DD seeing my uterus ball up and we thought it was so funky looking haha. At that time I had no idea what was going on so I asked my midwife and she explained. If you have more than 5 or so in an hour, it can be something to worry about..lack of rest and dehydration can cause them also.

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 PM

I got them early on last pg too, though I don't remember when they started unfortunately.  Mine were intense also, and I have to say they were painful at times - and I'm not a sissy type ;). And the frequency/intensity increased the further along I got.

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#8 of 8 Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Thank you for the descriptions of what BHs feel like.  I guess I haven't been experiencing them.  But, I'll know what they are if I do!

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page