Hypnobabies vs Hypnobirthing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

Baby #1 here!  Yeah!  We are planning a home birth in a pool.  

We have a local center that offers the HypnoBIRTHING class in-person for $300 AND it includes 2 breastfeeding classes.

Or, I have found the HypnoBABIES home class for $150.  

The money is not an issue if the class is worth it.  

Thank you!

Mrs B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Between the two, I have heard better things about hypnobabies.  I tried hypnobirthing with my third birth and while I think it helped some, it was nowhere near painless as the book claims it should be.  I had a meeting with an instructor once, just as she was moving away and did the rest at home on my own, I had dh read me the scipts as well as listening to the rainbow relaxation and affirmations cd everyday for 3/4ths of the pregnancy.  Because I felt like I was able to relax better and the birth was a bit less painful than my 1st and 2nd, I gave my sister the materials for her third birth, she felt about the same way about it as I did.  She then tried hypnobabies homestudy for her 4th birth and had a wonderful and almost painfree birth, the midwife didn't even make it in time because she was still feeling like she was just having braxton hicks until the last hour of the labor.  She gave me her materials this time (for my 5th birth) and I'm going to try out hypnobabies, I actually started the first lesson last week and am loving the wonderful relaxation already!  Good luck with whatever you choose:)

#3 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the review!

Since I can purchase the HypnoBabies on e Bay, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase it NOW (15 weeks), just to start listening to the CDs.  

Because we're doing a home-birth, I'm not really in a position to meet other moms-to-be at classes and such...so then maybe I'll do the HypnoBirth CLASS for the social aspects with other moms.  

How stupid does that sound?

Mrs B

#4 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM

I've heard better things about Hypnobabies, too. I have the Hypnobirthing book but haven't read it yet. I loaned it to a friend who's due in March so hope to get it back soon. My CPM is not a fan of it. She said her experience was that some mothers were so good at putting themselves in trances and becoming so relaxed that labor would actually stop.

IMO, labor and childbirth is not supposed to be painless. I have heard that thinking that if you follow a certain set of tactics or plans or whatever (like they teach in Hypnobirthing) you will have a painless birth can lead to unrealistic expectations. I think it's more about knowing and understanding what to expect and having some ideas of ways to cope with the pain/discomfort. The big thing for me is to remember that it's not bad pain. It's not going to kill me, and it won't last forever. It's good pain because it means my baby is about to be born and once s/he is the pain will be gone.

I think it's also very important to have someone (not your SO) who can provide you with the support and guidance that you need during labor. For some that may be a doula or their mother or sister or best friend or their midwife. I say not your SO because most men, especially the first time, cannot possibly know and understand what is going on and they are so emotionally to the laboring woman that they can lose perspective. There are some exceptions but not many.

I'm not saying don't prepare by taking a class or reading books and practicing and such. Just don't get so stuck in doing it a certain way that you get lost if things don't go the way you planned.

I forgot to say that I've done Lamaze and Bradley and, like I said, I'm planning to read the Hypnobirthing book this time. There aren't any new classes available in my area. When it came down to it, everything I read and learned and practiced went out the window and I just had to do my own thing.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM

I am planning on Hypnobabies this time. I read the Hypnobirthing book the first time around, and I agree that it sets you up to feel like you "failed" if your birth isn't pain-free, and doesn't seem to give you a whole lot of strategies for if you actually do feel pain. I am choosing Hypnobabies because I've heard amazing things about it, virtually everyone I know who has had their baby accidentally at home, accidentally UC, accidentally in the car on their way to the hospital has used Hypnobabies. To me, that's a testament to the fact that it WORKS :)

ETA: here is a link that compares the two

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#6 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM

I've done Hypnobabies three times. My first pregnancy, I started a live class for Hypnobirthing and then at the very end of the pregnancy felt like I was scrambling for something more detailed. Which is when I found Hypnobabies.

I would suggest going straight for the Hypnobabies homestudy, and NOT wasting your money on "socialization" purposes. I would feel pretty conflicted between the two classes teachings, but maybe that's just me. Hypnobabies has it ALL, and doesn't focus on that "pain free" birth. They focus on your self-empowerment and birthing choices. The medical hypnosis is just goes right along with it to help you have a calm and satisfying birth experience. The plus being that many moms do feel more "pressure" than pain.

If you're wanting to meet other pregnant moms I would suggest trying meetup.com!

#7 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

I have ordered the HypnoBabies course AND some supplemental CDs...and they'll be here on Saturday!  I am so excited about getting a full-night's sleep, I could just scream!

Mrs B

#8 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm about 7 months along and I'm SO excited to start hypnobabies. I just borrowed the CDs but I don't have the workbook.....I looked in the HB website but it doesn't look like you can just order or download the workbook by itself. I might just give them a call. Do you need the work book?

#9 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post

I have ordered the HypnoBabies course AND some supplemental CDs...and they'll be here on Saturday!  I am so excited about getting a full-night's sleep, I could just scream!

Mrs B

Yea!!  Let us know how it goes.  I started last week (at only 17wks) and am doing each lesson for three weeks, I figure I can use some extra mind reprogamming after having 4 births (all natural, but painful).  So far, I'm really loving it:)

#10 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

It came today!!!!!  Whoooo hoooo!!!!

I can't wait to sit down with everything and work out a plan this weekend!

Mrs B

#11 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 AM

I have done both, and there is just no comparison.   HypnoBabies is just so more comprehensive.  If I had the choice between a Hypnobirthing class and a HypnoBabies homestudy course, I'd do the Hypnobabies homestudy in a heartbeat.

DS (10/03), DD (11/05) and expecting a new one (July 2011)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page